Wednesday, November 23, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7408, 2016-11-23

CONTESTANTS
Andrew Lee, an aspiring TV writer from West Hollywood, California
Christina Boyadjian, a writer from Boston, Massachusetts
Stephanie Hubley, an executive assistant from Burien, Washington (whose 1-day cash winnings total $4,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I want to start off today's program by once again thanking all the wonderful people in Washington, D.C., who came to see our shows in the Teen Tournament, and the great people at Constitution Hall for making our two-week visit there so enjoyable. And congratulations, of course, to young Mr. Narayan for his $100,000 victory. Stephanie, two weeks ago, you won $4,000. You could build that up to $100,000, as you know. Christina and Andrew are here to stop you. Let's see how that works out. Here we go--the Jeopardy! Round. And now, these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
POTENT POISONABLES (2/3)
CONTINENTS OF NOBEL PRIZE WINNERS (4/5)
CAPTAIN (5/5)
FAMILIAR PHRASES (4/5)
NEWSPAPERS & MAGAZINES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SEASONAL SONGS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Stephanie: 14 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 2 W
Andrew: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Christina: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Stephanie found the Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Stephanie had $1,000, Christina was scoreless, and Andrew had nothing in the bank. Stephanie made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,000.

NEWSPAPERS & MAGAZINES $800: From 1889 until early in the Great Depression, this newspaper rarely reported beyond business & economic news

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Stephanie: $4,600
Andrew: $3,400
Christina: -$1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Andrew Lee has experienced something that many of us would like to say we've experienced, but wouldn't really want to try it. And that is, you had some of the world's...

Andrew: The world's spiciest curry.

Alex: Where?

Andrew: It was in New York City, actually.

Alex: And how do you rate curries, or how did they rate it?

Andrew: Um, I think--

Alex: Did they just say it's the world's spiciest, or is this based on your own--

Andrew: I don't know if I can corroborate their claim, but it's what they say.

Alex: And how bad an experience was it?

Andrew: I don't know if you've ever had a meal that made you hallucinate, Alex.

[Laughter]

Andrew: That was...

Alex: Shh. We don't talk about that. It wasn't a meal. It wasn't a meal.

[Laughter]

Alex: No. Never did. Never did.

Alex: Christina Boyadjian from Boston, Massachusetts, a writer. Now, as I understand it, if my information is correct, you once wrote a dating column that your grandmother, God bless her, loved, but your mom didn't.

Christina: She did like it, because my grandma's a lot spicier than my mom is.

Alex: Oh, really?

Christina: Mm-hmm.

Alex: And that's why your mom frowned on it and got you to stop doing it?

Christina: She was not a fan.

Alex: Why? Why, in particular?

Christina: Well, I'll tell you about it at the commercial break.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Stephanie Hubley is from Burien, Washington, executive assistant, with an interesting bit of history in terms of furniture. I want to hear about that.

Stephanie: Yes. I have a small, octagonal end table in my house that was built with wood from the original White House that burned down in the War of 1812.

Alex: When the British burned it down.

Stephanie: Exactly. It belonged--

Alex: Who saved the wood?

Stephanie: Uh, I don't know. All I know is that the table was bequeathed to my husband by his grandfather. He remarked on it one day, and when his grandfather passed away, he left it to my husband, and I believe his grandfather got it from his grandfather. So, it's been in the family for a long time.

Alex: So, you guys have verified the authenticity of this.

Stephanie: Yes. Mm-hmm.

Alex: All right. Well, good for you. That's nice.

Stephanie: Yes. Yeah.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CONTINENTS OF NOBEL PRIZE WINNERS $600: For Peace,
Lester B. Pearson
(Alex: He was Canadian, so it's [*].

FAMILIAR PHRASES $800: Found in "Macbeth", "at one" this refers to the action of a bird of prey
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now, Stephanie.)

POTENT POISONABLES $1000: O, the poisons I know; don't eat any part of this plant; it's really toxic
(Alex: The O, in this case, comes from [*].)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Stephanie: $7,400
Andrew: $4,000
Christina: $800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SOUTH AMERICAN CITIES (5/5)
SCI-FI TV (4/5)
NONFICTION (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE “MM”EES (5/5) (Alex: Two M's coming up in each correct response.)
ARTS (3/5)
CRAFTS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Andrew: 14 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Stephanie: 7 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Christina: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Stephanie snagged the next Daily Double on the 16th clue. Stephanie had $9,800, Christina had $4,400, and Andrew was at $12,000. Stephanie wagered $3,000.

NONFICTION $1600: The subtitle of this memoir by Elizabeth Wurtzel is "Young and Depressed in America"
(Stephanie: What is Prozac? ...What is [*]?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Stephanie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 18th clue. Stephanie had $14,800, Christina had $4,400, and Andrew was at $12,000. Stephanie wagered $3,000.

CRAFTS $1200: In 1976, with Gene Roddenberry looking on, this space shuttle was rolled out of an Air Force hangar
(Stephanie: What is Discovery?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ARTS $1200: As in Louis Comfort Tiffany's work, an undulating line, often in the form of vine tendrils, is characteristic of this style
(Christina: What is Art Deco?)

