Tuesday, December 6, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7417, 2016-12-06

CONTESTANTS
Anuj Patel, a scientist from San Franciso, California
Alison Carey, a housewife from Cleveland Heights, Ohio
Tim Aten, an editor from Vermilion, Ohio (whose 2-day cash winnings total $47,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. At the end of yesterday's program, Tim admitted to me that he felt more nervous as the defending champion on that program yesterday than he did in his first appearance on our show last week. Alison and Anuj, good to have you with us. Good luck, players. Here we go. Now let's take a look at the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SPORTS ROUND NUMBERS (4/5)
THAT'S JUST NUTS! (5/5)
A BARRAGE OF BOOKS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MINING FOR "ORE" (5/5)
STRUCTURED (2/2)
CLUES ACROSS AMERICA (5/5) (Alex: Featuring our on-air talent from our affiliate stations.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tim: 10 R, 0 W
Anuj: 10 R, 1 W
Alison: 4 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Tim: $4,600
Anuj: $2,400
Alison: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: People often ask me is there a way you can prepare for an appearance on Jeopardy! Well, Anuj Patel, you've come up with a way.

Anuj: Yeah, any big test or interview, my preparation involves listening to The Karate Kid theme song--"You're The Best Around".

Alex: Aha.

Anuj: So a lot of--it gets you really pumped up, convinces you that you're the best. And if you've got enough space, you can do some crane kicks.

Alex: And so far, in your career, that has worked.

Anuj: It's worked so far. It's gotten me here, so...

Alex: We'll see what happens today.

Alex: Alison Carey is from Cleveland Heights, Ohio. A few years ago, I used to watch a show called Deadwood. And one of the characters on that was Al Swearengen, is that right? And you have managed to trace your family tree back to someone with that name?

Alison: Yeah, I was--I saw the name Swearengen in my family tree, and I found a website that had Al Swearengen's family tree, and I--well, I'm not descended from him, but we have the same great-great-great-great-great-
great-great-great-grandfather.

Alex: He was a nasty character!

Alison: Yeah.

Alex: But good for you, tracking it down.

Alex: Tim Aten from Vermilion, Ohio. Won a penmanship award--not at a school, not at a college. But at a bar in a trivia game?

Tim: Yeah. A couple years ago, I became the de facto captain of our trivia team just because I...

Alex: Had good penmanship?

Tim: Yeah. No, because I'm kind of a control freak and then...

Alex: Oh.

Tim: ...since I was writing the answers down, I was really, really careful when I wrote them. And then one night, the woman running it decided she was sick of seeing all the chicken scratch all the other teams had down and wanted people to write their answers clearly, so I got a free appetizer.

Alex: Oh. Oh, a free appetizer! Big bucks in those bar trivia games.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alison found the Daily Double on the 25th clue. Tim had $5,200, Alison had $2,000, and Anuj was at $4,200. Alison made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,000.

A BARRAGE OF BOOKS $800: The original title of the book that became "Schindler's List" was "Schindler's" this Biblical item of refuge
(Alex: Alison? Say something.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SPORTS ROUND NUMBERS $1000: In 1944-45 the NHL played this many games & "Rocket" Richard scored exactly that many goals, a feat not matched until 1981
(Anuj: What is 60?)

A BARRAGE OF BOOKS $1000: This Frenchman's novel "Nausea" is about a man coming to terms with the meaning or meaninglessness of existence
(Alison: Who is Camus?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Tim: $5,200
Anuj: $4,600
Alison: -$1,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, December 6, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
OUT OF AFRICA (5/5)
SUCH COLORFUL LANGUAGE! (3/5)
SCIENTISTS (4/5)
EVERY MOVE YOU MAKE (3/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
EVERY CLAIM YOU STAKE (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
I'LL BE WATCHING "U" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Anuj: 9 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Tim: 8 R, 1 W
Alison: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Anuj snagged the next Daily Double on the 25th clue. Tim had $10,400, Alison had $6,200, and Anuj was at $10,200. Anuj wagered $2,000.

