Wednesday, January 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

beatlesfan317

Re: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by beatlesfan317 »

opusthepenguin wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:On a different subject, I don't think I've ever eaten Limburger cheese, but it's ubiquity as a stinky cheese in cartoons made that one pretty much a no-brainer!
https://youtu.be/SlU07Zz8wxk
Limberger is terrible. That's what Mark Twain's The Invalid's Story is about. They mistake the smell for a dead body.
Panic Mansion http://philome.la/beatlesfan317/panic-mansion is a combination of a trivia game and an action-rpg available to play online, in a web browser for free. You must answer questions and defeating bosses at the end of each level.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

FJ was an instaget, but I have to say I was thrown by "history" and kept thinking "wait, isn't this one a tragedy?" Antony and Cleopatra IS a tragedy, however, so I never considered that as a possibility. "History" in Shakespeare always conjures up Henrys and Richards and Johns, but never T&C. There's a Sporcle quiz where you have to name all the WS plays and I kept missing T&C so I've made a point to remember it. Never read it or seen it performed. Missed Shakespeare in the Park that year.

I was sooooo slow to pull out Rubicon, I'm afraid they might have buzzed me. I wonder how much time they allow for DD during taping, because sometimes when you're watching it seems to go on and on, while other times if they don't say something they get buzzed. I figure there's a set time limit but it can look variable due to editing. Anyone know?
thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by thenextofken »

MarkBarrett wrote:I feel like my Coryat was robbed of 4600 with HBO GO! & '80s N0. 1 ALBUMS 3 clues shy of completion when I was 7/7 in the ones played.

Fine, the players cannot identify Limburger, recognize liverwurst or get Father Flanagan. Not getting Beauty and the Beat by the Go-Go's though was one that had me head over heels.
Maybe you need a Vacation.
cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cthulhu »

I knew Limburger cheese because it was a plot point in one of the wonderful "Brains Benton" mysteries I read when I was a kid. (Those were great books, chock-full of interesting trivia and well written to boot; Joe and Frank were nothing compared to Brains and Jimmy!) And "Troilus and Cressida" was near-instaget for me; knew it couldn't be A&C because that was set later than "Julius Caesar".
Magnoliasims
Contributor

Post by Magnoliasims »

Better late than never. Catching up on episodes I taped -- yes, taped -- and hadn't watched earlier.

Re: Rubicon
Song "Is Anybody There? from Broadway show "1776"

Is anybody there?
Does anybody care?
Does anybody see what I see?

They want me to quit; they say
John, give up the fight
Still to England I say
Good night, forever, good night!
For I have crossed the Rubicon
Let the bridge be burned behind me
Come what may, come what may

Commitment!

The croakers all say we'll rue the day
There'll be hell to pay in fiery purgatory
Through all the gloom, through all the gloom
I see the rays of ravishing light and glory!

Is anybody there?
Does anybody care?

I see fireworks! I see the pageant and
Pomp and parade
I hear the bells ringing out
I hear the cannons roar
I see Americans - all Americans
Free forever more

How quiet, how quiet the chamber is
How silent, how silent the chamber is

Is anybody there?
Does anybody care?

First saw the show three times in the late 1960s starring William Daniels as John Adams and then again in 1997 with Brent Spiner starring
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Interestingly, J! altered the $800 HBO, GO! clue in today's Daytime J! repeat of this episode so instead of having Matthew Weiner read it (and have the longer text that appears in the Archive), Alex reads the clue and it reads:
HBO, GO! $800 wrote:Mad Men creator Matthew Weiner got one of his first big breaks when David Chase put him on the staff of this HBO drama
It seems to be a voice over (which made me suspicious when I first heard it that something was up) as well as the line spacing is ever so slightly off, and seeing Matthew Weiner's name in the clue, made me think it was originally a clue he read, and with his recent sexual assault allegations, TPTB probably thought it best to not have him appear on the show (at least in reruns). Nice that they decided soon after the allegations hit, and decided on this as the solution.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Joe Biden once hosted a category. When the episode aired again, it was election season so Alex read the clues instead.