ARTS $800: Mozart's Serenade No. 13 in G Major has this nickname that includes the time of day it was intended for
(Christina: What is "Moonlight Sonata"?)

SCI-FI TV $1600: On Syfy's "The expanse", Thomas Jane plays a detective on this asteroid, largest in our main asteroid belt

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Andrew: $19,200
Stephanie: $13,000
Christina: $6,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NAMES IN THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Andrew: Wager $6,801 to cover Stephanie, but no more than $7,199 so as not to fall behind Christina's doubled score.
Stephanie: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $600 (martian), and you'll win the game if Andrew wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Christina: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A newspaper announcing his death in 1801 said he died in England & was "notorious throughout the world"

FINAL SCORES
Christina: $6,000 + $1,000 = $7,000 (Who is Benedict Arnold?) (3rd place)
Stephanie: $13,000 + $6,201 = $19,201 (Who is Benedict Arnold?) (2nd place)
Andrew: $19,200 + $6,801 = $26,001 (Who is Arnold) (New champion: $26,001)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Andrew: $19,200, 22 R, 1 W
Stephanie: $14,400, 21 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Christina: $6,000, 8 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $39,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Andrew: 23/58 = .397
Stephanie: 22/61 = .361
Christina: 9/58 = .155
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CAPTAIN $400: (Sarah gives the clue from Tahiti.) Charles Nordhoff & James Hall moved to Tahiti, found local brides & collaborated on the "Bounty" trilogy, the second book of which tells the tale of this captain's escape to Dutch Timor
(Stephanie: Who is Fletcher Christian?)
---
(Alex: [*], yes, the second book.)

CAPTAIN $600: Brothers Martin & Vincente Pinzon captained these 2 ships for Columbus in 1492
(Stephanie: Who are [*]?)

CAPTAIN $200: In 1770 he sailed through a body of water Tasman thought was a bay & showed that New Zealand is made up of 2 large islands
(Stephanie: Who is Wellington?)
(Christina: Who is Christchurch?)

CAPTAIN $1000: Here's the Milwaukee mansion of this captain, a beer baron

CONTINENTS OF NOBEL PRIZE WINNERS $200: For Peace,
Mohamed El Baradei
(Alex: He's from Egypt.)

CONTINENTS OF NOBEL PRIZE WINNERS $400: For Literature,
Pablo Neruda
(Alex: Yes. Chile)

CONTINENTS OF NOBEL PRIZE WINNERS $800: For Medicine,
Elizabeth H. Blackburn
(Christina: What is Europe?)
---
(Alex: That's the country, continent.)

CONTINENTS OF NOBEL PRIZE WINNERS $1000: For Peace,
Tenzin Gyatso
(Alex: He's known better as the Dalai Lama.)

FAMILIAR PHRASES $600: Set Emeril, Wolfgang Puck & Alton Brown all to making vichyssoise & you'll sadly see the truth of this
(Andrew: What are "too many cooks in the kitchen"? [Alex inhales sharply.] "Too many chefs in the kitchen"?)

POTENT POISONABLES $400: Weakness, nausea & cramping may result from the bite of this spider, or, you may not notice anything at all

SOUTH AMERICAN CITIES $1600: It's Chile's chief seaport & home to the Chilean Naval Academy
(Stephanie: What is Santiago?)

ARTS $2000: Have a seat in this chair, named for American designer Charles

CORRECT RESPONSES
The Wall Street Journal
North America
at one fell swoop
oleander
Prozac Nation
the Enterprise
Art Nouveau
"A Little Night Music" (Eine kleine Nachtmusik)
Ceres
Benedict Arnold
Captain Bligh
the Niña and the Pinta
(Captain) Cook
(Frederick) Pabst
Africa
South America
Australia
Asia
too many cooks spoil the broth
a black widow
Valparaíso
Eames
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NAMES IN THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A newspaper announcing his death in 1801 said he died in England & was “notorious throughout the world”

Stephanie Hubley: 13000+6201=19201
Christina Boyadjian: 6000+1000=7000
Andrew Lee: 19200+6801=26001 (New Champ!)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Benedict Arnold

Daily Doubles
Stephanie: 1000+1000
Stephanie: 9800+3000
Stephanie: 14800-3000

Coryats
Stephanie: 14400
Christina: 6000
Andrew: 19200

Combined: 39,600
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

If anybody got it wrong, I hope you don't hate yourself.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

My precall on the category title was Benedict Arnold because his name lives on as a synonym for traitor, and I didn't have to change my answer.

I feel like I hear "too many cooks in the kitchen" without the "spoil the broth" part often, so I was expecting them to give back money on that, but oh well.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

WLT Captain Cook or Africa at $200?

Nobel category was entirely YEKIOYD. You had to take a total WAG off the sound of the name. Crappy category.

$200 and $800 were my misses in Seasons. Coldest = winter just didn't click.

Phrases was a clusterf**k. So many long phrases that are easy to trip over, such as the too many cooks one.

Chile has famous cities that aren't Santiago?

NHO Federalist Papers that I recall.

