Monday, January 2, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, January 2, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7436, 2017-01-02

CONTESTANTS
Katie Carter, an attorney from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Gavin Mulligan, a software engineer from Parker, Colorado
Mukund Marathe, a music teacher and singer from Montclair, New Jersey (whose 2-day cash winnings total $31,799)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Happy holidays, everybody. Yeah, Mukund, winning all that money is an eye-opener. I saw you there a few moments ago. Gavin and Katie, welcome aboard. Good to have you with us. Let's go to work now, shall we? And I hope you like these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GEOGRAPHIC FOOD & DRINK (3/5)
A PEEK AT THE PARANORMAL (5/5)
NFL QUARTERBACKS (4/4)
SOCIAL STUDIES (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HISTORIC AMERICAN QUOTES (2/2)
THIS IS "WAR"! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Katie: 9 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Gavin: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Mukund: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Gavin: $4,000
Mukund: $2,800
Katie: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Katie Carter is an attorney from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. And this lady has a very, very bright cat. Your cat can do something that no other cat in the world can do.

Katie: She recently learned to call the police. We have motion detectors in our house, and they're placed just low enough over the mantel that she can get up there and kind of... we think she's signaling that the food bowl's empty, but we can't be sure.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Gavin Mulligan, a software engineer from Colorado who has climbed the largest sand dunes in North America. I don't even know where the largest sand dunes are. Am I correct in assuming California?

Gavin: Uh, no, it's actually in Alamosa, Colorado.

Alex: Oh!

Gavin: Yeah, so a year ago I climbed up there with my girlfriend Rachel. And we got all the way up, it took a couple hours going up, but then you get to run back down. And it takes maybe 10 minutes to run down what it took you three hours to climb.

Alex: And you didn't fall going down?

Gavin: I'm not gonna tell you I did.

[Laughter]

Alex: Yeah. Because if you fall, you get to roll a lot, right?

Gavin: That's right.

Alex: Yeah, okay. But slogging up there, every step you take, you sink how deep?

Gavin: Two steps up, one step down.

Alex: Okay, good. Good to know. I'm not gonna try it.

Alex: Mukund Marathe from Montclair, New Jersey. The family that plays together stays together. And you and your family play an interesting game.

Mukund: We play a game of surrealistic riddles. It started when my son would tell jokes and he didn't really understand. And we just kind of ran with that.

Alex: Mm-hmm.

Mukund: So our favorite is, "If a chicken and a half takes a day and a half to lay an egg and a half, how long does it take a centipede with a wooden leg to pick all the seeds out of a dill pickle?" And the answer is orange, because ice cream has no bones.

[Laughter]

Alex: How long have you managed to keep this wife? Because I'm surprised.

Mukund: We've been married--Mary and I have been married for 36 years.

Alex: You're a lucky guy.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Katie found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Mukund had $2,800, Gavin had $4,000, and Katie was at $2,800. Katie wagered $2,000.

SOCIAL STUDIES $600: Bernie Sanders spent much of 2016 urging change to this 2-word Latin term for the existing state of affairs

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SOCIAL STUDIES $800: This social science focuses on the characteristics of human populations such as size, growth & distribution

SOCIAL STUDIES $1000: Max Weber, a founder of modern sociology, wrote of this religious "Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism"
(Katie: What is the Protestant work ethic?)
(Alex: We have less than a minute now.)

GEOGRAPHIC FOOD & DRINK $800: It's the favorite county of some of our writers

GEOGRAPHIC FOOD & DRINK $1000: A pungent pepper bears the name of this port
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Katie: $4,600
Mukund: $3,800
Gavin: $3,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, January 2, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
COMPANY "B" (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
FLAGS OF THE AMERICAS (3/4)
TOM & GERUND (4/5)
A GENRE CATEGORY (5/5)
COMPLETE THE BOOK TITLE (3/5)
STAR TALK WITH NEIL deGRASSE TYSON (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Gavin: 13 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Mukund: 7 R, 4 W (including 2 DDs)
Katie: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mukund snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Mukund had $5,400, Gavin had $4,400, and Katie was at $4,600. Mukund wagered $1,000.

