Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Re: Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Vermonter »

MarkBarrett wrote:The question that led off the Dec. 6 show:
Spoiler
$30,000
This should have been one of those game-blocking $50k questions. Something I noticed in hindsight:

$100 appears in 3 of the answers
$5 appears in 2 of the answers

Does this make it more likely that $100 will be somewhere in the correct answer, and $5 is a red herring? I have a hunch, but no data to go on. (There was another "pick 3" question on today's episode, but I deleted it before I thought to analyze those answers, so maybe someone can pull it up.)
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Vermonter wrote:
Spoiler
$30,000
This should have been one of those game-blocking $50k questions. Something I noticed in hindsight:

$100 appears in 3 of the answers
$5 appears in 2 of the answers

Does this make it more likely that $100 will be somewhere in the correct answer, and $5 is a red herring? I have a hunch, but no data to go on. (There was another "pick 3" question on today's episode, but I deleted it before I thought to analyze those answers, so maybe someone can pull it up.)
I got it from here: https://bobbymgsk.wordpress.com/2016/12 ... ire-12916/

Spoiler
$20K: Besides Elizabeth, what are the three names that belonged to a reigning king or queen of England in the 20th C.?

A: Anne, Henry, Edward
B: James, Victoria, Henry
C: Edward, George, Anne
D: George, Victoria, Edward
Correct answer:
Spoiler
D of course. So that is:
James: 1
Anne: 2
George: 2
Henry: 2
Victoria: 2
Edward: 3
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

Vermonter wrote:
Spoiler
$30,000
This should have been one of those game-blocking $50k questions.
Just in my own opinion, I feel like for both this season and last season, the $30k question has been the game-blocking question with rare exception. It either stops a player cold or swallows up some lifelines, and the difficulty is, again in my opinion, dramatically increased from the $20k.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

kprather895 wrote:
Vermonter wrote:
Spoiler
$30,000
This should have been one of those game-blocking $50k questions.
Just in my own opinion, I feel like for both this season and last season, the $30k question has been the game-blocking question with rare exception. It either stops a player cold or swallows up some lifelines, and the difficulty is, again in my opinion, dramatically increased from the $20k.
My personal at home stats would confirm this, my get rate drops bigly :p from $20k to $30k, but my $30k is about even with my $50k. Really wish I could've had my normal stats in person :)
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The December 15 episode began with returning contestant, Jamie Marx.
Spoiler
$20,000
Lifeline:
Spoiler
Jamie then used his +1 lifeline (his brother) as well.
Next:
Spoiler
C. Final Answer Sharon Stone and Emma Stone are not mother and daughter unlike Tony & Jamie Lee Curtis, Bruce & Laura Dern, and Kirk & Michael Douglas
Next:
Spoiler
$30,000
Next:
Spoiler
Jamie had no lifelines remaining. He knew there was a Panama City and a Kuwait City. He decided to walk with his $20K, but would have guessed correctly it was Bangladesh. The capital city is of course Dhaka.

Next:
Spoiler
Board member and J! champImage
Next:
Spoiler
Jeff went through the five questions in the next spoiler box without lifelines.

Next:
Spoiler
$500: Which of the following's a classic Michael J. Fox movie character, and NOT a McDonald's menu item?

A: McGriddle
B: McNugget
C: McFly
D: McFlurry

$1,000: In 2016, CA sisters Bea & Leah Koch opened The Ripped Bodice, believed to be America's first bookstore devoted exclusively to what often-steamy genre?

A: Science Fiction
B: Romance
C: Self-Help
D: Travel

$2,000: Dubbed the "herpes of the craft world" because it's so hard to get rid of, Real Simple says you can remove what from fabrics by using a lint roller?

A: Glitter
B: Chicken wire
C: Bubble wrap
D: Posterboard

$3,000: While now you CAN'T even touch it, visitors to what famous destination used to bring chisels so that they could take home souvenirs?

A: Stonehenge
B: The Eiffel Tower
C: The Taj Mahal
D: The Statue of Liberty

$5,000: Unaffiliated with the "Thong Song" sister Sisqo, CISCO & Sysco are ranked #54 & #57 in the Fortune 500, and specialize in what, respectively?

A: Oil refining & shoe sales
B: Pharmaceuticals & sports equip.
C: Computer networking & food distribution
D: Life insurance & art supplies
Next:
Spoiler
The answers to the first 5: McFly, romance, glitter, Stonehenge, computer networking & food distribution

Next:
Spoiler
$7,000
Next:
Spoiler
Jeff needed help and the audience gave him 77% for the correct answer.
Next:
Spoiler
Michael Jordan
Next:
Spoiler
$10,000
Next:
Spoiler
The correct answer is B: Backgammon
Next:
Spoiler
$20,000
Next:
Spoiler
Jeff quoted the relevant portions of the 4th Amendment and locked in A: TSA as the correct answer.
Next:
Spoiler
Jeff will return tomorrow to see the $30,000 question with his 50:50 and this +1 lifeline (bearded guy in front right) available.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Stupid question maybe, but is bearded guy Alex Jacob? If so, he just *might* be able to find something to do in his Vegas spare time.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Sure likes him! I'm surprised the first contestant couldn't figure out the Capitol cities question. He eliminated 2 right away.
RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RichmondJ »

