Thursday, December 22, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, December 22, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7429, 2016-12-22

CONTESTANTS
Brad Snyder, a consulting electrical engineer from Port Deposit, Maryland
Amelia Reinwald, an abuse prevention educator from Irving, Texas
Sam Scovill, a G.I.S. technician from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (whose 1-day cash winnings total $22,001)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Hi, everyone. Thank you, Johnny. Hello, ladies and gentlemen. On yesterday's program, we said goodbye to Cindy, a 6-day champion who walked away with about $104,000, to be replaced by Sam, a winner of over $20,000. Can he make it to $100,000? First, he's gotta get by Amelia and Brad. We'll see how that works out. Good luck, players. Here we go to the Jeopardy! Round first. One Daily Double in this round, and here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MEET THE BEAGLES (5/5)
CHEMISTRY (4/5)
DOUBLE L (4/5)
TV SHOWS THAT DEBUTED IN 1984 (5/5) (Alex: Just like Jeopardy!, we'll deal with...)
THE WEDDING RECEPTION (2/2)
OUT OF TOWN GUESTS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sam: 13 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Brad: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Amelia: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sam found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Sam had $3,800, Amelia had $2,800, and Brad was at $1,400. Sam wagered $1,000.

OUT OF TOWN GUESTS $1000: We acknowledge uncle Abe, in from Botswana, & cousin Janet from the Nuweveld Range in this nation just below

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sam: $4,800
Amelia: $2,800
Brad: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Brad Snyder is from Port Deposit, Maryland. Brad, we're always interested in learning about how people got together. And in your case, I wanna know how you presented the engagement ring to your future wife.

Brad: Well, funny story, Alex. Uh, my, uh--we were starving college students. We had planned a wedding shortly after our graduation. We had arranged the money for everything expect for an engagement ring. And, uh, I had a bit of a windfall and came up with an engagement ring in secret. Uh, my wife, at the time, was a huge fan of the Cracker Jack snack. And as you recall, it comes with a prize.

Alex: Yeah.

Brad: I spent some time secreting the engagement ring in the crackerjacks and gave it to her, and she was quite surprised.

Alex: Okay. That's a great story. Thank you.

Alex: Amelia Reinwald, abuse prevention educator. That's a very important subject, it seems, in this day and age, much more than in my day. Uh, how are things going in that regard right now?

Amelia: Um, it's going okay. I actually haven't been doing the job for too long. I just finished doing all of my own training. But we go to different schools within the county, and we talk to the smaller kids with dolls about the difference between safe touch and unsafe touch. And then as they go--go older, it gets into more, like cyberbullying and harassment. And then finally, issues of consent and sexual assault.

Alex: Teaching kids how to get along is very important.

Amelia: Yes.

Alex: Okay. Good.

Alex: Sam Scovill is our champion, became champion yesterday. You had an encounter with a guy I consider to be an acquaintance, not quite a friend yet--Shaq.

Sam: That's right.

Alex: And you didn't treat him well.

Sam: Well, uh, I did get a chance to see him. Uh, I was in my car, driving down--downtown Oklahoma City, and, uh, I just rolled down my window and just went, "Is that Shaq?!" And he didn't even look at me, he just shook his head, and he just--I just drove on.

[Laughter]

Alex: Uh, Sam, let me tell you something.

[Sam laughs.]

Alex: There is no way on god's green earth that, if you see Shaquille O'Neal, you're gonna wonder, "Is that Shaq?"

[Laughter]

Alex: Shaq is... [reaches up above his head to indicate height] that's Shaq.

Sam: I think there's another one above that. So...

Alex: Yes, there is.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CHEMISTRY $800: Women process alcohol more slowly than men because their stomachs have less ADH, one of these catalysts

DOUBLE L $1000: John Dryden wrote, "What passion cannot music raise and" do this, meaning to pacify or quiet
(Amelia: What is mollify?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sam: $6,200
Brad: $4,600
Amelia: $2,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, December 22, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
COME FLY WITH ME (4/5) (Alex: Frank Sinatra's hit song.)
ACTORS & ACTRESSES (4/5)
NICARAGUA (2/5)
PRESIDENTIAL LOSERS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE NEW YORK TIMES 2016 BESTSELLERS (1/1)
SPELL IT WITH STATE ABBREVIATIONS (3/4, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: You have to give us the two states whose abbreviations, uh, wind up as the correct response to the clue.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brad: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Sam: 8 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Amelia: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 25
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sam snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Sam had $8,600, Amelia had $5,000, and Brad was at $5,800. Sam wagered $1,200.

PRESIDENTIAL LOSERS $1200: As of 2016 he is the only major party presidential nominee still serving in the U.S. Senate

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Brad who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Sam had $7,400, Amelia had $6,200, and Brad was at $9,000. Brad wagered $1,600.

SPELL IT WITH STATE ABBREVIATIONS $1200: It covers grapefruits
(Alex: Less than a minute.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ACTORS & ACTRESSES $1600: "a-LISS-ee-ah" is the pronunciation of the name of this Swedish actress who won an Oscar for "The Danish Girl"

PRESIDENTIAL LOSERS $2000: In 1936 this Kansas governor won only 8 electoral votes to FDR's 523

NICARAGUA $800: This highway system that has one end in Alaska passes through Nicaragua on its way to the tip of Tierra del Fuego

NICARAGUA $1600: The current president of Nicaragua, he had a 17-year hiatus between terms

NICARAGUA $2000: Nicaragua is the poorest country in Central America & 300,000 of its 6 million people have moved to this country just south
(Sam: What is Panama?)
(Brad: What is Honduras?)

COME FLY WITH ME $1600: In 1941, 3 DC-3s of this airline flew in formation from Oakland to Honolulu in 13 hours, 54 mins.; it's a bit less now
(Sam: What is Pan-Am?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sam: $9,000
Brad: $7,800
Amelia: $6,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY INSPIRATIONS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Sam: Wager $6,601 to cover Brad.
Brad: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Amelia, hoping that you give the correct response and Sam doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $4,601 to cover Amelia's doubled score, but no more than $5,400 if you want to top Sam on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $1,599 and win if both Sam and Amelia miss Final.
Amelia: You ought to try wagering between $1,601 and $3,000. This will top a $0 wager by Brad while still beating Sam and Brad on the Triple Stumper (should Sam wager to cover Brad's doubled score and Brad wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Seen here, the White City built for Chicago's 1893 Columbian Exposition is said to have inspired this author who then lived near it

FINAL SCORES
Amelia: $6,200 - $6,200 = $0 (Who is Carroll?) (3rd place)
Brad: $7,800 - $7,800 = $0 (Who is Carl Sandburg?) (2nd place)
Sam: $9,000 + $7,801 = $16,801 (Who is Baum?) (22002-day champion: $16,801)
(Alex: The White City was an inspiration for another famous city, though not a white one.)
(Alex: [To Sam] [*], who wrote about the Emerald City in The Wizard of Oz.

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Brad: $9,400, 14 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Sam: $9,000, 21 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
Amelia: $6,200, 8 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $24,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Sam: 22/60 = .367
Brad: 14/59 = .237
Amelia: 8/58 = .138
Team: 44/63 = .698

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
OUT OF TOWN GUESTS $800: Some have come from as far as Madrid, Belarus & this arid area seen here

CHEMISTRY $600: Used as refrigerants, chlorofluoro-carbons are also called these, a trademark
(Sam: What are CFCs?)

DOUBLE L $600: A metal capable of being shaped by hammering or pressure is said to be this
(Alex: That's right, with less than a minute to go.)

THE WEDDING RECEPTION $800: A common favor at wedding receptions, these candy-coated nuts in pastel colors
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

PRESIDENTIAL LOSERS $1600: He defeated Grover Cleveland in 1888 but lost the rematch 4 years later
(Sam: Who is Harrison?
(Alex: Which one?)

COME FLY WITH ME $400: Let's put a tail on this carrier

SPELL IT WITH STATE ABBREVIATIONS $800: On top of some barns, it points with the wind
(Sam: What is NE and WS?)