STAR TALK WITH NEIL deGRASSE TYSON $1600: (Neil deGrasse Tyson demonstrates by bending a piece of paper.) Involving the folding or warping of both space & time, future space travel could be aided by theoretical shortcuts called Einstein-Rosen bridges, AKA these
(Mukund: What are tesseracts?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Mukund who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 8th clue. Mukund had $5,200, Gavin had $6,800, and Katie was at $4,600. Mukund wagered $1,000.

COMPANY "B" $1200: Blue Shirt Nation was a social network for this retailer's employees
(Mukund: What is Levi's?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TOM & GERUND $1600: In history class, Tom learned that a 1965 "Rights Act" outlawed discrimination in this process
(Mukund: What is hiring?)
(Katie: What is housing?)

COMPLETE THE BOOK TITLE $1200: A 2012 bestseller:
"The Light Between ____"

COMPLETE THE BOOK TITLE $1600: Jane Smiley redoes "King Lear" in Iowa:
"A Thousand ____"

FLAGS OF THE AMERICAS $1600: The stripes on the flags of Venezuela & Ecuador resembled those of this neighbor of which they were once a part
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Gavin: $16,800 (lock game)
Mukund: $7,800
Katie: $6,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Gavin: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $1,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Mukund: Wager $4,601 to cover Katie.
Katie: Risk between $1,601 and $3,000, covering Mukund's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Between 1920 & 1939 its presidents included Leon Bourgeois, Tevfik Aras & Carlos Saavedra Lamas

FINAL SCORES
Katie: $6,200 - $6,199 = $1 (What is the United Nations) (3rd place)
Mukund: $7,800 + $3,000 = $10,800 (What is the League of Nations?) (2nd place)
Gavin: $16,800 - $1,000 = $15,800 (What is the United Nations?) (New champion: $15,800)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Gavin: $16,800, 21 R, 1 W
Mukund: $9,800, 12 R, 5 W (including 2 DDs)
Katie: $4,800, 12 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $31,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Gavin: 21/58 = .362
Mukund: 13/60 = .217
Katie: 12/59 = .203
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
NFL QUARTERBACKS $400: (Mike & Mike from ESPN present the clue.) "The greatest Super Bowl had to be the 1969 game when Joe Namath led the Jets over the heavily favored Colts..." "That's not bad, but not up to the game when this guy marched the 49ers down the field in 1989 in a game-winning drive"

A PEEK AT THE PARANORMAL $200: These events, hearing from the beyond, were popular in Victorian days, when the one seen here took place

GEOGRAPHIC FOOD & DRINK $200: You might find bubbly people in this region

GEOGRAPHIC FOOD & DRINK $400: Maybe you've been to this city
(Mukund: What is Colo--um...)

HISTORIC AMERICAN QUOTES $1000: After he splashed down in the Atlantic on May 5, 1961, he said, "Boy, what a ride!"--& he hadn't even orbited
(Gavin: Who is John Glenn?)

GEOGRAPHIC FOOD & DRINK $600: We have some meaty matters to discuss here

STAR TALK WITH NEIL deGRASSE TYSON $400: (Neil deGrasse Tyson shows an astronomical animation on the monitor.) Our GPS satellites experience less gravity than we do here on Earth's surface so their clocks tick a bit faster... but engineers pre-correct the GPS time for Einstein's general theory of this

STAR TALK WITH NEIL deGRASSE TYSON $800: (Neil deGrasse Tyson shows an astronomical animation on the monitor.) This planet is in the sun's habitable zone, but thick clouds of carbon dioxide trap solar radiation making it the hottest in our solar system

STAR TALK WITH NEIL deGRASSE TYSON $1200: (Neil deGrasse Tyson shows some astronomical imagery on the monitor.) More than 90% of the atoms in the cosmos are of this element &, as part of Jupiter's core, it behaves like a metal, giving the planet its immense magnetic field

STAR TALK WITH NEIL deGRASSE TYSON $2000: (Neil deGrasse Tyson shows an astronomical animation on the monitor.) I once co-signed an open letter to congress about the danger of NEOs, short for these, & their potential for harming life on Earth
(Alex: And I wanna thank Neil deGrasse Tyson for helping us out with that category. If you would like to watch his series, Star Talk, it airs on Mondays on the National Geographic Channel.)

