Thursday, November 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, November 17, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Elijah Baley »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:The fact that all three of them missed it makes me wonder if maybe they didn't go by there (and shame on the organizers if they did skip Arlington),
Meh. For any visit under two weeks, I'd take another two hours in one of the Smithsonian museums over driving by the Pentagon.
Arlington National Cemetery is pretty significant and I'd say probably worth missing a couple hours at one of the Smithsonian museums. And again, it's pretty hard to drive around DC and Arlington without driving by the Pentagon. Which probably takes all of about 5 minutes with an obligatory "it's one of the largest office buildings in the world" commentary.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Elijah Baley wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:The fact that all three of them missed it makes me wonder if maybe they didn't go by there (and shame on the organizers if they did skip Arlington),
Meh. For any visit under two weeks, I'd take another two hours in one of the Smithsonian museums over driving by the Pentagon.
Arlington National Cemetery is pretty significant and I'd say probably worth missing a couple hours at one of the Smithsonian museums. And again, it's pretty hard to drive around DC and Arlington without driving by the Pentagon. Which probably takes all of about 5 minutes with an obligatory "it's one of the largest office buildings in the world" commentary.
Fair enough.
davey

Post by davey »

I'm on the side that the FJ was really easy but I still managed to miss it. I think the "city within a city" is what threw me, since the Pentagon seems set apart on the other side of the Potomac. I suppose that's a technicality, but maybe it threw the kids too. Really, the wartime date should have done it. I said the Forbidden City too, though I know it's an ancient structure (or from the 15th C. actually)...
Loved that ending!
Last edited by davey on Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

When I was these kids' age, I had read Washington Goes to War by David Brinkley -- which is about life in Washington, D.C., during World War II -- so I actually know this FJ would have been an instaget for me 25 years ago.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Alec's reaction when he won was great!

Surprised all three missed that FJ. Certainly a step up in difficulty from the quarter final matches FJs, but I wuld have thought at least one of them would have gotten it.
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Alec's reaction when he won was great!

Surprised all three missed that FJ. Certainly a step up in difficulty from the quarter final matches FJs, but I wuld have thought at least one of them would have gotten it.
I was in the audience with the other semifinalists + Jack (alternate), and not a single one of us knew the answer. We did not go by the Pentagon, though Alec has been to Arlington for History Bowl.
2016 Teen Tournament contestant
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

geolawyerman wrote:

I was in the audience with the other semifinalists + Jack (alternate), and not a single one of us knew the answer. We did not go by the Pentagon, though Alec has been to Arlington for History Bowl.
Huh, interesting. I guess we'll see how this one plays out on the weekly poll.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $42,400
53 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Carnival, For Whom The Bell Tolls, The Color Purple, Gettysburg, prehensile

#smartwagersmatter

The Pentagon never occurred to me. I went with the Kremlin.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Events for $200 was a coinflip on Veterans/Memorial IMO.
The clue mentioned that the dedication was in November.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
geolawyerman wrote:

Huh, interesting. I guess we'll see how this one plays out on the weekly poll.
I'd say that FJ would make a great LL question. But 30 seconds? There's a lot there to digest.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I guess it boils down to "what's a huge building that was built during WWII?"
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Amusingly, I asked the FJ clue to a friend of mine who works for the Department of Defense.

She didn't get it.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

davey wrote:the "city within a city" is what threw me
This is one of those questions where knowing too much can hurt you--in this case, if you knew that the Pentagon is not even in a city.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Robert K S wrote:
This is one of those questions where knowing too much can hurt you--in this case, if you knew that the Pentagon is not even in a city.
A population of 225,000 is not big enough to be called a city for you?
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
OldSchoolChamp

Post by OldSchoolChamp »

Elijah Baley wrote:For a tourney where a lot of the kids have been making fairly savvy FJ wagers, that was a very rough moment for Connor and Emily. It just goes to show the importance of wagering strategy.
We all understand that a player in Emily’s position should bet small enough to keep Connor locked out, knowing that Alec will have to make a big shutout bet and just hoping he misses the question. But I also have to wonder if players in that position (and especially young kids like these) aren’t perhaps influenced by Alex’s stupid “they have to guard against each other” remark. No, Alex: Alec has to guard against Emily, but Emily doesn’t have to guard against Alec; she just has to sit tight and hope to win by jujitsu. The time when the two leaders really do have to “guard against each other” is when all three scores are close going into FJ—not in a game like this where they’re close to each other but the third player trails a long way behind.

