Wednesday, December 21, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Elijah Baley »

The "rhymin'" category should be hauled out and shot. To ding someone for adding the "g" - and I don't really care that Alex said not to do it - seemed like an unnecessary gimmick.

Another Bermuda here; Bahamas just didn't occur to me in time.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I thought she added a g on another response as well.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

thenextofken wrote:I found it interesting that Alex said, "What you don't know is" during Cindy's tribute. I'm betting alot more people knew about Cindy's plight than he realized, because the story seemed to be all over the news.
I think this was also recorded between the time of her passing and when it hit the news. (And, as mentioned, we can't assume J! viewers watch the news, we can only assume they watch J! (We can't even assume they follow J! on social media))

And re: the Slowik comment - oy. Was that person aware of *why* he wasn't invited when they proposed that? (Again, if they don't follow anything else, they wouldn't know why. If they weren't on FB at the time they probably wouldn't know)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dhkendall wrote:
thenextofken wrote:I found it interesting that Alex said, "What you don't know is" during Cindy's tribute. I'm betting alot more people knew about Cindy's plight than he realized, because the story seemed to be all over the news.
I think this was also recorded between the time of her passing and when it hit the news. (And, as mentioned, we can't assume J! viewers watch the news, we can only assume they watch J! (We can't even assume they follow J! on social media))

And re: the Slowik comment - oy. Was that person aware of *why* he wasn't invited when they proposed that? (Again, if they don't follow anything else, they wouldn't know why. If they weren't on FB at the time they probably wouldn't know)
That same person also asked if Cindy would be in the TOC. My suspicion is he is just a jerk.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

Not only were all three DD's behind $800 clues, all three had $1,000 wagers. That's gotta be some sort of first.

Would "triflin'" have been acceptable on the "nickel-and-dimin'" clue?
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

This Is Kirk! wrote: For FJ I wrote down Bahamas, but very nearly changed my answer to Jamaica at the last second. Luckily for me I ran out of time!
You guys actually write down your FJ responses when you watch the show? That's some serious Jeoparding.
dhkendall wrote: And re: the Slowik comment - oy. Was that person aware of *why* he wasn't invited when they proposed that? (Again, if they don't follow anything else, they wouldn't know why. If they weren't on FB at the time they probably wouldn't know)
Who is Jerry Slowik and why is he persona non grata? (I'm new here.)
davey

Post by davey »

Newhausen wrote:Not only were all three DD's behind $800 clues, all three had $1,000 wagers. That's gotta be some sort of first.

No. Not close to a rhyme. My idle wonder was, would just dimin' have made it. It was my only coin-related stab at the time, and I didn't think about hyphenated words fitting the category. Probably not, but the correct response was certainly an outlier...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote:
Newhausen wrote:Not only were all three DD's behind $800 clues, all three had $1,000 wagers. That's gotta be some sort of first.

No. Not close to a rhyme.
Assonance.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Kenny wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote: For FJ I wrote down Bahamas, but very nearly changed my answer to Jamaica at the last second. Luckily for me I ran out of time!
You guys actually write down your FJ responses when you watch the show? That's some serious Jeoparding.
Gotta know if you'll get it in time. Realizing the response is "antidisestablishmentarianism" at 28 seconds is okay and all but if you can't write it down legibly in 2, it's effectively a miss.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Gotta know if you'll get it in time. Realizing the response is "antidisestablishmentarianism" at 28 seconds is okay and all but if you can't write it down legibly in 2, it's effectively a miss.
Plus there's the whole "recreating the circumstances of the show as much as possible" factor (at least for me). Get comfortable doing it at home and you'll be comfortable doing it at Studio 10.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

opusthepenguin wrote:
davey wrote:

Assonance.
Hey! That kind of talk isn't allowed on these boards!

Bad penguin! No herring for you!

a1srvng
Valued Contributor

Post by a1srvng »

"You guys actually write down your FJ responses when you watch the show? That's some serious Jeoparding."

I've been doing it for a couple of years now because, while thinking about the show, I sometimes forget what the FJ was and don't feel like replaying the VCR up to the end of the show or jumping online in the middle of the night. I just check my little book and voila!
Shaymin
Valued Contributor

Post by Shaymin »

Kenny wrote: Who is Jerry Slowik and why is he persona non grata? (I'm new here.)
Child sexual assault charges.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Kenny wrote: Who is Jerry Slowik and why is he persona non grata? (I'm new here.)
A 5-day, $122k champion who qualified for the 2015 ToC but whose invitation was rescinded because of legal problems. The first such instance in the history of the show.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

IronNeck wrote:
A 5-day, $122k champion who qualified for the 2015 ToC but whose invitation was rescinded because of legal problems. The first such instance in the history of the show.
Barbara Lowe gets mentioned here every so often and each time there are newer board members unaware of her story.

She won five games around 1986 or 1987 depending on the source and was kind of a game show professional. She lied on her J! application and played under an alias. J! was ready to withhold her winnings from the regular games, the contestant hired a lawyer, and a deal was made to pay her with the agreement she would not be in the TOC.

That's the short version. Search on this board for "Barbara Lowe" for other posts about it.

Not the same kind of legal problems as Jerry Slowik, but Barbara Lowe, did win 5 while not playing in a TOC. And Ken Jennings of course had his own special arrangement to see that he got at least 250K for not being in a traditional TOC.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

MarkBarrett wrote:
IronNeck wrote:
Barbara Lowe gets mentioned here every so often and each time there are newer board members unaware of her story.

She won five games around 1986 or 1987 depending on the source and was kind of a game show professional. She lied on her J! application and played under an alias. J! was ready to withhold her winnings from the regular games, the contestant hired a lawyer, and a deal was made to pay her with the agreement she would not be in the TOC.

That's the short version. Search on this board for "Barbara Lowe" for other posts about it.

Not the same kind of legal problems as Jerry Slowik, but Barbara Lowe, did win 5 while not playing in a TOC. And Ken Jennings of course had his own special arrangement to see that he got at least 250K for not being in a traditional TOC.
Very interesting. Thanks for the heads-up, and I will search more about it. In principle, I don't mind game show sharks.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

davey wrote:

Oh, duh, right. I forgot the category was Rhymes and not just Words Inexplicably Missing the G for Some Reason.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

IronNeck wrote:
A 5-day, $122k champion who qualified for the 2015 ToC but whose invitation was rescinded because of legal problems.
It was the 2014 ToC. (Mark Japinga got the last spot as a result; otherwise it would have been the first ToC since 2001 with no 4x champs in it.)
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

seaborgium wrote:
IronNeck wrote:
A 5-day, $122k champion who qualified for the 2015 ToC but whose invitation was rescinded because of legal problems.
It was the 2014 ToC. (Mark Japinga got the last spot as a result; otherwise it would have been the first ToC since 2001 with no 4x champs in it.)
I see. I was going off the archive. Someone should update it.