Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by dhkendall »

Just a note (this has been posted before, but I doubt we all remember, I didn't until I just noticed now), your clock changing from last weekend aren't done, apparently the clock on the board needs resetting if you want the times yours and others' posts show up as correctly.

Go to User Control Panel (top left, under the jboard logo), then Board Preferences. "Edit Global Settings" should appear. Change "Summer Time/DST is in effect:" to "No". Submit.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Tuesday, November 15, 2016 NYT crossword puzzle by David J. Kahn has a bunch of gimme long fills for fans of a certain sports team. It was Tuesday easy for me since I like the sport and know the history. For non-sports fans they might not enjoy it as much. If you only get the puzzle on delay from your local paper then it's worth the wait.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

MarkBarrett wrote:The Tuesday, November 15, 2016 NYT crossword puzzle by David J. Kahn has a bunch of gimme long fills for fans of a certain sports team. It was Tuesday easy for me since I like the sport and know the history. For non-sports fans they might not enjoy it as much. If you only get the puzzle on delay from your local paper then it's worth the wait.
Five week delay for syndicated papers. I don't usually bother with Tuesday puzzles, but I'll try to remember to take a look in December.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The NES Classic is a $60.00 hot item this holiday season that comes with 30 of the old games from the Nintendo system.

It's hard to find in stores or online and scalpers on eBay and Amazon are selling them for hugely marked up prices.

I'll get one when I get one and would never pay more than the retail price. Anyway, for kicks I looked on eBay to see how the sales are going.

This listing cracked me up: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOX-INSERTS-ONL ... Sw4GVYLm5l

The seller is offering the empty box and contents without the console itself for $89.99 :lol:

America, what a country.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:The NES Classic is a $60.00 hot item this holiday season that comes with 30 of the old games from the Nintendo system.

It's hard to find in stores or online and scalpers on eBay and Amazon are selling them for hugely marked up prices.

I'll get one when I get one and would never pay more than the retail price. Anyway, for kicks I looked on eBay to see how the sales are going.

This listing cracked me up: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOX-INSERTS-ONL ... Sw4GVYLm5l

The seller is offering the empty box and contents without the console itself for $89.99 :lol:

America, what a country.
This is actually a thing. Skip to the end of this article (although you may like to read from the beginning) to see that empty packaging has been a hot eBay item for years.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

To be fair, the original box for Stadium Events on the NES, nothing more than some packaging for a crappy game, would easily sell for $3,000 or more.

I wish I was joking.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Amazon's "Little Man" horse ad was adorable. This one for Mercedes Benz is a rare gem in the car category:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-3XQ6h7Hos
Ladybug
Contributor

Post by Ladybug »

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This seems like something my avatar would do.
Static.jpg
Static.jpg (91.62 KiB) Viewed 3976 times
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Jeopardy! store is open with new items: http://www.thejeopardystore.com
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bizarre website find of the day -- "listen" to Wikipedia changes (it's strangely compelling and interesting):

http://listen.hatnote.com/
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:The Jeopardy! store is open with new items: http://www.thejeopardystore.com
I kind of miss the old stuff. I would have ordered both the podium t-shirt and the necktie (and wore it on stage when The Call comes) were I living in a location they could ship to.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Why did ArcSoft have to discontinue their Blu-Ray player? It was awesome and it worked and now it's being a whiny pain in the keister with some new discs (including most recently the 2016 World Series set. Amazingly, it played Finding Dory perfectly and it's been real finicky with recent Disney discs...)

Managed to find a workaround but it's way more frustrating than it has any right to be. I bought the freaking discs, why can I not play them, oh wise and glorious content masters?!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
PowerofHoodoo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by PowerofHoodoo »

I have a question about the mechanics of the board. I started the Cindy Stowell topic at about 1:54pm on December 8 and my handle was on it to my knowledge until this morning. However, it now has "by Harrumph" with a first posting about 2 hours later.

My authorship is not important; it's just that it's the first time I initiated a topic on this board. Is this just something wonky that happened, or am I not authorized to start a topic?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

PowerofHoodoo wrote:I have a question about the mechanics of the board. I started the Cindy Stowell topic at about 1:54pm on December 8 and my handle was on it to my knowledge until this morning. However, it now has "by Harrumph" with a first posting about 2 hours later.

My authorship is not important; it's just that it's the first time I initiated a topic on this board. Is this just something wonky that happened, or am I not authorized to start a topic?
It would appear something wonky happened.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

PowerofHoodoo wrote:I have a question about the mechanics of the board. I started the Cindy Stowell topic at about 1:54pm on December 8 and my handle was on it to my knowledge until this morning. However, it now has "by Harrumph" with a first posting about 2 hours later.

Your post got deleted somehow. 'Twasn't me.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I have managed so far to figure out what the post number was, but it doesn't seem to be intact in either of the last two (automated) backups.

alietr, do you back up the db separately by any chance?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

bpmod wrote:I have managed so far to figure out what the post number was, but it doesn't seem to be intact in either of the last two (automated) backups.

alietr, do you back up the db separately by any chance?

Brian
Yes, but I've been traveling a lot, and probably haven't done so in a few weeks. Plus it's on my home computer, which is currently turned off. I can check when I get back, but I'm not optimistic on that one.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

NBC aired aired a third episode of The Wall Tuesday night. It's like Plinko mixed with trivia questions.

The couple builds up their bank with balls falling into money slots. Get a question right and the ball turns green falling into a money slot to add that amount to the bank. Miss the question and the ball turns red subtracting the amount where it lands.

These are two of the questions the wife missed. She's in isolation behind the big wall answering the questions while the husband in front of the huge wall chooses the slots to drop the balls.
Spoiler
If it's too hard to see the third choice on the bottom is Wyoming. The wife said she lives in Colorado and has been to Four Corners.

When all of the questions have been asked and all of the balls have been dropped then it's contract time. A contract is sent to the wife based on questions she answered correctly (I think it's $10,000 per correct answer) plus money the couple won in free drops to the start the game. The amount on the contract was 50K and change. The wife decides to sign the contract and that is what they will win or tear up the contract and get the full amount of the bank. The catch is while she has been in isolation she had not been told if her answers have been right or wrong and she has no idea where the total bank stands.

It's possible to have $12 million dollars and it's possible to have $0

This is the total amount the couple won.
Spoiler
America. What a country! She tore up the contract, obviously.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

MarkBarrett wrote:When all of the questions have been asked and all of the balls have been dropped then it's contract time. A contract is sent to the wife based on questions she answered correctly (I think it's $10,000 per correct answer) plus money the couple won in free drops to the start the game.
It's $20,000 per correct answer.

There was a noticeable jump in difficulty in the questions between the pre-Christmas pilot episode (the Ohio "Teacher of the Year" and her husband) and Monday night's episode. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.
Sprinkles are for winners.