Tuesday, December 13, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7422, 2016-12-13

CONTESTANTS
Cindy Stowell, a science content developer from Austin, Texas
Garrett Levenbrook, a food executive from Montclair, New Jersey
Tim Aten, an editor from Vermilion, Ohio (whose 7-day cash winnings total $107,499)

OPENING REMARKS
Thank you, Johnny. All right, folks. "Ridiculous". That was the word uttered by Tim Aten at the end of yesterday's program when after all three contestants had missed Final Jeopardy!, he was the one with the most money. Right now, I want to welcome Cindy and Garrett to the program. Wish all three of you good luck and put you to work right now in the Jeopardy! Round with these categories. Hope you do well...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LAST NAME'S THE SAME (5/5)
ALL ABOUT ANIMALS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THAT'S A GREEK LETTER (4/5)
ALLITERATION (4/5)
GEORGIA (2/5)
HOLIDAY DUETS (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tim: 10 R, 0 W
Cindy: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Garrett: 6 R (including 1 DD), 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Garrett found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Tim had $1,600, Garrett was scoreless, and Cindy was at $1,400. Garrett wagered $1,000.

ALL ABOUT ANIMALS $800: While it feeds mainly on termites & the insect in its name, this toothless mammal also enjoys avocados

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Tim: $1,600
Cindy: $1,400
Garrett: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Cindy Stowell is from Austin, Texas, and this young lady enjoys viewing really bad movies. Give me some examples.

Cindy: Oh, well, in college, a friend of mine started a club where we rented out a lecture hall and a projector and a classroom, and we watched such delights as The Transformers cartoon movie--it was pretty bad--You Got Served--also really bad. I mean, they're movies, though, that you can talk through during and kind of share the misery with others, so...

Alex; Oh, good. That's a great way to socialize, isn't it?

Alex: All right, Garrett Levenbrook is from Montclair, New Jersey. He's a food executive, and it says here that you recently proposed, and it was a risky venture.

Garrett: Yes, that's right. So, some background. There's a game sweeping the country called "Escape the Room", the purpose of which is to solve a series of clues in order to get out of a room you're locked in for an hour. My fiancée now and I are very into that game, so I integrated the engagement proposal into the game, whereby the final clue led to the engagement ring. But it was very risky, 'cause we almost didn't get out, and so I don't know what would've happened.

Alex: You leave yourself in a precarious situation. But it worked.

Garrett: Yes, it did.

Alex: Good for you.

Garrett: Thank you.

Alex: Tim Aten is our champion. You've won seven games now, and every time you win, you don't get particularly excited. It's, "Oh, gosh, I won again? How am I going to deal with this?" What excites you? What are some of the things in your life that really gets you?

Tim: Sleep, ice cream. Some music.

Alex: Okay. That's a lot of energy from our champion.

[Laughter]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GEORGIA $600: This founder's name is on the Girl Scout National Center in Savannah
(Garrett: Who is Oglethorpe?)

THAT'S A GREEK LETTER $1000: Psi is the name of a Greek letter & is also found in the names of these 2 other Greek letters

HOLIDAY DUETS $600: In a classic but odd pairing, Bing Crosby crooned a medley of this carol & "Peace On Earth" with David Bowie
(Cindy: What is "Little Soldier Boy"?)

HOLIDAY DUETS $1000: Good grief! Sarah McLachlan & Diana Krall dueted on this song 1st heard in "A Charlie Brown Christmas"

GEORGIA $800: He ran an unsuccessful 1966 campaign for governor before a successful one 4 years later

ALLITERATION $1000: The existence of these storage organizations made heart-lung pumps for open-heart surgery possible

GEORGIA $1000: Northeast Georgia is covered by this "colorful" southern range of the Appalachians
(Garrett: What are the Blue Mountains-- the Blue Smoke Mountains?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Tim: $5,000
Garrett: $2,400
Cindy: $2,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THAT OLD-TIME RELIGION (4/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NO STAN LEE CAMEO (4/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BOOKS OF THE 1930s (2/4)
THE MILITARY AT HOME (0/3)
LESSER-KNOWN HISTORIC NAMES (2/5)
TO THE END"THE" DEGREE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Cindy: 8 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Tim: 4 R, 0 W
Garrett: 5 R (including 1 DD), 5 W

Clues revealed: 25
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Cindy snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Tim had $9,800, Garrett had $800, and Cindy was at $5,000. Cindy wagered $4,000.