THE NEW YORK TIMES 2016 BESTSELLERS $400: In the title of a No. 1 bestseller by this author, Sebastian Rudd was a "Rogue Lawyer"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
South Africa
an enzyme
quell
John McCain
Rhode Island & North Dakota (RI & ND)
Alicia Vikander
Alf Landon
the Pan-American Highway
Daniel Ortega
Costa Rica
Hawaiian Airlines
L. Frank Baum
the Gobi
Freons
malleable
Jordan almonds
Benjamin Harrison
Air Canada
Virginia & Nebraska (VA & NE)
John Grisham
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY INSPIRATIONS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Seen here, the white city built for Chicago’s 1893 Columbian Exposition is said to have inspired this author who then lived near it

Sam Scovill: 9000+7801=16801 (2x = $38,802)
Amelia Reinwald: 6200-6200=0
Brad Snyder: 7800-7800=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
L. Frank Baum (Amelia – Carroll) (Brad – Carl Sandburg)

Daily Doubles
Sam: 3800+1000
Sam: 8600+1200
Brad: 9000-1600

Coryats
Sam: 9000
Amelia: 6200
Brad: 9400

Combined: 24,600
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Wasted a ton of time trying to think of book titles/settings with different combinations of 'city', 'white', 'light', 'shining' etc. and got nowhere. Then with 5 seconds to go I decided to WAG the first turn-of-the-century fictional setting that came to mind: Oz -> Baum, done. Why didn't I try that first...
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Fair to say neither Brad or Amelia gave any consideration to wagering theory before coming on.
I don't think Sam quite understands it either. He's developing a pattern of wagering $1 more than whatever 2nd place's score entering FJ is. And at some point, he is going to get schooled on DD betting by a formidable opponent.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ouch on (3+5) 8 clues unplayed. No big deal on the 3 in WEDDING RECEPTION, but my scoresheet and Coryat cry over the BESTSELLERS & STATE ABBREVIATIONS not being finished.

Sam played two Daily Doubles and bet box value on both. He got them right and led for the FJ! round. His competent night was completed with the sole get for the FJ! clue.

My night was going well with a Coryat well above the combined of 24,600 coupled with correct on the DDs and then I wasted it being unable to figure out Baum. The clue gave me two names to work with and I did not like the chances of either Carl Sandburg or Erik Larson being the guy.

White City to Emerald City to Baum was not going to happen. The path xxaaaxx took with thinking about turn of the century names worked out well in his favor. Nice one.

I can't buy a correct response in the FJ! round having missed 7 in a row and staring down the box of shame on Saturday unless I catch a break tomorrow. There are times I wonder how in the world I got on the show and actually managed to win a game.

Another thread has discussion about those over 50 and the buzzer. Brad did alright and would have had the lead for the FJ! round if he had solved his RI + ND Daily Double.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Another thread has discussion about those over 50 and the buzzer. Brad did alright and would have had the lead for the FJ! round if he had solved his RI + ND Daily Double.
In that thread, it was mentioned that speed of recall of information declines, too, and that may have been a factor on that DD -- along with the lights.

A blah game, which did nothing to mitigate the letdown I was feeling with Cindy no longer playing. (It also felt weird to no longer have a rooting interest in any of the players -- I wouldn't have minded any of tonight's 3 contestants winning this one. Congrats to Sam on becoming a 2Xer, though.)

FJ was a virtual instaget for me. First my mind jumped to Larson, who of course wrote the book about the White City, but then I noticed that the clue asked for an author who was alive in 1893. From there, given a colored city and an author writing around the turn of the 20th century, my mind leaped very quickly to Baum.

Was El Al as the Israeli airline just a little overvalued at $2K?

I know the Dryden "LL" clue was pinned, but I thought it was negbait -- I too went for "mollify" instead of "quell."

I also thought the Hawaiian Airlines clue was kind of neg-baity; Pan-Am was well-known for pioneering trans-oceanic routes with innovative (for the time) aircraft that involved many intermediate stops, so Oakland to Honolulu would have totally fit in with that.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

A tale of two rounds for me: 14k Coryat in J, almost a perfect round... then barely broke 20k total. I missed FJ too. Yuck.

The PTB need to lighten up in their gimmick categories: the neg yesterday for the "ing", then confusing everyone with the postal abbreviations one today.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

boson wrote:The PTB need to lighten up in their gimmick categories: the neg yesterday for the "ing", then confusing everyone with the postal abbreviations one today.
I'd take all the State abbreviation categories they could throw at me. That grapefruit clue was exceptionally tricky though. There were too many alternate choices for the 'covering' that a contestant has to weed out, if even having the extra time of a DD. I wanted to say "SKIN" at first, but Saskatchewan is obviously not a State. Hmmm, what else could it be? Times Up.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Surprised myself by running 1984.

Essaying means to try?!

WLT Ben Affleck or John Grisham at $400?

NHO Managua.

