Tuesday, January 17, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7447, 2017-01-17

CONTESTANTS
Pete Tachibana, a bartender from North Highlands, California
Andrea Keppers, a history educator from Denver, Colorado
John Avila, an attorney from Arlington, Virginia (whose 1-day cash winnings total $14,001)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, everyone. John Avila, our champion, plays the sousaphone. You heard that on yesterday's program. At the end of yesterday's program, he told me that he might use some of his $14,000 in winnings to buy a new sousaphone. Those things are expensive. Andrea and Pete, I don't know what you will use your winnings for. If you win the game, you'll have a lot, we hope. Good luck, let's find out.

Here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SOMETHING TO READ (5/5)
SCRAMBLED KEGS (2/5) (Alex: You're dealing with anagrammed beer brands.)
SHADES OF YELLOW (5/5)
COLLEGE FOOTBALL HISTORY (5/5)
THE CONSTITUTION (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PRE-AMBLE (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response will be a word that comes before "amble" in the dictionary.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 16 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Andrea: 5 R, 1 W
Pete: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
John found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. John had $3,000, Andrea had $600, and Pete had nothing in the bank. John made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,000.

THE CONSTITUTION $800: Amendment XII: "The ____ shall meet in their respective states and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
John: $7,000
Andrea: $600
Pete: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Pete Tachibana is a bartender from North Highlands, California. That beer category's tough! Couldn't they come up with something like Coors?

Pete: That's what I was expecting.

Alex: Yeah. You are a doer of good deeds with regard to blood donation.

Pete: Yes.

Alex: Tell me how much blood you have given over the years.

Pete: One donation away from 13 gallons.

Alex: Holy smokes! What blood type are you?

Pete: O-positive.

Alex: O-positive. Is that the universal donor?

Pete: O-negative is.

Alex: O-negative. Okay.

Alex: Andrea Keppers is a history educator from Colorado. You are an educator for parks and open space system. I don't know what that is. What does that mean?

Andrea: Well, the county where I work is right in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. And they have a system of open space parks with a lot of historic sites, ruins, ranch houses. And I get to go out in the parks and tell people about those historical sites.

Alex: Well, good for you. It's like being a docent, in other words.

Andrea: It is. It's paid, however.

Alex: How nice.

Andrea: Yes.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: John Avila, an attorney from Arlington, Virginia. This man is not only bright, he is athletic. He had a varsity letter that he earned in high school in...

John: Girls' basketball.

[Laughter]

John: One of my favorite teachers was the head coach, and I started doing P.A. announcing, and I was also the statistician for the boys' and the girls' team. And at the end of the year I got invited to the banquet for varsity athletes and was awarded a varsity letter in girls' basketball. For excellence in P.A. announcing and actually broadcasting on public access TV.

Alex: Great claim to fame.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SCRAMBLED KEGS $400: Perfect for award season:
PROBABLE BIB NUTS

SCRAMBLED KEGS $600: Out with the old:
CLEAN STEW

SCRAMBLED KEGS $800: Tonight is kind of special:
NEW LABOUR

PRE-AMBLE $1000: Robert Herrick rhymed, "Against diseases here the strongest fence / is the defensive virtue", this one
(Andrea: What is the best defense?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
John: $11,400
Andrea: $2,600
Pete: $1,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE ANCIENT WORLD (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LETTER PERFECT (2/5)
A TRIPLE FEATURE (4/5)
COMPOSERS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
STATE PARKS (5/5)
ODD COMBINED RESPONSES (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 13 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Andrea: 7 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Pete: 4 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Pete snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. John had $11,400, Andrea had $2,600, and Pete was at $1,800. Pete made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,800.

THE ANCIENT WORLD $800: Don't be phobic about giving us this name for the central market & meeting place of many ancient Greek cities

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Andrea who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 8th clue. John had $14,200, Andrea had $3,400, and Pete was at $3,600. Andrea made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,400.

COMPOSERS $1600: This German-born composer wrote 4 coronation anthems for Britain's George II

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COMPOSERS $2000: The letters of this composer's last name have been used as a musical theme, including in his own "Art Of The Fugue"

LETTER PERFECT $1200: Before "p" it was the British abbreviation for a penny or pence

ODD COMBINED RESPONSES $1600: 5-letter synonym for "person" + blows thrown with your south paw
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

LETTER PERFECT $1600: In classical Latin, "V" was said like this other letter in the text now appearing on the screen

A TRIPLE FEATURE $2000: Joanne Woodward won an Oscar for playing a Georgia housewife with multiple personalities in this 1957 film
(Pete: What is Sybil?)

