Tuesday, December 20, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Re: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Golf »

This was a flat out nasty sports clue. I confidently and sadly stated it would be a TS, then when Cindy pulled the answer I knew she had won. Plenty of Sports J contestants couldn't have told you where Phelps and/or Ledecky were from.

This story just keeps getting more amazing.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ah, Julia. You had two opportunities to put the game away and thought you were "playing it safe" by not wagering to do so. Against a contestant of Cindy's caliber, cautious bets are anything but.

Congrats again to Cindy for her truly impressive depth and breadth of knowledge.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Julia Collins won 20 games debuting with a 8000 Coryat while Julia Kite won none with a 23,600 Coryat. J! can be a funny game.

Tonight's Julia tipped her hand on timid DD betting with the first one being 800+800 instead of the full 1K. The other DD wagers begged for a little more confidence and courage.

Cindy pounced on her chance with the excellent sole solve. Super status indeed.
Golf wrote:This was a flat out nasty sports clue. I confidently and sadly stated it would be a TS, then when Cindy pulled the answer I knew she had won. Plenty of Sports J contestants couldn't have told you where Phelps and/or Ledecky were from.

This story just keeps getting more amazing.
Your post helps me feel a touch better about missing the FJ! clue. My precall list had the swimmers and gymnasts of note and I felt confident I could identify the proper sport if the clue went to a lesser-known name.

The wording of the clue threw me off as I was not interpreting well. A man won 9 gold medals? No way! That did not happen. What are they talking about? It took me way too long to understand that it was 9 combined for the one man and one woman with five other medals scattered to other winners.

I got to Ledecky and Phelps as the two and had a blank on where they were from. I wrote California in thinking I was sure that Ledecky went to Stanford. Trying to think of a college for Michael Phelps was not happening since I could only remember him from the Olympics.

When Cindy's response of Maryland was shown my reaction was, "Baltimore sports teams, of course! I know that!" A very annoying miss. Phelps has thrown out the first pitch at Camden Yards. Phelps and one of his races was shown on the scoreboard at a Ravens exhibition game holding up play. Phelps's friends attending in Rio yelled out "O" during the national anthem.

August was not that long ago and very quickly things I learned during the two weeks of watching the Rio games do not stay in my head long enough to register. Grrr!
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Julia Collins won 20 games debuting with a 8000 Coryat while Julia Kite won none with a 23,600 Coryat.
I'm a little confused by this. Julia added $4,400 on her DD solves, according to the archive. So since she had $23,800 after DJ, how could her Coryat have been $23,600, just $200 less than her pre-FJ score?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Instaget FJ; knew that one of the two had to be Phelps, and knew he was a Marylander.

Epically bad DD wagering from Julia, especially the last - as bad as I've seen lately given how far ahead she was and how little was left on the board.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

OSXpert wrote:I thought I remembered that Michael Phelps went to University of Michigan, so I went with that. My memory was correct but that didn't end up being relevent.
I remembered that, and I remembered the infamous bong photo was taken at the University of South Carolina, but I couldn't remember his actual home state. More than a little frustrating for me.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Finally uploading today's game. It should be available in 1 1/2 to 2 hours:

https://vimeo.com/196530962/
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

hbomb1947 wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Julia Collins won 20 games debuting with a 8000 Coryat while Julia Kite won none with a 23,600 Coryat.
I'm a little confused by this. Julia added $4,400 on her DD solves, according to the archive. So since she had $23,800 after DJ, how could her Coryat have been $23,600, just $200 less than her pre-FJ score?
Yes, +$4400 (800+2000+1600) on the DDs from box values of $600, $2000, & $1600. Julia gained $200 above combined box values and that $200 is taken away for the Coryat calculation.

Hammer: Please check my math. 600+2000+1600=4200? :)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Our wagering Vikings have been especially mild in their condemnation of those DD wagers. While the first two were mildly defensible, that last one had me screaming at the TV "You give up NOTHING with a 5K bet!!" Alas, my screaming had no retroactive impact and Julia paid the price for timidity. As others have said, great get by Cindy and kudos to her as a 6 day champ.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
Yes, +$4400 (800+2000+1600) on the DDs from box values of $600, $2000, & $1600. Julia gained $200 above combined box values and that $200 is taken away for the Coryat calculation.

