Wednesday, January 4, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7438, 2017-01-04

CONTESTANTS
Megan Soto, a student services supervisor from San Diego, California
Rich Betz, a teacher from Honesdale, Pennsylvania
Amanda Berofsky, a quality assurance analyst from Waterford, Michigan (whose 1-day cash winnings total $5,999)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. $5,000 is not that much money, but it's hard getting a good rhythm going, a good roll, following the celebrations for the new year, so, rich and Megan, welcome aboard.

Let's see if we can't win big money today. Here are the category for the Jeopardy! Round, starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HISTORIC OBJECTS (2/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
GERMANY'S NEXT TOP MODEL (5/5)
TV THEMES (4/5)
DUMB DOWN THE SAYING (5/5)
DON "E" (5/5) (Alex: ach correct response will begin with the letter "E", and it'll be a piece of apparel--something you would don, something you would wear.)
MARIE (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Megan: 9 R, 1 W
Amanda: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Rich: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Megan: $3,600
Rich: $1,600
Amanda: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Megan Soto is from San Diego. I believe she is a partygoer. She likes parties. But she is banned from hitting the piñata at parties. Why?

Megan: That's right, Alex. There was an incident--a party with my in-laws. I hit the piñata so hard that the candy flew out like shrapnel and hit my lovely sister-in-law, Joy, in the head. So that, um, that got me a lifetime ban on piñatas.

Alex: I don't blame them.

[Laughter]

Alex: All right, Rich Betz, a teacher from Honesdale, Pennsylvania, who once had to correct the docents or the guides at the Alamo.

Rich: The Daughters of the Texas Revolution care for the Alamo, and we went in. They had a display of flags in the building, representing the states where all the volunteers came from, and on each flag, there's a ribbon with the state's name and the number of volunteers that were there. Being from Pennsylvania, I immediately noticed that Pennsylvania and Ohio's flag tags were reversed. So I got myself a Daughter of the Revolution and I explained, and she said, "Well, we had the woman from the library here, 'cause they were just out for the parade. I'm pretty sure they're right," and I told her, "No, they couldn't possibly be." So she got a managing Daughter, and they went in and they changed them.

[Laughter]

Alex: And you've been persona non grata at the Alamo ever since.

[Laughter]

Alex: You and Santa Anna.

Alex: Amanda Berofsky is our champion. She's from Waterford, Michigan.

Amanda: Yes.

Alex: Travelin' woman, just got back from a European vacation.

Amanda: Yes, we did.

Alex: Where did you go?

Amanda: Well, we went to France, Belgium, and U.K. My husband played in a Scrabble--the world Scrabble championship in France, so... [Laughs]

Alex: Hello.

Amanda: We just got back last week.

Alex: Did he win?

Amanda: No, he didn't.

Alex: Huh. Did he finish in the money?

Amanda: No, he didn't.

Alex: Well, okay.

Amanda: We had fun, and we saw a lot of things.

Alex: Well, you've won a lot of money on our program, so let's see what happens.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Amanda found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Amanda had $4,200, Rich had $3,000, and Megan was at $5,400. Amanda wagered $2,500.

HISTORIC OBJECTS $600: More than 70 scenes are depicted on it with the last, chronologically, showing the English retreating at Hastings in 1066
(Amanda: What is the tapestry... I can't remember.)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TV THEMES $800: Punk band Hüsker Dü did a cover of this sitcom's theme "Love Is All Around"

MARIE $600: Marie Antoinette was the 15th child of Holy Roman Emperor Francis I & this empress

MARIE $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents.) The act of folding shows your gratitude to the shirt, according to this author of "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up"'; a correctly folded shirt will stand on its side

HISTORIC OBJECTS $1000: This slab of black rock now in the British Museum was used as building material by the Ottomans for Fort Julien, Egypt

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Megan: $5,400
Rich: $3,000
Amanda: $1,700
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, January 4, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
INTERVIEWS (4/5)
WORDS FROM THE GREEK (4/5)
TOP 40 BEFORE & AFTER (3/5)
19th CENTURY NOVEL CHARACTERS (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
EARLY HUMANOIDS (1/1)
"V"ACATION SPOTS (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Amanda: 12 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Megan: 5 R, 1 W
Rich: 0 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Amanda snagged the next Daily Double on the 21st clue. Amanda had $11,700, Rich had $1,000, and Megan was at $9,000. Amanda wagered $1,700.

