Wednesday, December 7, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Wednesday, December 7, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

For some reason, AZ/NM just didn't feel right to me. OK threw just enough doubt in to make me say "well, it's obviously none of those, I'm clearly misremembering either the states' admission or when Wilson was prez."
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

bpmod wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Even if you don't know what Operation Overlord was, the year 1944 should lead you to D-Day.
This.

Even though I have no recollection of ever having heard the term "Operation Overlord", 'June' was out of my mouth before Alex started to read the clue.

Brian
Yeah, but how is TPH supposed to know D-Day was in June?

Did the clue say something about an invasion? If not, 1944 could also easily steer someone towards the Battle of the Bulge.
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

Category 13 wrote:Did the clue say something about an invasion? If not, 1944 could also easily steer someone towards the Battle of the Bulge.
OPERATION $200: Overlord: Launched in this month, 1944
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

xxaaaxx wrote:
Category 13 wrote:Did the clue say something about an invasion? If not, 1944 could also easily steer someone towards the Battle of the Bulge.
OPERATION $200: Overlord: Launched in this month, 1944
Is there a term for too much knowledge tripping up your thought process, because thinking of the Battle of the Bulge would be just such a case. I think at least 10% of Learned League players would know Operation Overlord was associated with D-Day, but less than 1% would associate Operation Watch on the Rhine with the Battle of the Bulge.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Gemini Bowie
Contributor

Post by Gemini Bowie »

As Gordon Ramsay would say - WOW, WOW, WOW!

How do you get on the show not knowing when Wilson was President and/or when Hawaii became a state?
JaimeJeopardy
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by JaimeJeopardy »

bpmod wrote: Even though I have no recollection of ever having heard the term "Operation Overlord", 'June' was out of my mouth before Alex started to read the clue.
It popped into my head, but never made it out of my mouth. This was one of a few that I knew but hesitated to buzz in on...I was trying to play conservatively, especially at the beginning. To be honest, I selected the category hoping that Operation was referring to medical operations, not military - I much prefer science to military history (or history of any kind, as I later proved). That threw me just enough to make me second-guess my first thought.
--------------------------------
Lost to the current champ on December 7, 2016, a date which will live in infamy.
JaimeJeopardy

Post by JaimeJeopardy »

Elijah Baley wrote:I'd love to hear the explanation for why those two both came up with Hawaii.
I actually have two explanations.

The first was emotional...I cannot overstate how done I was with the game at that point. I wagered large enough to cover Wendi if we both got it right, and small enough to cover her if we both got it wrong, and then I checked out. I had come to win, and was frustrated with myself for giving Tim a runaway, for all the ridiculous TS's that I knew would be JBoard-bait, and for not taking better advantage of the only shot you ever get at being a contestant on Jeopardy!

The second was more mundane. Arizona was actually my first thought, but for some reason my brain was over-emphasizing the "pair" aspect of the clue. I couldn't think of what pair Arizona was part of, but Alaska-Hawaii is the quintessential joined-the-union-together pair. I honestly wasn't thinking about dates at all (for either Wilson or the union entrance), was pretty sure I was putting down the wrong answer, and didn't give a crap.

-Jaime
Lost to the current champ on December 7, 2016, a date which will live in infamy.
JaimeJeopardy

Post by JaimeJeopardy »

lbligh wrote:We were surprised that the contestant who said DARPANET was negged. A quick Google seems to confirm that it is often interchangeable with ARPANET.
I was surprised too. I knew a split second after I said it that they were looking for ARPANET...they actually gave me a chance to restate it to confirm, but I chose to be honest and said DARPANET again (they cut that part out of the show). You can still hear me saying ARPANET as Alex announced the right answer.

All that said, I knew I hadn't pulled DARPANET out of thin air...I knew the history - DARPA was the administrator for ARPANET, but I'm in the industry and have heard them used interchangeably for years. I should have said something during the commercial, but didn't. When I left the building in second place it was still nagging at me. It had happened during a critical point in the game, since I lost a bundle on the next question, a DD where I felt I needed to make up some ground and wagered more than I would have otherwise. I ended up emailing the contestant coordinators with plenty of evidence from the net about my answer being a reasonable alternative. About a week and a half later I got back a very formal letter from a producer with their explanation, based on two primary arguments. One, they found the one site that said DARPANET is an "incorrect term for ARPANET." Two, there's no mention of the D-version on darpa.mil. Fair enough, though I bet they would have been more flexible if I had challenged it at the next commercial.

So there you go....a peek behind the scenes.

-Jaime
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thanks for posting. I can see how a category being different than what you expected throwing you for a loop. And I am sure you aren't the first to mentally check out in ZFJ when they are locked out.

Still, congrats on making it on the show. I did like your FJ bet.