Wednesday, December 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7433, 2016-12-28

CONTESTANTS
Justin Scace, a writer and editor from East Lyme, Connecticut
Mike Lamar, an OB/GYN from Wichita Falls, Texas
Stephanie Schlatter, a stay-at-home parent from Toledo, Ohio (whose 2-day cash winnings total $18,802)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Hi, folks. Boy, am I turning out to be a big jinx or what? I started the week saying I hope that we'd end this calendar year with some big wins. Well, two days ago, Stephanie won $13,000. Yesterday, $5,000. Mike and Justin and Stephanie, I hope you have a great game. Here we go. We'll get it started in the Jeopardy! Round with one Daily Double awaiting you in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ON SIRIUSXM RADIO (4/5)
KNOWLEDGE ABOUT COLLEGE (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
IT'S AN EMERGENCY! (4/5)
THEY SAID IT WITH FLOWERS (5/5)
HISTORIC HOMES (5/5)
BLENDED WORDS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Stephanie: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Mike: 8 R, 1 W
Justin: 8 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Justin found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. Stephanie had no money, Mike had $2,600, and Justin was at $2,000. Justin made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,000.

KNOWLEDGE ABOUT COLLEGE $600: It's the only Pac-12 school that does not contain the name of a state
(Justin: What is Auburn?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Mike: $2,600
Stephanie: $800
Justin: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Both of our challengers on the program today have spent time helping other people. Justin Scace, you worked at a therapeutic riding center for a while. Tell me about that experience.

Justin: Yeah, that's right. I worked for a horse therapeutic riding center, and I worked in the carriage driving program, and I worked with a little miniature horse whose name was Big Al, and he had a really big personality.

Alex: Uh-huh, and most of the people you were looking after were in what age group? Were they youngsters or older folks?

Justin: Youngsters all the way through older folks.

Alex: Really?

Justin: Yep.

Alex: Okay, well, good for you doing that.

Alex: Mike Lamar is an OB/GYN. He's a doctor, and, uh, your wife likes to remind you of something, and what is that?

Mike: We met in college, and in the class we were in, she likes to remind me that I had asked two other young ladies out before I met her, although I remind her I hadn't seen her in class before I asked them out. But fortunately, third time's a charm.

Alex: Yes, but did the other two turn you down?

Mike: Yes.

Alex: Oh.

Mike: You didn't have to mention that part, though.

[Laughter]

Alex: Oh.

Alex: Stephanie Schlatter is a stay-at-home parent who has always been a big fan of contests. What kind of contests are we talking about prior to you trying out for Jeopardy!?

Stephanie: Right, prior to the ultimate contest. Pretty much anything, any kind of random drawing, any kind of lottery. I liked collecting basketball cards because it was, like, something you could possibly get a million-dollar card in your pack. Never happened.

Alex: It never happened.

Stephanie: No.

Alex: Darn. Okay, well, stop collecting basketball cards.

Stephanie: I've stopped now.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
IT'S AN EMERGENCY! $1000: A phenomenon called odor fade can make this dangerous home event harder to detect
(Stephanie: What is carbon monoxide?)

KNOWLEDGE ABOUT COLLEGE $1000: Named for a Supreme Court justice, it boasts Pulitzer winners Margo Jefferson & Thomas Friedman as alums

ON SIRIUSXM RADIO $800: Hats off to this country star who "ain't going down 'til the sun comes up" now that he got his own channel in 2016

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Stephanie: $4,800
Mike: $3,600
Justin: $2,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, December 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
U.S. HISTORY (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TITLE CHARACTERS (3/5)
ITALIAN GEOGRAPHY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ANTE "BELL" UM (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response will have those four letters--B-E-L-L, and will come before "bellum" in the dictionary.)
BILLY IDOL (5/5)
MANET/MONET (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mike: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Stephanie: 7 R, 1 W
Justin: 6 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Justin snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Stephanie had $5,600, Mike had $3,600, and Justin was at $5,600. Justin wagered $2,000.

