TD 326 - Clowns :O) FINAL STANDINGS

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

TD 326 - Clowns :O) FINAL STANDINGS

Post by morbeedo »

TD 326 - Clowns :O)

Welcome to my first ever TD! This is one is all about clowns! No surprises here: give the answer you think will be the least common response. The player with the lowest total points at the end of the game wins. But first, the rules:

1. Submit your entry by end of day January 2nd via Google survey
2. Use your brain, not your smartphone. Duh.
3. DROP one question for zero points.
4. Jump in the CLOWN CAR for one question and take points for the most common answer in that round.
5. Wrong answers will land you in the CLOWN CAR (most common answer) + 3 points.
6. If a question includes a list of choices, then you must give the letter with your answer. Don't worry, I'll remind you, but forgetting a letter or putting the wrong letter will count as a wrong answer :O(
7. There are three bonus questions at the end worth -1, -2 and -3 points each, respectively. Good news! There is no penalty for guessing.
8. PM me with any questions or corrections.

Have fun!

1. Picture Round 1 - Name the Clown
Identify any one of the people shown here. I'm looking for the name of the performer - and the letter.

2. Shakespeare's Fools
Name the Shakespeare play given the fool, knave, clown (or funny guy) and the text. Don't forget the letter.

A. Lord, what fools these mortals be! (Puck)
B. The more pity, that fools may not speak wisely what wise men do foolishly (Touchstone)
C. Well, God give them wisdom that have it; and those that are fools, let them use their talents (Feste)
D. He's mad, that trusts in the tameness of a wolf, a horse's health, a boy's love, or a whore's oath (The Fool)
E. I have had a most rare vision. I have had a dream past the wit of man to say what dream it was. Man is but an ass if he go about t’expound this dream (Bottom)
F. A good sherris-sack hath a twofold operation in it. It ascends me into the brain, dries me there all the foolish and dull and crudy vapors which environ it, makes it apprehensive, quick, forgetive, full of nimble, fiery, and delectable shapes, which, delivered o'er to the voice, the tongue, which is the birth, becomes excellent wit. (Falstaff)
G. Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows. (Trinculo)
H. Give me leave. Here lies the water; good: here stands the man; good; if the man go to this water, and drown himself, it is, will he, nill he, he goes,--mark you that; but if the water come to him and drown him, he drowns not himself: argal, he that is not guilty of his own death shortens not his own life (Gravedigger)
I. To be ruled by my conscience I should stay with the Jew my master, who, God bless the mark, is a kind of devil. And to run away from the Jew I should be ruled by the fiend, who, saving your reverence, is the devil himself. (Launcelot Gobbo)

3. Picture Round 2 - At the Movies
Name the film corresponding to one of the stills shown here. I need the letter again.

4. Opera
Leoncavallo’s tragic opera, Pagliacci, tells the sad tale of a clown who kills his wife and her lover in a jealous rage. Vesti la giubba is the famous aria from that opera. Name the opera corresponding to one of the famous arias below. Uh, did you remember to include the letter with your answer?
A. Largo al factotum
B. Casta diva
C. La donna è mobile
D. Mio Babbino Caro
E. Nessun Dorma
F. Un bel dì
G. Les oiseaux dans la charmille (The Doll’s Song)
H. My Man’s Gone Now
I. I am the Wife of Mao Zedong

5. Picture Round 3 - Artists
Name the artist who created any one of the works shown here. Yes, I need the letter.

6. Martin Scorsese
“I’m funny how, I mean funny like I’m a clown, I amuse you?”

Name a feature length narrative film (i.e., non-documentary) directed by Martin Scorsese with a 2-word title (7 possible answers, excluding titles with “The”, like The Aviator).

7. The Nobel Prize for Literature
Bob Dylan was awarded this year’s Nobel Prize for Literature, the first such honor for an American since 1993. Dylan skipped the ceremony, but Patti Smith showed up and sang A Hard Rain’s Gonna Fall, which includes the line: Heard the sound of a clown who cried in the alley

Besides Dylan, name any Nobel Prize for Literature winner representing the United States (12 possible answers, including 4 writers born outside the US).

8. World Capitals
Name a world capital city whose name contains at least 3 of the letters from the word CLOWN (many possible answers, I stopped counting after 8.) Looking for the capital of a country here, not a territory, province, state, etc.

