Tuesday, November 22, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7407, 2016-11-22

2016 Teen Tournament final game 2.
From DAR Constitution Hall in Washington, D.C.

CONTESTANTS
Alec Fischthal, a junior from North Woodmere, New York
Sharath Narayan, a sophomore from Madison, Alabama
Michael Borecki, a junior from Darien, Connecticut

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny, for the last time here in D.C. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. This, to be honest with you is a bittersweet moment for me, and I'll tell you why. At the end of this half-hour, these three young men are going to be leaving here very happy. The champion with $100,000, the second place finisher with a guaranteed $50,000, the third place finisher with a guaranteed $25,000. But I'm going to be leaving here with a tinge of sadness, because of all the wonderful people we have met here at DAR Constitution Hall. We'll get rid of the dollar figures in front of Alec and Sharath. They start from 0 today. We add today's total to yesterday's total to determine the champ. Good luck. Here we go.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PLURALIZE IT! (5/5) (Alex: And we're dealing here with pluralizing that does not end with the letter S.)
POETRY FILL IN THE BLANK (5/5)
PLAY BALL! (5/5)
WHO (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WHAT (4/5)
WEAR (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alec: 11 R, 1 W
Sharath: 10 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Michael: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sharath found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. Michael had $600, Sharath had $2,600, and Alec was at $4,000. Sharath wagered $2,000.

WHO $600: The bridge seen here was designed in the 1870s by this French engineer
(Sharath: Who is Le Corbusier?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Alec: $5,000
Sharath: $1,400
Michael: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Alec, as you know, on the second day of our finals, our contestants get to talk about anything they want to talk about.

Alec: All right. I just want to thank everyone who's been behind me this whole time: my family, my mom, my grandma, my quiz bowl team. Everyone who's sort of pushed me along the way.

Alex: If you had to tell me that this is my weakest subject, what would it be?

Alec: Here, it's definitely the pop culture stuff, I think. Actually, I studied pop culture, so...

[Laughter]

Alex: And how old are you?

Alec: I'm 16.

Alex: And you're right in the middle of pop culture.

Alec: That's right.

Alex: Okay.

Alec: That's right.

Alex: Sharath, over to you now.

Sharath: I'd like to thank my family, my friends, everyone who's really supported me, my quiz bowl coaches, my quiz bowl team. Everyone who's helped me learn and really advance.

Alex: Well, when did it first come to you as an idea that you should try out for Teen Jeopardy!? How long ago?

Sharath: Ooh, I've been watching Jeopardy! for a long time. So I tried out for the Kids' Week, and I didn't make that. But this time was the first time I got called back for an audition, so I just tried to--decided to do it.

Alex: All right. You're this far.

Alex: Okay, Michael, over to you now.

Michael: All right. I guess I'd also like to thank all the people who have helped me get this far. I'd like to thank my family, including my mom, my dad and my two sisters, who are all here today. And--

Alex: Have your sisters been teasing you about your appearance on Jeopardy!?

Michael: No, not at all.

Alex: Not at all. They're so supportive?

Michael: Yeah.

Alex: You have good sisters.

Michael: Yes. And I'd also like to thank my Geography Bee coach, Barbara Ivey, who was the first person to tell me to try out for Jeopardy!

Alex: And she knows that geography often comes up as a category on this program.

Michael: Yes.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WHAT $1000: It's the lively American breed of dog seen here
(Sharath: What is a terrier?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Sharath: Yorkshire terrier?)
(Michael: What is a Jack Russell terrier?)

WEAR $400: The style of women's jeans named for this type of guy is basically the opposite of skinny jeans

WEAR $1000: An iconic boot from this brand is seen here
(Alec: What is Timberland?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Alec: $6,400
Sharath: $2,000
Michael: $1,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IN THE RED (5/5)
ARTISTES (4/5)
INANIMATE OBJECTS? (3/5)
YOU DO THE GEOGRAPHIC MATH (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"PING" ME (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
EWWW! GROSS! (4/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sharath: 12 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Michael: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Alec: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sharath snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. Michael had $2,000, Sharath had $5,200, and Alec was at $6,400. Sharath wagered $3,000.

YOU DO THE GEOGRAPHIC MATH $1200: The number of Great Lakes times the number of countries that border the United States
(Alex: 5 Great Lakes, 2 countries, Canada and Mexico.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Sharath who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Michael had $6,800, Sharath had $9,800, and Alec was at $11,600. Sharath wagered $3,000.

"PING" ME $2000: It's the job of U.N. troops placed between hostile factions
(Alex: Sharath?)
(Sharath: What is mediating?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ARTISTES $2000: Self-taught artists, like Camille Bombois are called naive, or this term, like cavemen

"PING" ME $1200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew gives the clue.) I'm about to show you what a football official would signal when a blocker commits this personal foul
(Michael: What is tripping?)

INANIMATE OBJECTS? $1600: This "South Park" character has a child named Washcloth

INANIMATE OBJECTS? $2000: On "Adventure Time", this fun-loving robotic gaming device lives with Finn & Jake

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Alec: $11,600
Sharath: $10,800
Michael: $7,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EARLY AMERICA

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place; two-thirds (exactly) for second place.
Alec: Wager $10,001 to cover Sharath.
Sharath: Wager exactly $3,600.
Michael: Bet either $0 to beat Alec and Sharath on the Triple Stumper; or, if you think Sharath is going to wager small in hopes of a Triple Stumper, wager $7,200.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
William Bradford wrote that this document was partly inspired by the "mutinous speeches" of some passengers

FINAL SCORES
Michael: $7,200 + $7,000 = $14,200 = $14,200 cumulative (What is the Mayflower Compact?) (1st runner-up)
Sharath: $10,800 + $901 = $11,701 = $39,701 cumulative (What is the Mayflower Compact) (2nd runner-up)
Alec: $11,600 + $11,600 = $23,200 = $39,700 cumulative (What is Mayflower Compact?) (Tournament champion)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sharath: $14,000, 22 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 2 DDs)
Alec: $11,600, 17 R, 2 W
Michael: $7,200, 11 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $32,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Sharath: 23/61 = .377
Alec: 18/58 = .310
Michael: 12/58 = .207
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
WHO $200: Elizabeth Cady Stanton is seen here with this great woman, who is on the left

WHAT $600: Closely related to seahorses, a leafy sea this can be 14 inches in length-- no fire-breathing, though

YOU DO THE GEOGRAPHIC MATH $1600: The number of continents minus the number of mountains above 29,000 feet
(Alex: Seven minus one, right.)

"PING" ME $800: Emily Post says 15-20 % for this is standard if the service has been good & cash is preferred
(Sharath: What is a tip?)

YOU DO THE GEOGRAPHIC MATH $2000: The number of U.S. states on the Pacific Ocean squared
(Sharath: What is 9?)
(Alec: What is 16?)
(Alex: You forgot about Alaska and Hawaii.)

EWWW! GROSS! $2000: The book "Dog Breath" is about a dog named this, who lives with the Tosis family
(Alex: The Horrible Trouble with [*]. That's the subtitle of the book.)

EWWW! GROSS! $1200: When you smell rotten eggs, it's probably this pungent gas, H2S
(Alex: Yes, with less than a minute to go now.)

YOU DO THE GEOGRAPHIC MATH $800: The number of countries that begin with Q times the number of countries that begin with X
(Alex: Qatar is the only country.)

