Wednesday, March 14, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6333, 2012-03-14

CONTESTANTS
Michael Gurshtein, a thin films engineer from Thornton, Colorado
Rebecca Blustein, an academic consultant originally from Oakland, California
Patrick Antle, a graduate student in chemistry from Billerica, Massachusetts (whose 1-day cash winnings total $22,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert, and thank you, ladies and gentlemen. You've gotta love a champion who not only enjoys winning the game but shows it. I like to see that. Rebecca and Michael, you're gonna have to work hard to replace him. Good luck. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round. And now these categories to be revealed...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IVY LEAGUE SCHOOLS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
LOOK OUT BELOW (5/5)
AMERICAN FOOD (4/5)
THE SPLENDID LITTLE WAR (4/5)
ALSO A GIRL'S NAME (4/5)
SINGERS IN SONGS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Patrick: 14 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Rebecca: 5 R, 0 W
Michael: 7 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Michael found the Daily Double on the 8th clue. Patrick had $2,000, Rebecca was scoreless, and Michael was at $1,600. Michael wagered $800.

IVY LEAGUE SCHOOLS $600: This school plays its home football games at Franklin Field
(Michael: What is Yale?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Patrick: $6,000
Rebecca: $600
Michael: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Michael Gurshtein is a thin films engineer. I don't know what that means.

Michael: Uh, that means that I coat laser optics, uh, so any sort of laser systems that are used in medical fields, military fields, are coated at some point by somebody like me, uh, using vacuum chambers.

Alex: I see. So it's the newest kind of technology, obviously.

Michael: Yeah. Yeah.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Rebecca Blustein. Here's a bit of information that is a bit tricky, ladies and gentlemen. Rebecca was present at the funeral of the last czar of Russia. The last czar of Russia was Nicholas II, and he and his family were executed in the early 1900s, but--you finish the story.

Rebecca: They were reburied in St. Petersburg and--they found the, uh, bones, and they reburied them in St. Petersburg. In 1998, and I happened to be spending the summer in St. Petersburg on a student journalism exchange program. And I was there.

Alex: They reburied them. Were there a lot of people there to memorialize the event?

Rebecca: Great pomp and circumstance, a procession through the city streets. Um, so I did not, in fact, need a time machine to--

Alex: You were a witness to history. Good for you.

Alex: Patrick Antle, from Massachusetts, has a third-degree black belt in American kenpo karate?

Patrick: Yes, that it is.

Alex: What's--what is kenpo?

Patrick: Uh, it's a really vicious and brutal style of karate.

Alex: Is that the one where you break things with your hand?

Patrick: We--we sometimes do, you know, ice, stone, cars, you know, whatever is available.

Alex: Didn't you once break a board with your head?

Patrick: No. No. This was--I was holding a board for a big guy in our class.

Alex: Oh.

Patrick: We call him the Man of Steel...Copyright--DC Comics. ([Laughter]) And he went right through the board, and it went right through to my face. I had slashes all over me for a couple weeks. But I forgave him.

[Laughter]

Alex: I would, too, if he was that powerful. [Laughs]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AMERICAN FOOD $1000: This trademarked Louisville chocolate nut dessert derives its name from being served on the first Saturday in May

THE SPLENDID LITTLE WAR $800: African-American troops known as this animal type of "soldiers" played an important role in combat in Cuba
(Alex: They were the famous [*], with a minute to go now, Patrick.)

ALSO A GIRL'S NAME $1000: It's a type of expansion bolt used to hang heavy objects on a hollow wall

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Patrick: $9,400
Rebecca: $2,600
Michael: $1,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE TEMPLE AT JERUSALEM (5/5)
WOMEN DIRECTORS (3/3)
A DAZZLING INTERNAL ORGAN SOLO (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: That's strange.)
NATIONAL BOOK AWARD WINNERS (5/5)
THEY GO BY THIER FIRST INITIAL (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) [ERRATUM: "Their" was misspelled as shown.]
A "WHEY" WITH PUNS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Michael: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Rebecca: 8 R, 0 W
Patrick: 8 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Michael snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Patrick had $9,000, Rebecca had $2,600, and Michael was at $1,800. Michael wagered $2,000.

THEY GO BY THIER FIRST INITIAL $1200: H is for Henry:
Billionaire who had a Reform Party
(Alex: You can risk up to $2,000.)
(Michael: Well, in case I never get the chance, let's go $2,000.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Patrick who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. Patrick had $13,000, Rebecca had $5,400, and Michael was at $9,800. Patrick wagered $5.

