Friday, December 9, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, December 9, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7420, 2016-12-09

Tim Aten game 6.

CONTESTANTS
Lara Croft, an aquatic veterinarian from Orlando, Florida
Jim Yulman, a retired lawyer and software developer from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Tim Aten, an editor from Vermilion, Ohio (whose 5-day cash winnings total $79,299)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. He was with us at the beginning of this week. Will he be with us at the beginning of next week? He's won every game so far. Tim and Jim and Lara, this half hour will determine that. Good luck. Here we go. Here are the categories. Hope you like 'em...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PALMISTRY (4/5)
TV TAGLINES (4/5)
THE BIBLE (5/5)
IT BORDERS BOTH (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
H.P. (5/5)
LOVE CRAFT (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tim: 14 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Lara: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Jim: 6 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Tim: $5,200
Lara: $1,400
Jim: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Lara Croft is not a tomb raider, she's an aquatic veterinarian. Famous name, but you were not named for that film character.

Lara: That's true. Everyone associates my name with tomb raider right now, but I was actually named for, uh, the Lara character in Dr. Zhivago. My father thought Julie Christie was just amazing, and that's who he named me for.

Alex: Way to go.

Alex: Jim Yulman, retired lawyer, a man who enjoys doing something that I would like to do, also, and that's woodworking.

Jim: Yes, sir.

Alex: What's the most valuable tool in your basement?

Jim: It is my band saw.

Alex: Really?

Jim: Yes, not my table saw.

Alex: And what about the lathe?

Jim: I don't have a lathe.

Alex: No? What kind of woodworking do you do?

Jim: I, uh, I made kitchen cabinets for our kitchen, but I also make ukuleles.

Alex: Really?

Jim: So I've sort of gotten into instrument making now.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Tim Aten is our champion. He's not a rap fan but knows all the words to an Eminem song?

Tim: Yeah, "Without Me". It's from 2002.

Alex: Why do you know all the words to that song?

Tim: I think it's mostly because he's just so good and all the rhymes make sense.

Alex: Ah, that helps.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jim found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. Tim had $5,800, Jim had $1,800, and Lara was at $1,000. Jim made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,800.

IT BORDERS BOTH $1000: Missouri & Louisiana

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TV TAGLINES $600: The U.S. version of this PBS show was hyped as "Part adventure, part history lesson and part treasure hunt"

PALMISTRY $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a palm on the monitor.) The seven hill-like bumps tell of a range of traits from sensuality to determination; they're referred to as these, a term for a horse one might ride

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Tim: $7,600
Jim: $4,200
Lara: $2,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, December 9, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DOCUMENTARIES (3/5)
EPONYMS (2/3, including 1 correct Daily Double)
YOU MAD, BRO? (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BALLET UP TO THE BARRE (2/5)
CIVIL WAR LITERATURE (0/5)
THE "N"IMAL KINGDOM (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tim: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 0 W
Lara: 6 R (including 3 rebounds), 2 W
Jim: 3 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 11
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $14,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tim snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. Tim had $12,000, Jim had $3,400, and Lara was at $6,000. Tim wagered $2,000.

YOU MAD, BRO? $1200: Henry I eased onto England's throne in I 100 because his brother Robert Curthose was away fighting in the first of these

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Tim who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 15th clue. Tim had $14,800, Jim had $3,400, and Lara was at $5,200. Tim wagered $1,200.

EPONYMS $1200: This above-ground burial chamber was named for an ancient Greek leader whose tomb was an Ancient Wonder

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BALLET UP TO THE BARRE $1200: When Serge Diaghilev brought this ballet company to the U.S. in 1916, Vaslav Nijinsky was a featured dancer

BALLET UP TO THE BARRE $1600: This Russian ballerina is seen here at her home; note the birds in the background
(Alex: A pair of swans, and the ballerina is [*].)

EPONYMS $400: This Mennonite sect found in rural Pennsylvania & Ohio was named for a 17th century Swiss bishop

DOCUMENTARIES $1200: This 2015 series on Netflix puts both possible killer Steven Avery & a Wisconsin county sheriff's dept. on trial
(Jim: What is The Making of a Killer?)

