Wednesday, January 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium »

dinghammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:Titus and Ronicus
Aw, I came here just to make that joke (well, to say it would have been a funnier wrong answer than Tristan and Isolde).

Stupid Wednesday game nights...
If you'd been first, I probably would have been a jerk and posted that I made that joke during the 2012 Summer Hiatus Challenge.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

"gambol" was merriam-webster's word of the day yesterday.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

OrangeSAM wrote:
MattKnowles wrote:
I missed Limburger Cheese. I do bad on the cheese clues. There are way too many types of cheese we should probably just consolidate them.
Just can't cut it, huh?

I went to a cheese website after posting that comment and they have 89 pages of cheese varieties with 16 types of cheese each. I continue to insist that we reduce the number of cheeses to something manageable. I think 150 types of cheeses is sufficient.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

I was sure I had the right answer for FJ! but would have been negged because I said "Troyius" not "Troilus". I blame Star Trek.
Spoiler
There was an episode of TOS called "Elaan of Troyius".
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Elijah Baley wrote:Is it me or are the crazy random FJ wagers getting to be even more crazy and random?

I'll be the first to admit that wagering would be a topic for serious review, but today seemed like an example of a not very complicated scenario. I just wonder what Zoey or Alain were thinking of in terms of strategy with their wagers.
I wonder at what point (if ever) did Alain think to himself, "Hmmmmm, I could have won that game if I had wagered small!" And I wonder how hard he dope-slapped himself for failing to study wagering strategy 101. Oh well.

You're right. Both Alain and Zoey seemed to pick random amounts.

Meanwhile I got Limburger and Liverwurst for the stinkiest Lach Trash ever) plus IBM Selectric. (once again, being of a certain age...)

For FJ I thought for a nanosecond of Antony & Cleopatra but very quickly found Troilus and Cressida for another game won from the imaginary fourth podium. This game had some nice promise but the ending was just sad.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote:
bpmod wrote:It would seem I am the first to mention LT of gambrel.

Brian
Maybe it can be your Tollund Man.
So, you're a 1%er, huh?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Fun fact of the day for those who didn't know: QANTAS is an acronym for Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services (which explains the lack of a 'U').
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

dhkendall wrote:
econgator wrote:
I had A&C and T&C to ponder. I know that A&C are 1st century BC and that would be some serious minutiae if T&C were also and you just had to know who came first, so T&C it was.
I completely forgot A&C existed. Good thing too because when I saw Alain's answer I figured he was right as T&C I though was after them.
Also not sure if serious, you thought the Trojan war took placeafter the time of Anthony and Cleopatra? I believe Kirk said something similar above, I have to say I'm a little stunned.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MattKnowles wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:
MattKnowles wrote:
I missed Limburger Cheese. I do bad on the cheese clues. There are way too many types of cheese we should probably just consolidate them.
Just can't cut it, huh?

I went to a cheese website after posting that comment and they have 89 pages of cheese varieties with 16 types of cheese each. I continue to insist that we reduce the number of cheeses to something manageable. I think 150 types of cheeses is sufficient.
I watched Sharknado yesterday. Appropriately, I was eating cheese while I was watching it.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

jeff6286 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
econgator wrote:
I had A&C and T&C to ponder. I know that A&C are 1st century BC and that would be some serious minutiae if T&C were also and you just had to know who came first, so T&C it was.
I completely forgot A&C existed. Good thing too because when I saw Alain's answer I figured he was right as T&C I though was after them.
Also not sure if serious, you thought the Trojan war took placeafter the time of Anthony and Cleopatra? I believe Kirk said something similar above, I have to say I'm a little stunned.
I can't speak for them, but personally, I took a guess with Troilus and Cressida but I'll admit to not knowing the first thing about the time and place (although would have guessed Greece) - I just knew it was one of the few pairs in Shakespeare's titles. Granted, I think Shakespeare would be worth study before going on the show - there aren't that many works, really - but just off the top of my head, it's a shaky category. I still get confused with some of the ones that I've seen and can get The Comedy of Errors mixed up with Twelfth Night, etc. because he was prone to using some similar plot devices.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote:Also not sure if serious, you thought the Trojan war took placeafter the time of Anthony and Cleopatra? I believe Kirk said something similar above, I have to say I'm a little stunned.
Not me. I never considered Antony and Cleo. I said I was glad I didn't because then I'd need to decide which came first quickly. Given time to think about it it would be pretty clear which was earlier, but if I had just a couple seconds I'm not sure.

On a different subject, I don't think I've ever eaten Limburger cheese, but it's ubiquity as a stinky cheese in cartoons made that one pretty much a no-brainer!
artshep
Contributor

Post by artshep »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
dhkendall wrote:I found that "GAM" category incredibly hard (and usually the wordplay ones are wheelhouses!). Anyone else?
Yes. It's my wheelhouse as well, and I only got $400 and $800. Even the $400 one was all TOM, as I couldn't have told you what "gambol" means.
Coincidentally, the word "gambol" was the "M-W Word of the Day" (daily email from Merriam Webster) on the same day/morning of the show. Also, "gambrel" would be a well-known term for any deer hunters on the board. It's a coat-hanger-looking instrument (similar in shape to the roof they used for the visual) that's used to hoist deer for skinning and quartering. Without that context, definitely a tough category.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

seaborgium wrote:

Brian
Before I clicked that link, my thought was "Tollund Man who?" Shows how quickly I forget.
This Is Kirk! wrote:On a different subject, I don't think I've ever eaten Limburger cheese, but it's ubiquity as a stinky cheese in cartoons made that one pretty much a no-brainer!
This.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
davey

Post by davey »

earendel wrote:I was sure I had the right answer for FJ! but would have been negged because I said "Troyius" not "Troilus". I blame Star Trek.
Spoiler
There was an episode of TOS called "Elaan of Troyius".
Depending on how neatly you write you could very well get away with that. A dotted I could just be an l with a gap...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

OrangeSAM wrote:I'm afraid I'm turning into TPH. I didn't recognize Elle Macpherson from the photo.
I didn't either. But the clue sounded like it was about her. So I took a closer look and decided, yeah, that could be Elle.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote:On a different subject, I don't think I've ever eaten Limburger cheese, but it's ubiquity as a stinky cheese in cartoons made that one pretty much a no-brainer!
https://youtu.be/SlU07Zz8wxk
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote:
seaborgium wrote:

Brian
So, you're a 1%er, huh?
If you round up.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I knew Cleopatra died around 30 BC so that A&C took place after Julius Caesar. I was going to put the right play down but could not come up with its name.\

They have done the soap opera bit before and I really don't mind it if it isn't done too often. Yes, they are hamming it with the overacting on the drama. I use to watch a couple soaps years ago and they do tend to over dramatize things.

Count me as one who got limburger from years of cartoons.
beatlesfan317

Post by beatlesfan317 »

I noticed Alain kept kept putting the buzzer back in its slot too. Could just be a nervous habit.
Panic Mansion http://philome.la/beatlesfan317/panic-mansion is a combination of a trivia game and an action-rpg available to play online, in a web browser for free. You must answer questions and defeating bosses at the end of each level.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

My wife is notorious for pulling answers based on old TV shows. Just a couple days ago she was able to match a state to a town name (I forget the exact clue now) because she remembered it being mentioned in the TV show "Alice." My favorite one was years ago at a pub trivia game she was able to come up with Diogenes because he was mentioned in an episode of "Diff'rent Strokes."