Wednesday, January 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7443, 2017-01-11

CONTESTANTS
Alain Norman, a foreign service officer from Silver Spring, Maryland
Zoey Orol, an attorney from New York, New York
Colby Taylor, an assistant professor of psychology from Olive Branch, Mississippi (whose 1-day cash winnings total $18,399)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, everyone. $18,399, and he missed Final Jeopardy! yesterday. Imagine what could've been. Zoey and Alain, welcome aboard. Good luck, players. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round comes first, as you know. It's an easier round, and today, you deal with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HBO, GO! (2/4)
THE BISHOP (5/5)
AUSTRALIANA (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MISSING LINKS (4/5)
LETTERS FROM WRITERS (4/5)
"L"THY FOOD (3/5) (Alex: Each correct response beginning with the letter L.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Colby: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Zoey: 6 R, 0 W
Alain: 5 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alain found the Daily Double on the 11th clue. Colby had $1,800, Zoey had $1,000, and Alain was at $600. Alain made it a True Daily Double, wagering $600.

AUSTRALIANA $600: The name of this state contains the name of a U.K. country
(Alex: That's right. You didn't have to ring in.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Zoey: $2,600
Alain: $1,800
Colby: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Alain Norman is a foreign service officer from Maryland. And you served as a political adviser on two U.S. Navy ships. What were the circumstances?

Alain: Well, as a foreign service officer, you occasionally get to help with other services. And I was assigned to, uh, ride on both the HSV Swift and the USNS Comfort, which is the Navy's ship.

Alex: Were you abroad, and that's why they needed a foreign policy adviser?

Alain: Yes, uh, they were in the Caribbean area. And you go and you help the commander with, uh, relations with the given country, wherever they're doing the ports of call.

Alex: Tough duty in the Caribbean, isn't it?

Alain: It was, but it was very interesting just before the Haitian earthquake.

Alex: Ah, okay.

Alex: Zoey Orol from New York, an attorney who makes her own ice cream.

Zoey: I do, that's right.

Alex: Favorite flavor?

Zoey: Coffee chip. I spent a whole summer perfecting the recipe for my coffee chip ice cream. My family were very happy guinea pigs.

Alex: Yeah, okay. Make them smile.

Alex: All right, Colby Taylor is our champion, folks. He's from Mississippi. And he proposed to his wife in a unique manner, I believe. Tell us about that.

Colby: Yes, I was, uh, completing an internship on the Island of Kauai for a year. And I had a standup paddleboard. And my soon-to-be wife came to visit me. And I wrote in painter's tape on the bottom of the paddleboard, "Will you marry me?" So when she unzipped the bag, she saw that. Um, she said yes, but I did get her middle name wrong when I proposed.

Alex: Oh! Oh, hello. Okay.

[Laughter]

Alex: But you're still together? Yeah, all right.

Colby: Happily married.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"L"THY FOOD $400: This super-stinky cheese originated in Belgium but now mostly comes from Germany

HBO, GO! $600: HBO viewers can get a piece of him as Spencer Strasmore on "Ballers"
(Colby: Who is LeBron James?)

"L"THY FOOD $1000: Mmm, this spreadable stuff

MISSING LINKS $1000: Feel the ____ hitter

LETTERS FROM WRITERS $600: To a kind critic:
"I'm not like my characters, given to vapors and swooning and 'states', but I was... in a 'state"'

HBO, GO! $800: (I'm Mad Men creator Matthew Weiner.) "Mad Men" was doubly rewarding for me; long before the show was made, my script was read by David Chase, who then put me on the staff of this HBO drama
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Colby: $4,800
Zoey: $4,600
Alain: $2,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SHAKESPEARE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
With a backdrop of war, the 1609 play titled “The History of” this pair takes place earlier than any Shakespeare history play

Colby Taylor: 10200-9401=799
Zoey Orol: 9400-5000=4400 (New champ)
Alain Norman: 6400-5000=1400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Troilus and Cressida (Colby – Tristen & Isolde) (Zoey – Antony and Cleopatra) (Alain – Anthony and Cleopatra)

Daily Doubles
Alain: 600+600
Colby: 9600+2000
Colby: 11600-3000

Coryats
Colby: 13200
Zoey: 9400
Alain: 6400

Combined: 29,000
MarkBarrett

Re: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

I feel like my Coryat was robbed of 4600 with HBO GO! & '80s N0. 1 ALBUMS 3 clues shy of completion when I was 7/7 in the ones played.

Fine, the players cannot identify Limburger, recognize liverwurst or get Father Flanagan. Not getting Beauty and the Beat by the Go-Go's though was one that had me head over heels.

I will guess that Alain is not a regular viewer of J! Things I noticed:
Spoiler
Elle Macpherson, Who is Elle Macpherson?
Let's make it a real Daily Double.
trying to ring in for his DD response
not always saying the category then the amount for clue selection
calling $12,000 then $1200 for a clue call
leaning posture
Alain and Zoey are new contestant first names for the Archive.

For the FJ! clue I had TGOV, R&J, T&C, and A&C. With those options I wrote T&C and felt like I had to be right unless I was missing some other pairing title play.

Colby lost the game when he did not solve the FJ! clue, but the real place he lost was not solving the gettable second box DD that wanted Oskar Schindler. $6000 more on the scoreboard and the the TS FJ! clue would not have mattered.

During think time the scan to Zoey's face had her looking comfortable and confident and I thought she had it right. She got the title though and that is what matters.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

How was Limburger a stand and stare? It's not like they were asking for Liederkranz again. I also got liverwurst and Schindler.

That Bold and Beautiful category was painful.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Is it me or are the crazy random FJ wagers getting to be even more crazy and random?

I'll be the first to admit that wagering would be a topic for serious review, but today seemed like an example of a not very complicated scenario. I just wonder what Zoey or Alain were thinking of in terms of strategy with their wagers.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:I will guess that Alain is not a regular viewer of J! Things I noticed:
Spoiler
leaning posture
You left out "constantly trying to put the buzzer back in its slot".

I had A&C and T&C to ponder. I know that A&C are 1st century BC and that would be some serious minutiae if T&C were also and you just had to know who came first, so T&C it was.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Well, if I got FJ! right yesterday despite not being very confident in my answer, I got it wrong today despite being a lot more confident. Antony and Cleopatra seemed like such an obvious answer, regardless of how wrong it turned out to be.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Luckily, they performed Troilus and Cressida in Central Park this last year, or I would have missed this one. I make it out to at least one of those every year, and besides being enjoyable, it has helped a lot during Jeopardy.

Antony and Cleopatra takes place after Julius Caesar, so that could have been a tip off that that one was wrong.

Surprised the champ missed Schindler.

Things that made me laugh:
Bold + Beautiful category
"Real Daily Double" + trying to buzz in .
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

TenPoundHammer wrote:How was Limburger a stand and stare? It's not like they were asking for Liederkranz again. I also got liverwurst and Schindler.

That Bold and Beautiful category was painful.
God I hate those 'soap opera characters read the clues' categories. I knew we weren't finishing the DJ round, and for that? Come ON...I was almost rooting against Colby just for going back to it again and again.

Why bet 5000? I mean, Alain looked so uncomfortable and unfamiliar with the game (I know some of it was nerves, but ringing in during a DD? Almost putting the buzzer down multiple times? I guess sometimes the practice game isn't enough), I would've eaten my shoe if he had bet 0. But still, 3 wins this week have changed hands because of suboptimal wagers...

Instaget FJ. If I had misread the clue and A&C was the answer I'd still be swearing at myself.
theamazingchong
Valued Contributor

Post by theamazingchong »

Most brutal game for me in a while. J! round was passable and it all fell apart in DJ!--glad I wasn't behind a podium for this game. The Bold & Beautiful category will no doubt be entertaining should I re-watch this episode, but I had a hard time staying focused while trying to play along.