A GENRE CATEGORY $1200: Some people describe a sentimental film as a "three-" this accessory picture
(Mukund: What is a three-piece suit?)

COMPLETE THE BOOK TITLE $2000: About microbes & quoting Whitman:
"I Contain ____"
(Alex: And we have less than a minute now.)

FLAGS OF THE AMERICAS $400: On Chile's flag, the red is for the blood of the patriots, the blue is sky & the white is the snow of these mountains

CORRECT RESPONSES
the status quo
demography
the Protestant ethic
Bourbon County
Cayenne
wormholes
Best Buy
voting
Oceans
Acres
Colombia
the League of Nations
Joe Montana
séances
Champagne
Lima
Alan Shepard
Bologna
relativity
Venus
hydrogen
near Earth objects
a tissue (or handkerchief)
Multitudes
the Andes
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Between 1920 & 1939 its presidents included Leon Bourgeois, Tevfik Aras & Carlos Saavedra Lamas

Mukund Marathe: 7800+3000=10800
Gavin Mulligan: 16800-1000=15800 (New champ)
Katie Carter: 6200-6199=1

Correct response:
Spoiler
League of Nations (Gavin – United Nations) (Katie – United Nations)

Daily Doubles
Katie: 2800+2000
Mukund: 5400-1000
Mukund: 5200-1000

Coryats
Mukund: 9800
Gavin: 16800
Katie: 4800

Combined: 31,400
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got FJ right away and was surprised two went with the U.N.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:I got FJ right away and was surprised two went with the U.N.
I thought of the UN, knew it was wrong, and failed to follow the bread crumbs from there. If I'd thought of League of Nations, I'd definitely have gone with it. Instead I went with FIFA because a silly long shot is better than no shot.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Anybody else think the neg on protestant work ethic was unfair? Here's the clue:
  • MAX WEBER, A FOUNDER OF MODERN SOCIOLOGY,
    WROTE OF THIS RELIGIOUS "ETHIC AND THE
    SPIRIT OF CAPITALISM
Ok, I concede that they appear to be looking for an exact title. Is that 100% required by J! rules though? I mean, there's no question that Weber wrote about the protestant work ethic in that book. (Also the Calvinist work ethic and maybe the puritan work ethic, which is why I clammed.) At the very least, the clue is unfortunately worded so as to require "protestant" and disallow "protestant work ethic". Is the title of that work more famous than I realized so that we should all know the title as well as the concept?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

opusthepenguin wrote:
I thought of the UN, knew it was wrong, and failed to follow the bread crumbs from there. If I'd thought of League of Nations, I'd definitely have gone with it. Instead I went with FIFA because a silly long shot is better than no shot.
Not a bad guess, I think they were Latin sounding names. What gave it to me was the years. Right after
WWI to right before WWII.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Sorry to see Mukund go. Congrats to the new champ.

Is "tesseract" definitively wrong as a name for an Einstein-Rosen bridge?

So Gladiator is the most recent sword and sandals pic to win Best Picture. What are the previous ones?
Spoiler
I guess Ben-Hur fits. Anything else? Spartacus was nominated but didn't win.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Not a bad guess, I think they were Latin sounding names. What gave it to me was the years. Right after
WWI to right before WWII.
Yeah, that's a dead giveaway. It was right in front of me and I just didn't see it. When Mrs. Penguin said League of Nations at the end of the music, all the pieces fell in place. I knew instantly she was correct.

So the only thing I can congratulate myself on is that I knew beyond any doubt that United Nations could not possibly be correct.

I seem to recall being surprised in the past by contestants seeming not to know about the League of Nations. I thought that was a basic piece of history that everyone knew in general outline. Wilson starts the League of Nations after WWI. It goes bust. Then the United Nations starts after WWII.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The non-sequitur joke sounded like something from an episode of Invader Zim. Something something radioactive rubber pants.

Oddly, I missed the first two in "War" but got the next 3. NHO "warning track".

Bean + South America had me stuck on coffee. Lach Trash on Bourbon. Despite my love of peppers, I didn't know Cayenne.

Why is Venus hotter than Mercury? That doesn't make any sense.

Surprisingly, I ran the Genre category.