I get it that Alex is just trying to say something encouraging for Connor’s benefit and to create a sense of drama for the viewing audience. The players should just ignore him and think for themselves about their wagering strategy; but I also think he may be inappropriately planting a seed of bad strategy in a player like Emily’s mind. After all his years on the show, he should have a better understanding of his own damn game. I just about bust a gut every time I hear him say it; he ought to just cut it the hell out.
We shall not cease from exploration,
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
OldSchoolChamp

Post by OldSchoolChamp »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Events for $200 was a coinflip on Veterans/Memorial IMO.
The clue mentioned that the dedication was in November.
. . . except that in 1923 they weren’t Veterans’ and Memorial Day, they were Armistice and Decoration Day.
We shall not cease from exploration,
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
Bob Shoemaker
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Bob Shoemaker »

Hello,

Can anyone remember the question about the river in Asia? How was it phrased?

I was across the room but I thought the question asked what is the longest river in Asia?

Thank you,

Bob
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

OldSchoolChamp wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:For a tourney where a lot of the kids have been making fairly savvy FJ wagers, that was a very rough moment for Connor and Emily. It just goes to show the importance of wagering strategy.
We all understand that a player in Emily’s position should bet small enough to keep Connor locked out, knowing that Alec will have to make a big shutout bet and just hoping he misses the question. But I also have to wonder if players in that position (and especially young kids like these) aren’t perhaps influenced by Alex’s stupid “they have to guard against each other” remark. No, Alex: Alec has to guard against Emily, but Emily doesn’t have to guard against Alec; she just has to sit tight and hope to win by jujitsu. The time when the two leaders really do have to “guard against each other” is when all three scores are close going into FJ—not in a game like this where they’re close to each other but the third player trails a long way behind.

I get it that Alex is just trying to say something encouraging for Connor’s benefit and to create a sense of drama for the viewing audience. The players should just ignore him and think for themselves about their wagering strategy; but I also think he may be inappropriately planting a seed of bad strategy in a player like Emily’s mind. After all his years on the show, he should have a better understanding of his own damn game. I just about bust a gut every time I hear him say it; he ought to just cut it the hell out.
I agree, particularly when the contestants are teens - adults and I'm not as concerned if they're dumb enough to listen to Alex.

That said, he practically shouted at Connor not to bet anything - which I agree is unfair to the other players - but unfortunately for Connor, he probably just didn't understand what Alex was telling him. (Or, maybe he thought - "hey, Alex doesn't seem to know this game as well as he should so I'm just going to tune him out!").
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

silverscreentest wrote:
Robert K S wrote:
A population of 225,000 is not big enough to be called a city for you?
What's the problem with what he said? I thought that Arlington County was unincorporated.

It's the same problem I have with, being originally from New England, them asking for "cities" that are actually incorporated as New England towns (such as Concord/Lexington, Mass.).
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Sad to say, the construction date of the Pentagon was something I'd never really considered. I knew it was a mid-20th C building, but hadn't pegged it for a wartime construction. My thinking went to the Forbidden City and the Kremlin, thinking of large fortifications within cities, despite knowing full well that both dated back to well before the 20th C. Same problem with Edo Palace, which I also considered. My lame rationalization at the time was that maybe the Forbidden City wasn't completed until 1943 despite having been largely completed centuries earlier (yeah, the Kuomintang had nothing better to do with their time and efforts during the Sino-Japanese War than some late masonry work :oops: )
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Or just have them watch X-Men - Days of Future Past