Wednesday, January 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

xxaaaxx wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: That Bold and Beautiful category was painful.
God I hate those 'soap opera characters read the clues' categories. I knew we weren't finishing the DJ round, and for that? Come ON...I was almost rooting against Colby just for going back to it again and again.
We miss five clues but no video category, not a peep. Miss three clues but there's a video category? BURN IT! BURN IT ALL DOWN!!
Hard to muster sympathy when you're not consistent about this. Two clues missed on Monday. Where was the outrage?

Also: I liked it. Nice, silly change of pace. This is still a TV show that lives or dies on ratings, not meat and potatoes no frills A&Q.
Kenny wrote:FJ: I'm starting to suspect the writers are trying for triple stumpers. A Beatles clue asking for a Ringo Starr song, then a Shakespeare clue asking for probably the most arcane, least acclaimed play the Bard ever wrote.
The FJ response wasn't Two Noble Kinsmen, so bit of hyperbole in the latter part there.

Insta FJ, then thought, "Wait, wasn't Antony and Cleopatra during a war? No, wait, Troilus happened during the Trojan War...smidgen earlier." Even if you couldn't get that far, A&C and Julius Caesar make the process of elimination easier. Good FJ. Multiple ways to attack it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Kenny
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Kenny »

davey wrote:
Kenny wrote:FJ: I'm starting to suspect the writers are trying for triple stumpers. A Beatles clue asking for a Ringo Starr song, then a Shakespeare clue asking for probably the most arcane, least acclaimed play the Bard ever wrote.
Not even close. You obviously didn't read the reviews from the Central Park version this past summer... ;)
Henry VI 1, 2, 3, Henry VIII, King John, Pericles, even Titus Andronicus - all less produced and more dreaded by critics and audiences.
But of course you never have to have sat through it to get this clue.
Haha, OK I'll defer to those of you who actually know about Shakespeare to decide if T&C was an arcane play. Like I said, it's my weakest category. (But there's no denying it was a TS.)

Like someone said about The Beatles yesterday, I find Shakespeare tedious and overrated, his inclusion as a frequent FJ topic notwithstanding.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

rpg wrote:
Nah. Come back when they start asking about Cymbeline or Coriolanus or something.
They did. ("C" a Play for $400).
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

It would seem I am the first to mention LT of gambrel.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

seaborgium wrote: and Titus and Ronicus, so I stuck with it.
Heh.
Kenny wrote: Like someone said about The Beatles yesterday, I find Shakespeare tedious and overrated, his inclusion as a frequent FJ topic notwithstanding.
Given your lack of familiarity with his works, what plays of his have you read? And what classical writers do you not consider "tedious and overrated"?

I'm not the biggest Shakespeare fan, and I don't care much for his comedies, but I've yet to come across a tragedy of his that wasn't at least good, and considering he wrote in the early 1600s, he was unquestionably a trailblazer and pioneer. (Think of how many works from then or earlier are seriously read and enjoyed today)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:It would seem I am the first to mention LT of gambrel.

Brian
My mom got that too. I jokingly said "What is a Red Barn restaurant?"
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I thought The Bold and the Beautiful category was entertaining. Got FJ, but I'm glad I didn't consider "Antony and Cleopatra." I'm pretty confident I still would have stuck with T&C, but it certainly would have muddied the waters.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Speaking of Julius Caesar, seriously writers? You take your clue about what river he crossed, put it behind the $2000 box and make it a DD? Yesterday you wanted Testimonial. Today you basically wanted to know whether you made a mistake in letting the contestant on the show.
Alea iacta est! 8-)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $33,200
45 R/4 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: limburger, The Rock, liverwurst, pinch, Bangladesh, Oskar Schindler (DD), Father Flanagan, IBM, The Go-Go's

I can appreciate the cheesiness of the soap opera category, but not at the expense of '80s music. NOT AT THE EXPENSE OF '80S MUSIC, PEOPLE!

Speaking of which, Zoey and Alain not having the sense to go to the bottom of '80s No. 1 Albums despite trailing and having received the LTAM warning several clues earlier drove me up the wall.
seaborgium wrote:I came up with Troilus and Cressida pretty quickly, but I wasn't sure whether it counted as a history play.
This is apparently a point of ambiguity. Quoth Wikipedia: "The Quarto edition labels it a history play with the title The Famous Historie of Troylus and Cresseid, but the First Folio classed it with the tragedies, under the title The Tragedie of Troylus and Cressida."
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

bpmod wrote:It would seem I am the first to mention LT of gambrel.

Brian
Maybe it can be your Tollund Man.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote:No, wait, Troilus happened during the Trojan War...smidgen earlier."
I'd say 1100 years is a smidgen more than a smidgen. :)
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

MattKnowles wrote:
I missed Limburger Cheese. I do bad on the cheese clues. There are way too many types of cheese we should probably just consolidate them.
Just can't cut it, huh?

I'm afraid I'm turning into TPH. I didn't recognize Elle Macpherson from the photo.
OCSam
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
I had A&C and T&C to ponder. I know that A&C are 1st century BC and that would be some serious minutiae if T&C were also and you just had to know who came first, so T&C it was.
I completely forgot A&C existed. Good thing too because when I saw Alain's answer I figured he was right as T&C I though was after them.

I found that "GAM" category incredibly hard (and usually the wordplay ones are wheelhouses!). Anyone else?

Man are all soap opera thespians that poor of an actor? It seems like every time they have soap opera actors delivering clues, no matter which one, they're all the same: overly dramatic for the exposition, sudden turn to look right at the camera for the meat of the clue.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

OSXpert wrote: "Real Daily Double" + trying to buzz in .
I'm wondering if he also meant to wager the maximum ($1000) and figured the catchphrase would cover that bet. (This is also something a regular viewer would know is false.)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote: Man are all soap opera thespians that poor of an actor? It seems like every time they have soap opera actors delivering clues, no matter which one, they're all the same: overly dramatic for the exposition, sudden turn to look right at the camera for the meat of the clue.
Unsure if serious... that's the joke...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

dhkendall wrote:I found that "GAM" category incredibly hard (and usually the wordplay ones are wheelhouses!). Anyone else?
Yes. It's my wheelhouse as well, and I only got $400 and $800. Even the $400 one was all TOM, as I couldn't have told you what "gambol" means.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote:
dhkendall wrote: Man are all soap opera thespians that poor of an actor? It seems like every time they have soap opera actors delivering clues, no matter which one, they're all the same: overly dramatic for the exposition, sudden turn to look right at the camera for the meat of the clue.
Unsure if serious... that's the joke...
Then it's far too subtle. (No, I didn't recognize the joke.)

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Believe it or not for FJ I went with Troilus And Andronicus.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

seaborgium wrote:Titus and Ronicus
Aw, I came here just to make that joke (well, to say it would have been a funnier wrong answer than Tristan and Isolde).

Stupid Wednesday game nights...
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Volante wrote:We miss five clues but no video category, not a peep. Miss three clues but there's a video category? BURN IT! BURN IT ALL DOWN!!
Hard to muster sympathy when you're not consistent about this. Two clues missed on Monday. Where was the outrage?
Not sure if serious...I've grumbled about it so often in the past it's not even funny (part of me still wants a damn timer on the screen), and they do it so often with no rhyme or reason behind it that it's practically not worth mentioning anymore. It's just blatantly obvious when there's a lenghty video category. But hey, at least some people enjoyed that cheese.