EVERY MOVE YOU MAKE $1600: The "Win-stay, Lose-shift" strategy is something to consider in this game where there are only 3 options
(Anuj: What is Risk?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Anuj who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Tim had $8,800, Alison had $6,200, and Anuj was at $8,200. Anuj wagered $2,000.

EVERY CLAIM YOU STAKE $1200: On April 22, 1889 a bugle for a land run sounded in the new Oklahoma territory; those who entered early were dubbed this

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SUCH COLORFUL LANGUAGE! $1600: Jealousy, as defined by "Othello"
(Alison: What is the green monster?)

SUCH COLORFUL LANGUAGE! $2000: To gloss over errors to free one from blame, or to keep the other team scoreless

SCIENTISTS $2000: In the 1890s this man best known for his temperature scale said heavier-than-air flying machines were impossible

EVERY CLAIM YOU STAKE $1600: In the mid-19th century, Dumont d'Urville claimed Adelie Land, part of here, for the French
(Tim: What is Australia?)
(Alex: And we have less than a minute to go now.)

EVERY CLAIM YOU STAKE $2000: The Spratly Islands in this "directional" sea are claimed by many nations & the U.S. sent a warship there in 2016
(Alison: What is the North Sea?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Anuj: $11,000
Tim: $8,800
Alison: $4,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AUTHORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths (exactly) for first place.
Anuj: Wager $6,600, but no more than that: you cannot afford to lose by $1 to a likely wager of $4,400 on the part of Tim.
Tim: Try wagering $399, which is as much as you can put up against Anuj without being usurped by a doubled score on the part of Alison.
Alison: You just can't cover a rational wager by Tim, nor can you win on a Triple Stumper. Improve your situation by wagering everything but a few bucks--and then getting Final right!

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Asked if he read novels, philosopher Gilbert Ryle said, "Yes, all six, every year", referring to this British author

FINAL SCORES
Alison: $4,200 + $4,200 = $8,400 (Who is Jane Austen?) (2nd place)
Tim: $8,800 - $300 = $8,500 (Who is Dickens?) (47801-day champion: $8,500)
Anuj: $11,000 - $6,601 = $4,399 (Who is Shakespeare) (3rd place)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Anuj: $12,200, 19 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Tim: $8,800, 18 R, 1 W
Alison: $6,200, 10 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $27,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Anuj: 19/60 = .317
Tim: 18/58 = .310
Alison: 11/59 = .186
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CLUES ACROSS AMERICA $200: (Hi, I'm Shannon Hegy, from WPRI 12.) Waterfire is an art installation of more than 80 bonfires that float above the surface of 3 rivers in this capital of Rhode Island

CLUES ACROSS AMERICA $400: (Hi, I'm Ben Bailey from Local 4.) Also known as "The Fist," the Detroit monument to this boxer was dedicated on October 16, 1986, nearly 50 years after he won the heavyweight title

CLUES ACROSS AMERICA $600: (Hi, I'm Cheryl Scott of ABC 7.) Chicago's skyline is a dramatic backdrop for the Lincoln Park Zoo, including a great view of this 100-story landmark named for a signer of the Declaration of Independence

CLUES ACROSS AMERICA $800: (Hi, I'm Rob Fowler from News 2.) An iconic neighborhood in Charleston, South Carolina features houses in an array of bright Caribbean colors, giving the area the alliterative name this "Row"

CLUES ACROSS AMERICA $1000: (Hi, I'm Juliana Mazza with 22 News.) Many beloved characters from children's literature are features in a Springfield sculpture garden dedicated to Dr. Seuss, the pen name of this man

A BARRAGE OF BOOKS $600: Sir Wilfrid of Ivanhoe is a Saxon knight in a 19th century bestseller by this author
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now.)

