Tuesday, January 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ultraman
Valued Contributor

Re: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Ultraman »

I wrote Octopus' Garden then crossed it off and wrote Yellow Submarine. All before the key change, baby.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

OSXpert wrote:Would this type of question be acceptable for any other band?

This is the highest charting "Who" song that John Entwistle provided vocals for?
This is the highest charting "U2" song that The Edge provided vocals for?
This is the highest charting "Simon and Garfunkel" song that Garkfunkel provided vocals for?
I'd say the bottom one would be acceptable, and probably more gettable than tonight's clue.
Spoiler
Bridge Over Troubled Water
The other two, no way.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

OSXpert wrote:This is the highest charting "U2" song that The Edge provided vocals for?
Spoiler
Numb?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I got FJ, but I'm a pretty big Beatles fan (I also considered "Back in the USSR" and "Octopus's Garden.") The writers have had FJ clues on Beatles songs in the past, so the precedent was there, but I still thought that this clue was too specialized to be a FJ clue.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman: Blame the J! writers. Last night's result happened because the writers thought it would be cute to have a "Roll Tide" response this week. Any Clemson fans here to give their reaction to that clue?

Colby Taylor is the third player in the Archive with that first name. All three are J! champs. Parents to be: Keep that in mind when naming children.

"Yellow Submarine" was the only song I wrote for my FJ! response. It seemed right to me for a Ringo lead coupled with not hitting No. 1. My confidence level? Somewhere between 50-75%

Not that it helps anyone tonight, but it looks like "Octopus's Garden" did not hit the charts at all.

What kept "Yellow Submarine" from the top spot in 1966? "You Can't Hurry Love" by the Supremes.

Blair played for second place and got it. Colby thanks her while the rest of that day's taping pool may not be so grateful based on his strong debut.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

This is the highest charting "Who" song that John Entwistle provided vocals for?
This is the highest charting "Simon and Garfunkel" song that Garkfunkel provided vocals for?
The Beatles weren't any other band.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MDaunt wrote:

I personally think the Beatles were and are overrated (there, I said it), but I still agree fully with this.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

dhkendall wrote:
I personally think the Beatles were and are overrated (there, I said it), but I still agree fully with this.
Good lord, man, are you trying to get yourself banned?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Did I miss something or are the first commercial breaks *always* after clue 15 now? There used to be the odd time they weren't (I'd note it as an Archivist), but I can't remember the last time it wasn't. Anyone know? (And, if it was a tournament or other special game, anyone know the last regular play game that didn't break after #15?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Blair played for second place and got it. Colby thanks her while the rest of that day's taping pool may not be so grateful based on his strong debut.
And I noticed an expression of drained relief from Colby after Alex pronounced him the winner.
I think I heard Alex say "someone's happy" just after he announced the FJ category. It had to be Blair, since the other two couldn't even come up with a 'Ringo' song. This makes her wager all the more infuriating.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

FJ: I went with "It Don't Come Easy" even though I was pretty sure it was recorded post-breakup. In my defense, "It Don't Come Easy" was produced by Harrison, who also played guitar, and it reached #4 on the U.S. Billboard chart in1971.

Never considered "Yellow Submarine" because I thought it was an album cut, back when the Fab Four rarely released singles from albums. Turns out, it was included on Rubber Soul, but also released as a B-side of "Eleanor Rigby."

Fun trivia: Donovan contributed the lyric "Sky of blue and sea of green" and sang background vocals. One of the sound effects used was the cash register Roger Waters later included in Pink Floyd's "Money."
Last edited by Kenny on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

dhkendall wrote:Did I miss something or are the first commercial breaks *always* after clue 15 now? There used to be the odd time they weren't (I'd note it as an Archivist), but I can't remember the last time it wasn't. Anyone know? (And, if it was a tournament or other special game, anyone know the last regular play game that didn't break after #15?)
They broke after 14 on 12/26.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

Predicting Colby goes on to >100K. Wonder when Blair realized what she'd done? Seems to be a person that won't let it bother her.

I like music, know very little about musicians. My wife is constantly telling me what songs are about. I just think its a good song. So no idea on Yellow Submarine.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

opusthepenguin wrote:ObPeeve: If you don't know the grammar of 15th/16th century English, please don't try to write in it. You can't just toss in a thee or a thou and tack an -eth or an -est on the end of a verb or two and have it come out right. You sound like an idiot.
Agreed. That's my issue with that comic who dresses as Ben Franklin and says "thank ye, good to be hither".

Would love if the Beatles came up when I'm on, but I agree that this clue was too specialized. "A Little Help" is a comparably popular/well known recording, but like many other damned good Beatles tunes, it was never a single, A side or B.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Kenny wrote: Never considered "Yellow Submarine" because I thought it was an album cut, back when the Fab Four rarely released singles from albums. Turns out, it was included on Rubber Soul, but also released as a B-side of "Eleanor Rigby."

Revolver.
And Capitol Records pimped out whatever album tracks they felt would sell as singles, whether the Beatles had a say in it or not.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

dhkendall wrote:
MDaunt wrote:

Whether you like them or not, they were a cultural phenomenon that will probably never be replicated (Gangnam Style notwithstanding).
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

MDaunt wrote: The Beatles weren't any other band.
I 100% agree, and I'm a big Beatles fan. I was just curious.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'm not much of a music fan, but I agree the Beatles had a huge cultural impact that will never be matched.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Ultraman wrote:I wrote Octopus' Garden then crossed it off and wrote Yellow Submarine. All before the key change, baby.
waffled over Eleanor Rigby and A Littel HElp From Ur Friends but pretty sure they were just moderately popular hits. Pure guesswork, bah. :?
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

This is the highest-charting Monkees song that Micky Dolenz provided vocals for.