No guess on FJ! My mind keeps misplacing Benedict Arnold by nearly two millennia and I can't seem to reverse that.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:No guess on FJ! My mind keeps misplacing Benedict Arnold by nearly two millennia and I can't seem to reverse that.
So you think somehow he's from around 200 BC?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Too bad Andrew knew it was Cook for New Zealand as I wanted him to complete the set with Auckland after the ladies tried Wellington & Christchurch.

Hammer: If it's not Tasman (which the clue eliminated) then it's Cook. It's really that simple. And if it's an explorer type from New Zealand then it's Sir Edmund (Mt. Everest) Hillary.

We'll give Andrew the benefit of the doubt that he was not thinking "Hap" with his FJ! response of "Arnold." :) Yes, that clue had triple get by the contestants with no guess by Hammer written all over it.

If you give a response and Alex says nothing then wake up fast to try to fix your response as you may have a chance to save yourself. Stephanie added her "Nation" to "Prozac" with no time to spare. There was no saving her Discovery instead of Enterprise though. She cost Andrew $12,000 by not solving the DD with a big Roddenberry TOM.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Of course Alex blames "the British" for burning down the White House. He's technically correct, of course. But to BMS, it was totally the Canadians. 8-)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:No guess on FJ! My mind keeps misplacing Benedict Arnold by nearly two millennia and I can't seem to reverse that.
Exactly. The nature of his name just doesn't seem to remotely fit Revolutionary War to me at all.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

35/58 right.

Potent (2), Nobel (3), Captain (3), Phrase (2), Newspapers/Magazines (4), Songs (5)
South America (4), Sci-Fi (3), Nonfiction (2), "MM"ees (3), Arts (1), Crafts (3)

Lach Trash: North America; DD: Enterprise

Instaget FJ.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

opusthepenguin wrote:Of course Alex blames "the British" for burning down the White House. He's technically correct, of course. But to BMS, it was totally the Canadians. 8-)
Totally.

With tongue very much in cheek, I post this Arrogant Worms video (and anticipate a response of South Park's Blame Canada):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU2Zr8bI6T4
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I briefly considered George III for FJ, but it just doesn't seem like a newspaper would describe him that way. Benedict Arnold seemed to make a lot more sense.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

OSXpert wrote: I feel like I hear "too many cooks in the kitchen" without the "spoil the broth" part often, so I was expecting them to give back money on that, but oh well.
Yeah...didn't like that. The underlying meaning is still the same and technically both still fit despite their targeting.

I'll always remember Benedict Arnold's death as 1801. I had a book of tricky questions back in my early years and it asked, in short Q: Why did Benedict Arnold not get a military burial with honors in 1800? (A: Because he died in 1801, you idiot!)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

CailinGaoilge wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:Of course Alex blames "the British" for burning down the White House. He's technically correct, of course. But to BMS, it was totally the Canadians. 8-)
Totally.

With tongue very much in cheek, I post this Arrogant Worms video (and anticipate a response of South Park's Blame Canada):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU2Zr8bI6T4
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
econgator wrote:
Exactly. The nature of his name just doesn't seem to remotely fit Revolutionary War to me at all.
Benedict Arnold almost tricked the Founding Fathers into signing the Declaration of Surrenderpendence! There're some things from history you just don't forget :lol:.
ragtimepiano
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by ragtimepiano »

Does any6one know what happened to Christina? She didn't appear at the end with the other two contestants?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote:
OSXpert wrote: I feel like I hear "too many cooks in the kitchen" without the "spoil the broth" part often, so I was expecting them to give back money on that, but oh well.
Yeah...didn't like that. The underlying meaning is still the same and technically both still fit despite their targeting.

I'll always remember Benedict Arnold's death as 1801. I had a book of tricky questions back in my early years and it asked, in short Q: Why did Benedict Arnold not get a military burial with honors in 1800? (A: Because he died in 1801, you idiot!)
I'm sure many Americans at the time wanted to bury him in 1800 anyways, the matter of his not being dead yet being a trifling matter.
grindcore wrote:If anybody got it wrong, I hope you don't hate yourself.
No, I'll just be here in the corner, keeping TPH company. You see, Benedict Arnold isn't really much of a significant name in my head. He means about as much to me as General Montcalm means to you, you're most likely aware of him if you're trivia savvy, you probably know what he's famous for, but that's it.

For the record, I said John Paul Jones (mixing him up a bit with Lafitte to give him the "notoriety" of a pirate the clue required) and didn't look back.
econgator wrote:
Perhaps he conflates him with Judas Iscariot (another one of the two or three biggest traitors in history.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Did the cooks clue mention soup?

Instaget FJ for me.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

TenPoundHammer wrote:NHO Federalist Papers that I recall.
https://youtu.be/8aefuWGmKTY?t=4m11s
Alexander joins forces with James Madison and John Jay to write a series of essays defending the new United States Constitution, entitled The Federalist Papers. The plan was to write a total of twenty-five essays, the work divided evenly among the three men. In the end, they wrote eighty-five essays, in the span of six months. John Jay got sick after writing five. James Madison wrote twenty-nine. Hamilton wrote the other fifty-one!
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.