19th CENTURY NOVEL CHARACTERS $2000: Marius Pontemercy, Gavroche
(Amanda: What is A Tale of Two Cities?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"V"ACATION SPOTS $400: Covering only 44 hectares, this country is found on the west bank of the Tiber River

"V"ACATION SPOTS $2000: This most densely populated country on the mainland of the Americas is also the smallest in Central America
(Rich: What is Venezuela?)

INTERVIEWS $1600: Defending his onetime Oprah-heralded bestseller on Oprah's show, he said, "I have... admitted to...lying"

WORDS FROM THE GREEK $800: Greek for "gift of grace" gives of this quality of magnetism & charm

TOP 40 BEFORE & AFTER $400: Britney Spears' debut single pleases with a Cyndi Lauper No. 1 to "Hit" it over & over
(Megan: What is, uh, "Hit Me One More Time After Time"?)
[Originally ruled correct, ruled incorrect before the first Daily Double]

19th CENTURY NOVEL CHARACTERS $800: Jack Dawkins, Old Sally
(Amanda: What is Treasure Island?)

19th CENTURY NOVEL CHARACTERS $1600: Widow Douglas, the Dauphin

TOP 40 BEFORE & AFTER $2000: The hooligan in a Coolio title gets illuminated by a Meat Loaf hit

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Amanda: $14,000
Megan: $9,000
Rich: $1,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSIC MOVIE ROLES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Amanda: Wager $4,001 to cover Megan, but no more than $11,999 so as not to fall behind Rich's doubled score.
Megan: You have the hope of surpassing Amanda if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $5,001 and as much as $7,000 to force Amanda to wager to win while still protecting your second place position from being usurped by Rich.
Rich: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A letter to the director that said, "Dear sir, I am fat & wear spectacles" got a young actor a role in this 1963 film

FINAL SCORES
Rich: $1,000 - $800 = $200 (What is Hey Benny!) (3rd place)
Megan: $9,000 - $1,000 = $8,000 (What is) (2nd place)
Amanda: $14,000 - $4,001 = $9,999 (What is West Side Story?) (6000-day champion: $9,999)
(Alex: He was 11 years old and got the role of Piggy.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Amanda: $18,200, 21 R, 4 W (including 2 DDs)
Megan: $9,000, 14 R, 2 W
Rich: $1,000, 6 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $28,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Amanda: 21/60 = .350
Megan: 14/58 = .241
Rich: 6/58 = .103
Team: 41/63 = .651

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TV THEMES $600: (Hi, I'm Al Roker.) I pity the fool who doesn't remember the theme to this '80s series; it still gets me jazzed, sucka

DUMB DOWN THE SAYING $200: "Arising in the morning from an incorrect mattress section"
(Rich: What is "sleeping on the wrong side of the bed"?)

DUMB DOWN THE SAYING $400: "Anchoring position at the bottom of a wooden sculpture carved by Native Americans of the Northwest"
(Amanda: What is "at the bottom of a totem pole"?)
(Megan: What is "the lowest on the totem pole"?)

DON "E" $800: Imperial name for the dress style seen here, with a change in design beginning immediately below the bust

MARIE $200: Fittingly, the life-size rendering shown of this Marie who founded a museum is made of wax

GERMANY'S NEXT TOP MODEL $800: The 4-door Panamera Turbo model of this car goes 0 to 60 in 3.9 seconds; Carreras lumber along, taking over 4
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

INTERVIEWS $400: (I'm Lara Logan of CBS News.) In my interview with Pakistani president Pervez Musharraf he said he warned this woman that she was the target of suicide bombers before her 2007 murder

INTERVIEWS $1200: (I'm Melissa Harris-Perry.) In 2016 I interviewed Karen Weaver, mayor of this Michigan city, who talked about the horrific water crisis her people faced

INTERVIEWS $2000: (Hi. I'm Kate Bolduan of CNN.) In 2016 I interviewed this GOP candidate about his worst job-- janitor at Clemson--& worst date--she only spoke German; at one point he said, "This is why I'm at 1%"