DOCUMENTARIES $2000: The 1979 doc "From Mao to Mozart" recounts this master violinist's groundbreaking trip to China
(Lara: Uh... who is Stravinsky?)

CIVIL WAR LITERATURE $1200: It's the "snaky" title of Bernard Cornwell's novel about a Confederate officer jailed as a Yankee spy

BALLET UP TO THE BARRE $2000: It's been said that "Coppelia" is ballet's great comedy & this 1841 tale of a doomed maiden, its great tragedy
(Alex: Oh, Lara, you knew it. You should have rung in. Go again.)

CIVIL WAR LITERATURE $1600: Begun in 1863 & published in 1994, John Ransom's diary is his eloquent account of survival in this notorious prison

CIVIL WAR LITERATURE $2000: A Union officer is killed but not in warfare in "Murder at" this Virginia town, name of the war's first major battle
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now, Lara.)

CIVIL WAR LITERATURE $400: This "directional" trilogy by John Jakes looks at the Civil War from the viewpoints of 2 families on opposite sides

CIVIL WAR LITERATURE $800: "Manhunt" by James Swanson is an account of the multi-day chase to find this killer
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Tim: $17,600 (lock game)
Lara: $5,600
Jim: $4,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD CAPITALS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Tim: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $6,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Lara: Wager $3,601 to cover Jim.
Jim: Risk between $1,001 and $2,600, covering Lara's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Ruled at times by Persians, Mongols & Russians, Baku is the only capital that borders this body of water

FINAL SCORES
Jim: $4,600 + $400 = $5,000 (What is the Caspian Sea?) (2nd place)
Lara: $5,600 - $3,610 = $1,990 (What is Lake Baikal?) (3rd place)
Tim: $17,600 + $5,000 = $22,600 (What is the Caspian Sea?) (79300-day champion: $22,600)
(Alex: Baku, the capital of Azerbaijan, is on [*].)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $15,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Tim: $16,800, 22 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Lara: $5,600, 14 R, 4 W
Jim: $3,800, 9 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Combined Coryat: $26,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Tim: 23/60 = .383
Lara: 14/58 = .241
Jim: 10/59 = .169
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
LOVE CRAFT $200: As a tribute to your passion, create this type of work, a melange of different symbols meaningful to the beloved one

LOVE CRAFT $1000: Be crafty & make your own one of these rings, given to a lover prior to an engagement ring
(Jim: What is a friendship ring?)

H.P. $200: The pooch seen here represents this brand of footwear

IT BORDERS BOTH $800: Kansas & South Dakota
(Lara: What is Colorado?)

PALMISTRY $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a palm on the monitor.) Palm readers say that each of the breaks that are found in this alliterative line may represent a serious experience that has either happened or could happen in the future
(Alex: ...and I have none of them. Darn.)

THE BIBLE $1000: Zechariah predicted the new king would arrive in Jerusalem on one of these animals, & Jesus later does
(Lara: What is a camel?)

THE "N"IMAL KINGDOM $400: Meriwether Lewis' dog Seaman & Nana in "Peter Pan" were both this Canadian breed
(Jim: What are Labradors?)
[Lara gave both listed responses.]

THE "N"IMAL KINGDOM $1200: Here's a group of these toothed whales

DOCUMENTARIES $400: The 1967 doc "The Anderson Platoon" went to war with the title military unit during this conflict
(Jim: What is the Civil War?)

BALLET UP TO THE BARRE $800: One scene in this fairy tale ballet is called "The Awakening"
(Jim: What is the Nutcracker?)

EPONYMS $800: In 1887 this German scientist invented the dish now named for him that's used in making bacteria cultures
(Lara: What is Auger?)

