Monday, November 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, November 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7411, 2016-11-28

WE ASKED: Michael Steele.

CONTESTANTS
Allison Totura, a research microbiologist from Frederick, Maryland
Hobie Barnes, a consultant from Glendale, California
Justin Bender, a technical engineer from Boulder, Colorado (whose 1-day cash winnings total $19,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you. Thank you, Johnny. Well, Thanksgiving is behind us, and now our players want to start earning money for the upcoming holiday season. So let's get to it. Allison, Hobie, and Justin, good luck. Here we go. Now the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHERE IS IT? (4/5)
ORGANIZATIONS (4/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SKY LINES (3/5)
CLASSIC FILM MUSIC (4/5)
CONDIMENTS (4/4)
A SPELLING BEE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Justin: 10 R, 1 W
Hobie: 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Allison: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Hobie: $2,800
Allison: $2,200
Justin: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Allison Totura is a research microbiologist. Now, there was a movie called Outbreak many years ago, and that influenced you in your career choice, right?

Allison: Oh, yeah, absolutely. So they showed it to us in health class. I would say maybe about 8th grade. I questioned the educational nature of Outbreak in health class, but I kinda saw these guys working on viruses in the suits, and I thought, "Well, that seems like an interesting career option," and that's what I do now.

Alex: All right.

Alex: Hobie Barnes, the hills are alive with the sound of you, because you get involved in a Sound of Music--what is it, a sing-a-long?

Hobie: The sing-a-long to the Hollywood Bowl, Alex.

Alex: Really? Every year?

Hobie: For the last five years, yes. 'Cause I was living in New York, but we moved back just to come basically for that.

Alex: Now are you a member of the audience, or are you performing onstage?

Hobie: The audience, but we're singing all in the audience together, and it's kind of almost a magical experience with, you know, there are certain moments where "Edelweiss" and everybody gets out their cellphone and the glow and white light is pretty neat.

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Justin Bender is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. He collects bobbleheads, but not just ordinary bobbleheads--bad bobbleheads.

Justin: Yeah.

Alex: What's the difference?

Justin: So bobbleheads sort of exploded over the last, you know, 10, 15 years, and in a rush to get 'em all out, there are a lot that just don't look anything like the person they're supposed to represent, or other ones for players who are just gonna be gone in two weeks.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Justin: So those are the sort of bobbleheads I'm interested in.

Alex: Those are the bad ones that will become collector items down the road.

Justin: I'm not necessarily interested in that.

Alex: No?

Justin: But we'll see. We'll see.

Alex: You never know. All right.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Hobie found the Daily Double on the 25th clue. Justin had $3,800, Hobie had $4,400, and Allison was at $2,400. Hobie wagered $1,400.

ORGANIZATIONS $800: This organization began with a 1971 protest against offshore nuclear testing

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SKY LINES $400: This T.S. Eliot "Love" poem begins, "Let us go then, you and I, when the evening is spread out against the sky"

CLASSIC FILM MUSIC $1000: "It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp" made easy work of winning the Oscar for Original Song for this 2005 film
(Justin: What is Crash?)

SKY LINES $1000: She gave us the lesser-known "O beautiful for halcyon skies" as well as "O beautiful for spacious skies"

WHERE IS IT? $1000: K2:
this mountain system (that's the "K")
(Allison: What's the Hindu-Kush?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Hobie: $6,600
Justin: $4,800
Allison: $1,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD FLAGS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Peter the Great designed Russia’s flag based on the tricolor flag of this nation where he’d gone to learn shipbuilding

Justin Bender: 17000-15801=1199 (2x = $20,799)
Hobie Barnes: 16600-16000=600
Allison Totura: 13200-12800=400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Netherlands (Justin – France) (Hobie – the C{?} England) (Allison – Fra Italy)

Daily Doubles
Hobie: 4400+1400
Allison: 7000+5000
Justin: 12000+5000

Coryats
Justin: 14000
Hobie: 16000
Allison: 9800

Combined: 39,800
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLJ
Valued Contributor

Re: Monday, November 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by JLJ »

What.A.Game.

Phew.

That is all. (at least until most of the rest of the world gets to see it)
I'm living proof to show that a good attitude, a Southern accent, a ridiculous beard, and a middling amount of trivia knowledge can get you onto Jeopardy!
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

*grabs popcorn*
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:*grabs popcorn*
For the posts that hint at the entertaining game or for the wagering discussion that will follow? ;)

If Allison had laid off the $400 clue that ended the DJ! round then perhaps Hobie could have tied Justin at 17K entering the FJ! round. From there I don't doubt the guys would have farmed out and Allison would have won. As is Allison & Hobie lost the more traditional way of betting too much in the FJ! round.

If the clue had been a triple hit then Justin would have won 32,801 to 32,600 as the champ did not bet to cover Hobie's potential 33,200.

I did not like my guess for the FJ! clue of France, but it was my written response since I liked Denmark, Norway, and Iceland even less because of the cross factor. 30 seconds should have been enough time to think of Holland and the flag, but it never occurred to me and I followed up a 49R, 3 DDs right, and 44,200 Coryat with the FJ! miss to waste a good game.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

During a commercial break, I saw an Arby's ad for their new Philly cheesesteaks, which used a slightly redone version of the "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" theme. I spent the whole rest of the commercial break laughing.