9. Coulrophobia
Believe it or not, fear of clowns is a thing, and there’s even a word for it. But WHY are people so afraid of clowns? I don’t really get it, but Stephen King is partly to blame for unleashing Pennywise the Clown into the collective imagination. An It remake is in the works for 2017, with Bill Skarsgård (yes, another Skarsgård!) putting on the greasepaint, ruffles and fangs.

Name any film based on a Stephen King novel that was released in the year 2000 or earlier. (14 possible answers, excluding sequels, original screenplays and films based on short stories.)

10. The Emmys
In the ABC sitcom Modern Family, Eric Stonestreet plays clown-loving Cam Tucker. Cam’s clown persona, Fizbo the Clown, is based on a character Stonestreet created when he was 9 years old.

Modern Family won the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Comedy Series every year from 2010 to 2014. Name any other series nominated for the same award in any of those years (12 possible answers).

11. Before and After
The last question has nothing to do with clowns, but I think these are always fun. Each answer will be composed of two parts that are linked by a word or part of a word. Example: LeBron (James) Monroe, Santa (Claus) trophobia. Provide the full answer for one of the following.

A. Trump resort + Nigeria megacity
B. 1935 German propaganda film + NY Times puzzle master
C. Jane Austen novel + impeached South Korean president
D. Idiom warning against pursuing a single course of action + unflattering characterization by prez. nominee Hillary Clinton
E. HBO’s Rome actress + name on a cake mix box
F. Buster Keaton feature + modern psychological condition
G. South Pacific song + garment associated with repentance
H. Losing my Religion band + Grafton best seller
I. Wild Bill’s gal + Perry Farrell’s band
J. Lady Windermere’s Fan playwright + David Lynch film

Bonus #1
Will Sommers was the best-known court jester of which English monarch?

Bonus #2
Which stage musical (later adapted to film) introduced the song, “Put on a Happy Face?"

Bonus #3 Just for Fun
Identify the stock character of pantomime and Commedia dell'Arte shown here
Last edited by morbeedo on Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:27 am, edited 19 times in total.
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: TD 326 - CLOWNS

Post by BobF »

I'm afraid to enter this one. :-)
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

BobF wrote:I'm afraid to enter this one. :-)
I'll be a sad clown if no one enters the fun house!
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

You might want to make it very clear in all appropriate places that each picture's letter is below the picture.
morbeedo wrote: 9. Coulrophobia
Believe it or not, fear of clowns is a thing, and there’s even a word for it. But WHY are people so afraid of clowns?
It's not that uncommon. For me, and I would guess for most, it started as a young child. Rockways Playland had posters up at NYC subway/el stations featuring this clown, which scared the bejeezus out of me.

I did get over it at some point, and I don't recall having a problem with live clowns at the circus.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My wife is afraid of clowns. (I know, why marry me if she is anti-clown?). I had never heard of this before but it is quite real.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If we're playing threadjack with clown stories I'll play. My dad liked the circus and in San Francisco back in the day there were many different circuses that would play in town with free or discounted tickets available in various ways. My dad would load up the car and my mom would stay at home and enjoy some quiet time. So, I saw lots of clowns from a young age and only found them funny and entertaining.

As a kid I had one of those Bozo blow up things with sand in the base that were for punching the clown on the nose and he would pop back up for more beatings. I also got to attend a kids clown class when Ringling Bros. were in town and a department store had the workshop that included lessons, a certificate and a make-up kit to take home.

The picture has my brother on the left and I'm on the right about age 9ish/4th grade is my guess.

I read and saw It in my 20s, so no problem there. If I had been younger and had seen Twisty from AHS Freak Show as my first exposure to clowns then I might be singing a different tune. The only clown fear memory I can think of is the doll from the 1982 Poltergeist. He's scary and even though I was 18 I recognized that movie never should have been only rated PG.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

