Friday, November 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mfc248
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, November 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mfc248 »

IronNeck wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
Michael: You are 2-0 playing from the champ's podium. With the high score of the semis that gets you back at position 1 for the finals, right? Well done in your two games that aired this week.
I'm actually curious; how do they determine this? And for that matter, how do they determine which quarterfinalist winner and wildcard plays in which semifinal?
Podium position in the semifinals and the two-day, total-point affair is determined by final score in the previous round. (In the quarterfinals, it depends on the tournament being contested.*)

How they draw the QF winners and the wild cards into the semifinals remains generally a mystery to us, beyond the fact that players who met in a QF will not rematch in an SF.

* ToC QF positions are based on previous winnings; in Teen, College, and Teachers, it's alphabetical order, left to right on your television screen.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

IronNeck wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
Michael: You are 2-0 playing from the champ's podium. With the high score of the semis that gets you back at position 1 for the finals, right? Well done in your two games that aired this week.
I'm actually curious; how do they determine this? And for that matter, how do they determine which quarterfinalist winner and wildcard plays in which semifinal?
Finalists are ordered by their scores in the semis.

The Powers That Be put together the semifinal matchups (and the QFs', for that matter) based on what combinations they think will produce the most interesting games. How they determine this is unknown.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Congrats to Michael and may the retroluck be with him.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

They should decide the airdates before taping, so we don't see Alex mouth "tomorrow" while hearing the voiceover "Monday" (among other errors & edits throughout the tourney).
Spoiler
And I wonder how many folks at home were shaking their heads the other day, with Alex saying "The baseball season is now underway", just days after the historic end to a 108-year drought.

And there was something else about presidential elections IIRC.
Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget somehow idk it just popped for me. IMHO some of the clues for the teens are tougher than regular games! Kudos to the youngsters for super game play!! 8-)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $34,200
46 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: peanut brittle, X-rays

Great game, Michael. Absolutely dominant. Good retroluck in the final. I am so glad I didn't get into the teen tournament when I was in school. These kids would've kicked my butt.

On FJ! I kept trying to get away from "maelstrom" and come up with the geometric term for a meeting point, but it just wasn't happening.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Why didn't just "brittle" get a BMS?
Because it didn't fit the category (e.g., "peanut").
Sprinkles are for winners.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: On FJ! I kept trying to get away from "maelstrom" and come up with the geometric term for a meeting point, but it just wasn't happening.
Same here. Sometimes the clues that look like they're in your wheelhouse end up being in the outhouse. Total head-slapper when I saw the correct response. It doesn't help that "vertex" has more than one mathematical meaning (e.g., the maximum or minimum of a parabola). There goes my perfect week.
Hoping for a third lap
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Still, there's only one thing that "brittle" could possibly mean in that context, and that's peanut brittle. She should've at least gotten a pause to add "peanut" instead of insta-neg.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Still, there's only one thing that "brittle" could possibly mean in that context, and that's peanut brittle. She should've at least gotten a pause to add "peanut" instead of insta-neg.
If I recall correctly, there was a pause, and more than just a small one. It seemed to me that Alex was trying to prompt her non-verbally. Her lights were clearly counting down until they went out, and only then did Alex neg her.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
There's only one Turgenev (THE "I.T." GUY, $2,000), and only one outlaw named Nelson (I WANT MY "BABY" BACK, "BABY" BACK, $1,000); however unambiguous a response is, if it doesn't fit a criterion specifically given by the category, it's wrong and deserves an insta-neg just as much as a correct response not given as a question.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote:The Powers That Be put together the semifinal matchups (and the QFs', for that matter) based on what combinations they think will produce the most interesting games.
I'm surprised S&P would allow that. I would have thought it would need to be random to avoid any possibility of potential favoritism.
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
seaborgium wrote:The Powers That Be put together the semifinal matchups (and the QFs', for that matter) based on what combinations they think will produce the most interesting games.
I'm surprised S&P would allow that. I would have thought it would need to be random to avoid any possibility of potential favoritism.
There may also have been geographic (Lucia and Alec in separate games) and gender (at least one girl in every game) considerations. I also knew Lucia, so they may have wanted to keep us separate as well.
2016 Teen Tournament contestant
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

geolawyerman wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
There may also have been geographic (Lucia and Alec in separate games) and gender (at least one girl in every game) considerations. I also knew Lucia, so they may have wanted to keep us separate as well.
Did they ask you about that before the tapings? "Hey, have you known any of these other contestants personally beforehand?"
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Congratulations, Michael! Well done, sir!

I kept trying at it in two directions -- node and eddy (figuring something like whirlpool was too long). Nothing seemed to work. Neither vortex nor vertex occurred to me.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

econgator wrote:Is there some reason I should have known to go with FedEx on that Business clue?
Because it's not H&R Block?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

IronNeck wrote:
geolawyerman wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Did they ask you about that before the tapings? "Hey, have you known any of these other contestants personally beforehand?"
That might fall under The Paperwork, I know when I filled mine out, it asked "Do you know, or have you communicated with anyone who has appeared as a contestant on Jeopardy!?" (I knew there was a reason I kept my copy of The Paperwork!) Although, yeah, that kinda only covers those that already appeared. (To be safe, when I filled mine out (which had 76 names on 6 pages (also detailing extent of communication with said person - the joys of being a boardie) I also added in some people who I've communicated with a lot who I know were in the pool (or were auditioning the same day or next day as me) as a precaution.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

IronNeck wrote:Edit- Also like Michael's continued DD hunting.
This is why having boardies on the show makes for great TV like that.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Michael, you looked hell of impressive to me in your semifinal: poised, confident and with good strategic savvy. It also doesn't hurt that you're good on the buzzer and know a few things, too! :mrgreen: I really enjoyed watching this game and I felt that it was one of the best played games of the tournament. I'm looking forward to the finals. I kept trying to think of who you reminded me of and I think that I've got it: a young Cris Collinsworth (much less annoying to listen to, though) :mrgreen:
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Bamaman wrote:Sounds like they would have to take UPS. But the girl who got the clue is from Memphis so that is probably why she went with them.
Except that the clue was going for the company that says things about its service. If UPS never made these exact claims, particularly the 99% of world GDP thing, then FedEx would be the only answer. But I agree that it's still a bad clue.
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman »

Woof wrote:Michael, you looked hell of impressive to me in your semifinal: poised, confident and with good strategic savvy. It also doesn't hurt that you're good on the buzzer and know a few things, too! :mrgreen: I really enjoyed watching this game and I felt that it was one of the best played games of the tournament. I'm looking forward to the finals. I kept trying to think of who you reminded me of and I think that I've got it: a young Cris Collinsworth (much less annoying to listen to, though) :mrgreen:
Thanks for the kind words! And thanks to everyone else who made similar compliments.
2016 Teen Tournament contestant