A DAZZLING INTERNAL ORGAN SOLO $2000: (I'm Dr. Oz.) One reason to always wear your seat belt is for the protection of this organ under the diaphragm, which creates vital antibodies
(Patrick: Just in case I don't get a chance to say this--$5.)
[Laughter]
(Alex: Are you trying to be funny, Patrick?)
(Patrick: I'm not. This is deadly serious.)
(Alex: Don't worry about it. I joke with you.)
(Patrick: What is the thyroid gland?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THEY GO BY THIER FIRST INITIAL $2000: E is for Everette:
Sent to prison for Watergate

A DAZZLING INTERNAL ORGAN SOLO $1600: Our tour now hits the islets of Langerhans, which carry out the endocrine functions of this pear-shaped gland
(Michael: What is the pituitary?)
(Patrick: What is the adrenal gland?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Patrick: $13,795
Michael: $13,000
Rebecca: $9,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY NAMES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Patrick: Wager $12,206 to cover Michael.
Michael: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Rebecca, hoping that you give the correct response and Patrick doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $6,601 to cover Rebecca's doubled score, but no more than $11,410 if you want to top Patrick on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $3,199 and win if both Patrick and Rebecca miss Final.
Rebecca: You ought to try wagering between $3,201 and $3,400. This will top a $0 wager by Michael while still beating Patrick and Michael on the Triple Stumper (should Patrick wager to cover Michael's doubled score and Michael wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Chapters in his autobiography include "Outcaste", "First Day in Pretoria" & "Fasting as Penance"

FINAL SCORES
Rebecca: $9,800 - $5,000 = $4,800 (Who is Mandela?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Michael: $13,000 + $12,000 = $25,000 (Who is Mohandas K Gandhi?) (New champion: $25,000)
Patrick: $13,795 - $13,000 = $795 (Who is Des Desmond Tutu?) (3rd place: $1,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Patrick: $13,800, 22 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Michael: $13,000, 16 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Rebecca: $9,800, 13 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $36,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Patrick: 22/59 = .373
Michael: 17/60 = .283
Rebecca: 13/58 = .224
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
LOOK OUT BELOW $200: A railroad causeway cuts this Utah lake in half, causing red algae to grow on one side & green algae on the other side

LOOK OUT BELOW $400: You can see the fall colors around this largest city in Maine

LOOK OUT BELOW $600: More than 30 years after it erupted in Washington State, you can see still see the blast & debris zone from this volcano

LOOK OUT BELOW $800: Take a look at the Three Gorges Dam--the world's largest--& the reservoir it created in this country
(Michael: What is Egypt?)

LOOK OUT BELOW $1000: A photo from the Space Station shows an umbral shadow across Turkey, caused by this phenomenon

AMERICAN FOOD $400: In the South, soups, greens, & bean dishes get added flavor from this part of the pig, referred to by an alliterative name

AMERICAN FOOD $800: Juice, jellies, & jams are made with this American fruit variety seen here

THEY GO BY THIER FIRST INITIAL $800: J is for Julius:
Los Alamos guy
(Patrick: Who is Julius Rosenberg?)

A "WHEY" WITH PUNS $400: To paraphrase Sinatra, "the constituent of dairy products which I possess"
[Audience laughter]

WOMEN DIRECTORS $400: In 2010, Kathryn Bigelow finally broke the male hold on the directing Oscar, winning for this film
(Alex: Good, with less than a minute to go.)

WOMEN DIRECTORS $1200: Charlize Theron wowed the critics by playing against type as a serial killer in this 2003 film directed by Patty Jenkins
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
the University of Pennsylvania
Derby Pie
Buffalo Soldiers
a molly bolt
Ross Perot
the spleen
E. Howard Hunt
the pancreas
Gandhi
the Great Salt Lake
Portland
Mount St. Helens
China
an eclipse
ham hock
Concord grapes
(J. Robert) Oppenheimer
my whey
The Hurt Locker
Monster
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Austin Powers »

I thought it was incredibly inappropriate of the champ to urinate on the first podium and announce that he was "marking my territory."
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

anyone has a link where I can watch recent/today's episodes?

Thanks
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ugh, a clue on Moves Like Jagger. That song sucks.

Holes was my only get in the Book category. Should I know that Hemingseseseseses name?

