Cindy Stowell

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Cindy Stowell

Post by Johnblue »

ABC News just ran a story that featured Cindy's audition which included BigDaddyMatty. The tryout was in OZkC.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Johnblue wrote:ABC News just ran a story that featured Cindy's audition which included BigDaddyMatty.
Link to the video: Jeopardy Winner Cindy Stowell Dies Before Her Episodes Aired
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

trainman wrote:
Johnblue wrote:ABC News just ran a story that featured Cindy's audition which included BigDaddyMatty.
Nice video, but it makes me appreciate Alex Trebek's wording in his message after Cindy's last game. "Getting on Jeopardy was the fulfillment of a life-long ambition for Cindy."

I've noticed that the news programs, including the one above, instead use "life-long dream", which strikes me as vaguely insulting, reducing a person's life and desires to nothing more than making it on to a game show. I'm sure Cindy had many accomplishments during her life, and many dreams outside of an ambition to be a contestant on a really cool game show.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

trainman wrote:
The video used in that report are clips from the YouTube video posted elsewhere in this thread. And yes, I am the contestant wannabe visible next to Cindy's right shoulder. That's what I look like when I take off the mask and boxing gloves.
Sprinkles are for winners.
BobF

Post by BobF »

I would have liked to have seen a healthy Cindy take on Watson. Could have been pretty darn interesting.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

IronNeck wrote:
trainman wrote:
Nice video, but it makes me appreciate Alex Trebek's wording in his message after Cindy's last game. "Getting on Jeopardy was the fulfillment of a life-long ambition for Cindy."

I've noticed that the news programs, including the one above, instead use "life-long dream", which strikes me as vaguely insulting, reducing a person's life and desires to nothing more than making it on to a game show. I'm sure Cindy had many accomplishments during her life, and many dreams outside of an ambition to be a contestant on a really cool game show.
Didn't say it was her only dream. I think ambition makes it sound more important, but your mileage may vary.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Bamaman wrote:Someone posted a link on the J Facebook page to an article that said Maggie had a copy of her match(es) sent to her so she did get to see herself on the show before she died.
The tribute on the J! web page says: "When Cindy was in the hospital, Jeopardy! sent her advance copies of her first three episodes, so she and her family were able to watch her realize a lifelong dream of competing on the show."

Why only three episodes?
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Woppy T wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Someone posted a link on the J Facebook page to an article that said Maggie had a copy of her match(es) sent to her so she did get to see herself on the show before she died.
The tribute on the J! web page says: "When Cindy was in the hospital, Jeopardy! sent her advance copies of her first three episodes, so she and her family were able to watch her realize a lifelong dream of competing on the show."

Why only three episodes?
I'm assuming they simply hadn't completed post-production on the next four. There is a significant delay between when a game show is filmed and when it's actually edited down to its final form.
Lore
Valued Contributor

Post by Lore »

After reading the tax stuff in this thread I had a quick question (not about taxes)... When do contestants get the money they won? Shortly after taping, after it airs or somewhere in between?

Regarding the ToC, I was wondering would it be legal to have a previous contestant play on Cindy's behalf with any money won going to the charity she had chosen? I seem to recall they did that on Celebrity Jeopardy once.
Last edited by Lore on Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

Lore wrote:After reading the tax stuff in this thread I had a quick question (not about taxes)... When do contestants get the money they won? Shortly after taping, after it airs or somewhere in between?
Unless the procedure has changed, it's usually about 90 days after a contestant's final game airs. There are exceptions; Ken Jennings, I believe, was paid for his first 38 wins during the break between Seasons 20 and 21.

I saw in at least one news story where Jeopardy! expedited Cindy's payout.