Wednesday, November 16, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck »

MarkBarrett wrote:If the FJ! clue had been: Name another character from Lord of the Flies besides Piggy it would have been a miss for me. With the clue as it was I needed Alex to assure Lily she was correct to know I had it right. [wipes brow]

For many years of watching J! and other game shows I have got by knowing title, author, basic plot, and Piggy. Doing a little research shows I need to have Simon and Ralph in the mix and it won't hurt to tuck away "biguns" and "littluns."
Jack Merridew is a notorious villain in that book, and the murdering, vicious Roger isn't far behind. I could potentially seem them coming up.

In terms of plot, there are a few other things, like Jack's group's obsession with hunting meat, the Christ-like symbolism of Simon, the conch, and the book essentially being a mishmash of Heart of Darkness with The Coral Island.
MarkBarrett wrote: Yes, tough break for Lucia who may have lost out on the finals with a 50/50/90. She reminded me of Niki Peters who played like a streak shooter.
She consistently put herself in the best position to win with correct bets during both the quarterfinals and semifinals, kept her composure when she got down early this game, and played her best when it mattered most. Sometimes that's just not enough, especially with a high variance game like Jeopardy.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Hula is "sensual"?
Many of the ancient kahiko hula are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xr1Wd17w-g
davey

Post by davey »

Read the book many years ago, and Piggy was the only name I could come up with, but I was surprised it was right. Glad I wrote it out of desperation...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Somehow I've avoided reading Lord of the Flies, but I know enough about it to get that FJ correct. I'm pretty much in the Mark Barrett camp, though. I'd be hard-pressed to name another character, although Simon rang a bell when I saw someone answer with that.

Pretty good game. These kids are sharp!
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Can't say I recognize Togo. At least to the point that I couldn't place it on a continent at $200. That whole category was miles over my head, and I saw no way to figure any of those out.
I know there's another thread for this but I'll just point out that the clues were:

1) what continent is togo in
2) what is a french currency
3) what sport is the world cup
4) what transmits malaria
5) what is the muslim holy month

The first is just knowing the countries of the world and the others are like 8th-grade level trivia.

Anyway, on the game: looks like I'm one of the few that got any points in the music category, with j-biebs and t-swizz :P Impressive comeback by Lucia, especially that queen of sheba DD which I embarrassingly didn't know. A good jeopardy moment of the contestants knowing the Hanseatic league (which I expect nearly all american adults to miss) but not what a wreath is.

Somehow got FJ right, even though I wasn't feeling good about it (thought Golding might be American for some reason). Count me among the people who couldn't remember any Lord of the Flies characters besides Piggy.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

rpg wrote: 3) what sport is the world cup
I actually may have clammed on that one. Wasn't sure if it was rugby or soccer.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

rpg wrote: Somehow got FJ right, even though I wasn't feeling good about it (thought Golding might be American for some reason). Count me among the people who couldn't remember any Lord of the Flies characters besides Piggy.
I could recall Jack and Ralph (and Piggy), but not Simon.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

I never read TLotF. I could only come up with Ralph and a character with an "animal" nickname I could not come up with. Dang.
OCSam
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

Was "animal nickname" in the clue? I also said Simon.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

chmmr wrote:Was "animal nickname" in the clue? I also said Simon.
No, it was not.
OCSam
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

That wreath clue falls into a category of clues I hate: asking for something very general at a high value, so I figure the general term would get a BMS, and apparently it wouldn't.

0/5 on the music category.

Got FJ! on the basis of Piggy being the only Lord of the Flies character I could name that I was sure both had lines and died.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $41,200
48 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: christening, wreath, Montgomery, hate crime, Cheyenne

Tough to see Lucia go down like that. She was really impressive. Her missing with Detroit for Lake Michigan-->Chicago two games in a row was pretty funny, though.

I'm pretty sure the sensual Hulu dance involves "and chill."

Rachel Platten was my only get in the music category, and that only because she came up during the 21st Century music ML.

I have never read LoTF and know only Ralph and Piggy, but my coin flip came up a winner.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

rpg wrote:The first is just knowing the countries of the world and the others are like 8th-grade level trivia.
Good thing there were some 8th graders there to answer it! :)
rpg wrote:Anyway, on the game: looks like I'm one of the few that got any points in the music category, with j-biebs and t-swizz :P
Big fat goose egg here. Saw where they were going with the singers (groan, all new music), and hoped an prayed that they threw some fogey music stuff in at the end to stump them.
rpg wrote:Somehow got FJ right, even though I wasn't feeling good about it (thought Golding might be American for some reason). Count me among the people who couldn't remember any Lord of the Flies characters besides Piggy.
Same, it was like "I can't remember any other character name from the book,, so you're going in, Piggy!"
BigDaddyMatty wrote:I'm pretty sure the sensual Hulu dance involves "and chill."
A WINNER IS YOU!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

There are many sports that have world team competitions that are called the World Cup, but I think soccer is the only one asked about on Jeopardy. Here's a Wikipedia list of Champions.

There's a podcast called Sophomore Lit that I've found helpful in learning those novels I never read in school and refreshing those I did read. Interestingly, their first book was Lord of the Flies.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Instaguess FJ for me. I knew it was Lord of the Flies and Piggy was the only character I could remember besides Samneric.

Oddly, I missed all of the songs except the 1000 clue (if they would have accepted just the last name - I had trouble with the first name because I also had a friend whose last name was Platten and I almost said the wrong first name).
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BobF wrote:Oddly, I missed all of the songs except the 1000 clue (if they would have accepted just the last name...
Can't imagine why they wouldn't. I don't know of any other famous musical Plattens. :)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Elijah Baley wrote:For those of us that may have read this before some of these kids' parents were born, a little knowledge was probably helpful. Piggy was the one character I could name.
I've never read the book but kind of sussed it out that this line sounded like that story.

Then Piggy was also the only character I could name.

So I got it, but not exactly my greatest J! get ever.
'
Was it just me or did others think this was an awfully tough clue for teens?
davey

Post by davey »

John Boy wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:For those of us that may have read this before some of these kids' parents were born, a little knowledge was probably helpful. Piggy was the one character I could name.
I've never read the book but kind of sussed it out that this line sounded like that story.

Then Piggy was also the only character I could name.

So I got it, but not exactly my greatest J! get ever.
'
Was it just me or did others think this was an awfully tough clue for teens?
This thread suggests that it's harder for people for whom the book is far in the past than kids who may well have been assigned it recently - or even read it on their own! I doubt Golding would have approved the term, but I get the sense it's a YA staple.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The other thought that came to mind for me was Mowgli from "The Jungle Book." Curious if anyone went with that.

Turns out "The Jungle Book" isn't a novel, but otherwise it seems like a decent guess.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

econgator wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:Oooh, they mixed things up with FJ today. I'll be interested to see the get rate. This would have been a good one for the finals.
Yeah, it's been way too long since I've read the book.
You're a better man than I, Gunga Din. I've never read the book nor seen any movie version, but did read a synopsis some time ago. The correct response was the only character who's name I knew -- but knowing that he met his demise in the book, it was a decent guess for the only guess I had.