FJs for the 11/21/16 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 11/21/16 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:55 pm

At a May 1989 ceremony in Cape Town, he received a Bachelor of Laws correspondence degree in absentia
95%
William Bradford wrote that this document was partly inspired by the "mutinous speeches" of some passengers
90%
A newspaper announcing his death in 1801 said he died in England & was “notorious throughout the world”
87%
In 1525 Spanish New World official Gonzalo Fernandez de Oviedo wrote, "the flesh of these peacocks is very good"
90%
He won a Tony & later an Oscar for the same role & decades later, published a memoir called "Master of Ceremonies"
37%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
30%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
WHO $1000: On Nov. 11, 1572 this Danish astronomer observed a new star that was brighter than Venus
55%
SOUTH AMERICAN CITIES $1600: It's Chile's chief seaport & home to the Chilean naval academy
33%
HALLELUJAH! $1600: In "Mississippi Squirrel Revival", Ray Stevens rhymes "hallelujah" with this city that's in the state
16%
Gandhi was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
2%
Even though I went with Mandela for the correct response on Monday I did consider Gandhi.
10%
I was familiar with the song "Mississippi Squirrel Revival" prior to the Thursday game.
17%
I have seen a stage production of "Cabaret."
9%
I have seen the movie version of "Cabaret."
29%
Even if the Friday clue had named "Cabaret" I still would not have known to guess Joel Grey.
40%

Total votes: 115

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 11/21/16 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

11/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS NAMES

11/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
At a May 1989 ceremony in Cape Town, he received a Bachelor of Laws correspondence degree in absentia

11/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EARLY AMERICA

11/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
William Bradford wrote that this document was partly inspired by the "mutinous speeches" of some passengers

11/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NAMES IN THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION

11/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A newspaper announcing his death in 1801 said he died in England & was “notorious throughout the world”

11/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FOOD HISTORY

11/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1525 Spanish New World official Gonzalo Fernandez de Oviedo wrote, "the flesh of these peacocks is very good"

11/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ENTERTAINERS

11/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He won a Tony & later an Oscar for the same role & decades later, published a memoir called "Master of Ceremonies"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Nelson Mandela
Mayflower Compact
Benedict Arnold
turkeys
Joel Grey
The players were 12/15 (80.00%) with a 2-3-3-3-1 success pattern.

The extra clues have two correct by the players followed by a requested missed Daily Double.

WHO $1000: On Nov. 11, 1572 this Danish astronomer observed a new star that was brighter than Venus

SOUTH AMERICAN CITIES $1600: It's Chile's chief seaport & home to the Chilean naval academy

HALLELUJAH! $1600: In "Mississippi Squirrel Revival", Ray Stevens rhymes "hallelujah" with this city that's in the state

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Tycho Brahe
Valparaiso
Pascagoula
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 11/21/16 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Gandhi over Mandela on a 50:50
Did not know the Ray Stevens song and guessed Tupelo
Never seen Cabaret, but knew Joel Grey
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :(

I didn't know the Danish astronomer either time. I was hoping one of the bonus questions would be the BMO one.

Thursday, my first thought was flamingos, but then I remembered what day it was.
Friday, my first thought was Robert Preston, but I was pretty sure he hadn't won an Oscar, so I thought of someone Master of Ceremonies might fit.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dinghammer wrote:I didn't know the Danish astronomer either time. I was hoping one of the bonus questions would be the BMO one.
I never knew one could be a South American city either. :)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Fri - Wrote John Gielgud, meant to write Paul Scofield. Wouldn't have gotten Joel Grey if you spotted me "Cabaret star Joel Gre"

Likely have heard Mississippi Squirrel Revival before, but way too much dust on it in the ol' brain to justify checking the box.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Gandhi never occurred to me Monday.
No hope Friday; WAGed Bob Hope based on "Master of Ceremonies." I've never seen Caberet, stage or screen, and wouldn't have gotten Grey even if spotted "..., named for the role from Caberet that he won those awards for."
Mad at myself for missing Brahe.
Never heard the song or of that city. Clammed, with a wtp? reaction on reveal. (Also, I misheard Ray Stevens as Ray Charles.)
Last edited by Plactus on Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

What? No poll option for "I have been to Pascagoula Mississippi"?