YOU DO THE GEOGRAPHIC MATH $400: The number of American colonies at the time of the Revolution plus the number of states today
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Gustave Eiffel
a Boston bull terrier
boyfriend jeans
Dr. Martens
peacekeeping
primitive
clipping
Towelie
BMO
the Mayflower Compact
Susan B. Anthony
a seadragon
tipping
Hally Tosis
hydrogen sulfide
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EARLY AMERICA

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
William Bradford wrote that this document was partly inspired by the "mutinous speeches" of some passengers

Michael: 7200+7000=14200=$25,000
Sharath: 10800+901=11701=39,701=$100,000
Alec: 11600+11600=23200=39,700=$50,000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Mayflower Compact

Daily Doubles
Sharath: 2600+2000
Sharath: 5200+3000
Sharath: 9800-3000

Coryats
Michael: 7200
Sharath: 14000
Alec: 11600

Combined: 32,800
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Code: Select all

Michael:     0  7200  7200 14400
Sharath: 28000 10800 38800 49600
Alec:    16500 11600 28100 39700
Sharath: Bet $901 to cover Alec.
Alec: You have to get FJ right to win, and Michael can't catch you no matter what happens. Bet it all.
Michael: You are doubly superlocked into third place. Bet what you want.
Last edited by seaborgium on Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote:Placeholder for wagering suggestions. Watch this space in a little over 12 hours.

Not a lot to suggest today. Michael was guaranteed third even if the others were wiped out. Sharath made the proper wager to win and Alec luckily had nothing to lose by making the all in wager he was forced to make. His reaction suggested he wasn't aware he had lost before Alex announced his grand total. Well, he didn't really lose as he took home $50,000.

Congrats to Michael on a well-played tournament and taking third. I hate a boardie didn't win, but the kid from Alabama won, so I'm happy with the result.

Instaget FJ for me.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Did Sharath have to remember how much he'd have to wager to win by $1, or are the contestants reminded of yesterday's totals before making their wager? I know I didn't remember the amount.

Alex seemed to be in a big hurry to neg "tip" when "tipping" was needed. I was surprised Alex didn't give one of his usual slight pauses to give a chance to correct.

I said whale instead of sperm whale on the ambergris clue. Didn't count that for or against me, though I probably would not have gotten it on a BMS. Not sure whether Alex would've asked for a BMS on that one, though.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Vowela wrote:Alex seemed to be in a big hurry to neg "tip" when "tipping" was needed. I was surprised Alex didn't give one of his usual slight pauses to give a chance to correct.
Seemed like that part was edited. Alex might've given a "correct" response forgetting the category and had the judges rule incorrect.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I said whale and I think that would have been fine.

There may have been an edit on tip. Glad that mistake didn't cost him the tournament.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I knew it was "road less traveled ___" but not the word after that. Outright didn't know the Angelou, Sandburg, or Nash poems.

WLT Susan B. Anthony at $200? Saw no way to get Eiffel on the DD either.

Ran Plurals and Inaminate Objects.

Is Plurals for $400 the first time outside Stupid Answers that the answer has been entirely in the clue?

Didn't recognize anything in Wear except Forever 21.

Lach Trash: primitive, Towelie, BMO.

No guess on FJ!

Geographical Math was hopeless for the most part:

* Number of mountains over 29,000? How does anyone know that?

* Great Lakes times countries that border the US. That I have.

* Pacific Ocean squared? 3x3, right? Wait, what?! NEGBAIT.

* Countries that begin with X? There could be one that does, hell if I know.
Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion

Post by Lumosityfan »

Vowela wrote:Did Sharath have to remember how much he'd have to wager to win by $1, or are the contestants reminded of yesterday's totals before making their wager? I know I didn't remember the amount.

Alex seemed to be in a big hurry to neg "tip" when "tipping" was needed. I was surprised Alex didn't give one of his usual slight pauses to give a chance to correct.

