Friday, January 6, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, January 6, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

In case anybody was wondering, Das Kapital - using Amazon Search Inside This Book on a 2012 English-language edition -uses bourgeois at least 53 times, bourgeois society at least 7, so I wouldn't go too far with the idea that the word is a Pavlov for the Manifesto. (Granted, no sorceror...) More helpful for those who chose rightly - unlike me - would be realizing the comparative brevity of the latter, probably a reason Work was chosen for the category name...My own "reasoning" was that if the excerpt was from the Manifesto, I'd recognize it, since I've actually read that one...yeah, only about 40 years ago!

I said Joshua for the Moses clue, hoping that he died at the beginning of that book, not the end of the previous one, which I was blanking on, but knew it wasn't Exodus... :roll:
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Yes, the clue could be simplified to "bourgeois" on J!=The Communist Manifesto.
But Mark, Bourgeois came up -- on Monday, even -- in a League of Nations context! ;)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

goatman wrote:LOL today @J6: Yet ANOTHER William Golding Clue, in Category; Begins/Ends 'with same vowel':

In Lord of the Flies, Piggy suffers from this ailment:
Spoiler
"What is AsthmA?"
Pretty sure that doesn't actually fit the category.
Spoiler
"Sucks to yer ass-mar!"
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

No luck on FJ, but at least I got two of the DDs right (the DJ! ones).
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Am I the only one who's noticed a trend of very difficult Daily Doubles in the bottom row of the first round only? Like maybe they should bet small if it's bottom row even if they are confident in the category.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

cf1140 wrote:Am I the only one who's noticed a trend of very difficult Daily Doubles in the bottom row of the first round only? Like maybe they should bet small if it's bottom row even if they are confident in the category.
I think bottom row DDs are generally the hardest in both rounds, not just the first one. I agree that this should affect strategy though.

Running the elements category was the only thing preventing me from having a terrible game (by my standards). Considered Das Kapital, but the Communist Manifesto seemed like the more obvious response so I was pretty sure that was it. Too bad for the middle podium.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

sarisson wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote: The hard drive on my DVR fried this afternoon, so I am stuck with live TV for the next few days. I'm not sure how some of you guys do it. Not being able to pause when I need a moment to think and don't want to be spoiled by the contestant's response is a killer. I might've gotten that Moses DD had I had a second to think about it.
Well, now we know the secrets of your success. Try playing with the blast shield down! It's more fun answering in real time. I don't even touch the remote during the show unless WABC shows that ultra-depressing anti-smoking PSA.
The only times I pause during gameplay are a) DDs, b) the very occasional clue where I want to ring in but know I will need a second to pull the correct response and c) to jot down LT or notes that I want to discuss here. For a and b, I'm strict about holding myself to J! time limits. I don't want to get a false sense of my skill level. But yeah, playing with no opportunity to pause is a totally different experience. The new DVR is supposed to get here on Wednesday, so hopefully I don't have to do go J!-commando for long.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

The way Joe was knifing through that Monty/Monte category with impressive gets, I thought sure he'd run it.
I suspect there are numerous bordies besides myself that picked up the Graham Chapman LT. There were a couple above it that I felt were more difficult.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

If Dante had gone TDD in the Uruguay category, he'd have been in the lead for the DD in the elements category, and could have achieved a lock with another TDD.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I had never heard about the World Cup starting at Centenario until I was in MV last (!) year & took a day tour of the city. Understandably, Uruguayans are still proud of the victory. Count me as another one who went with Das Kapital. Good game overall!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Oh yeah, I instagot The Communist Manifesto, but during the Think music, I was thinking, "There's another Marx work, and I can't remember what it is. I hope it's not that one." Glad it wasn't!
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

40 right.

Child (4), State (3), Military (5), Bible (4), 2-Letter (1), Music (3)
Film (4), Symbol (3), Job (3), Same Vowel (3), Monty (4), Uruguay (3)

Lach Trash: John Legend, Finding Neverland, Graham Chapman, Rio de la Plata

Instaget FJ, because of "bourgeois".
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

DK cost me the perfecto.
koozbane
Valued Contributor

Post by koozbane »

Anyone else think Dante's voice and mannerisms resembled Ken's a bit? THE Ken.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I feel like both Thursday and Friday's FJ are harmed by overthinking. Edison and Telsa were the first thing that came to mind, and ditto with Communist Manifesto. On Thursday, I knew more about the subject and switched to Westinghouse, but on Friday I don't know Marx well enough to think it could have been anything else so I never had a chance to be tempted by Das Kapital.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Negged with Lamentations on Job because it sounded like a sad verse to me.
As did I, and Job is my favourite Bible Book! (Yes, I'm weird.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

davey wrote: I said Joshua for the Moses clue, hoping that he died at the beginning of that book, not the end of the previous one, which I was blanking on, but knew it wasn't Exodus... :roll:
According to Judeo Christian tradition, Moses was the author of the Pentateuch (Torah). So a guess of that passage being in the first chapter of Joshua is understandable, as it would've been fairly difficult for him to write about his own death ("Castle Of ... Aaaagh!")

I also was amused that the press secretary didn't get the "press secretary" clue.

My experience with FJ's is to always go for the obvious answer if there is one. Das Kapital is the work most often associated with Marx so that was my guess.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Negged with Lamentations on Job because it sounded like a sad verse to me.
As did I, and Job is my favourite Bible Book! (Yes, I'm weird.)
There's a strong emphasis on the Pentateuch so it's well worth not only memorizing Genesis-Exodus-Leviticus ('of the Levites')-Numbers ('census')-Deuteronomy (2nd Law)but to also know the story!

