Wednesday, November 23, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Re: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I was just really surprised that Lester Pearson being from North America was Lach Trash.
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:I was just really surprised that Lester Pearson being from North America was Lach Trash.
At least once a week, the contestants give Canadians a reason to laugh at them, or shake their heads. TBH I'm pretty sure the first time I encountered his name was when I followed the NHL, rather than perusing Nobel lists, so I guess there were no hockey fans up there either. I wonder how many of them they actually knew, or just guessed based on the names (although I'd like to think they knew who Pablo Neruda was, at least).
Bamaman wrote:Did the cooks clue mention soup?
I think it mentioned something about vichyssoise, but I still didn't like the neg. Fortunately it didn't hurt him, other than perhaps making his payday a bit smaller.

Instaget FJ.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:
Cat Hammarskjold wrote:I was just really surprised that Lester Pearson being from North America was Lach Trash.
At least once a week, the contestants give Canadians a reason to laugh at them, or shake their heads. TBH I'm pretty sure the first time I encountered his name was when I followed the NHL, rather than perusing Nobel lists, so I guess there were no hockey fans up there either. I wonder how many of them they actually knew, or just guessed based on the names (although I'd like to think they knew who Pablo Neruda was, at least).
If you've ever flown into Toronto (or are familiar with the story behind Rush's song "YYZ") you certainly know who he is.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:
If you've ever flown into Toronto (or are familiar with the story behind Rush's song "YYZ") you certainly know who he is.
Yes, even if you don't know how to pronounce the Rush song.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $34,400
44 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: North America, Enterprise (DD), Ceres

I see that they had at least one leftover Teen Tourney FJ!

FTR, I think that Alex's extended pause on the Prozac Nation DD was ridiculous, and I agree with the BMS on "too many cooks in the kitchen" given that they named a soup in the clue.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Nobel category was entirely YEKIOYD. You had to take a total WAG off the sound of the name. Crappy category.
Isn't it weird how this quiz show sometimes requires its contestants to know stuff?
ragtimepiano wrote:Does any6one know what happened to Christina? She didn't appear at the end with the other two contestants?
She was there. Her left shoulder is visible in the first shot of Stephanie and Andrew. My guess is that she was crying, so the cameraman/director chose out of kindness not to show her.
Sprinkles are for winners.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote:Did the cooks clue mention soup?
No, I mentioned the bisque.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
ragtimepiano wrote:Does anyone know what happened to Christina? She didn't appear at the end with the other two contestants?
She was there. Her left shoulder is visible in the first shot of Stephanie and Andrew. My guess is that she was crying, so the cameraman/director chose out of kindness not to show her.
Yes. She was definitely there. You can see a bit of her face in one of the later shots in addition to the shot mentioned by Matty. But, also yes, it seems that they purposely left her out of the frame for most of the post-game chat.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote:
OSXpert wrote: I feel like I hear "too many cooks in the kitchen" without the "spoil the broth" part often, so I was expecting them to give back money on that, but oh well.
Yeah...didn't like that. The underlying meaning is still the same and technically both still fit despite their targeting.
The clue ended, You'll sadly see the truth of this. Too many cooks... is incomplete - it could be referring to the "sitcom"!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGrOK8oZG8
(If you've never seen it...) :!:
I'd say that technically only the complete phrase fits...
But what do I know? My immediate and unwavering FJ response was Thomas Paine... :roll: I was thinking that his writings helped foment the French revolution too and revolutionary fervor around the world - infamous would have been more pointed for me than notorious, but I never thought of the traitor... I also thought Paine had died in England - turns out no, he died in NY...
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Strong game by new champion Andrew Lee; he reminds me of the excellent 4-game champion Tim Kutz in several ways. This despite defending champion Stephanie playing decently and getting all three DDs, a huge advantage. Hard to judge her two DJ bets; one of those murky situations where she is within range of the lead and perhaps assumed (wrongly, in this case) that she could outplay the challenger.

First game of the season where I didn't get a single LT, although FJ was an instaget.

Not a fan of desiring of not accepting "too many cooks in the kitchen", as it's a commonly used expression, too.