I said whale instead of sperm whale on the ambergris clue. Didn't count that for or against me, though I probably would not have gotten it on a BMS. Not sure whether Alex would've asked for a BMS on that one, though.
Jeopardy! does give a card with the Day 1 totals on them for the players to remember them for wagering on Day 2.
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Do you have it with you during the game to help you on DD wagers?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

That seemed really odd that Alec didn't know how much Sharath needed to wager in order to win. It was plain by looking at the numbers that Alec needed a correct response (and an all-in or very close to all-in bet) and a miss by Sharath in order to win. Once Sharath's response was shown to be correct, Alec should have known immediately that he had come up a dollar short.

Also, Alex always seems to think that it is a complete coincidence that the game was won by a dollar.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

If you are lurking, Sharath, congratulations. Alec, you certainly made it quite a match (and I will be in your neighborhood to orrow). And Geolawyerman, I feel your pain is the best I can say. Hopefully $25k will assuage it.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

jpr281 wrote:
Vowela wrote:Alex seemed to be in a big hurry to neg "tip" when "tipping" was needed. I was surprised Alex didn't give one of his usual slight pauses to give a chance to correct.
Seemed like that part was edited. Alex might've given a "correct" response forgetting the category and had the judges rule incorrect.
Yes indeed seemed like a cut scene edit - clipped sound track. I thought there were a few others towards the end of DJ as well.
Category was "ping" so your response had to include it. Given the generous time spent on long interviews I reckon a lot of clipping was done to make the game fit in the allotted time.

Impressive play from young players IMHO congrats to the hard-earned win!

My daughter, now 11 asked; "How did he know to bet enough to win by $1?!"
A: They give you time to figure it out.
Well done! :P

45R instaget FJ, gets: Boston Bull Terrier (pulling teeth on that one!); 'primitive' = naive artists. Great game with few trash; haven't we recently seen Sea Dragons?! ;)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bpmod wrote:That seemed really odd that Alec didn't know how much Sharath needed to wager in order to win. It was plain by looking at the numbers that Alec needed a correct response (and an all-in or very close to all-in bet) and a miss by Sharath in order to win. Once Sharath's response was shown to be correct, Alec should have known immediately that he had come up a dollar short.
Maybe so. I'd be lucky to know my own name at that point in the proceedings. I'd also assume I had lost and maintain a poker face, but that's just me. Alec's a guy that shows his emotions at the end.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Well, Michael, it was not to be. And Sharath's intelligent wager yesterday means you wouldn't have won today even if you'd remembered Nelson Mandela yesterday. I don't know if that makes this feel better or worse.

But, hey, $25,000, right?* And you looked like you belonged up there. There was nothing inevitable about your third place finish, as though you were outmatched. Those were just the breaks with those particular boards on those particular days. Congrats for making the finals and acquitting yourself well.

* Minus duties, excises, fees, tariffs, taxes, tithes, and tolls.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Great performances by all the finalists. These boards were not as easy as usual. I never got 50 right. :(
I strongly disagree with AT that this was one of the most exciting finishes in recent years. 2014's Teen Tournament ended in a tiebreaker won by lumosityfan.
With harder clues, that "geographic math" category would be great for a TOC.
Hoping for a third lap
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

40/59 right.

Plural (5), Poetry (3), Ball (4), Who (5), What (3), Wear (2)
Red (5), Art (3), Object (2), Geo (4), "PING" (4), Gross (0)

Lach Trash: Gustave Eiffel, clipping; DD- peacekeeping

Instaget FJ.

Good effort from all three, and a tough ending, but credit for getting this far.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote:But, hey, $25,000, right?* And you looked like you belonged up there. There was nothing inevitable about your third place finish, as though you were outmatched. Those were just the breaks with those particular boards on those particular days. Congrats for making the finals and acquitting yourself well.
Agreed. Nice tourney by all three. Michael can definitely hold his head high.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
* Number of mountains over 29,000? How does anyone know that?
It is a famous fact. Mt. Everest is exactly 29,000 feet high, but surveyors falsely reported its height as 29,002 feet in order to keep the true height from sounding like an estimate.

RIP your cat
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.