Nice synopsis on wiki about the Torah, chock full 'o names often dropped on J!:
Spoiler
The Torah starts from the beginning of God's creating the world, through the beginnings of the people of Israel, their descent into Egypt, and the giving of the Torah at Mt. Sinai. It ends with the death of Moses, just before the people of Israel cross to the promised land of Canaan. Interspersed in the narrative are the specific teachings (religious obligations and civil laws) given explicitly (i.e. Ten Commandments) or implicitly embedded in the narrative (as in Exodus 12 and 13 laws of the celebration of Passover).

The Hebrew names for the books of the Torah are derived from their respective incipits; the common English names for the books are derived from the Greek Septuagint and reflect the essential theme of each book:

Genesis: "origin" (Hebrew: Bereshit – "In the beginning")
Exodus: "going out" (Hebrew: Shemot – "Names")
Leviticus: "relating to the Levites" (Hebrew: Vayikra, – "And he called")
Numbers: numbering of the Israelites (Hebrew: Bamidbar – "In the desert")
Deuteronomy: "second law" (Hebrew: D'varim – "Words")

Genesis

Genesis begins with the so-called "primeval history" (Genesis 1–11), the story of the world's beginnings and the descent from Adam. This is followed by the story of the three patriarchs (Abraham, Isaac and Jacob), Joseph (Genesis 12–50) and the four matriarchs (Sarah, Rebekah, Leah and Rachel). God gives to the patriarchs a promise of the land of Canaan, but at the end of Genesis the sons of Jacob end up leaving Canaan for Egypt due to a regional famine. They had heard that there was a grain storage and distribution facility in Egypt.
Exodus

Exodus begins the story of God's revelation to his people of Israel through Moses, who leads them out of Egypt (Exodus 1–18) to Mount Sinai. There the people accept the covenant with God, agreeing to be his people and abide by his holy Law, in return for his agreeing to be their God, and protect and defend them from their enemies, and provide for and prosper them . Moses receives the Torah from God, and teaches His laws and Covenant (Exodus 19–24) to the people of Israel. It also talks about the first violation of the covenant when the Golden Calf was constructed (Exodus 32–34). Exodus includes the instructions on building the Tabernacle and concludes with its actual construction (Exodus 25–31; 35–40).
Leviticus

Leviticus begins with instructions to the Israelites on how to use the Tabernacle, which they had just built (Leviticus 1–10). This is followed by rules of clean and unclean (Leviticus 11–15), which includes the laws of slaughter and animals permissible to eat (see also: Kashrut), the Day of Atonement (Leviticus 16), and various moral and ritual laws sometimes called the Holiness Code (Leviticus 17–26). Leviticus 26 provides a detailed list of rewards for following God's commandments and a detailed list of punishments for not following them.
Numbers

Numbers tells how Israel consolidated itself as a community at Sinai (Numbers 1–9), set out from Sinai to move towards Canaan and spied out the land (Numbers 10–13). Because of unbelief at various points, but especially at Kadesh Barnea (Numbers 14), the Israelites were condemned to wander for forty years in the desert in the vicinity of Kadesh instead of immediately entering the Promised Land. Even Moses sins and is told he would not live to enter the land (Numbers 20). At the end of Numbers (Numbers 26–35) Israel moves from Kadesh to the plains of Moab opposite Jericho, ready to enter the Promised Land.
Deuteronomy
Deuteronomy is a series of speeches by Moses on the plains of Moab opposite Jericho. Also referred to as Mishneh Torah in Hebrew (a repeat of the Torah) the essential gist of the entire book is a rebuke to the Children of Israel to not worship idolatry, to not follow in the ways of Cana'an, and to cleave to God. Moses proclaims the Law (Deuteronomy 12–26), gives instruction concerning covenant renewal at Shechem (Deuteronomy 27–28) and gives Israel new laws (the "Deuteronomic Code").[18] At the end of the book (Deuteronomy 34) Moses is allowed to see the promised land from a mountain, and then dies. The text emphasises that no one knows where Moses was finally buried (34:6). Knowing that he was nearing the end of his life, Moses had appointed Joshua his successor, bequeathing to him the mantle of leadership. Soon afterwards Israel begins the conquest of Canaan.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Kenny wrote:Knew instantly FJ was a Karl Marx work, but like many I guessed the obvious "Das Kapital."

Moses' death passage from the Bible was serious negbait. I think 95% of people would say it was from Exodus.

Interesting that the press secretary contestant didn't ring in on the occupation clue that was "press secretary."
Would "communications director" have been accepted? I got completely tongue tied on that one.

LT: Ye, Finding Neverland, Beau Brummel, Fluorine

NHO Chrissy Teigen until last month, still wasn't enough to get me to John Legend, even though they just did a Nutcracker promo video for Target.

TPTB: Stop asking about WWII !

Trumbeau was a nice get by Christina, who probably lost the buzzer race 9 times out of 10 and when she did get control, didn't try to find any DDs.

How do you come up with Deuteronomy? YEKIOYD? or do you assume Moses's story has to end in the last of the first 5 books? I would have said Exodus, but I would have only lost $5.

FJ - got hung up on sorcerer and spell and went into a 30 second death spiral.

How does Dante so utterly dominate the J! round and then fade away in DJ! ?
davey

Post by davey »

morbeedo wrote: Would "communications director" have been accepted? I got completely tongue tied on that one.
The
White House press secretary is also known as spokesman (or -person). (I accepted that for myself.) But Communications Director is a different job.