U.S. HISTORY $1200: Under the 1832 Treaty of Payne's Landing, chiefs in this tribe agreed to removal from Florida to points west

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Mike who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Stephanie had $9,200, Mike had $13,200, and Justin was at $7,200. Mike wagered $2,000.

ITALIAN GEOGRAPHY $1600: The name of this region in northwest Italy known for its prize-winning wines means "foot of the mountain"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TITLE CHARACTERS $1200: The 2 female-named sitcoms that spun off from "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

TITLE CHARACTERS $2000: Jeannie was a genie & we guess this Larry Hagman character was the one who dreamed of her

U.S. HISTORY $1600: In 1911 the U.S. signed an agreement with Russia, Japan & the U.K. to protect the seal herds in this sea

U.S. HISTORY $2000: In 1944 world powers met beneath the trees of this Georgetown mansion to lay the U.N.'s foundation

ANTE "BELL" UM $1600: Hyphenated French term for study of fine literature

MANET/MONET $400: Manet's "Battle of the U.S.S. Kearsarge and the C.S.S. Alabama" shows the battle off France's coast during this U.S. war

ITALIAN GEOGRAPHY $2000: Italy's chief seaport, it lies on the northern end of the Ligurian Sea
(Stephanie: What is Naples?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Mike: $17,200
Stephanie: $10,000
Justin: $7,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FICTIONAL PLACES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
First equals second plus third.
Mike: Wager $2,800. Risk any less and Stephanie may overtake you if you both get it right; risk any more and Justin may overtake you if you get it wrong.
Stephanie: Wager all $10,000. If Mike bets correctly, then you'll tie for the win if you both get the correct response.
Justin: Wager all $7,200, and you have a hope of snatching up a tie for first with Mike if you're the only one to provide the correct response.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This land is described as "all that lies between the lamp-post and the great castle of Cair Paravel on the Eastern Sea"

FINAL SCORES
Justin: $7,200 + $7,200 = $14,400 (What is Narnia?) (New champion: $14,400)
Stephanie: $10,000 - $9,998 = $2 (What is Nod?) (3rd place)
Mike: $17,200 - $3,000 = $14,200 (What is Neverland) (2nd place)
(Alex: It's from a famous work by C.S. Lewis.)
(Alex: [To Justin] From The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Mike: $16,800, 18 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Stephanie: $10,000, 17 R, 2 W
Justin: $8,400, 14 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $35,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Mike: 18/59 = .305
Stephanie: 17/58 = .293
Justin: 15/60 = .250
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
IT'S AN EMERGENCY! $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents.) In a medical emergency, you need to act fast, & if someone exhibits face drooping, arm weakness, & speech difficulty, it's time to call 9-1-1, because these are the warning signs and symptoms of this
(Alex: Doctor gets it, good.)

KNOWLEDGE ABOUT COLLEGE $800: Fittingly, there's a large Greek system in this Georgia city

HISTORIC HOMES $600: This writer's home in Hartford, Connecticut, where he lived beginning in 1874, is often called Steamboat Gothic

HISTORIC HOMES $800: The Hermitage, his Tennessee estate, has a cafe called the Kitchen Cabinet; its ham sandwich is named for Roger Taney
(Mike: Who is Faulkner?)

MANET/MONET $800: In 1875, Edouard Manet created the illustration for a French translation of this American poem

ITALIAN GEOGRAPHY $800: The northernmost point is in South Tyrol on the border with this country
(Justin: What is Switzerland?)

MANET/MONET $1600: It's Monet's 2-word title subject in a work seen here & on view at New York City's Metropolitan Museum of Art

CORRECT RESPONSES
Stanford University
a natural gas leak
Brandeis University
Garth Brooks
Seminole
the Piedmont
Rhoda and Phyllis
Captain Tony Nelson
the Bering Sea
Dumbarton Oaks
belles-lettres
the Civil War
Genoa
Narnia
a stroke
Athens
Mark Twain
Andrew Jackson
"The Raven"
Austria
Water Lilies
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FICTIONAL PLACES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This land is described as "all that lies between the lamp-post and the great castle of Cair Paravel on the eastern sea"