LETTER PERFECT $2000: The element that can glow in the dark and has atomic number 15 is symbolized by this letter
(Alex: What glows in the dark? Phosphorous. And it's symbolized by [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
John: $24,600 (lock game)
Andrea: $11,200
Pete: $2,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PLAYS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
John: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Andrea: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $6,399 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Pete: You've no hope of catching up... unless Andrea does something stupid. So risk $2,399.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This play was derived from a 1565 story, "Un Capitano Moro"

FINAL SCORES
Pete: $2,400 - $2,400 = $0 (What is ?) (3rd place)
Andrea: $11,200 + $0 = $11,200 (What is Othello?) (2nd place)
John: $24,600 - $400 = $24,200 (What is a Dead Captain??) (14002-day champion: $24,200)
(Alex: [To Andrea] "A Moorish Captain".)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
John: $22,400, 29 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Andrea: $9,400, 12 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Pete: $1,400, 9 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $33,200

BATTING AVERAGES
John: 29/59 = .492
Andrea: 13/59 = .220
Pete: 9/59 = .153
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
COLLEGE FOOTBALL HISTORY $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew gives the clue from the College Football Hall of Fame.) The belt here had little handles, so other players could lock arms and move down the field in one of these formations, later outlawed by the NCAA due to death and injury
(Pete: What is a scrum?)

SHADES OF YELLOW $800: The wildflower and copy paper color seen here

THE ANCIENT WORLD $1600: In the "Bingfa" or "Art of War", this Chinese general laid out his battle strategies
(Andrea: Who is Lao Tzu?)

STATE PARKS $1200: Fort Boonesborough State Park
(Pete: What is Tennessee?)

THE ANCIENT WORLD $2000: Zoomorphic gods of ancient Egypt included this canine-headed one, who was prominent during the old kingdom

A TRIPLE FEATURE $800: The contestant seen here is demonstrating the salute from this 1986 Martin-Short-Chase comedy

ODD COMBINED RESPONSES $800: Army rank immediately above private 1st class + hopping marsupial of the family Macropodidae
(John: What is captain kangaroo?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Electors
Pabst Blue Ribbon
Newcastle
Lowenbrau
abstinence
agora
(George Frederick) Handel
Johann Sebastian Bach
d
human lefts
W
The Three Faces of Eve
P
Othello
the flying wedge
goldenrod
Sun Tzu
Kentucky
Anubis
The Three Amigos
corporal kangaroo
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PLAYS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This play was derived from a 1565 story, “Un Capitano Moro”

John Avila: 24600-400=24200 (2X = $38,201)
Andrea Keppers: 11200+0=11200
Pete Tachibana: 2400-2400=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Othello (John – A Dead Captain) (Pete - ?)

Daily Doubles
John: 3000+3000
Pete: 1800+1800
Andrea: 3400+3400

Coryats
John: 22400
Andrea: 9400
Pete: 1400

Combined: 33,200
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Markeith Loyd was just caught, so I get to have 2/3 of the game pre-empted for the talking head to drone on for 20 minutes and showing us the same damn videos over and over again.

And now it looks like the Chief of Police will have a news conference at 8:30, so there will be absolutely nothing on TV tonight other than this crap.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Capitan Moro -> Morose Captain -> Captain Ahab -> Moby Dick -> That's not a play -> Uh oh.
theamazingchong
Valued Contributor

Post by theamazingchong »

I wasn't a fan of the Odd Combined Responses category. Normally, I like the quirky final categories (Before and After is near and dear to my heart), but this category seemed unnecessarily abstruse. I was pleasantly surprised to see the players move speedily through both boards, though; this felt like the best-paced game in the past couple of weeks.

LT on Pabst Blue Ribbon (along with a couple others I don't remember)--helps to be not that far out of college. ;)

No clue on FJ. I need to brush up on my Shakespeare.
Last edited by theamazingchong on Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had the right author for FJ, but the wrong play. I had The Tempest.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Andrea not taking a guess on that final clue was painful. Wouldn't matter if she guessed wrong, but guessing right would've given her a shot to win. Even more painful since she was the only one to get Final! right.

