Friday, December 2, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Friday, December 2, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

davey wrote:
clprez wrote:
econgator wrote:Why did Asim get negged so quickly on the 9 to 5 clue? He still had lights showing and hadn't given any wrong info.

The only other possible response was Bigfoot, but as long as you have the slightest clue where the Daily Mail is at, this is unmissable.
He first stated Tomlin, and then Alex restated that there were two of them, and I think that when Asim then said Lily Tomlin that Alex was expecting to hear Jane Fonda and just negged him. It's only speculation, though.
Alex should not have prompted him when "both women, please" was in the clue - a pause is all right, but not the prompting.
Given how quick it went from "both women, please" to "wrong" I think TPTB agreed.

I'm okay with either, though. We accept BMS as a nudge, but in this case 'BMS' would sound pretty stupid.
e.g., "Lily Tomlin." "Be more specific." :|

Anyone who frequents this board and did not get Manzanar...take me off ignore. :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Maybe it is something a Californian would be more likely to know, but I could not name any WWII internment camps.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote:Probably too niche for a poll question, but who else knew the Pachelbel piece before it was a cliche? Who else had a vinyl copy from the Musical Heritage Society--the record that also had pieces by Johann Friedrich Fasch with Maurice André playing the trumpet parts?
Does it count if you knew it after it was a cliche but before you, personally, realized it was a cliche?

Manzanar followup: I've apparently told that truck+trailer anecdote twice. 2012 and 2014. So expect it again come 2018...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
lbligh
Valued Contributor

Post by lbligh »

I was chuffed to see the Pachelbel category! In my long-ago radio days, I once played many versions of that canon for an entire hour. The Jean-Francois Pailliard version was significantly longer than other renditions.
Auditioned most recently via Zoom, June 2023
Strengths: Literature, History, Classical Music
Insurmountable weaknesses: Sports, Pop Music, Anagrams

"It's easy if you know it, it's hard if you don't."
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Bamaman wrote:Maybe it is something a Californian would be more likely to know, but I could not name any WWII internment camps.
Of course Californians are more likely to know it but it's come up 6 times before in the archives, most recently in 2015. I have driven by the site twice but never stopped.

The one internment camp I've stopped at is Catalina Honor Camp northeast of Tucson. A somber and sobering experience.
OCSam
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

Bamaman wrote:Maybe it is something a Californian would be more likely to know, but I could not name any WWII internment camps.
From Cali, learned about them in school, still can't name any. *Maybe* if the clue gave other TOMs.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I didn't pick up on the April 21 TOM and had no idea. I have to wonder though if the April 21 date led anyone to think of Rome and Roman mythology.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

OrangeSAM wrote:Anemia. Yeah, I got that. (The response, not the disease.)
Something something irony... ironic? There's a joke in here but I'm not finding it.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $42,200
50 R/3 W (Dupee!)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: nonpareil, anemia, migraine, Manzanar, Beautiful, Biloxi Blues

Good game (aside from the timid DD wagers) by all three competitors, although I agree with other posters that some of the TS's were a bit surprising.

Given my eating habits, I wouldn't have expected my only clam in the DJ! round to be in the Taco Bell category.
chmmr wrote:
From Cali, learned about them in school, still can't name any. *Maybe* if the clue gave other TOMs.
I think Manzanar is by far the most famous, in large part because of the memoir Farewell to Manzanar. Then again, I'm not sure I'd know that if I hadn't grown up in the aforementioned Bakersfield, CA, where we not only read the book, but were visited by its co-author, Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston.
Sprinkles are for winners.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

StevenH wrote:I didn't pick up on the April 21 TOM and had no idea. I have to wonder though if the April 21 date led anyone to think of Rome and Roman mythology.
Was this a TOM? Can anyone explain?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

jeff6286 wrote:
StevenH wrote:I didn't pick up on the April 21 TOM and had no idea. I have to wonder though if the April 21 date led anyone to think of Rome and Roman mythology.
Was this a TOM? Can anyone explain?
Oh, oops, I confused April Fool's Day with 4/20.

I'll go to bed now...
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I only know about the existence of Manzanar from its mention in The Karate Kid. I don't know the names of any of the other Japanese interment camps.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

OrangeSAM wrote:
Of course Californians are more likely to know it but it's come up 6 times before in the archives, most recently in 2015. I have driven by the site twice but never stopped.

The one internment camp I've stopped at is Catalina Honor Camp northeast of Tucson. A somber and sobering experience.
My supervisor at work is Japanese. He has said his parents were born in Japan but he was born in California in 1946. I assume his parents were in one of those camps but don't feel comfortable asking.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

The Lily Tomlin/Jane Fonda clue was fair, but I was used to quizbowl toss-ups where the caveat TWO ANSWERS REQUIRED begins the question.

George Takei's musical Allegiance about his experience in internment camps will be presented in cinemas in a couple of weeks.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I am assuming that the writers have seen this:
https://youtu.be/JdxkVQy7QLM

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Gave "Nessie" which I'm sure is acc as AT so indicated! Darn shame she was a hoax as the world so loved that critter! LOL 42R;
LT: Anemia, migraine (non-medical contestants, eh!); counterpoint (a recurring fav!); nailed 5/5 in critter collections, if you did not then read this page! Such fun! :lol:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Jurimetrician wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Tim played like someone who expected to win (or was at least confident he'd do well) and the game seemed like just another walk in the park. He must have some other kind of trivia competitions on his resume.
I can't speak to trivia, but he's a former professional Magic: The Gathering competitor (think Ross Merriam from Pranjal Vachaspati's run). From a young age he's been accustomed to playing games for thousands of dollars; Jeopardy! was just a different game from his usual.

http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Tim_Aten is a bit out of date but a reasonable introduction to the man.
Thanks. I had exact same feeling as MB. Also seemed like he can go big on DD bets. The fact that he looks kind of disappointed with the biggest win of the week makes me expect good things next week.

As for anemia and migraine TSs, I stayed clam too because of the obvious answer and the values of the clues.

Manzanar is fresh in air waves because of the political climate.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote:No clue is unmissable. I know Daily Mail was the TOM, but I'm quite sure British papers could run American photographs in the 1930s as easy as Scottish ones...That's my excuse for Bigfoot, anyway. Loch Ness did not enter my head. The only other response that occurred to me was "fairies," because of the famous fairy photographs. They were about 20 years before, but at least they were in England. I realized that fit the clue even less well than Bigfoot, though...
As far as I know, the Patterson-Gimlin bigfoot film is the first good film evidence of a purported bigfoot creature and that was shot in 1967, so the dates are way off for bigfoot. I'll admit this may require more extensive cryptid knowledge than what should reasonably be expected, but the earlier date also points to Nessie over Bigfoot.

I love cryptids, by the way, especially bigfoot. Rationally there's no way any of these creatures exist, but there's just enough doubt to make it interesting.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I did get this FJ after 15 seconds or so, but "Mythology" in the category had me thinking elsewhere for a bit. But Daily Mail and famous faked picture got me to the right place eventually.

I have been to Manzanar, but don't think it would be in my knowledge set if not for that.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

goatman wrote:Gave "Nessie" which I'm sure is acc as AT so indicated!
Further justification: I responded with "Nessie" on the show once and it was accepted.