There's a Mohandas Gandhi? I didn't know that. I thought "Gandhi" by itself usually referred to Indira.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Was there a reason they threw the "Pretoria" chapter in there? "Outcaste" mad me think India, "Pretoria" made me think Mandela and I picked the wrong one. Dammit.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Holes was my only get in the Book category. Should I know that Hemingseseseseses name?
The supposed mistress of Thomas Jefferson.
There's a Mohandas Gandhi? I didn't know that. I thought "Gandhi" by itself usually referred to Indira.
There are many Gandhis. By itself, Gandhi always refers to Mohandas K. Gandhi.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

TenPoundHammer wrote:There's a Mohandas Gandhi? I didn't know that. I thought "Gandhi" by itself usually referred to Indira.
You've been doing this far too long to show your cards like that.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

econgator wrote:Was there a reason they threw the "Pretoria" chapter in there? "Outcaste" mad me think India, "Pretoria" made me think Mandela and I picked the wrong one. Dammit.
Gandhi lived in India, I knew it was huge negbait and expected two of the responses to be Mandela.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Austin Powers wrote:Gandhi lived in India, I knew it was huge negbait and expected two of the responses to be Mandela.
Why even include it then? It's a poorly written clue if that's the only reason they stuck it in there.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

econgator wrote:Was there a reason they threw the "Pretoria" chapter in there? "Outcaste" mad me think India, "Pretoria" made me think Mandela and I picked the wrong one. Dammit.
I think it's pretty well known that he spent a significant amount of his life in South Africa. I thought that, plus caste, plus fasting, made it pretty easy, was surprised people were thrown off by Pretoria alone.

I was impressed by the men for getting through the whey category so well. Nice game overall.

Also, fistpump again.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I was unhappy the champ lost, his opponents slavishly went to the top of the board with time dwindling and you could tell by his reaction that he was happy to hold on. Also, I wanted to see his dance moves.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

lisa0012 wrote:I think it's pretty well known that he spent a significant amount of his life in South Africa.
Not by me it isn't .....
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

econgator wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:Gandhi lived in India, I knew it was huge negbait and expected two of the responses to be Mandela.
Why even include it then? It's a poorly written clue if that's the only reason they stuck it in there.
I actually, reflexively, said Mandela initially, but "Outcaste" shouted India, and the "Penance by Fasting" suggested a religiously dictated fast. It's certainly a tougher than normal FJ, but I don't think it is as tough as knowing Hallmark is located in Kansas City. Look at it this way - if it was Mandela, basically all you'd need to know is that Pretoria is in South Africa. If it was Tutu, then you've got a coin flip with Mandela, and that's hardly a great question.
alamble

Post by alamble »

13 comments in and no one has mentioned the obvious typo in one of the DJ! categories? Bad form, writers. BAD FORM.
Should I know that Hemingseseseseses name?
Sally Hemings was one of Thomas Jefferson's slaves and he is believed to have fathered several of her children. Yes, you should know who she is.
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

econgator wrote:
It kept me from saying the Dalai Lama (the current one). OK confession time: It should have kept me from saying him. I dismissed Mandela and sort of hoped the Dalai Lama visited S.A. some time.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

Well, it looks like I was wrong about Patrick being a multi-game champion.

I always wanted to be a contestant who made a five dollar DD wager while ahead. I wonder when, if ever, was the last time someone did that.

Did anyone notice the glaring spelling error in one of the categories? I saw thier instead of their.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I lost out on the 50 50 90 guess between Mandela and Gandhi. Mandela was my first instinct, but I also went with him because I remember there being a FJ clue on Gandhi pretty recently.

I liked this board but it did not like me. I am not sure if it was objectively hard, it may have just attacked my weaknesses.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Austin Powers wrote:
econgator wrote:
Austin Powers wrote: Look at it this way - if it was Mandela, basically all you'd need to know is that Pretoria is in South Africa. If it was Tutu, then you've got a coin flip with Mandela, and that's hardly a great question.
The writers have no problem writing clues that are coin flips. In a regular game I think that someone who watches the show consistently should know to go with Mandela; in a ToC game I could see the clue being an unfair coin flip between Tutu and Mandela.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Frank Hardy wrote:I always wanted to be a contestant who made a five dollar DD wager while ahead. I wonder when, if ever, was the last time someone did that.
Hell, when was the last $5 wager, PERIOD? I don't recall any in the last several years.