Friday, January 6, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Re: Friday, January 6, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by RandyG »

morbeedo wrote: How do you come up with Deuteronomy? YEKIOYD? or do you assume Moses's story has to end in the last of the first 5 books? I would have said Exodus, but I would have only lost $5.
I always come back to LaND = Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy to remember the order of the last 3 books of the 5 Books of Moses. Genesis, then Exodus are hard to misplace. Leviticus itemizes all the rules/laws, Numbers spends a lot of time on numbers (census data) and also wandering in the desert, and Deuteronomy is mostly about hydrogen isotopes.

After the science lesson, Deuteronomy ends with Moses' death. Moses has handed the reigns to Joshua, which is then the next book of the O.T.

From that point on, I can never remember any order.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

RandyG wrote:
morbeedo wrote: How do you come up with Deuteronomy? YEKIOYD? or do you assume Moses's story has to end in the last of the first 5 books? I would have said Exodus, but I would have only lost $5.
I always come back to LaND = Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy to remember the order of the last 3 books of the 5 Books of Moses. Genesis, then Exodus are hard to misplace. Leviticus itemizes all the rules/laws, Numbers spends a lot of time on numbers (census data) and also wandering in the desert, and Deuteronomy is mostly about hydrogen isotopes.

After the science lesson, Deuteronomy ends with Moses' death. Moses has handed the reigns to Joshua, which is then the next book of the O.T.

I do remember the order from Catholic grammar school but have no idea what's IN those darn books!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Just got back from the bunker where I had to go to see the show.

Dante started out like a house afire, but seemed to cool off until late in DJ after his misstep on Moses.

I never would have guessed Joe would go 4/5 in the music category.

I looked him up and discovered Dante works for John Garamendi (D-CA).

I actually considered Twain for FJ as it referenced magicians and the like, but stuck with my first choice of Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde.
cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cthulhu »

RandyG wrote:

I can always remember the three books that make a complete sentence: Joshua Judges Ruth. Also the name of a terrific album from national treasure Lyle Lovett.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

cthulhu wrote:
RandyG wrote:

I can always remember the three books that make a complete sentence: Joshua Judges Ruth. Also the name of a terrific album from national treasure Lyle Lovett.
"Matthew Mark Luke" also makes a complete sentence, but the order of the synoptic gospels is rarely germaine.
flutist319
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flutist319 »

Kenny wrote:"Matthew Mark Luke" also makes a complete sentence, but the order of the synoptic gospels is rarely germaine.
Hmm, I have a feeling I've seen a few questions of the form "This nth book of the New Testament…" in the past.

In any case, since the children's song "Matthew, Mark, Luke and John" happens to mention them in order, I've never had trouble with that. This is despite the fact that I don't actually have a good handle on what the substantive differences between them are (other than the obvious ones like synoptic vs. John, "Q" being a thing, etc.).
davey

Post by davey »

Kenny wrote:
cthulhu wrote:
RandyG wrote:

"Matthew Mark Luke" also makes a complete sentence, but the order of the synoptic gospels is rarely germaine.
Don't you need a comma in there to make it a sentence?
stephanie
Valued Contributor

Post by stephanie »

Got that clue easily (That's Graham in my avatar btw, as an animated Oscar Wilde from his autobiographical film). I'm sure if they showed a picture of John Cleese it wouldn't have been a triple stumper. :)

I thought it curious the other day as well the mention of David Bowie (the clue mentioning Iman), since Bowie and Chapman share the same Jan. 8th birthday.
Category 13 wrote: I suspect there are numerous bordies besides myself that picked up the Graham Chapman LT. There were a couple above it that I felt were more difficult.
Not Jeopardy! material :(