NO STAN LEE CAMEO $1200: The Russkies invaded the U.S. in this Swayze flick, & despite the cries for "Wolverines", neither Logan nor Stan showed

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Garrett who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 13th clue. Tim had $11,400, Garrett had $1,600, and Cindy was at $9,000. Garrett wagered $2,000.

THAT OLD-TIME RELIGION $1600: The 1947 discovery of these gave scholars glimpses into early Judaism

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LESSER-KNOWN HISTORIC NAMES $800: Though Fritz Todt built this Nazi line, also known as the West Wall, it wasn't the Todt Line, but was named for this Wagnerian hero
(Garrett: What is the Maginot?)
(Alex: Maginot was the French line. [*] was the German line.)

LESSER-KNOWN HISTORIC NAMES $1600: Stenka Razin, who led an uprising of these horsemen of the steppes, was the subject of the 1st Russian feature film, from 1908

LESSER-KNOWN HISTORIC NAMES $2000: Jesuit missionary & explorer Isaac Jogues gave the falls that empty into Lake Huron this French name

BOOKS OF THE 1930s $1200: The title of this book that spawned several movies didn't refer to its detective hero but to lanky Clyde Wynant

THE MILITARY AT HOME $1600: (Hi. I'm Jill Biden.) As a military mom, I was proud to launch an initiative with First Lady Michelle Obama to help service members, veterans & their families that is fittingly called "Joining" these
(Garrett: What are the Ranks?)
(Alex: We have less than a minute to go now, Garrett.)

THE MILITARY AT HOME $2000: The uses of the military inside the U.S. are limited by the act called this "comitatus"

THE MILITARY AT HOME $1200: Pairing veterans with the community at large via physical & social activity, team RWB is short for this, natch

BOOKS OF THE 1930s $2000: Ding! Ding! This hard-boiled 1934 novel was James M. Cain's first
(Garrett: What is the The Iceman Cometh?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Cindy: $12,200
Tim: $11,400
Garrett: $2,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CITY NAMES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Cindy: Wager $10,601 to cover Tim. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $5,001.
Tim: Your score is within 4/5ths of Cindy's, so wager between $1,601 (venusian) and $5,799 (martian), beating Cindy's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Garrett's part.
Garrett: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Tim, but if Tim decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $1,200.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Cuba's second-most populous city & a South American capital share this name that refers to St. James

FINAL SCORES
Garrett: $2,800 - $1,000 = $1,800 (What is Asuncion) (3rd place)
Tim: $11,400 - $3,600 = $7,800 (What is Asuncion?) (2nd place)
Cindy: $12,200 + $10,601 = $22,801 (What is Santiago?) (New champion: $22,801)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $18,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Tim: $11,400, 14 R, 0 W
Cindy: $9,400, 15 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Garrett: $2,200, 11 R (including 2 DDs), 8 W
Combined Coryat: $23,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Cindy: 16/59 = .271
Tim: 14/58 = .241
Garrett: 11/60 = .183
Team: 41/63 = .651

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HOLIDAY DUETS $400: Darius Rucker & Sheryl Crow are among the pairs who have recorded this chilly duet that begins, "I really can't stay"
(Garrett: What is "It's Cold Outside"?)
(Alex: Give me a little more.)
(Garrett: Uh....)