Edit: Or "I can spell Pascagoula Mississippi".

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
NHO the correct response on Friday. I've missed nine straight theatre questions on LL.
Speaking of LL, I knew the South American cities clue because of that one question a couple seasons ago about the only South American capital city on the Pacific Ocean.
Hoping for a third lap
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I have fixed the missing clue on the extra choices for SOUTH AMERICAN CITIES. Feel free to vote again accordingly. When I took two phones calls after 4:30 I should have known the distraction would cause me to botch something and not have waited another hour after posting the poll to check in.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I probably should've known since it was the Thanksgiving episode, but was anyone else really confused what the Thursday clue was asking for?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

nightreign wrote:I probably should've known since it was the Thanksgiving episode, but was anyone else really confused what the Thursday clue was asking for?
Yep
Leander

Post by Leander »

:( :mrgreen: :(

Never heard of the country song
Joel Grey an instaget, have seen the movie a couple of times.

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :mrgreen:

My first piano teacher loved "Mississippi Squirrel Revival" so I used to bring that tape in for him.

I don't know anything about Cabaret other than that there is something called Cabaret.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I admit that I have to wonder at the polling results sometimes. I thought Mandela was fairly easy, but not 93% easy. Maybe it was just one of those things well known to anyone alive at the time and therefore, probably good for tripping up younger contestants.

Conversely, how can a clue about turkeys on Thanksgiving Day be anything less than 100%? I guess if one got caught up in the date and wondering who was the named official but once they got to "these peacocks" and tasting good - well, I guess I wonder if kids are still drawing turkeys in elementary school by tracing the outline of their hand? :D
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I got my all-too-familiar pattern of :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( and I knew that this week, I would be far from the only one.

I would have gotten Joel Grey with a lot more prompting. If I had had more time and if someone had given me further hints along the lines of "it was a 1972 movie" and "he had a daughter who became an actress" then eventually I would have gotten it, but Cabaret doesn't rank highly enough on my radar for it to have occurred to me during those 30 seconds.
plasticene

Post by plasticene »

nightreign wrote:I probably should've known since it was the Thanksgiving episode, but was anyone else really confused what the Thursday clue was asking for?
I know what you mean. At home, we often shout "True" when the clue sounds more like a simple factual statement than a conventional Jeopardy clue, and Thursday's FJ was a prime example. Having the prompt word "these" appear as part of the quotation really rubbed me the wrong way.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

4/5 on FJ!. I blanked on Friday's clue, but I could have made it to Joel Grey with more teasing.

TNN was a mainstay in my grandparents' home growing up; I wore out their early-90s vintage VHS copy of Ray Stevens' Video Classics when I stayed with them. I could recite most of "Mississippi Squirrel Revival" if prompted to. I went to Nashville just last weekend with family, and among the things we did was tour the Ryman Auditorium, the historic home of the Grand Ole Opry that currently hosts shows during the winter. There were tickets available for that evening's performance, and my sister was interested in attending because Ray Stevens was on the lineup of performers. I had to inform her that Stevens' music today is that of a bitter old conservative with a major grudge against Taylor Swift. She wasn't all that interested in seeing the Opry after that.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:mrgreen: :( :(

I believe this is the first time I've ever been 5 for 5 in two consecutive weeks.
I consider Danish astronomer to be one of the Pavlovs. (I haven't seen Monday through Wednesday yet so I don't know if that was discussed in the game thread.)
Have heard some Ray Stevens but not that.
Went right to Mandela, perhaps should have considered Gandhi but didn't.
I have seen the movie Cabaret (though it's been a long time), have seen it on stage, and played in a pit orchestra for it once (college sophomore, 1980).

22244433155, 35-20
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

I was embarrassed at missing Wed and going with Tom Paine but I see it's currently polling the worst of the week's first 4 clues, so I feel a little better...But it should have been a 5/5 week!
Joel Grey as the MC in Cabaret is one of the iconic theater/movie performances of my lifetime. What's next, people saying they never heard of Alan Cumming?? (who played the role in a long-running NY revival and may have even overshadowed Grey in the minds of some people who care about such things...)
earendel

Post by earendel »

True confession: I sang "Mississippi Squirrel Revival" for a church talent show.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."