STRUCTURED $400: In part form the Old English for "commodities", it's a large building for storing inventory
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

OUT OF AFRICA $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew lays on her front, propped up on her elbows.) A stress-reliever that strengthens the spine & even stretches the lungs, this yoga pose gets its name from a "Great" Egyptian landmark

SCIENTISTS $1600: While in Bali in the 1930s, she pioneered the use of photography for anthropological research
(Anuj: Who is Leakey?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Schindler's Ark
Jean-Paul Sartre
rock-paper-scissors
Sooners
the green-eyed monster
whitewash
Lord Kelvin
Antarctica
the South China Sea
Jane Austen
Providence
Joe Louis
Hancock
Rainbow Row
(Theodor) Geisel
(Sir Walter) Scott
a warehouse
the Sphinx
(Margaret) Mead
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Asked if he read novels, philosopher Gilbert Ryle said, "yes, all six, every year", referring to this British author

Tim Aten: 8800-300=8500 (3x = $56,300)
Alison Carey: 4200+4200=8400
Anuj Patel: 11000-6601=4399

Correct response:
Spoiler
Jane Austen (Tim – Dickens) (Anuj – Shakespeare)

Daily Doubles
Alison: 2000-2000
Anuj: 10200-2000
Anuj: 8200+2000

Coryats
Tim: 8800
Alison: 6200
Anuj: 12200

Combined: 27,200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alison had an opening skunk segment and was not able to overcome that to take the match with her sole solve on the FJ! clue. ARK! has been and will be shouted in millions of homes across the country. Alison's missed DD looks like an easy one from home, but somehow she could not pair up the clue and response on stage under the lights. The penalty is thousands of dollars.

Anuj was 50% on Daily Doubles while playing well enough to have the lead for the FJ! round. Dickens by Tim I can see as a guess. Shakespeare? Wow! Did not see that one coming.

I spent the 29 seconds after writing Austen trying to see if I could recall all the novels, knowing that often I forget one. Sometimes it's Emma and sometimes it's Northanger Abbey I can't remember. Other times it's Mansfield Park that eludes me. This time I was a blank on getting Persuasion. :roll: P&P and S&S are the only ones I get consistently, but with them there have been times I have the Bennet vs. Dashwood problem.

How many horseshoes did Tim pack for his trip to Culver City? He has demonstrated a variety of Houdini-esque escapes.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Austen is obvious in hindsight, but I warily went with Dickens after considering a couple of other (male) authors, not including Shakespeare :shock:
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Dickens wasn't a very good guess - they've probably asked about more than 6 of his novels repeatedly - but Shakespeare was one of the worst FJ guesses in a long time. (Ok, Ajax was pretty bad yesterday).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Leander wrote:Austen is obvious in hindsight, but I warily went with Dickens after considering a couple of other (male) authors, not including Shakespeare :shock:
Yep. Henry James here.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote:Alison had an opening skunk segment and was not able to overcome that to take the match with her sole solve on the FJ! clue.
Also, she still could've won, had she not thrown away 2k on that South China Sea clue, which for me doubled as Lach Trash and a neg (North Sea) I knew was coming.

Instaget FJ, very surprised that British author + 6 novels wasn't at least 2/3.
MarkBarrett wrote: ARK! has been and will be shouted in millions of homes across the country.
I was SCREAMING 'ARK!!! ARK!!" at the screen, but my words did not travel back in time...at least not until I spent the pre-FJ commercial break begging Tim not to bet more than 399, to keep Alison locked out. I'm not usually a fan of multiple escapes on a row -- Houdini, indeed -- but a contestant who resists the siren call of the suicide wager? I can get behind that. Would be nice to see the Tim from Friday though.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Rough night for Alison and she STILL could've pulled out the win against most second place contestants. Unfortunately for her, Tim's one of the few who knew how not to throw the game away.

I misparsed FJ and thought we were looking for an author who came out with 6 new novels every year. I guessed Agatha Christie.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

opusthepenguin wrote: I misparsed FJ and thought we were looking for an author who came out with 6 new novels every year. I guessed Agatha Christie.
Ditto.

Would have helped if I had ever heard of Gilbert Ryle.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Doubtful whether knowledge of an obscure philosopher would have been helpful, retrowiki shows no mention of this in his very brief bio. Rather, goes to the TOM; 'author with six novels."