DOCUMENTARIES $800: Mais oui, a documentary short on this Looney Tunes character is called "The Charm of Stink"
(Alex: [French accent] [*], you are right, my beauty.)
[Laughter]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Arkansas
Antiques Roadshow
mounts
the Crusades
a mausoleum
the Ballets Russes
Anna Pavlova
the Amish
Making a Murderer
Isaac Stern
Copperhead
Giselle
Andersonville
Manassas
North and South
John Wilkes Booth
the Caspian Sea
a collage
a promise ring
Hush Puppies
Nebraska
the life line
an ass (a donkey accepted)
Newfys (or Newfoundlands)
narwhals
the Vietnam War
Sleeping Beauty
Petri
Pepé Le Pew
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD CAPITALS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Ruled at times by Persians, Mongols & Russians, Baku is the only capital that borders this body of water

Tim Aten: 17600+5000=22600 (6x = $101,899)
Jim Yulman: 4600+400=5000
Lara Croft: 5600-3610=1990

Correct response:
Spoiler
Caspian Sea (Lara – Lake Baikal)

Daily Doubles
Jim: 1800+1800
Tim: 12000+2000
Tim: 14800+1200

Coryats
Tim: 16800
Jim: 3800
Lara: 5600

Combined: 26,200
Last edited by theFJguy on Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Lara had a good time and the host liked her. Alex was wise to ask her on her only appearance about her having a famous name. Lara from Dr. Zhivago it is. It must be strange to go years with a regular name that draws no more attention than any other one and then to wake up one day and have it be widely known. Ordering a pizza suddenly becomes more difficult?

Yes, Alex you will accept donkey for ass.

I think I detected a bit of an edit around Lara giving Newfie for the Newfoundland dog.

If Tim has taken the time to memorize "Without Me" by Eminem then that explains why things like Andersonville have failed to hit his radar. That song has a lot of quick lyrics.

The FJ! clue was a 2/2 for me getting both parts. Baku = Azerbaijan and Azerbaijan borders the Caspian Sea. Was I sure? Of course not. I wrote "Black Se" before changing to the correct response.

Lara's logic sounds good to me doing Baku = Baikal as I could easily see myself doing something like that on another capital/body of water pairing. She was only off by about 2800 miles.

Jeopardy! needs to do the green room video reaction shot of the new pool of players introduced to Tim on the next taping day. And our 6-time champ with $101,899... :o :shock: :? :cry:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I was disappointed that Lara Croft the contestant was not an archaeologist.

Collage can be "to a loved one"?

Got Hasty Pudding because of a prior clue (guess it does past my Hawley-Smoot test!), and ended up running H.P.

Overthought "Wisconsin and Ohio" -- wait, can't be Illinois or Minnesota, they're too far apart! -- which caused me to lose bearings on the next two.

NHO Haman, my only miss in Bible.

Couldn't think of an "N" breed of dog, ended up with an "everything but the first box" moment in a wheelhouse category. Derp.

WLT Persia at $400?

Negged with Quaker for Amish. PA and Ohio was misleading since there are plenty of Amish here in Michigan too.

That Civil War category may have been a little on the tough side. While I've seen an entire category triple-stumped before, I think this is only the third one I've ever seen where no one even rang in with a guess, after Central American Capitals back in April and Broadway Lyrics in January 2013.

I can see the chickening out on $400 though. It could've been North and South, The North and the South, Northern and Southern, or any of those three reversed. Because screw Occam's Razor.

"Ruled at times by Persians--" Yeah, no way am I getting this one.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:Lara had a good time and the host liked her. Alex was wise to ask her on her only appearance about her having a famous name. Lara from Dr. Zhivago it is. It must be strange to go years with a regular name that draws no more attention than any other one and then to wake up one day and have it be widely known. Ordering a pizza suddenly becomes more difficult?
29 years ago, when I was teaching SAT prep courses, I had a student named Frederick Krueger. He went by Fritz.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Overthought "Wisconsin and Ohio" -- wait, can't be Illinois or Minnesota, they're too far apart! -- which caused me to lose bearings on the next two.
Remind us where you live again?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I wonder how many 6+ day champs have been in MBs bronze category come TOC time. The stand and stares in Tim's games have been stunning. His reign has been an interesting mix of easy locks, terrible opponent wagering, and Houdini-like escapes, but whatever. He has 101k and I don't. Welcome to the ranks of the superchampions, Tim. Please study the Civil War before the TOC ;)