NHO Air Canada either. I don't get why they ask so much about airlines. You're just not gonna know any of that unless you fly all the time.

LTAM and they sound the beeps only one clue later? I call BS. This isn't a celeb game.

I just had nothing to go on in FJ! None of the words pointed anywhere, and I thought Baum was British.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Category 13 wrote:
boson wrote:The PTB need to lighten up in their gimmick categories: the neg yesterday for the "ing", then confusing everyone with the postal abbreviations one today.
I'd take all the State abbreviation categories they could throw at me. That grapefruit clue was exceptionally tricky though. There were too many alternate choices for the 'covering' that a contestant has to weed out, if even having the extra time of a DD. I wanted to say "SKIN" at first, but Saskatchewan is obviously not a State. Hmmm, what else could it be? Times Up.
I like the concept - the problem was it wasn't clear to the contestants what to answer - the abbreviations or the states.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

boson wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
I like the concept - the problem was it wasn't clear to the contestants what to answer - the abbreviations or the states.
Yeah, there was something about the way Alex responded to Amelia after she answered the first clue that seemed to add to the confusion. Didn't she have it right (say the states) at first, then added the abbreviations after a long pause from Alex? Maybe I'm not remembering it right.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

hbomb1947 wrote:I know the Dryden "LL" clue was pinned, but I thought it was negbait -- I too went for "mollify" instead of "quell."
I suppose that's a little negbaity, but not unfairly so. The quote was "What passions cannot music raise or _____." There's just no way a 17th century poet would've ended that with a dactyl like "mollify". It makes no sense metrically. We're looking for a one-syllable word to complete the line of iambic pentameter.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Essaying means to try?!
Yes, but with the accent on the second syllable. An EH-say is a thing you write. To eh-SAY is to make an attempt. And to say-EH is to oat yourself as Canadian.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

I think Sam just likes to keep the games interesting and make sure that his opponents are close to his own score. That's the only explanation for him repeatedly throwing away DDs like that.

FJ was tough. When I think of "famous writers in 1893 living in Chicago", I naturally think of Theodore Dreiser. I thought of the significance of a "white city", too, but the switch from that to "emerald city" didn't happen.

Nor did I realize that L Frank Baum lived in Chicago. That he was a vagabond that constantly moved all around the country from his birth to his death doesn't help matters.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Surprised myself by running 1984.

Essaying means to try?!
The answer was assaying.

Which, incidentally, was the only clue in the Chemistry category I considered difficult. Surprised Brad got it while he (and the other two contestants) missed the simple "enzyme".
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: WLT Ben Affleck or John Grisham at $400?
The Grisham book mentioned was Rouge Lawyer and Grisham is associated with writing books about lawyers. Yes, many people write lawyer books, but he is probably the best known right now. Affleck and Damon have made quite a number of movies together.
NHO Managua.
I have and got that one right.
NHO Air Canada either. I don't get why they ask so much about airlines. You're just not gonna know any of that unless you fly all the time.
Airlines advertise on TV a lot and are often in the news. So even if you don't fly often, you should be aware of major airlines. Also, the maple leaf on the tail was a pretty big hint to Air Canada even if you have never heard of it.

I agree it was a bleah game and not just because Cindy was gone. Weak DD bets and bad FJ bets. The states category (which was pretty simple) was poorly explained.

No chance for me on FJ. I kept trying to think of someone associated with Chicago and got no further than Sandburg, but he is usually called a poet, not an author.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

IronNeck wrote:The answer was assaying.
I know, but it said it was one letter off from a word meaning "to try", and I have NHO essay in any other context besides those things you write in school.
Bamaman wrote:Also, the maple leaf on the tail was a pretty big hint to Air Canada even if you have never heard of it.
Because all US airlines are called Air America, right? It could have just as easily been Canadian Air, Canadian Airlines, Canada Airlines, Maple Leaf Airlines, or Snerfurgleburgen (why not? Australia's is called Qantas...)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
IronNeck wrote:The answer was assaying.
I know, but it said it was one letter off from a word meaning "to try", and I have NHO essay in any other context besides those things you write in school.
Your Spanish won't help you there, but French for 'to try' is essayer.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:The Grisham book mentioned was Rouge Lawyer
The thrilling sequel to Mascara D.A.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:... those things you write in school.
I never wrote any of those in school. I tried, boy I tried...

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.