TOP 40 BEFORE & AFTER $800: A Macklemore & Ryan Lewis smash is told what "you better" do by the Miracles
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

EARLY HUMANOIDS $400: Scientists believe Gigantopithecus of Asia stood almost 10' in height & lived largely on a diet of this tall grass
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Bayeux Tapestry
The Mary Tyler Moore Show
Maria Theresa
Marie Kondo
the Rosetta Stone
Les Miserables
Vatican City
El Salvador
James Frey
charisma
"Hit Me Baby One More Time After Time"
Oliver Twist
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
"Gangsta's Paradise By The Dashboard Light"
Lord of the Flies
The A-Team
"waking up on the wrong side of the bed"
"the low man on the totem pole"
empire waist
Madame Tussaud
Porsche
Benazir Bhutto
Flint
(Lindsey) Graham
"Thrift Shop Around"
bamboo
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSIC MOVIE ROLES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A letter to the director that said, “Dear Sir, I am fat & wear spectacles” got a young actor a role in this 1963 film

Amanda Berofsky: 14000-4001=9999 (2x = $15,998)
Rich Betz: 1000-800=200
Megan Soto: 9000-1000=8000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Lord of the Flies (Amanda – West Side Story) (Rich – Hey Benny!) (Megan – What is)

Daily Doubles
Amanda: 4200-2500
Amanda: 11700-1700
3rd DD not revealed

Coryats
Amanda: 18200
Rich: 1000
Megan: 9000

Combined: 28,200
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Not sure i ever knew this, but the Shroud of Turin is 14' long? I always pictured it as being a bit less than that.

Wasn't sure when the LotF picture came out, but Piggy was the first thing that popped into my head, so that's the film I went with.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Dumb Down for $400 shows me why I hate long answers. It's so easy to give an answer that's very close but not quite on the nose.

American Beauty = rose wasn't happening, so I ended up 4/5.

NHO the Bastille or Bhutto.

I've heard the Bobby Bare song a billion times and I still couldn't connect Marie Laveau to New Orleans. "Wait, that song doesn't mention a city or even a region, does it?" Yes, it does. In the first line.

WLT Vatican at $400?

Lach Trash: Charisma (of which I have none).

I didn't realize the Top 40 category was a Before & After so I was stumped on $400 and wondering why Lauper was in there. Had "Thrift Shop ____" and "Call Me Maybe ____", total brain fart on $2,000 after spinning my wheels vainly on "Bat Out of Hell", and got "You Light Up My Life in the Fast Lane".

No guess on FJ! Didn't know Lord of the Flies had a movie. Not even Alex spotting "Piggy" helped, even though I remembered Piggy being key in a previous LotF clue.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:American Beauty = rose wasn't happening
Guessing you've never seen the movie?
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Thought about Piggy, but since he was a FJ answer <2 month ago (Nov 16), I figured it had to be something else and couldn't come up with something (thought about Agustus Gloop).

I guess since the Teen Tournament was filmed a long time ago, it wasn't as recent a dupe for them...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:NHO the Bastille or Bhutto.
You really need to stop using NHO.

http://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1& ... le#p193069
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:NHO the Bastille or Bhutto.
You really need to stop using NHO.

http://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1& ... le#p193069
Then I didn't make the connection that Bastille Day refers to that Bastille. Since I didn't know the day either, for all I know it could've been named for something else Bastille.
Leander

Post by Leander »

OSXpert wrote:Thought about Piggy, but since he was a FJ answer <2 month ago (Nov 16), I figured it had to be something else and couldn't come up with something (thought about Agustus Gloop).

I guess since the Teen Tournament was filmed a long time ago, it wasn't as recent a dupe for them...
I was puzzled they would use the same answer in such a short period of time. LotF never crossed my mind. I thought they meant youngish adult actor, not child and would have thought the film was older than 1963.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

No offense to the Jeopardy writers, but I don't think they remotely understood the FJ category. Say what you will about the book or the movie, Piggy is not a classic movie role. For starters, when I think of a movie role, I think about the actor or actress, like Humphrey Bogart as Sam Spade or Rick Blaine. A classic movie character is what they were looking for here. But even there, we could probably come up with 100 such characters and probably many from 1963 before landing on anyone in Lord of the Flies.