How about a TOM or something in this clue, huh?!
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Thank you Ghostbusters for teaching me ectoplasm.

"Baloney" a correct response for Bologna?

2/3 players writing down the UN? :?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

LTaM warning with 9 clues left in the J! round? Normally, I'd chalk it up to yet another video category that we were going to finish come hell or high water, but then we ran out of time in the DJ round too. I wonder if they would've finished it if the contestants had left it for last.

Speaking of which, once again we get conestants in danger of being locked out, but heading to the top/middle of a category. And then no one knows or even takes a desperation WAG at Colombia. *sigh*

Instaget FJ...
Bamaman wrote:What gave it to me was the years. Right after WWI to right before WWII.
Yup.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Well, that was certainly a yelling-at-the-tv moment. I can see not getting League of Nations, but putting down the United Nations? Knowing it was started after WWII and recognizing names of it's leaders (not even necessarily remembering them cold) is pretty much Jeopardy 101.

I was happily surprised to see, however, that they got to almost all the clues in DJ after beginning with the very slowest category, which then required Alex's contractual plug of the show to reduce time even further.

I would also add that the champ (last, not new) had one of the greatest interview segments it has been my privilege to hear. I enjoyed the first one about the police-calling cat, but the last one was just sublime. I was laughing so hard, I missed the first clue on the return to the game.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

1920 - 1939: interwar years... instaget. UN came after WWII... owtch! Odd lot of boards. mere 39R for goats. "Lifestyle" and "Pop Cx" will kill me one day.

LT: Demography, 1965 Civil Rights > Voting & Belize = Brit Honduras. Grats to the new champ on a runaway! :)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

several unfortunate slips tonight: the light between "the oceans", demographics and exoplasm (wondering if the last one is an acceptable variant)

just ugh
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Why is Venus hotter than Mercury?
BECAUSE ICE CREAM HAS NO BONES!!!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Mukund being married for 36 years had me thinking he would win a prize against the carnival age guesser with ease.

If Mukund had remembered the category of COMPANY "B" I wonder if he could have figured out Best Buy? $2000 more for the FJ! round would have been enough to win on the sole solve. Wormhole instead of tesseract would have done the trick as well.

Joe Montana was the $400 for NFL QUARTERBACKS to go with that Cowboy, Eli & Peyton, and Fran Tarkenton. Steve Young was the J!6. I'll guess that Tom Brady was in the $200 unseen clue.
opusthepenguin wrote:
Your post works for me except substitute OAS. The other thoughts I had were Red Cross and some kind of numbered Column from Spain.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Sadly Mukund threw away another win due to horrible DD wagering. If you're not confident and want to go small, bet the $5 minimum. Had he done that both times he still would have been within range going into FJ and then won on the sole solve. Of course the end result doesn't always reward good or bad wagering, but this is a great example of knowing how to properly go small can win a game. Most just assume the $995 won't make any difference.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

morbeedo wrote:several unfortunate slips tonight: the light between "the oceans", demographics and exoplasm (wondering if the last one is an acceptable variant)

just ugh
I wouldn't be surprised if "demographics" were accepted, at least.

Surprised to see two UN guesses. Thought the League of Nations was a WECIB? kind of answer.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

xxaaaxx wrote:LTaM warning with 9 clues left in the J! round? Normally, I'd chalk it up to yet another video category that we were going to finish come hell or high water, but then we ran out of time in the DJ round too. I wonder if they would've finished it if the contestants had left it for last.
I was surprised they only left one clue in that round, given the time taken dragging out the Star Talk category. When are contestants gonna learn, save those guest video categories for last?
niw44 wrote:they got to almost all the clues in DJ after beginning with the very slowest category, which then required Alex's contractual plug of the show to reduce time even further.
And he had to give that detailed explanation of Katie's score after her DD. grrrr
I was doubley irked for all the clues left in J!. Mostly because I wanted to see that last Super Bowl QB clue. Being a top row clue, it was probably going to be an easily recognized name like Brady, Bradshaw, Aikmen or Elway. I was hoping Gavin would get back to it but he lost control of the board for the longest time after Mukund stole Fran Tarkenton from him. I wonder if Gavin knew that one or not.