Golf wrote:Stupid question maybe, but is bearded guy Alex Jacob? If so, he just *might* be able to find something to do in his Vegas spare time.
I actually don't think Alex did any moonlighting at all on this trip. In fact, he didn't even stay in town for the five days between this taping and TCONA. He went home and came back, as I did.
Last edited by RichmondJ on Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Retro good luck tomorrow!!!
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

RichmondJ wrote:
Golf wrote:Stupid question maybe, but is bearded guy Alex Jacob? If so, he just *might* be able to find something to do in his Vegas spare time.
Spoiler
I doubt this counts as a spoiler, but I'll box it anyway since it's still the air date. I actually don't think Alex did any moonlighting at all on this trip. In fact, he didn't even stay in town for the five days between this taping and TCONA. He went home and came back, as I did.
Spoiler
Again, not sure if this counts as a spoiler, but he was also someone else's +1 during the weekend of TCONA. The contestant (I can't remember his name) was scheduled to tape on the same 2 days I was, but we both were bumped due to a water leak at the set. However, you can only be a +1 twice during a season of Millionaire, so don't expect to see him too much more.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I got through Jeff's whole stack as well. I wasn't totally sure about the actor, but that was a good place to burn the AtA anyway.

(And way to go, Jeff! Take them to the cleaners!)
SwanShadow
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by SwanShadow »

IronNeck wrote:Props to SwanShadow for taking that $30,000 question with good humor.

To me, it's an awful question and a fine example of how to eliminate an excellent trivia mind from the game.
Aw... thanks! I'm not sure that I merit the "excellent" tag, but I'm grateful for the props. :)
Michael Rankins
ToC '88; Super J! '90; BoBAB '98; UToC '05; BotD Fan Favorite Reject, '14
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jeff Richmond returned today with two lifelines available:
Spoiler
$30,000
Next:
Spoiler
Jeff has done extensive traveling and has a collection of air sickness bags. A: Pristina was a no-doubter.
Next:
Spoiler
$50,000
Next:
Spoiler
Jeff was about 70% sure as he locked in B: Pablo Picasso and did not use a lifeline.
Next:
Spoiler
$100,000
Next:
Spoiler
Once again Jeff had about 70% confidence level as he locked in B: Angela Merkel and saved the lifelines of 50:50 and +1.
Next:
Spoiler
President Obama's news conference
My reaction is unprintable as the station of course got all the commercials in during the break and then broke in just before the reveal of the $250,000 question.
Next:
Spoiler
I knew where to look to find a recap.
$250,000:

Though he might be the world’s most famous ape, the fur used for “King Kong” in the ’33 film actually came from what animal?

A: Fox
B: Mink
C: Beaver
D: Rabbit
Next:
Spoiler
I do not know the order, but Jeff used both his +1 lifeline, Alex Jacob, and the 50:50
Next:
Spoiler
The 50:50 left Beaver & Rabbit
Next:
Spoiler
Jeff walked with his $100,000 and the correct answer was Rabbit.
The news conference break-in was about 11:40 my time and it's still continuing almost an hour later, so I don't know how many cities are having their airing of J! preempted?
RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RichmondJ »

Well, let me be the first to admit that my decision to walk in that situation was an epic failure of quantitative discipline. Because I had used the 50/50, it was a coin flip, but one on which the upside of being right was more than three times the downside of being wrong. I can't explain why I failed to see that in the moment. My only consolation, in hindsight, is that I would have guessed wrong. Guessing would have cost me $50k. But that doesn't mean I was right to walk. Just lucky.
Last edited by RichmondJ on Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote:The news conference break-in was about 11:40 my time and it's still continuing almost an hour later, so I don't know how many cities are having their airing of J! preempted?
I know of at least one. :(
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

RichmondJ wrote:
Spoiler
Well, let me be the first to admit that my decision to walk in that situation was an epic failure of quantitative discipline. Because I had used the 50/50, it was a coin flip, but one on which the upside of being right was more than three times the downside of being wrong. I can't explain why I failed to see that in the moment. My only consolation, in hindsight, is that I would have guessed wrong. Guessing would have cost me $50k. But that doesn't mean I was right to walk. Just lucky.
Spoiler
Assuming j-archive is correct about your Jeopardy winnings, you are now the third person to break six figures on both Jeopardy and Millionaire, joining Bill MacDonald and Ken Jennings.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

kprather895 wrote:
Spoiler
Assuming j-archive is correct about your Jeopardy winnings, you are now the third person to break six figures on both Jeopardy and Millionaire, joining Bill MacDonald and Ken Jennings.
http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=5027
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

My DVR failed to record today's show. :x Congratulations, Jeff!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

RichmondJ wrote:
Spoiler
I don't really need to spoilerize in this thread, but ...
Spoiler
Yeah, that surprised me. The expected value of guessing was $50k (plus the look at the $500k). And you had quant jock Alex standing right next to you! I was sure he was going to bring that up!

I would have done exactly what you did. I got up through the $100k right, and would have said beaver if it came down to a guess. The funny thing is I just last week read the Wikipedia article on King Kong, and it didn't mention what kind of fur was used. There was almost no way to actually know that one and no TOM at all.

Congratulations on the awesome payday, Jeff! I haven't really been watching this season, but I'm guessing that's among the top amount won this year.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I wish I'd been your plus 1! I was pretty sure it was rabbit from somewhere in the corners of my mind. Good run anyway!