'Black Sea' was halfway out of my mouth before realizing my mistake and switching to Caspian with plenty of time to spare.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Overthought "Wisconsin and Ohio" -- wait, can't be Illinois or Minnesota, they're too far apart! -- which caused me to lose bearings on the next two.
Well, I do live in a very wooded part of the state, so clearly I can't see the forest for the trees.

Seriously, no idea what kind of brain glitch made me not consider the state I'm actually in. I think because I went down from Wisconsin, then realized neither Illinois nor Indiana was correct, it short-circuited my brain.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Well, I do live in a very wooded part of the state, so clearly I can't see the forest for the trees.

Seriously, no idea what kind of brain glitch made me not consider the state I'm actually in. I think because I went down from Wisconsin, then realized neither Illinois nor Indiana was correct, it short-circuited my brain.
You're the anti-Sarah Palin. You can't see Wisconsin OR Ohio from your house! :lol:

Seriously, any American who takes sporcle quizzes knows how easy it is to forget the stupid state you're actually taking the quiz in.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

So Jeopardy! automatically assumes your valentine is human, or at least a mammal or a penguin or something. What if you're in love with an iguana? Then your anatomically correct heart will have THREE chambers.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote:So Jeopardy! automatically assumes your valentine is human, or at least a mammal or a penguin or something. What if you're in love with an iguana? Then your anatomically correct heart will have THREE chambers.
Being the forum's token furry, I'm surprised I didn't think to make this joke first.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Needed the instaget FJ and got it. F1 ran its first race in Baku this year and they kept mentioning/showing the Caspian.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

opusthepenguin wrote:So Jeopardy! automatically assumes your valentine is human, or at least a mammal or a penguin or something. What if you're in love with an iguana? Then your anatomically correct heart will have THREE chambers.
I said a similar thing!

It's a good thing Christopher Hitchens didn't have a brother, or Alex might have BMSed. It's not like he's Kit Carson or anything.

I think I need to keep my ears plugged until the music stops. Someone said Caspian, so I went with the Black Sea. I knew it was one of them...
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dinghammer wrote:I think I need to keep my ears plugged until the music stops. Someone said Caspian, so I went with the Black Sea. I knew it was one of them...
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Duct Tape.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote: I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Duct Tape.

Brian
What is "the handyman's secret weapon"?
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

dinghammer wrote:
I said a similar thing!

It's a good thing Christopher Hitchens didn't have a brother, or Alex might have BMSed. It's not like he's Kit Carson or anything.

I think I need to keep my ears plugged until the music stops. Someone said Caspian, so I went with the Black Sea. I knew it was one of them...
Christopher Hitchens did/does have a brother, Peter, who is well-known in his own right, although for radically different reasons.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Visible buzzer frustration from both Jim and Lara, especially from Lara on the "N" animal category, given her profession.

The collage clue made zero sense to me. I immediately thought collage from the photo but went with vision board. Wonder if that would have been accepted.

Thought "ballet up to the barre" would be about ballet terminology. Giselle seemed too easy as the bottom clue. Two swans = Anna Pavlova? NHO her. Mad that I missed ballets russes.

Ran "borders both" which is huge for me because I've been looking at maps and trying to get my head around everything between NY and California.

FJ: Had Red Sea then crossed it out and put Caspian. 2/5 for the week :/
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

morbeedo wrote:Two swans = Anna Pavlova? NHO her.
One of the more famous ballerinas in history. Most famous for a dance called the "Dying Swan". The dessert called the pavlova (meringue topped with fruit and whipped cream) is named for her.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Congrats to Tim for running the week and becoming a superchamp. Big comeback for someone who was in third place heading into FJ in his second game (if I remember correctly). How long do we predict he'll go? You can never tell for sure.