As for me, guessed HMS Pinafore. Never considered Shakespeare at all.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

INstaget FJ and surprised to see it a a TS. Illogical bet on a runaway game, why offer a tie? No possible advantage whatsoever. Here's a contestant who proved she could challenge you in open play and you offer to let her catch you so you can... what, to give her another chance to beat you? I'll take the unknown player in the green room, please! Now 17 FJs and counting, will I beat my record?! :o

47R; surprised myself on the wordplay puzzles as I usually don't catch them fast enough. LT: "d"-penny (did you ever go to the hardware store with Dad and notice how the nails are sorted by weights, printed as 4d, 6d, 8d, etc etc? That's 'pennyweight'! Still in use in my hometown Mom&Pop..; In German V = W in sound...' 1957; 3 Faces of Eve; P = Phosphous (luminescent); FJ.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Bamaman wrote:I had the right author for FJ, but the wrong play. I had The Tempest.
Me too. Got to Captain and stopped.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

goatman wrote:INstaget FJ and surprised to see it a a TS. Illogical bet on a runaway game, why offer a tie? No possible advantage whatsoever. Here's a contestant who proved she could challenge you in open play and you offer to let her catch you so you can... what, to give her another chance to beat you? I'll take the unknown player in the green room, please! Now 17 FJs and counting, will I beat my record?! :o
A couple of things...

He didn't offer a tie, you may want to double check your math.

There are no longer co-champions, had they tied there would have been a tiebreaker clue, so the unknown player in the green room isn't really a factor.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Poor Andrea was just $1100 short of preventing a runaway and having a chance at winning with a sole FJ get. With the trend of awful wagers from 2nd and 3rd lately, we might not ever find out if she would have known to wager enough to catch John. The zero wager casts doubt IMHO.

LT on Pabts Blue Ribbon and Lowenbrau
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Vowela wrote:As for me, guessed HMS Pinafore. Never considered Shakespeare at all.
Me too.

If there's a box for "I thought moro meant dead" in the weekly poll, I'll be checking it. I'm not sure what that has to do with HMS Pinafore, but it's not like the captain was never sick at sea.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

OSXpert wrote:Capitan Moro -> Morose Captain -> Captain Ahab -> Moby Dick -> That's not a play -> Uh oh.
Moby Dick briefly crossed my mind as well, but I knew it had to be wrong.

Needless to say, I didn't come up with the correct response.

Of the DDs, I surprisingly, and quickly, got Handel.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

jeff6286 wrote:
goatman wrote:INstaget FJ and surprised to see it a a TS. Illogical bet on a runaway game, why offer a tie? No possible advantage whatsoever. Here's a contestant who proved she could challenge you in open play and you offer to let her catch you so you can... what, to give her another chance to beat you? I'll take the unknown player in the green room, please! Now 17 FJs and counting, will I beat my record?! :o
A couple of things...

He didn't offer a tie, you may want to double check your math.

There are no longer co-champions, had they tied there would have been a tiebreaker clue, so the unknown player in the green room isn't really a factor.
Also, not a TS. Andrea got it right.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Bamaman wrote:I had the right author for FJ, but the wrong play. I had The Tempest.
Ditto.
That beer category was tough.
Blurted out K for phosphorus instead of P. That's a costly mistake.
Surprised to see composers category so soon ... Wasnt it last week only?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $30,200
43 R/4 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Pabst Blue Ribbon, Newcastle, Lowenbrau, abstinence, human lefts, P

I tried for several seconds to figure out what play might be about a dead captain, but I eventually came to peace with the fact that "Moro" must mean "Moorish."

Two costly slips of the tongue for me with Saarinen for Sibelius and Afternoon Special instead of Afterschool Special.

I often wonder about brands that were once ubiquitous but then disappeared. Lowenbrau is one of those.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCu-D4ehac4
Sprinkles are for winners.
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

Disappointed that the lady in second place didn't buzz in for the final clue. The answer was a single letter, so there was a 1 in 26 chance (or even lower with any basic knowledge of elements) of getting within 50% of the leader.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

Me too. I mistranslated it as "A dead captain" and took a guess.
Teems with quiet fun.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Hey! Let me make my own post. :) Obviously just based on page 1 here that will be a poll choice. I'll see if I work in "Moro" or not.

econgator -
Spoiler
this worked for me to see it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9pBjm ... d1TlE/view

As often happens the thumbnail is a scoreboard spoiler, so just click in the middle and avoid catching any details.
That was cool for James Arey to get that clue appearance doing his ¡Three Amigos! move. He was around on one of the older official message board incarnations and I've seen him post on FB, so I'm sure he either saw it or heard about it.

Writers: I'll take 2017 contestants having a TS clue over hand-holding. Victor Herbert's Babes in _______
Make the contestants earn the money even when it's just $1200. Either full title or the composer's name himself.