Stephanie Schlatter: 10000-9998=2
Mike Lamar: 17200-3000=14200
Justin Scace: 7200+7200=14400 (new champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Narnia (Stephanie – Nod) (Mike – Neverland)

Daily Doubles
Justin: 2000-2000
Justin: 5600+2000
Mike: 13200+2000

Coryats
Stephanie: 10000
Mike: 16800
Justin: 8400

Combined: 35,200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Allow me to hand in my couch potato membership card as I blurted Major Healy on the Jeannie clue that wanted Captain Tony Nelson. Yes, Major Nelson would have been fine as well. Ugh!

Auburn for the Pac-12 school without the state name? Well, I guess it met half of the requirement and since it's a Daily Double the player should say something. Justin made up for the miss by the end of the game gaining the privilege to play again.

Lilliput was the only name I wrote for the FJ! clue as I liked it better than Atlantis. My reading/viewing of C.S. Lewis works is slightly above 0%, so even with multiple guess it's very possible I don't get the solve.

Sometimes the case is made the 3rd place should not bet it all. Great move by Justin to go with the farm in this game's wagering scenario and we'll get a better sense tomorrow if it was skill or luck that made him do it.

Mike left his fate up to the FJ! clue when with 20/20 hindsight it can be seen that he could have taken care of such things with more on his lone DD play.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Neverland here as my only clue was that it probably wasn't Oz.

I got Stanford and Tony Nelson. He was a captain the first season and then a major so either rank would work.

Justin made the right bet in FJ as his doubled score was just one dollar above the doctor's MSBIW. I was hoping he'd offer a tie to guard against that but I guess we'll have to wait longer for the new rule to come into play.
Last edited by Bamaman on Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Justin's bet was a good contrast to Colin's (almost) all-in wager yesterday; different facts warrant different wagers.

I'm surprised that this FJ wasn't a triple get. Narnia seems to show up a lot, and the clue could have been fairly obscure, but when they threw in "lamp-post," they turned it into a Kids' Week clue (and by that, I just mean that kids would be a lot closer in time to reading the books).
Lore
Valued Contributor

Post by Lore »

Anyone watching today's game on KARE11 from Minneapolis BEWARE!! They screwed up AGAIN so there is a BIG spoiler. There was a minor glitch when the categories for Double Jeopardy were being revealed so 2 weren't shown BUT the huge mistake they made was they showed Thursday's Final Jeopardy instead of today's so if you don't want to know who won tomorrow's game stop watching after the Final Jeopardy category is revealed.

The last screw up they had was showing a black screen with the station logo in the bottom corner instead of Final Jeopardy.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Surprisingly, I ran the Emergency category. And SiriusXM.

Can't say that I've heard of Johns Hopkins.

Bulls bellow?

WLT Civil War, Billy Joel, or Sicily at $400?

No guess on FJ! I know that there is something called Narnia, but no idea what it actually is.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Civil War
C(onferderate)S(tates)S(hip) - we were just talking about it yesterday.

Guessed Lilliput for FJ. Despite having seen the movies, the names meant nothing to me.
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

Also had the DJ category glitch down here in Dothan, but had the Final for today's show; not sure if the Panama City station experienced same thing.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Sicily is the big island that is being kicked by the boot. There are other Italian islands but it is the best known.

Name another famous singer named Billy. Are there any who has had a bigger career than Joel?

In the top box, going for the obvious is usually the best strategy.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:In the top box, going for the obvious is usually the best strategy.
Except for the 48,739 times that it's not.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Surprisingly, I ran the Emergency category. And SiriusXM.

Can't say that I've heard of Johns Hopkins.

Bulls bellow?

WLT Civil War, Billy Joel, or Sicily at $400?

No guess on FJ! I know that there is something called Narnia, but no idea what it actually is.
Yes, it's not like Narnia hasn't shown up dozens of times on Jeopardy - including a whole category just last month.

I really didn't think that you would be here professing not to know of naval battles in the Civil War having just made the same comment just 24 hours ago. In your defense, however, I can't believe that three seemingly bright contestants - who were presumably sitting in the audience yesterday - couldn't even muster a $400 guess. I'm assuming it was the fact that the battle happened off the French coast threw them for a loop (a little known fact but when given CSS Alabama, the options are pretty limited).
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

I'm pretty gobsmacked that this FJ was not an instaget for all three players - but how interesting that all their answers, both correct and incorrect, began with an N.

Call me unforgiving and rigid, but I think Mike should have been IMMEDIATELY negged both times he didn't answer in the form of a question in DJ! , especially the second time. Given that he wasn't, I can't be sorry that he ultimately lost the game. Alex is so quick to jump in and neg people sometimes, and other times is ridiculously generous.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Elijah Baley wrote: In your defense, however, I can't believe that three seemingly bright contestants - who were presumably sitting in the audience yesterday - couldn't even muster a $400 guess. I'm assuming it was the fact that the battle happened off the French coast threw them for a loop (a little known fact but when given CSS Alabama, the options are pretty limited).
Have you considered that the same contestants, who had seen yesterday's episode, might very well have thought "but THE CIVIL WAR came up yesterday, how could it come up again today" and that doubt was enough to get them to STAY CLAM.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

LT: Brandeis, daffodils, Bering Sea, Civil War.

Stephanie must be SHH that she won Tuesday's game with Civil War sub "Hunley," but didn't know the war involving the CSS Alabama. D'oh! Alex looked mildly amused.

FJ: Guessed "Wessex" (Hardy's fictional South England) because I'm completely ignorant of C.S. Lewis's work. Know the name and that's about it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think France being in the clue confused them somewhat. I got it but I can see people having a brain freeze.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote: In your defense, however, I can't believe that three seemingly bright contestants - who were presumably sitting in the audience yesterday - couldn't even muster a $400 guess. I'm assuming it was the fact that the battle happened off the French coast threw them for a loop (a little known fact but when given CSS Alabama, the options are pretty limited).
Have you considered that the same contestants, who had seen yesterday's episode, might very well have thought "but THE CIVIL WAR came up yesterday, how could it come up again today" and that doubt was enough to get them to STAY CLAM.
Yes, and of course, Stephanie wasn't in the audience - she was right there on stage!

But they've had similar clues in the same show, so why not on consecutive days? And, it was only $400 so it's not like there was much at stake.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $34,400
49 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: gas leak, Stanford University (DD), Brandeis University, Garth Brooks, Major Nelson, Civil War

This game was a casualty of the "no ties" rule, and that's a shame. It would've been nice to see Justin and Dr. Mike face off for a second game. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was one of my favorite books when I was a kid. I haven't read it in 25+ years, but luckily the lamp-post bit triggered something in my memory banks.

I never knew that Meriwether Lewis was Jefferson's personal secretary. Also, I knew Rhoda cold but couldn't have pulled Phyllis if you gave me the full half-hour.

"University named for a SCOTUS justice" = Brandeis is a Pavlov that every potential contestant should memorize.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Bamaman wrote:Justin made the right bet in FJ as his doubled score was just one dollar above the doctor's MSBIW. I was hoping he'd offer a tie to guard against that but I guess we'll have to wait longer for the new rule to come into play.
It would have offered a chance for a tie-breaker with both Justin or Stephanie, had he wagered $2800. If Mike had seen Steph's previous games, he might have had a hint that she was not willing to leave herself with ZERO at the end of FJ and made the choice for the low side 14,400 tie.
But upon seeing his wager, it becomes apparent that Mike wasn't about to let the tie-breaker happen.
niw44 wrote:Call me unforgiving and rigid, but I think Mike should have been IMMEDIATELY negged both times he didn't answer in the form of a question in DJ! , especially the second time. Given that he wasn't, I can't be sorry that he ultimately lost the game.
I was thinking almost the same thing; that there should be a '3-strike' rule for each contestant forgetting phrasing. If two or three omissions occur in the first round, then no-mister-nice-guy takes effect at the start of the DJ round.