Monday, December 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, December 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by doihavetoreally »

I too got the FJ from book. I typically miss these kind of clues and on another day, I probably would have missed it.

Maybe Mark should have a poll on the people who got it from mythology.

They cleared the boards but the game felt slow and kind of blah.. maybe the categories. Christmas albums, 3 letter, dogs.. definitely not my kind of categories.

For Lovell DD ..all I could think of was Tom Hanks. Frustrating.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

Vaguely aware that Hermione was named after a figure from Greek Mythology, which led to a get. I love the look the champion gave at the end, to me, it said, "I don't know how I came up with the win."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: 1962 tells you it took place in 1962. Nothing in the clue suggests President. If you don't know the speech, then there's nothing at all to grab onto.
"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard."

Easily top five US Space Program quotes, tentatively I'd say #3, behind "The Eagle has landed" and "Houston, we've had a problem" but before "Give me a napkin quick. There's a turd floating through the air."

Anyone else answer "asthma hound chihuahua" for Ren? (Anyone else expect a BMS for just chihuahua?)

There would've been riots had the FJ response been Bella...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Lach Trash: Justice for All, Pennsylvania, Phil Spector
DD: Tarzan, James Lovell

Surprised that Yi ended up with the lead going into FJ, despite all the negging in the first round. Tim had a rough game and dodged a bullet when Matthew missed that easy layup DD, then both challengers failed to come up with Final. I predict he will rebound in game three with a lockout.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Come on writers, don't hold the hands of the players. I was ready to ring in for Mediterranean having the $2 rent and then was disappointed by the extra hint of eliminating Baltic. My scoresheet (5/5) indicates I had the right amount of technical knowledge and specificity that Hammer was lacking for the board game.

Duty, Honor, Country was begging for a third incorrect guess, so that Alex could state his cliche.

Tim sure went down the tough road to victory with his DD miss setting him up in third place entering the FJ! round and needing that sole solve to prevail. Getting American Samoa off the Pago hint would be the easier route to defending his title.

Yes, the poll will have the option for the book portion of the FJ! clue vs. the mythology angle. I'll be joining the majority so far on getting it right via the Rowling works.

Volante: My response was locked in and the pen was down, but I did have time to entertain the wild thought about Bella.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Couldn't remember whether Park Place or Boardwalk was the last space before Go. That was a bit tough for $200.
A $200 clue asking for an expensive Monopoly property is going to be Boardwalk every time.

The first half of the FJ clue seemed too vague to me, so I tried to answer the latter half, but the only Trojan War daughter I could think of was Electra, whose parents I knew were not Helen and Menelaus. I jumped back to the first half, and Hermione came to mind right away. Maybe I had primed the pump for Greek women's names.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Category 13 wrote:Before you guys slam me, I have heard the bit about "we choose to go to the moon not because it is easy" plenty of times but I always thought all that moon talk was part of his innaugural address, which wasn't 1962.
A few years ago, I went to see my alma mater play a football game in Houston against Rice University, and looked up the history of Rice Stadium -- that speech was given there. In fact, the part you often see in clip form, "We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard" -- one of the "other things" he'd just mentioned was Rice playing Texas.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Couldn't remember whether Park Place or Boardwalk was the last space before Go. That was a bit tough for $200.
A $200 clue asking for an expensive Monopoly property is going to be Boardwalk every time.
Not if you can't remember which of the two is closer to Go (and thus the most expensive). Binary choices ALWAYS trip me up that way.
davey

Post by davey »

geometro wrote:what was the question for the answer regarding an artist in 1965 whose displayed artwork was so controversial that they had to wipe spit off of the displays daily?
Who is Diane Arbus?

If I'd had to guess with reference to only mythology I'd have said Cassandra. She's the daughter of Priam, not Menelaus. Luckily the right response came quick when I though about book series...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote:
I took "whopping" to be ironic since $50 is quite cheap. I forgot that it's not Monopoly cheap. I then misunderstood the clue to say that the player had just passed Go rather than was just about to pass. So I said Mediterranean. Sigh.

I'm generally good with Greek mythology and with children's/YA lit. Somehow I just couldn't get at this FJ from either angle. Not my night.

The sad thing is I mostly would've KILLED tonight. "Wall of sound" = Phil Spector. Last three words of pledge? "Justice for all". Longtime leader of the PLO? Arafat. Come ON, people! But unless I had a lock, I'd have lost to the third place contender, just like Yi and Matthew.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $30,200
45 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Phil Spector, Tarzan (DD), Justice For All, American Samoa (DD), Yasser Arafat, Soyuz, Jim Lovell (DD)

Count me among those shocked that "Justice For All" and Arafat were TS's.

"Insanity" should have been BMSed or negged outright. Daniel Sickles was the first American to plead temporary insanity, which is not the same thing.

Tonight's FJ! clue was was exactly what I think FJ! should be. You needed to have a little bit of knowledge, but you could connect a bunch of data points to come up with the correct response. Who is part of a trio of friends from a book series and has a name that sounds like it could have come from a female in Greek mythology? Well, when you put it that way...

Those who saw the video I posted in the Millionaire thread several weeks would not be surprised to learn that I ran the Monopoly category.
opusthepenguin wrote:The sad thing is I mostly would've KILLED tonight. . . Phil Spector.
Too soon.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I thought that the J! website had partially spoiled the results in advance that Tim would lose since Tim is from a Cleveland suburb and they had listed someone else from a Cleveland suburb competing on the Tuesday episode. I'm glad this wasn't true.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Not if you can't remember which of the two is closer to Go (and thus the most expensive). Binary choices ALWAYS trip me up that way.
My point is, it wasn't binary. Park Place is not in J! Archive as the response to any top-row clue. A "whopping" price for a Monopoly property in a $200 clue? It's Boardwalk; don't let "can't remember which"es with regard to other details of the clue get in the way. They're only there to ensure that Park Place is wrong.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
econgator wrote:It wasn't, nor did it need to be.
Then how were we supposed to know that a president is what was called for?
1962, plus it was part of a VERY famous speech ("We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard"). Alex's awful attempt at a JFK impression didn't hurt either (the one I did while reading the clue at home was even worse).
The clue wrote:On Sept. 12, 1962 he proclaimed, "We shall send to the moon, 240,000 miles away... a giant rocket more than 300 feet tall"
1962 tells you it took place in 1962. Nothing in the clue suggests President. If you don't know the speech, then there's nothing at all to grab onto.
There is, though. It should be common knowledge that Kennedy made a pledge to land Americans on the moon before the end of the decade (the '60s). It should also be common knowledge that Kennedy was President in 1962. Put those two pieces of information together and it's a slam-dunk.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Category 13 wrote: I was pondering whether it was Kruschev in an attempt at false bravado, since I've never, ever heard the quote in the clue.
Before you guys slam me, I have heard the bit about "we choose to go to the moon not because it is easy" plenty of times but I always thought all that moon talk was part of his innaugural address, which wasn't 1962.
There wasn't serious consideration within the White House of a mission to the moon until after Gagarin's flight. At that point, the United States need a goal that was achievable yet not so close that the Russians couldn't do it first yet. The goal to reach the moon wasn't announced until May 25, 1961, after Shepard's suborbital flight, after a success, just like Lincoln released the Emancipation Proclamation after the victory at Antietam.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
econgator wrote:It wasn't, nor did it need to be.
Then how were we supposed to know that a president is what was called for?
1962, plus it was part of a VERY famous speech ("We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard"). Alex's awful attempt at a JFK impression didn't hurt either (the one I did while reading the clue at home was even worse).
The clue wrote:On Sept. 12, 1962 he proclaimed, "We shall send to the moon, 240,000 miles away... a giant rocket more than 300 feet tall"
1962 tells you it took place in 1962. Nothing in the clue suggests President. If you don't know the speech, then there's nothing at all to grab onto.
As the clue did not specify "president," I was torn between JFK and Von Braun, so I clammed.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Count me among those shocked that "Justice For All" and Arafat were TS's.
Can I ask why you felt "justice for all" was so easy, because I'm not seeing it. The only way I can think to work through that clue was to recite the pledge in your head, skip over "to the republic," and land on "justice for all," which appears at the very end. It's not that it's that hard if you had like thirty seconds or so, but it seems difficult to work it all out in the scant few seconds you get for most Jeopardy! question.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Vowela wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:Count me among those shocked that "Justice For All" and Arafat were TS's.
Can I ask why you felt "justice for all" was so easy, because I'm not seeing it. The only way I can think to work through that clue was to recite the pledge in your head, skip over "to the republic," and land on "justice for all," which appears at the very end. It's not that it's that hard if you had like thirty seconds or so, but it seems difficult to work it all out in the scant few seconds you get for most Jeopardy! question.
...And Justice For All is one of those good, iconic Pacino movies before he played Tony Montana in everything. I missed it this time around but other days I could've seen me get this clue.

I wouldn't say it was a gimme though (obviously, as I didn't get it). Feels like a good middle of the road when instant recall is required. Absolute freebie if it's an FJ.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'll admit I said Krushev for the moon speech. :oops:

I also had no idea how to spell FJ's name and wrote down Hermone. I thought there was an I in I, but wasn't sure if it was before o after the o so I left it out.

I did get justice for all, so it wasn't a complete loss.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Vowela wrote:
Count me as among those who agree with Vowela on this one.