For FJ!, I came up with A&C with about 5 seconds to spare, but I had a feeling the clue was looking for something more obscure.

I'm curious if Alain would have timed out on his DD if he kept trying to ring in. I know it's been 33 seasons, but I'm sure that would have been a first.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

theamazingchong wrote:I'm curious if Alain would have timed out on his DD if he kept trying to ring in. I know it's been 33 seasons, but I'm sure that would have been a first.
I was waiting on Alex's, "You don't need to ring in", that he always seems to give.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

Never get the Shakespeare FJs. Does anyone have data on what the %correct is for Shakespeare FJ? Maybe its my own bias, but I think I'd wager that I and my oppoenents were more likely to miss.

Tonight's another case where 3rd had almost nothing to gain by betting big. In this case max 400. Woulda coulda shoulda stolen a win here.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I will guess that Alain is not a regular viewer of J! Things I noticed:
Spoiler
leaning posture
You left out "constantly trying to put the buzzer back in its slot".

I had A&C and T&C to ponder. I know that A&C are 1st century BC and that would be some serious minutiae if T&C were also and you just had to know who came first, so T&C it was.
Oh, right, the buzzer action was another obvious thing. Good addition and way to go the right way with T&C.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

OSXpert wrote: Antony and Cleopatra takes place after Julius Caesar, so that could have been a tip off that that one was wrong.
Definitely this. It's kind of interesting that as I write this, admittedly very shortly after the game was aired here, this is the first comment to mention Julius Caesar. Everyone else so far, including 2/3 of the contestants, seems fixated on A&C and missing the very obvious Julius Caesar. I would have thought that anyone thinking of A&C would think of JC immediately thereafter and maybe go with that if they can't come up with the correct answer.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Near instaget. Knew it had to be Greek... thought briefly about Pericles of Tyre but that's only ONE character; 'during war' sounds like Trojan War > Troyus (Troius) + Cresside (Cressid; Cressida).

45R LT: limburger, liverwurst, Oskar Schindler (fleeting consdieration of Raoul Wallenberg, but he saved tens of thousands, not just 1200!), GoGo's Beauty & the Beast (IDK HTH I KNEW that!?!) LOL :lol:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Instaget FJ! I was grateful that Zooey won but I'd been rooting for the returning champ. I wasn't 100% sure it was Schindler because Wallenberg was a possibility although I guess there's no actual body. Great clues this game with the exception of The Bold & the Beautiful. Those were excessively easy clues plus the time wasted.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

FJ: I'm starting to suspect the writers are trying for triple stumpers. A Beatles clue asking for a Ringo Starr song, then a Shakespeare clue asking for probably the most arcane, least acclaimed play the Bard ever wrote.

Went with A&C because that was the only one I could think of with two names. Shakespeare is my worst category, though, so I wouldn't have wagered more than $100 or so.

Two pasta responses under "L" Food. And TS on Limburger as a smelly cheese shows none of them watched Pepe LePew cartoons when they were kids.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

danspartan wrote:Never get the Shakespeare FJs. Does anyone have data on what the %correct is for Shakespeare FJ? Maybe its my own bias, but I think I'd wager that I and my oppoenents were more likely to miss.
I found eleven Shakespeare-related FJs in regular-play games (not counting today's) since this board began. The contestants went a combined 16/33 (48.5%) and the weekly poll takers were 779/1263 (61.7%). The overall get rates during that time are about 48.0% for contestants and 61.6% for poll takers.

[updated after I found another clue]
Last edited by cheezguyty on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ultraman
Valued Contributor

Post by Ultraman »

Back-to-back writing the wrong answer, crossing it off and writing the correct one (this time a bit after the key change.) I think it was boardie ElendelPickle (sp) who mentioned some time ago that Trojan War = Troilus and Cressida. I ran through Shakespeare's pairs of older civilizations, et voila.