ALL ABOUT ANIMALS $200: (Kelly of the crew clue reports from the Smithsonian National Zoo in Washington, D.C.) In China, giant pandas, with their black-and-white fur, were thought to be a physical manifestation of these two principles that come together to create peace & harmony

ALL ABOUT ANIMALS $600: A cackle is a group of these African mammals, one of which is heard here

ALL ABOUT ANIMALS $1000: (Sarah of the crew clue reports from the Smithsonian National Zoo in Washington, D.C.) Extinct in the wild until recently, Przewalski's horse, the only truly wild horse, has been reintroduced back into China & this landlocked neighbor to the north, where it is a symbol of national heritage

ALLITERATION $400: In 1991 a group of artists came up with this as a symbol of support for those living with AIDS & HIV
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

ALLITERATION $600: It's what the guy seen here is holding

TO THE END"THE" DEGREE $800: To put your sword away
(Garrett: What is scathe?)

LESSER-KNOWN HISTORIC NAMES $1200: Button Gwinnett died in 1777, less than a year after doing this; that combination makes his signature worth $1/2 mil.
(Garrett: What is signing the Constitution)

CORRECT RESPONSES
an anteater
Juliette Gordon Low
epsilon and upsilon
"The Little Drummer Boy"
"Christmas Time Is Here"
Jimmy Carter
blood banks
the Blue Ridge Mountains
Red Dawn
the Dead Sea Scrolls
Siegfried
the Cossacks
Sault Ste. Marie
The Thin Man
Forces
posse
Red, White and Blue
The Postman Always Rings Twice
Santiago
"Baby, It's Cold Outside"
yin and yang
hyenas
Mongolia
a red ribbon
a ticker tape
sheathe
signing the Declaration of Independence
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CITY NAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Cuba’s second-most populous city & a South American capital share this name that refers to St. James

Tim Aten: 11400-3600=7800
Garrett Levenbrook: 2800-1000=1800
Cindy Stowell: 12200+10601=22801 (New Champ!)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Santiago (Tim – Asuncion) (Garrett – Asuncion)

Daily Doubles
Garrett: 0+1000
Cindy: 5000+4000
Garrett: 1600+2000

Coryats
Tim: 11400
Garrett: 2200
Cindy: 9400

Combined: 23,000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I like the words from Dr. Seuss when Horton hatches an elephant-bird:

And it should be,
it should be, it SHOULD be
like that!

Cindy bet $4000 on her Daily Double and had the lead for the FJ! round. Cindy was the only one to get the FJ! clue correct. A Jeopardy! match can be won many ways. Tonight's path to victory was very fitting and well done considering the circumstances.

In 30 seconds I managed to only sort through about half of the South American capitals as I was thinking of a country, then its capital and they trying to translate it to make James. Fortunately, Chile was on the plus side and Santiago was superior to the capitals I dismissed.

Tim was in position to make his second place standing hold up until Alex got to Cindy's response. Not this time. Run over. Tim dropped his pick, could not undo the straight jacket straps and the assistant had to take the axe to the water tank.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I knew St. James was San Diego, but on a half a night of sleep following a double shift, I couldn't make that into an S.A. capital. Boo to me, but yay for Cindy.
mdude04
Valued Contributor

Post by mdude04 »

Anyone else think the Pi clue was poorly written in "It's a Greek Letter"?

"It continues with 15926535..."

I wanted to say "What is 3.14" because Pi does not "continue" with that string of numbers. That string of numbers is included in the number Pi.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Juliette Gordon Low is another one of those distinctive names that always eludes me.

Ran Greek Letters, surprisingly, since I usually stumble on at least one.

Yes, I got Animals for $400. :D Got all but Mongolia since that one required not animal but rather geographical knowledge, in which I am far weaker.

I saw no way to get "Little Drummer Boy" on Duets for $600. That clue seemed insanely wide open.

Ran End"the".

I honestly couldn't think of any city in Cuba other than Havana, and brainstorming South American capitals got me nowhere.