Hammer: Please check my math. 600+2000+1600=4200? :)
Ah, I've been wrong for years about how Coryats are calculated. :oops: Thanks for clarifying.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

As TPH noted, we're all Cindy fans! I was worried that the anti-car lady was going to win so Cindy's win was doubly sweet. Phelps is the greatest Olympian ever & ive read about him previously. Plus one of his previous girlfriends is friends with my niece who lives in Columbia.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Woof wrote:Our wagering Vikings have been especially mild in their condemnation of those DD wagers. While the first two were mildly defensible, that last one had me screaming at the TV "You give up NOTHING with a 5K bet!!" Alas, my screaming had no retroactive impact and Julia paid the price for timidity. As others have said, great get by Cindy and kudos to her as a 6 day champ.
In Julia's very mild defense, she would give up a crush with a 5k bet were she to get it wrong. Although given how far away 3rd place was, a crush was worth less than usual in that situation, and at any rate, risking a crush (but still having a healthy lead) to go for the lock is a no-brainer.

Especially for a clearly knowledgeable contestant like Julia.

In some cases, strong players who don't win on Jeopardy are the victims of bad luck, like when McKinnie Lee Sizemore played outstandingly well...but finished 2nd in a phenomenal three-way duel with Margaret Miles and future 6-day champion Andrew Pau.

In other instances, strong players lose through their own mistakes, as in Julia's case.
bengland
Jeopardy! Toker

Post by bengland »

Am I the only person who got Maryland by remembering Phelps' drunk driving arrest was in Baltimore?

Amazed that such a well-prepared and game show experienced player failed to make the right DD bet at the end. So glad she did. Made my second contribution to CRI after this thrilling win.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:I feel like today's FJ is vaguely worded and could have broken bad. But another sole get from Cindy renders those concerns moot. Incredible.
Ungrammatical too. "Were", not "was". Subjunctive mood.

But yeah, good, Cindy, Real good.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

bengland wrote:Am I the only person who got Maryland by remembering Phelps' drunk driving arrest was in Baltimore?

Amazed that such a well-prepared and game show experienced player failed to make the right DD bet at the end. So glad she did. Made my second contribution to CRI after this thrilling win.
Your post made me do some research. Julia was on a 3-person team that won $115,000 on The Chase.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Johnblue wrote:As TPH noted, we're all Cindy fans!
Ich bin ein Stoweller!
Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Post by Peachbox »

bengland wrote:Am I the only person who got Maryland by remembering Phelps' drunk driving arrest was in Baltimore?
Not quite, but I did remember that he trained in Baltimore and got FJ from that. My precall was Simone, for Simone Biles and Simone Manuel. We may see a clue on that yet.

I don't know what else to say about Cindy. It's amazing and humbling to watch her play, knowing the circumstances.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $34,400
42 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: Ted Stevens, James Barrie, Mike Posner

I'm not sure what can be said about Cindy's run that has not already been said. Simply amazing.

I missed the last DD on a coin flip between Henry Miller and James Michener and FJ! on a coin flip between Maryland and Texas. 50/50/90, indeed.

I might come to Julia's defense about that last DD wager since it represented a punt to maintain her crush, but it was obvious she only wagered that amount because it was the clue's board value.
hbomb1947 wrote:Ah, I've been wrong for years about how Coryats are calculated. :oops: Thanks for clarifying.
Just to clarify a little further, Coryat scores DDs at their clue value if correct, but zero if not. They're basically free guesses.
Sprinkles are for winners.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Gosh, Julia was a buzz saw. Someone like that needs to have Larissa level DD guts.

Obviously, I would have been more disappointed if a player of that caliber lost to anyone but Cindy. She hung tough against someone who had mad buzzer skills.

I do wonder just how good a fully healthy Cindy would have been. A very sick Cindy is a great player with some wicked knowledge. Add in a little more strength for even quicker buzzer skills and who knows how high she could go?
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Phelps and one of his races was shown on the scoreboard at a Ravens exhibition game holding up play.
I remember that for some reason. ;)

The only time we'll go all black these days is the preseason because of the bad juju attached to it. :lol: