Tuesday, January 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7442, 2017-01-10

CONTESTANTS
Libby Hunt, a retired consultant from Dallas, Texas
Colby Taylor, an assistant professor of psychology from Olive Branch, Mississippi
Blair Moorhead, a social worker from Arlington, Virginia (whose 1-day cash winnings total $17,402)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Hey, Johnny. Hello, ladies and gentlemen. We had a great kickoff to the week yesterday, a marvelous game. Two players came up with correct responses in Final Jeopardy!, but at the end of the half hour, Blair is the one who had the most money, so she's back today as champion, defending against Colby and Libby. Welcome. Good luck. Here we go. Categories are as follows today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
"ROLL" CALL (5/5)
ENTERTAINMENT UNDER THE SEA (4/5)
NEW WORDS IN THE 1600s (5/5)
THE CIVIL WAR (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WE PREDICT YOUR HOROSCOPE (5/5)
WHERE'S THAT OPERA HOUSE? (4/5) (Alex: You name the city for us.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Colby: 14 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Blair: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Libby: 6 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Colby: $5,200
Blair: $1,200
Libby: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Libby Hunt is a retired consultant from Texas who is related to the late husband of a dear friend of mine.

Libby: Yes.

Alex: You are related to Allen Ludden.

Libby: Yes.

Alex: And did you get to spend time with him?

Libby: Absolutely, yes. Uh, he was from my--my hometown, and, uh, absolutely, we spent time with him. And, of course, before Password, he did GE College Bowl on television and on radio, so I think of that as the thinking person's game show before Jeopardy!

Alex: Oh. Thank you for including us.

[Laughs]

Alex: Colby Taylor, assistant professor of psychology in Mississippi. You went to Italy to take a course that had nothing to do with psychology, but it sounds like a fun course.

Colby: You know, it could be related in some ways. When I was finishing up my undergraduate degree, I had an opportunity to go to Italy to take wine appreciation.

Alex: Ah!

Colby: It was at 9:30 in the morning. Um, it was very educational.

[Laughter]

Alex: Yeah. What did you need for a passing grade? "I chugged down three bottles."

Colby: Yeah. Three bottles would get you a solid A-minus.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Blair Moorhead is our champion. You're a social worker. But once, you wanted to do more than just social work. You thought of becoming a pastor, didn't you?

Blair: Yeah, actually, that's something I'm still considering. I'm in the ordination process. Um, I also went to seminary. I did seminary and social work at the same time, because I think, you know, human mental health as well as spirituality go so much together.

Alex: You bet.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Colby found the Daily Double on the 16th clue. Blair had $1,200, Colby had $5,200, and Libby was at $800. Colby wagered $3,000.

THE CIVIL WAR $1000: U.S. Grant's initials came to stand for this after giving extremely limited capitulation terms to Gen. Buckner

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ENTERTAINMENT UNDER THE SEA $1000: SpongeBob SquarePants loves the TV show "The Adventures of Mermaid Man and" him

WHERE'S THAT OPERA HOUSE? $1000: Festspielhaus, in this double-talk town

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Colby: $11,600
Libby: $3,600
Blair: $2,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ROLE CALL (5/5) (Alex: We will give you a list of roles--characters--and you identify the film that featured those characters.)
SCIENCE (4/5)
WOMEN POETS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
VARIETY PACK (5/5)
11-LETTER WORDS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
FORT-ITUDE (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Colby: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Blair: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Libby: 7 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Colby snagged the next Daily Double on the 21st clue. Blair had $8,600, Colby had $20,000, and Libby was at $4,000. Colby wagered $3,000.

11-LETTER WORDS $1600: A dinner in appreciation & remembrance of one's past service or achievements
(Colby: What is a commemoration?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Libby who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Blair had $8,600, Colby had $17,000, and Libby was at $6,000. Libby wagered $3,000.

WOMEN POETS $1600: "In Exile" & "In the Jewish Synagogue at Newport" are 2 other poems by this woman who was put on a pedestal in N.Y.
(Libby: Who is... uh, I want to say Edith Wharton. I know that's not right.)
(Alex: ...the pedestal to the Statue of Liberty.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FORT-ITUDE $1200: While at Fort Riley in this state, visit the U.S. Cavalry Museum & the grave of Chief, the last cavalry horse

SCIENCE $2000: This type of pulse that follows a nuclear explosion is also a feared weapon on its own

11-LETTER WORDS $400: In 1965 astronaut Ed White became the first American this when he stepped out of his Gemini capsule for a 23-minute stroll

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Colby: $19,800
Blair: $10,600
Libby: $7,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BEATLES SONGS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Colby: Wager $1,401 to cover Blair, but no more than $4,999 so as not to fall behind Libby's doubled score.
Blair: You have the hope of surpassing Colby if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $9,201 to force Colby to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Libby.
Libby: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the Beatles songs on which Ringo Starr sang lead, this one charted the highest, reaching No. 2

FINAL SCORES
Libby: $7,400 - $7,398 = $2 (What is Get Back?) (3rd place)
Blair: $10,600 + $4,201 = $14,801 (What is Yellow Submarine?) (2nd place)
Colby: $19,800 - $1,401 = $18,399 (What is Hey Jude?) (New champion: $18,399)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Colby: $20,800, 25 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Blair: $10,600, 15 R, 1 W
Libby: $10,400, 13 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $41,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Colby: 25/60 = .417
Blair: 16/58 = .276
Libby: 13/59 = .220
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
"ROLL" CALL $800: While climbing into a cart in "Young Frankenstein", Gene Wilder is asked by Teri Garr if he'd like one of these
(Alex: And he got one, by the way.)

THE CIVIL WAR $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) General Winfield Scott wanted to blockade the South in a siege-like fashion, control the Mississippi River & strangle the Rebels in his plan named for this South American serpent

WE PREDICT YOUR HOROSCOPE $200: Born June 18, under this sign? Don't let your dual nature make you vacillate
(Colby: What is Pisces?)

SCIENCE $400: When Cassini takes pictures of this planet, stars aren't usually seen, due to the brightness of the rings

FORT-ITUDE $2000: In July 1864, while he was V.P., he served on active duty as a private at Fort McClary in Maine where he became camp cook
(Libby: Who is Andrew Johnson?)

11-LETTER WORDS $1200: It's a presentation of the complete set of inflected forms of a verb
(Blair: What is declension?)

11-LETTER WORDS $2000: Peter Lely's 17-century portraits from the English court were noted for daring in this part of the ladies' costume

VARIETY PACK $1600: According to Hawaiian legend, anyone who removes a piece of volcanic rock will be cursed by this fire goddess
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
unconditional surrender
Barnacle Boy
Baden-Baden
a testimonial
Emma Lazarus
Kansas
an electromagnetic pulse
spacewalker
"Yellow Submarine"
a roll in the hay
the Anaconda Plan
Gemini
Saturn
(Hannibal) Hamlin
conjugation
décolletage
Pele
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BEATLES SONGS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the Beatles songs on which Ringo Starr sang lead, this one charted the highest, reaching No. 2

Blair Moorhead: 10600+4201=14801
Colby Taylor: 19800-1401=18399 (New champ)
Libby Hunt: 7400-7398=2

Correct response:
Spoiler
”Yellow Submarine” (Colby – Hey Jude) (Libby – Get Back)

Daily Doubles
Colby: 5200+3000
Colby: 20000-3000
Libby: 6000-3000

Coryats
Blair: 10600
Colby: 20800
Libby: 10400

Combined: 41,800
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

:?

:?:

:!:

BAD WAGER
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Not a prayer. I have only the slightest clue of which Beatle sang which song. I couldn't tell you either of the ones Ringo sang.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Shockingly bad wager. :shock:

I considered Octopus's Garden, Act Naturally, and A Little Help from my Friends, but Yellow Submarine felt right to me, though I wouldn't say I was 100% sure.

Lazarus comes up enough that I got that DD in a category I was not strong at.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Another successful "I'm going to wager to lose!" plan. Was there any reasonable scenario where Blair could win with that wager?
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Elijah Baley wrote:Another successful "I'm going to wager to lose!" plan. Was there any reasonable scenario where Blair could win with that wager?
"We have a score change to make - during the commercial break, our judges took another look at a bunch of Colby's responses and decided they were wrong."
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

And here I thought the only thing to annoy me about this game would be wtf Shawshank and Crouching Tiger were doing in the bottom two boxes of Role Call. At least we know for sure that nope, yesterday wasn't a fluke, she simply doesn't know how to wager. Yesterday she focused on the leader and forgot about covering third, today she covered third, and forgot all about going for the win. Yikes.

Beatles songs? Double yikes. Oh, Ringo sang lead on some of them? That's nice. Which one hit #2? You must be joking.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $26,000
40 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :evil:
LT: Baden-Baden, spacewalker, Emma Lazarus (DD)

50/50/friggin' 90. I was between "With A Little Help From My Friends" and "Yellow Submarine." I thought of the former as the more popular song, but I really wish I had listened that voice in the back of my head saying, you know, that sure is a lot to write down in 30 seconds.

The new champ seems very formidable, but he wouldn't be the new champ if the old one had even the slightest idea of how to wager. She got away with it once, but not twice.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:Not a prayer. I have only the slightest clue of which Beatle sang which song. I couldn't tell you either of the ones Ringo sang.
Same here. I knew it wasn't Hey Jude since it came up yesterday and I think it was Paul.

I guess the cluewriters expected a different outcome last night with the rolltide.com clue. (sigh).

Not a good wager.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Yeah. Lucky guessing FTW. No TOM whatsoever, YEKIOYD. 47R. LT: Baden-Baden, Ft Riley = KS, spacewalker, EMP, Emma Lazarus (MDD). Also gave commemorate for testimonial (11; MDD). :roll:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Instaget FJ, then I talked myself out of it. "Wasn't it on that 1 album? That would mean Ringo didn't sing it... Guess it must be Octopus's Garden."
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Blair knew how to make the shutout bet against Libby. Unfortunately, she didn't consider what the outcome would be if Colby also knew how to make a shutout bet. Congrats to the new champ.

ObPeeve: If you don't know the grammar of 15th/16th century English, please don't try to write in it. You can't just toss in a thee or a thou and tack an -eth or an -est on the end of a verb or two and have it come out right. You sound like an idiot.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Had it between Octopus's Garden and the correct response. Chose the latter but too late.

Interesting that both incorrect guesses were Paul songs.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

econgator wrote:Not a prayer. I have only the slightest clue of which Beatle sang which song. I couldn't tell you either of the ones Ringo sang.

On The Beatles (a.k.a. the White Album), Ringo sings on Don't Pass Me By (also wrote) and the closing Goodnight (written by John, but intended for Ringo's voice).
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Elijah Baley wrote:Another successful "I'm going to wager to lose!" plan. Was there any reasonable scenario where Blair could win with that wager?
If Colby goes full Martian from the crush and then Blair wins the tiebreaker in which she's a 2-to-1 underdog?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

If you know enough Beatles to get that question right, you shouldn't be playing to lose.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Instagot Yellow Submarine. I could have got it if they had asked for the B-side of that single with just the information provided.
MDCSWildcats86 wrote:

On The Beatles (a.k.a. the White Album), Ringo sings on Don't Pass Me By (also wrote) and the closing Goodnight (written by John, but intended for Ringo's voice).
The Beatles tried to give Ringo at least one lead vocal track on every Beatle album. I think the only other American single he sang lead on the A-side was Matchbox.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Would this type of question be acceptable for any other band?

This is the highest charting "Who" song that John Entwistle provided vocals for?
This is the highest charting "U2" song that The Edge provided vocals for?
This is the highest charting "Simon and Garfunkel" song that Garkfunkel provided vocals for?