WLT Pacific at $200? Challenger Deep could be in any ocean. That whole category was YEKIOYD.

You get receipts on a bill? That clue completely stumped me. Only miss in the category.

No, I don't think I've heard of chutney.

Gallup was overvalued at $1,000, and crust almost as overvalued at $1,200.

Blanked on Angela Lansbury. For some reason "Beardsley" jammed into my brain and I couldn't get it out.

Stupid miss du jour: I started to say "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" on the "Bewitched" clue, then tried to backtrack to "Bewitched" but could only get "I Dream of Jeannie" out.

I got the Gerrymander DD because of the Hawley-Smoot Rule.

Lach Trash: Three Musketeers.

Category did not leave me hopeful at all. No guess; don't know anything at all about Peter the Great. I predict a low get.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:I did not like my guess for the FJ! clue of France
Right there with ya. Knew it was wrong, but forgot all about the Netherlands.

And Fates on a 2K clue when spotted "destinies"? Geez.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Fell for the France negbait. I figured it was a 50/50/90 situation for Netherlands and France... I didn't expect Italy or Great Britain as wrong answers.

No comment on wagering.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I guessed China for FJ! It wasn't until Alex revealed the answer that I realized I was thinking of the wrong flag :oops:. If I had thought of the right flag, I'd have probably gone France, though, so it probably didn't matter.
Last edited by Vowela on Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote:
OntarioQuizzer wrote:*grabs popcorn*
For the posts that hint at the entertaining game or for the wagering discussion that will follow? ;)
Or posts about whether this FJ will poll in single digits?

No surprise regarding the wagers, very sad that real people throw away free money all the time due to lack of any game theory sense. I've been quiet for a while, had to say something. :)
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Two wins, pissed away. Holy $#*!. Hope IronNeck took his blood pressure meds.

Also, it sounded like Alex negged Hobie before he corrected himself (to committee?)

Also also, Fates as a 2k DD was a damn joke. Wasn't doing any backflips over gerrymander either.

"Hmm...tricolor? Franc...no. France was a kingdom and didn't have the tricolor that early (plus all those wars). God I wished I paid more attention to flags. OK, shipbuilding, shipbuilding...let's try the Dutch." I'll take it.

Usually the Canadians are laughing at us, tonight it'll be one Canadian in particular. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a few Sporcle quizzes to replay a billion times.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

The only reason I didn't say France was that Alex said FJ was difficult, and France seemed like the obvious choice. Instead, I just went with a country that might build a lot of ships: Norway. Should probably study up on those flags...
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Another for France, wondering why does AT think it's difficult? Hmmmmkay... well 49R & LT: Tecumseh > Shawnee; KL Bates > Am Beautiful; The Love Song of Alfred J Prufrock >TS Eliot.

NB TPH: " Challenger Deep could be in any ocean. " LMAO, Dude, it's NOT in ANY ocean it's in the Pacific Mariana Trench, the deepest point of any ocean on Earth! :o
Go WATCH the James Cameron Film! Neato torpedooooo! :P
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got the 3 Musketeers from the discussion about that FJ when someone said it used to be 3 pieces of candy instead of just one.

France here as well. No comment on the betting. I wish one of the challengers had won since I get a kick out of hearing a returning champ announced with a very low total.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

xxaaaxx wrote:Usually the Canadians are laughing at us, tonight it'll be one Canadian in particular. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a few Sporcle quizzes to replay a billion times.
The script flipped two days ago; I've been laughing plenty at jokes at the expense of one prominent Canadian.
MarkBarrett wrote:I did not like my guess for the FJ! clue of France, but it was my written response since I liked Denmark, Norway, and Iceland even less because of the cross factor.
I thought "tricolor" was pointing at "la Tricolore" and went with France, not even thinking of the Netherlands because I most prominently associate orange with that nation (the World Cup, Olympics et al.)
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

My thought process for this FJ:

"I know absolutely nothing about Peter the Great's life trajectory. But 'tricolor' often refers to France's flag, and it has red, white, and blue. That's probably it. Onto the paper it goes."

"Wait, I think France didn't have that tricolor flag until after the revolution. And I think Peter the Great was before that."

"I guess maybe it's a European country with horizontal stripes on its flag, like Russia's current flag? The Netherlands has a flag like that with red, white, and blue. I guess I'll scribble out France and write the Netherlands. Sure hope I'm not being foolish in making this switch."
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Bamaman wrote: No comment on the betting. I wish one of the challengers had won since I get a kick out of hearing a returning champ announced with a very low total.
Had Allison wagered wisely, she would have had at least $6800 as her winnings total.
MarkBarrett wrote: If Allison had laid off the $400 clue that ended the DJ! round then perhaps Hobie could have tied Justin at 17K entering the FJ! round. From there I don't doubt the guys would have farmed out and Allison would have won.
Or if Hobie had just wagered $1800 on the first DD instead of $1400. :D
I'm thinking Allison's wiinning total would have still been deservedly very low.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Had I not visited St. Petersburg and specifically the former summer palace that Peter built (Peterhof), I certainly would have guessed France. But as it were, it was a fortunate instaget.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

41/57 right.

Where (4), Organization (4), Sky (4), Film (4), Condiments (1), Spelling (3)
1812 (4), Estate (2), Three (4), Earth (3), "MER" (3), Samantha (5)

Lach Trash: The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, Tecumseh

I said France as well.