Also, Sault Ste. Marie has nothing to do with falls. There are no falls that empty directly into Lake Huron. Dafuq was that clue going on about? Can anyone explain?
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Rooting against a seven-time champ is certainly not something I usually do... but I did tonight. And I think it's quite understandable. Few wins on Jeopardy have ever made me happier.

Play on, Cindy... play on.
MarkBarrett wrote:And it should be,
like that!
Abso-DAMN-lutely.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

For FJ, St. --> Sant...iago (James = Iago?....yeah sounds about right). Done.
MarkBarrett wrote:I like the words from Dr. Seuss when Horton hatches an elephant-bird:

And it should be,
like that!
Hell yes. Now and forever, a J! champion. I don't think I've ever rooted for a particular contestant any harder. I did have to grit my teeth when she called the animated TF movie awful :lol:
Tim dropped his pick, could not undo the straight jacket straps and the assistant had to take the axe to the water tank.
After the first two went with Asuncion, I was waiting for the TS and another great escape. But hey, 7 days, 100k, can't complain. See you in the TOC!
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

I got FJ! I also kinda cried. She deserved that.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

lisa0012 wrote:I got FJ! I also kinda cried. She deserved that.
Feel stupid for not getting FJ, but not for the dust in the room. Well done to her. :)

Also, I consider myself fairly well-versed on the wars and I can't recall of hearing about the Sigfreid Line. That seemed REALLY hard for a $800 clue.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Bravo, Cindy!
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

It may have helped Cindy (it certainly did me) that there was a similar question to FJ in LL a few seasons ago.

http://learnedleague.com/question.php?63&23&3
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I was surprised that there wasn't a special message from Alex edited into the show. Even my cat Lemma started crying after she won.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

WTG Cindy! You could tell that she had a low energy level (and reportedly she was suffering from a blood infection during the taping), and for her to be getting in consistently on the buzzer, and to be sharp enough to access her considerable knowledge (she was an A-rundler in Learned League) was especially impressive under the circumstances. To not only appear on J!, but to be a J! champion -- and with a sole solve on FJ, no less -- I am so happy that Cindy was able to achieve this. So now I get to root for her again tomorrow night!

I thought it was funny when she said she was going to "chicken out" and wager "only" $4,000 of her $5,000 on her single-J!-round DD. Compared to the wager that the typical contestant makes in that situation, hers wasn't poultry-like at all.

I got the FJ, by going thru South American capitals. Luckily I focused on the bigger countries so I got to Santiago with some time to spare. Did "Iago" = James? Well, the city had "Sant" in its name, and that was good enough for me. Plus, I vaguely recalled a Cuban city named Santiago.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:I was surprised that there wasn't a special message from Alex edited into the show.
I thought I heard somewhere that they're going to do something when her run comes to an end, but I can't remember where I heard that.

Re: FJ!: This one came down to me thinking, "Wait, the Spanish name for James is 'Diego'...but San Diego isn't a South American capital...

(thinks some more, writes down 'What is San')

Oh! Duh! Santiago, Chile! (fills in the rest)"

Cindy, as Art Fleming used to say..."Well-wagered, well questioned!"
アタックチャンス!
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Yes, another supporter for Cindy. I'm glad she won, I was afraid she won't.
I want to see a game with Garrett from today and Amy from yesterday.

I said soo falls for lake Huron clue, is that acceptable?

I could have answered this FJ in sleep... Iago should also trigger Othello.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

doihavetoreally wrote:I said soo falls for lake Huron clue, is that acceptable?
I still have no idea what that clue was even referring to. There are no falls relatively close to Sault Ste. Marie, at least none that empty into Lake Huron. Google and Wikipedia are of no help.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Juliette Gordon Low is another one of those distinctive names that always eludes me.
Same here. I yelled, "Who is Juliette... Baden-Powell. Crap!"