And Jeopardy's obsession with that book (and now movie) is more than a bit strange. My theory is that one of the writers was forced to write a theme about it in junior high and she or he has been making the rest of the world pay for that crime for many years now. It appears more than 20 times in the last 10 years.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I was surprised the totem pole clue wasn't reversed. It wasn't hard for the right reason, but because it seemed like a random guess in figuring out the magic wording to get to the right answer. I don't get why bottom and lowest were wrong.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Elijah Baley wrote:Say what you will about the book or the movie, Piggy is not a classic movie role.
It is a role in a classic movie, however, yes? They were looking for a classic movie and the clue is about a role in that movie.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

While it is a well known book, the movie and role of Piggy are not nearly as iconic. Not like Atticus Finch, for example. Nothing came to me. For some reason my mind went to Bond at the last second and wrote down Dr. No.

I agree the totem pole clue was crazy and I had no idea what they were going for when Sarah was folding that shirt.
Clue Jungry
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Clue Jungry »

Vowela wrote:I was surprised the totem pole clue wasn't reversed. It wasn't hard for the right reason, but because it seemed like a random guess in figuring out the magic wording to get to the right answer. I don't get why bottom and lowest were wrong.
I said "Low end of the totem pole" and am still not sure whether the judges would have accepted. Also missed FJ, even though I saw the movie version of "Lord of the Flies" back in high school. However, the choir song does bear an uncanny resemblance to the Think Music. Judge for yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/38d95F3UIg4"
Last edited by Clue Jungry on Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Clue Jungry wrote:
Vowela wrote:I was surprised the totem pole clue wasn't reversed. It wasn't hard for the right reason, but because it seemed like a random guess in figuring out the magic wording to get to the right answer. I don't get why bottom and lowest were wrong.
I said "Low end of the totem pole" and am still not sure whether the judges would have accepted. Also missed FJ, even though I saw the movie version of "Lord of the Flies" back in high school. However, the choir song does bear an uncanny resemblance to the Think Music. Judge for yourself.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/38d95F3UIg4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
It's Kyrie Eleison (not the Mister Mister version :) ). It does have a bit of the cadence here and there.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

Clue Jungry wrote:
I said "Low end of the totem pole" and am still not sure whether the judges would have accepted.
Unfortunately I'm pretty sure you get the neg as well (as did I).

Hated that dumb down category, that totem pole one was just stupid. Also thought that FJ was just terrible. Lord of the Flies is not a popular, acclaimed, or at all notable movie, and is only "classic" in the sense that it's old.

Had a terrible game from home, being too slow on a bunch of clues that I knew. Yeesh.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Any kind of category with working in familiar phrases opens itself to different variations with some responses acceptable and others not quite cutting it. I counted my "low person on the totem pole" as correct.

"Anchoring position at the bottom of a wooden sculpture carved by Native Americans of the Northwest"

"at the bottom of a totem pole" is not enough and "the lowest on the totem pole" does not quite cut it.

From 2/28/08 in "LOW": Proverbially, you don't want to be this foundation guy at the bottom on an elaborately carved Indian post

Amanda was 0/2 on her DDs and missed the FJ! clue in a non-runaway game. That is a tough path to winning on J!

Tom Jones was my guess for the FJ! clue going off 1963. Fat boy with glasses to Piggy to LotF was not on my radar in 30 seconds. What did not affect my chances of solving it were the category name or the recent use of Piggy in a FJ! clue.

Too bad Rich did not find a Daily Double since I wanted to see how Mr. Betz bets.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:Any kind of category with working in familiar phrases opens itself to different variations with some responses acceptable and others not quite cutting it. I counted my "low person on the totem pole" as correct.
Which is exactly why I think those kind of clues are such a clustercrap to begin with.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Yikes that FJ was YEKIOYD. I had no idea. Piggy is not a "classic movie role." Rick Blaine (Casablanca) and R.P. McMurphy & Nurse Ratched (Cuckoo's Nest) are classic roles; not Piggy.

LT: Mary Tyler Moore theme and charisma.

I thought it was chippy for the judges not to accept "Bottom of the totem pole." Yes, "low man" is usually how it's expressed, but the former means exactly the same thing.