2017 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Blue Lion »

Exorcism is the only sport in which time of possession is the most important statistic.

I'll see myself out.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Blue Lion wrote:
Exorcism is the only sport in which time of possession is the most important statistic.

I'll see myself out.
Blatty game show connection.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xrnzDMbFHkY
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-c ... SKBN14Z04H
The Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey circus said on Saturday it will cease performances [in May] after 146 years in business, owing to what it said were declining tickets sales and high operating costs.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante

Post by Volante »

Gene Cernan, last man to walk on the moon, has died.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38641121

Damn you, xkcd... https://xkcd.com/893/

I hope Space Center Houston got him to re-record his audio on the Saturn V. It wasn't technically wrong, but it was outdated. (Abridged, he said all of the F-1 engines used for the Apollo missions were at the bottom of the Atlantic. Between then and when I visited, Jeff Bezos fished a few up.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante

Post by Volante »

Barack Obama commutes Chelsea (formerly Bradley) Manning's sentence for espionage, leaking documents and videos to Wikileaks.
Will now be released in May.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38659068

(Please the pros/cons/opinions of this out of this thread. For more details, the Google search bar is towards the upper right of your browser window. Thank you for your cooperation!)
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Volante wrote:Barack Obama commutes Chelsea (formerly Bradley) Manning's sentence for espionage, leaking documents and videos to Wikileaks.
Will now be released in May.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38659068

(Please the pros/cons/opinions of this out of this thread. For more details, the Google search bar is towards the upper right of your browser window. Thank you for your cooperation!)
The president also pardoned SF Giants star Willie McCovey, who was convicted of tax evasion in 1995. "McCovey Cove" is that portion of San Francisco Bay beyond the right-field wall of AT&T Park. Since the park opened in 2000, there have been 71 "splash hits": home runs hit by Giants batters that landed in the Cove on the fly.

A pardon relieves the person convicted of a crime from any further penalties and disabilities (e.g., loss of the right to vote) but the conviction itself stands. A commutation substitutes a lesser punishment for that originally imposed (Manning's sentence was 35 years; she'll be released after serving roughly 6.5 years).

Thanks, ecognator and seaborgium, for spotting the mistakes here. They've been correctted.
Last edited by Blue Lion on Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Blue Lion wrote:The president also pardoned SF Giants star Willie McCovey, who was convicted of tax evasion in 1995. "McCovey's Cove" is that portion of San Francisco Bay beyond the right-field wall of AT&T Park. Since the park opened in 2000, there have been 71 "splash hits": home runs hit by Giants batters that landed in the Cove on the fly.
No possessive: McCovey Cove.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Also, an example of a rare-but-not-entirely-unknown reference to a real person and event in "Peanuts." These two strips ran about 5 weeks apart, in December 1962 and January 1963:

(In Game 7 of the 1962 World Series, with the Giants down 1-0 to the Yankees, with two outs in the bottom of the 9th, Willie McCovey was up with the bases loaded. He hit a line drive that... well, it did not make Charles Schulz happy.)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Blue Lion wrote:(Manning's sentence was 35 years; he'll be released after serving seven years).
*she'll
Volante

Post by Volante »

Tim "Rock" Raines, Jeff "Killer B" Bagwell and Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez are your 2017 MLB Hall of Fame inductees.
https://deadspin.com/here-is-your-2017- ... 1791349407

They did ask for Griffey last season
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Volante wrote:Tim "Rock" Raines, Jeff "Killer B" Bagwell and Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez are your 2017 MLB Hall of Fame inductees.

Bagwell and Rodriguez are also both Jeopardy canon, with one hit in the Archive each. Players were given the nicknames you mentioned, and had to come up with the player names.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Volante wrote:Tim "Rock" Raines, Jeff "Killer B" Bagwell and Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez are your 2017 MLB Hall of Fame inductees.

That trio will join former Commissioner Bud Selig and former baseball executive John Schuerholz, who were voted in by the HOF's Game Era Committee last month. Selig (aka "Bud Light") might come up.

Aside: Pudge is immensely popular where I live (greater Detroit) because his arrival helped turn the Tigers around. Detroit lost 119 games in 2003, but won the AL pennant in 2006.
Last edited by Blue Lion on Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Ivan Rodriguez holds the record for most games by a catcher. He overtook the record from Carlton Fisk who is known for "waving fair" a game winning home run in the 1975 World Series. Both Ivan Rodriguez and Carlton Fisk have the nickname "Pudge."
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MattKnowles wrote:Ivan Rodriguez holds the record for most games by a catcher. He overtook the record from Carlton Fisk who is known for "waving fair" a game winning home run in the 1975 World Series. Both Ivan Rodriguez and Carlton Fisk have the nickname "Pudge."
And they overlapped for 2 years in MLB.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Actor and former Celebrity Jeopardy contestant Miguel Ferrer died January 19th, at 61.

Loalwa Braz, the singer of the famous "Lambada" song from 1989, also died the same day.
BobF

Post by BobF »

JayK33 wrote:Actor and former Celebrity Jeopardy contestant Miguel Ferrer died January 19th, at 61.

Loalwa Braz, the singer of the famous "Lambada" song from 1989, also died the same day.
Damn shame, 61 is a bit young to go. Was he ill?
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

BobF wrote:
JayK33 wrote:Actor and former Celebrity Jeopardy contestant Miguel Ferrer died January 19th, at 61.

Damn shame, 61 is a bit young to go. Was he ill?
Yes, he died of throat cancer, unfortunately.

The strange thing is that I just saw him on one of the earlier Magnum PI episodes a few days ago, in what was his first acting role, I believe.

The Lambada singer was 63, and was apparently murdered. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loalwa_Braz#Death
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Something happened at noon today. I'm holding my tongue about the details.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Donald John Trump sworn in as President of the United States. Since Jan. 20 as Inauguration Day is basic trivia, probably the only thing that would come up on J! is the fact that he's the 45th.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Vice Presidential Middle Names was a category once, so it's Michael Richard Pence.

(I was disappointed this week to discover that Hillary Clinton's middle name was Diane, and not Elizabeth like I'd been assuming for some reason. I thought I was so clever working out that "I'm with Her" was "I'm with H.E.R.", i.e. "I'm with Hillary Elizabeth Rodham". But it wasn't true. Not at all. :( )