RandyG wrote:You might want to make it very clear in all appropriate places that each picture's letter is below the picture.
Noted - and I won't penalize anyone who got confused and picked the wrong letter.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote:
RandyG wrote:You might want to make it very clear in all appropriate places that each picture's letter is below the picture.
Noted - and I won't penalize anyone who got confused and picked the wrong letter.
I still don't understand why hosts -- and this isn't just directed at you -- are requiring letters to be listed along with an answer. Sure, your game, your rules, but what's gained by requiring it?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

econgator wrote:
morbeedo wrote:
I still don't understand why hosts -- and this isn't just directed at you -- are requiring letters to be listed along with an answer. Sure, your game, your rules, but what's gained by requiring it?
Yeah, I thought about this. For some questions, I guess it doesn't matter, but for others in my quiz, like Shakespeare, Opera or even Artists, someone might give a correct answer just by guessing. This is my first time hosting TD, so I'm open to everyone's feedback.
totebags
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by totebags »

econgator wrote:
morbeedo wrote:
I think requiring letters should be used judiciously, and it's really quite important where there is a limited set of possible answers in a choose-your-own-adventure question....though I probably went overboard on my last TD. On my Ireland TD, I required it once or twice (I didn't want folks to name random Irish writers, cross their fingers in hopes that one was correct), but probably didn't need it for the picture round in my The Crown TD (if you can recognize Clementine Churchill, good on ya).
Armandillo

Post by Armandillo »

From a host's standpoint:

Requiring letters does help with avoiding random guesses, but making random guesses is totally fair game (that's often how my pub trivia team wins)!

Also, having letters included makes scoring with Vermonter's TD Tracker MUCH harder.

TD looks awesome. If you want any advice from a (terrible) TD host, feel free to PM me!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Note: I clarified the wording of Bonus #3. If you've already submitted your form, you can change your answer by PM.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Armandillo wrote:From a host's standpoint:

Requiring letters does help with avoiding random guesses, but making random guesses is totally fair game (that's often how my pub trivia team wins)!

Also, having letters included makes scoring with Vermonter's TD Tracker MUCH harder.

TD looks awesome. If you want any advice from a (terriblefic) TD host, feel free to PM me!
FTFY
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

From what I understand, Clowns accentuate abnormal features (big feet, flared eyes etc.), which messes with our ability to distinguish them as threats or funny murderers.
The default is usually fear given what is perceived.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

There have been several objections to the wording of Bonus #3, so this question will not be scored. This is a photograph by Nadar of a well-known stock character from pantomime / commedia dell arte / comédie italienne. Other examples of this character can be seen in the Artists Picture Round.

So have a guess and we can discuss this topic more after the reveal.

Au clair de la lune...
totebags
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by totebags »

morbeedo wrote:There have been several objections to the wording of Bonus #3, so this question will not be scored. This is a photograph by Nadar of a well-known stock character from pantomime / commedia dell arte / comédie italienne. Other examples of this character can be seen in the Artists Picture Round.

Au clair de la lune...
Dang it. I actually knew this one, thanks to some dolls I had as a girl. In fact, I think I have a magnet with this type of clown on my fridge... do I have thing for clowns!?!?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

totebags wrote:
morbeedo wrote:There have been several objections to the wording of Bonus #3, so this question will not be scored. This is a photograph by Nadar of a well-known stock character from pantomime / commedia dell arte / comédie italienne. Other examples of this character can be seen in the Artists Picture Round.

Au clair de la lune...
Dang it. I actually knew this one, thanks to some dolls I had as a girl. In fact, I think I have a magnet with this type of clown on my fridge... do I have thing for clowns!?!?
Ugh, so sorry!

Clowns are not scary! It's ok to like them :O)
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

totebags wrote:I think requiring letters should be used judiciously, and it's really quite important where there is a limited set of possible answers in a choose-your-own-adventure question....
An example would be the type of question that asks people to match the character in some famous work with something they said or did (e.g., "Here are some quotes from Hamlet. Pick one and identify the character who said it.")
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: TD 326 - CLOWNS, Accepting entries thru Jan 2

Post by morbeedo »

21 entries so far, still time to play! Enter by Jan 2

MarkBarrett
immaf
Gamawire
artshep
Tybalteon
lindap
Rackme32
pauerpoint
Magna
totebags
rpg
ElendilPickle
bev nar
macrae1234
quarterrican
GuessonGuessonGuess
oduguy22
sillymonkey
ihavejeoprosy
Vintsanity
theamazingchong
1stlvlthinker

Re: TD 326 - CLOWNS, Accepting entries thru Jan 2

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

I think I'm in before the deadline, but I might be setting a record for highest score in this game.
Now swimming in the J! pool.