2017 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Volante »

I was aiming to post this in an hour, but that's gonna be a nope.

Don't forget, 2016 events are still fair game, so if you need a refresher, here's the '16 thread: 2016 Current Events Study Guide

Can't just leave it at that though, so while I doubt they'll ask about this (even given the recent category)...
The 2017 Rose Parade Grand Marshals are three former Olympians: Allyson Felix, Greg Louganis and Janet Evans
http://abc7.com/society/3-olympians-cho ... s/1587607/

The parade itself will be on Monday, 02 Jan.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
Volante

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Volante »

2016 decided to stick around another day...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38487509
ISIS has claimed responsibility for an attack on an Istanbul (Turkey) nightclub attack that left 39 dead.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Arnold Schwarzenegger is now hosting Celebrity Apprentice. When Donald Trump dismissed someone he said, "You're fired!" and that person was shown leaving in a cab.

Governor, as he wants to be called, and made that clear earlier in the show to Jon Lovitz who called him Arnold, uses a different line for the firing.
Spoiler
You're terminated! Get to the chopper. The celeb was shown flying away in a helicopter.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:Arnold Schwarzenegger is now hosting Celebrity Apprentice. When Donald Trump dismissed someone he said, "You're fired!" and that person was shown leaving in a cab.

Governor, as he wants to be called, and made that clear earlier in the show to Jon Lovitz who called him Arnold, uses a different line for the firing.
Spoiler
You're terminated! Get to the chopper. The celeb was shown flying away in a helicopter.

See, I find the replacement with Schwarzenegger odd. I completely understand why they can't use Trump (if he lost I hope they'd still not use him but that's neither here nor there) but Schwarzenegger was known as an actor and politician (and body builder), not a businessman (although I wouldn't be surprised if he ran a business or two sometime in his life). Trump is (or was, now) best known for being a businessman, kind of the Pavlov of businessmen for a time - deserved or not, he was one of the few people famous for running a business, and probably the top of that. The Apprentice is about business acumen, so I would think replacing Trump with someone who is known for running businesses would have been better (although the list is very short of people in that Venn intersection of "famous business heads" and "enough of a pop culture celebrity to do reality TV unironically")
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante

Post by Volante »

Megyn Kelly is leaving FOX for NBC later this year once her FOX contract is up (end of summer).
http://press.nbcnews.com/2017/01/03/meg ... -nbc-news/
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

I wouldn't be surprised to see this one show up as a FJ clue in a year or two:

ACTRESSES:

Her last words, according to her son, were, "I want to be with Carrie."
Spoiler
Who is Debbie Reynolds?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Kenny wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to see this one show up as a FJ clue in a year or two:

ACTRESSES:

Spoiler
Who is Debbie Reynolds?
But that was in 2016.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

At age 50, Janet Jackson gave birth to a son, Aissa Al Mana.

She might come up because of her "wardrobe malfunction" at Super Bowl XXXVIII; having a #1 album in four different decades (the latest was Unbreakable (2015), only Bruce Springsteen and Barbra Streisand have done that); and myriad other accomplishments in her musical career.
Last edited by Blue Lion on Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Girl Scouts are celebrating 100 years of selling cookies. 2017 will introduce two new versions of a S'mores flavor.

http://time.com/4617635/girl-scout-cookies-smores-2017/
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

MarkBarrett wrote:The Girl Scouts are celebrating 100 years of selling cookies. 2017 will introduce two new versions of a S'mores flavor.

http://time.com/4617635/girl-scout-cookies-smores-2017/
Good chance this will come up. Juliette Gordon Low, the founder of GSA, has come up multiple times in Jeopardy. So have Thin Mints, the #1-selling variety of Girl Scout Cookies.

A Detroit morning radio host used to say that Girl Scout Cookies deserved to be a separate food group.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

seaborgium wrote:
Kenny wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to see this one show up as a FJ clue in a year or two:

ACTRESSES:

Spoiler
Who is Debbie Reynolds?
But that was in 2016.
The OP said "2016 events are still fair game." Am I missing something?
earendel

Post by earendel »

Kenny wrote:
seaborgium wrote:

ACTRESSES:

Spoiler
Who is Debbie Reynolds?
But that was in 2016.
That this should go in the 2016 current events guide, not the 2017.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Volante

Post by Volante »

Kenny wrote:
seaborgium wrote:

ACTRESSES:

Spoiler
Who is Debbie Reynolds?
But that was in 2016.
As in they can still appear on Jeopardy!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Movies
Blade Runner 2049 (Ryan Gosling & Harrison Ford)
CHiPs (Dax Shepard & Michael Peña)
Our Souls at Night (Robert Redford & Jane Fonda - also did Barefoot in the Park in 1967 & The Electric Horseman in 1979)
War for the Planet of the Apes (Andy Serkis as Caesar)
The Lego Batman Movie (Will Arnett)
Baywatch (Dwayne Johnson & Zac Efron) (Alexandra Daddario & Priyanka Chopra)

TV
Class (spin-off of Doctor Who aired in 2016 across the pond - 2017 on BBCA)
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (on HBO starring Oprah based on book by Rebecca Skloot)
The Good Fight (spin-off of The Good Wife)

Books
Into the Water by Paula Hawkins

Music
The Breaker (album by Little Big Town)

Yes, I have read EW's "The First Look" issue. :) There is a lot more covered in it and I tried to pick some likelys that J! might use.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

The adage of "Know Your Canada" may take on more importance this year, as it's the sesquicentennial of Canadian Confederation. Without a game on Canada Day itself, I imagine either the June 30 or July 3 games will feature some themed content.
Volante

Post by Volante »

May be too dark, though it could make a good FJ clue...

Carrie Fisher's urn was modeled off of a Prozac pill
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/c ... ill-961625
Volante

Post by Volante »

Sears sells Craftsman to Stanley (formerly Black and Decker) for $750 million (but could result in over $1 billion for Sears) in a desperate attempt to stay afloat/relevant.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html
Volante

Post by Volante »

Old LL 1D spoiler:

David Blaine almost added himself to the list of such luminaries as "Madame Delinsky (d.1820), Arnold Buck (d.1840), Dr./Prof. Epstein (d.1869), The Black Wizard of the West (d.1922) and most famously Chung Ling Soo (d.1918)" when his bullet catch didn't quite go as planned.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/2554945 ... let-stunt/
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Blue Lion wrote:
Volante wrote:Sears sells Craftsman to Stanley (formerly Black and Decker) for $750 million (but could result in over $1 billion for Sears) in a desperate attempt to stay afloat/relevant.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html
Sears also owns Kmart, a chain that is in its death throes.

Let's not forget Macy's, which announced that it will close 100 stores this year. The closures will also result in the loss of 10,000 jobs.

And this just in: The Limited announced that it has closed all of its bricks-and-mortar stores nationwide.

Makes me wonder about the future of malls.
Volante

Post by Volante »

For the 2017 Golden Globes:

Best TV Drama - The Crown. Netflix. Also Claire Foy for Best Actress (D)
Best TV Musical/Comedy - Atlanta. Also Donald Glover for Best Actor (M/C)

Best Drama - Moonlight
Best Musical/Comedy - La La Land. NOT Ryan Gosling's best 2016 work (The Nice Guys) or the real best musical/comedy (Deadpool). La La Land. Seriously. And they gave SEVEN BLOODY AWARDS to that piece of hack. Nope. I'm done. Rest are here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/74th_Golden_Globe_Awards

La La Land. Geeze....
Someone else is gonna have to do the Oscars, cause I swear, if that or Manchester by the Sea wins... :evil: