Monday, January 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Monday, January 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Woof »

Vermonter wrote:One of my favorite songs, "Spinning Away" by Brian Eno and John Cale, makes reference to Starry Night:

Spinning away
Like the night sky at Arles

https://open.spotify.com/track/1zCrjmplbeiO1k1KCs0E1f

Those wagers... woof
You called? Just had to say that I love love love that Eno and Cale CD. Spinning Away is great, as are most of the tracks on there. Arles for me is Pavlovian for Van Gogh so an instaget FJ, even without the timeline and red-headed madman hints.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I think I would have gotten FJ with any single one of the three TOMs of red headed madman, 1889, and Arles.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Vermonter wrote:One of my favorite songs, "Spinning Away" by Brian Eno and John Cale, makes reference to Starry Night:

Spinning away
Like the night sky at Arles

https://open.spotify.com/track/1zCrjmplbeiO1k1KCs0E1f
Another pop song about Vincent Van Gogh.

Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Anyone else notice that Jack was clearly scowling when he lost the game? I can only imagine how much it sucks to lose on J!, especially when you lead going into FJ, but it's a nationally televised game show people, smile a little.
Last edited by morbeedo on Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

morbeedo wrote:Anyone else notice that Jack was clearly scowling when he lost the game? I can only imagine how much it sucks to lose on J!, especially when you lead going into FJ, but it's a nationally televised game show people, smile a little.
Who cares if it's a nationally televised show? Why should somebody who just lost when attempting a potentially lifelong ambition put on some phony smile for millions of people he will never meet? Screw that.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Golf wrote:
morbeedo wrote:Anyone else notice that Jack was clearly scowling when he lost the game? I can only imagine how much it sucks to lose on J!, especially when you lead going into FJ, but it's a nationally televised game show people, smile a little.
Who cares if it's a nationally televised show? Why should somebody who just lost when attempting a potentially lifelong ambition put on some phony smile for millions of people he will never meet? Screw that.
Haha. Look, I feel the pain, but as a viewer I want to see fake plastic smiles or full-on wailing.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

morbeedo wrote:
Golf wrote:
Haha. Look, I feel the pain, but as a viewer I want to see fake plastic smiles or full-on wailing.
I'd prefer seeing the two losing contestants jump the winner and start a brawl.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote:
morbeedo wrote:
Golf wrote:
Or at a bare minimum stick out their tongues and thumb their noses at the winner.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Elijah Baley wrote:Zimmerman? I didn't get where Jack was going with that one. Because up to that point, he was looking like he could ride out the week.
That "madman" Bob Zimmerman?

Hasn't he been redeemed by his Nobel?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

goatman wrote:There you go again Boardies, dissing the new champ. Come on already! Blair played well IMHO and she bet on herself, which paid off. Smart, pretty young lady. Good game guys!

43R for goats, LT: NHO St Barts, America First Committee or "Chuhasco"? So, n/a. Fun boards! Grats to the new champ; if she's reading this page, we're rooting for you, go girl! :)
She won fair and square, but her FJ bet put her at risk to be caught from behind. If Joe had gone all in, his $17,600 would have won the game. She should have bet $7,001 to cover. Perhaps that was a math error, as she seemed to have the right idea.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I sorta figured Jack would be "skewered meat" when he guessed that a gaucho is a dish of skewered meat.

As for the clues being too long, the FJ could have been reduced to a single word:

Category: 19th Century Notables.

Clue: Arles.

Answer: who was Van Gogh (who is of course Pavlovian for Arles).

At least IMO
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Gauguin would have been negbait for Arles as both he and Van Gogh lived there.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woof wrote:Arles for me is Pavlovian for Van Gogh so an instaget FJ, even without the timeline and red-headed madman hints.
Yep. All thirteen clues in the archive that reference Arles also reference Van Gogh. Ten times the clue gave Arles and wanted Van Gogh. One clue gave Van Gogh and wanted Arles. And two clues gave Van Gogh and Arles and wanted Paul Gauguin. So if the clue says Arles and doesn't say Van Gogh, you should say Van Gogh. If the clue says Arles and Van Gogh, you should say Gauguin. There are no archived clues that include Arles but not Van Gogh. In no case was Arles connected to the composer Georges Bizet so you should forget I even brought that up.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

opusthepenguin wrote:In no case was Arles connected to the composer Georges Bizet so you should forget I even brought that up.
Brought what up? :mrgreen:
Golf

Post by Golf »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
alietr wrote:
morbeedo wrote:
Golf wrote:
Or at a bare minimum stick out their tongues and thumb their noses at the winner.
What if the winner trash talked and/or made gestures towards the other contestants? Instead of Alex and the three calmly chatting Alex would have to get in between the combative contestants during the credit roll! :o :shock:
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

The America First Committee appeared in the UToC finals and was a triple stumper between Jennings, Vered, and Rutter. Tough clue! http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=329
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woof wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:In no case was Arles connected to the composer Georges Bizet so you should forget I even brought that up.
Brought what up? :mrgreen:
Fight Club.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I wrote down Van Gogh but crossed him out because he was Dutch and tried to think of someone else but nothing came. Lesson learned.

A BMS on Kennedy given NY Senator and 1968? I guess it could conceivably been Teddy, but still.

I guess Joe held back $800 to have a chance at second since she needed to bet it all. So he got his wish.

If you have two wins (and you are a tenured professor), don't worry about an extra $1,000.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

*makes not impressed face*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Golf wrote:
Agreed. What phoney baloney... ROFLMAO :x
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!