That said, I offered "Edward Morgan Forster" who also wrote, six, Maurice being published posthumously. Austen's Persuasion and Northanger Abbey were both posthumously published.

Gosh what a tough clue! The wife was all like; "If it was just me watching this show and not you in here I would never turn it on again after a stupid impossible clue like that!" Ratings will suffer... :roll:

41R. LT: Sartre > Existential French guy. Ark. Get on 'greed-EYED monster > Iago and Spratley islands > South China Sea (having flown over them many times!). ;)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

WLT pitcher at $200? That whole category seemed YEKIOYD.

Music doesn't pump me up. Neither does spouting motivational BS like "you're the best". Either you've got it in you or you don't; don't try to fool yourself into having drive that you don't have normally.

Ran "Ore" and Nuts.

How did we leave three clues on the board?

Am I just tuning them out, or did Alex forget to LTaM in the J! round?

Ostrich is a person who refuses to face uncertain truths? That and not knowing what continent ostriches are native to threw me for a total loop.

I had to stop myself from saying "Bumf**k, Egypt" on the Africa clue asking for a remote place.

WLT chess at $400?

NHO any of the titles in that "U" category.

Lach Trash: Ark, Lord Kelvin, rock paper scissors

No guess on FJ!
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Houdini indeed. I had great expectations from Tim after 1st game..but the last two games are 'blah'.

Some head scratchers today - French Existentialist after Camus is negged? Shakespeare for FJ?
xxaaaxx wrote: Also, she still could've won, had she not thrown away 2k on that South China Sea clue, which for me doubled as Lach Trash and a neg (North Sea) I knew was coming.

Instaget FJ, very surprised that British author + 6 novels wasn't at least 2/3.
Ditto on both.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:How did we leave three clues on the board?
If you're refering to the J round, they didn't leave the local landmarks category until last.

Well, so much for my prediction about Tim from yesterday. He's going to have a hard time continuing his 'run' with games like this. Great wager to save the win.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT pitcher at $200? That whole category seemed YEKIOYD.
I agree you have to know who these people are. I had heard of him, but even if I hadn't, I would have gotten it from knowing that 300 wins is a big number for pitchers (automatic Hall of Fame induction is you don't use steroids) along with the fact no other position is awarded a win in baseball.
tbentley
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by tbentley »

Does anyone have a solid source for Lord Kelvin saying, "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible"? As opposed to "I have not the smallest molecule of faith in aerial navigation other than ballooning or of expectation of good results from any of the trials we hear of." or "No balloon and no aeroplane will ever be practically successful."
davey

Post by davey »

goatman wrote:Doubtful whether knowledge of an obscure philosopher would have been helpful, retrowiki shows no mention of this in his very brief bio. Rather, goes to the TOM; 'author with six novels."

That said, I offered "Edward Morgan Forster" who also wrote, six, Maurice being published posthumously. Austen's Persuasion and Northanger Abbey were both posthumously published.

Gosh what a tough clue! The wife was all like; "If it was just me watching this show and not you in here I would never turn it on again after a stupid impossible clue like that!" Ratings will suffer... :roll:
It was a very English thing to say. Forster was a great novelist but still his importance to the English is nowhere near Austen's. When he's put on the pound note and someone publishes A Room With a View of Zombies, we'll know his reputation has reached parity...
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Am I the only one who thought of Austen immediately, then talked myself out of it? :oops:
davey

Post by davey »

tbentley wrote:Does anyone have a solid source for Lord Kelvin saying, "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible"? As opposed to "I have not the smallest molecule of faith in aerial navigation other than ballooning or of expectation of good results from any of the trials we hear of." or "No balloon and no aeroplane will ever be practically successful."
There were no quotes around the words.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

dinghammer wrote:Am I the only one who thought of Austen immediately, then talked myself out of it? :oops:
My pre-call during the commerical break was Jane Austen, but when the clue came up I didn't think of her and went with C.S. Lewis after 30 seconds just to say something, which doesn't make any sense for multiple reasons. I was just thinking along the lines of all 6 books being connected somehow. Doh!