Alpaca Farm quizzes

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Re: Alpaca Farm quizzes

Post by RandyG »

Just posted a quiz on "Dr. Strangelove".... open until the morning of December 26th.
http://alpacafarmtrivia.herokuapp.com/quizzes/1945
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

"Prime Time".... the answer to every question is a prime number: http://alpacafarmtrivia.herokuapp.com/quizzes/1992

Primo!

Note: There's an error in the proposed answer to one of the questions. D'Oh!!! But it doesn't affect the outcome, as the scoring is manual and the question, per se, is still valid.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Please enjoy my twenty-seventh Mystery Quiz, closing Monday: http://alpacafarmtrivia.herokuapp.com/quizzes/2016
beatlesfan317

Post by beatlesfan317 »

Vermonter wrote:
nightreign wrote:Congrats to Lampy on second place and CheezeWhiz on fifth place in Things GersonA Really Hates! (I don't see any other boardies in the top 10.)
That was a very well-written quiz, nightreign! Great job. Really appreciated the Don Budge question ;)
I really enjoyed the quiz too. Well done!
Panic Mansion http://philome.la/beatlesfan317/panic-mansion is a combination of a trivia game and an action-rpg available to play online, in a web browser for free. You must answer questions and defeating bosses at the end of each level.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

1960s Pop/Rock Music Notables Who Died in 2015

In 2015 we lost a host of pop & rock music notables, many of whom first found fame in the 1960s. While some of these names, per se, may not be too recognizable today, the questions will target the context of their fame.... and maybe drop an extra clue or two in the wording to lead you to the answer.

Play here (open until the 23rd): http://alpacafarmtrivia.herokuapp.com/quizzes/2017

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

The eighth season of Archer begins April 5. Starting February 15, each week leading up to the premiere, I will publish a quiz on a successive season (starting with Season 1).

If you haven't watched the show before, get cracking; if you have, it doesn't hurt to brush up. This series of quizzes will penetrate deep!

Here is the first of two warm-ups: http://alpacafarmtrivia.herokuapp.com/quizzes/2054

georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I generally only do the music quizzes here and I must say that I've really enjoyed some of the most recent ones. I did pretty well (but not spectacularly so) on the two quizzes in which clips of original versions of songs were given and you had to give the name of the song and the artist that had the bigger hit with the song. I loved the quiz on songs with whistling in them although I had my head handed to me there.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

OK, so I just discovered the Alpaca Farm and it looks like there's no way to message the host of a quiz? I have a question on 'Anagrams of Demi Lovato' - I'm assuming each phrase uses all the letters of her name and exactly once? Would anyone know? I'm stuck on a few, but I can make reasonable guesses if I repeat some letters.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:06 pm OK, so I just discovered the Alpaca Farm and it looks like there's no way to message the host of a quiz? I have a question on 'Anagrams of Demi Lovato' - I'm assuming each phrase uses all the letters of her name and exactly once? Would anyone know? I'm stuck on a few, but I can make reasonable guesses if I repeat some letters.
He is LowdenB in LL, you can contact him through that site if you are a member there.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:27 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:06 pm OK, so I just discovered the Alpaca Farm and it looks like there's no way to message the host of a quiz? I have a question on 'Anagrams of Demi Lovato' - I'm assuming each phrase uses all the letters of her name and exactly once? Would anyone know? I'm stuck on a few, but I can make reasonable guesses if I repeat some letters.
He is LowdenB in LL, you can contact him through that site if you are a member there.
Thanks! I'll go stalk him there
georgespelvin

Post by georgespelvin »

I'm really looking forward to talking about the Top 100 of 1977 lyrics quiz after it closes.
georgespelvin

Post by georgespelvin »

Ah well, it appears that nobody here posts about these. I know that some of the folks here play the music quizzes I play though (like ElendilPickle) so I just wanted to say that the reason why I won the 1972 lyrics quiz so resoundingly (no pun intended) is that I noticed that all eight of the songs that I knew right off were Number One songs. As I know all of the songs that were Number One on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1972, I then tried plugging the remaining lyric clues into those songs until I found logical matches. Result: perfecto!

Of course, this doesn't make up for my embarrassing zero result on a music quiz about cover recordings because I stupidly forgot to put both the artist and song. Still smarting on that one. I estimate that I would have finished about eighth had I done it right.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

I've got a "Think Different" style quiz up now: http://alpacafarmtrivia.herokuapp.com/quizzes/2315
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Say, how would I go about attaching a sound recording to a question on the Alpaca Farm? I want to attach a clip from a podcast

Update: I figured it out :P
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

It's Red Nose Day! Check out my latest clown quiz over at the Alpaca Farm: http://alpacafarmtrivia.herokuapp.com/quizzes/2336
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

No other ways to contact admin there? I got some results from last week and need to take issue with an answer. The Harry Belafonte piece is called "The Banana Boat Song" NOT "Day-O"!

:lol:
georgespelvin

Post by georgespelvin »

You are absolutely right--and so was I, who also got marked wrong with "The Banana Boat Song". To make matters worse, "Day-O" is the parenthetical title, which, according to the rules of the quiz, should be automatically marked wrong even though it is part of the song title parenthetically. I had that as a money question too. I wouldn't have won with that (I don't think, although if you graded it differently, some of the folks ahead of me would lose points), but it would have gotten me closer. That's the only lyrics quiz in the last four (not counting the TV themes) that I have not won.

There are also a couple of other issues I have on these quizzes. Sometimes the lyrics are slightly off (although it hasn't thrown me--yet). Other times the years are slightly fudged (e.g., "When Will I See You Again" was released in late 1974 and had most of its chart life in that year, yet it was included in the 1975 quiz). For the 1972 quiz I won in a blowout when I realized that all of the clues were lyrics from No. 1 songs. That enabled me to match the harder ones because I know all of the songs that were No. 1 that year.

I love doing these quizzes, partly, of course, because I am so good at them. I practically only listen to internet oldies stations that "go deep" and are not limited to the stale, narrow playlists of burnouts foisted on Terrestrial and Satellite radio by consultants and focus groups. As a result, there are a lot of songs from the time periods that are still fresh in my head and whose lyrics jump out at me.

I was shocked to be the sole solve on "You're The First, The Last, My Everything" in the 1975 quiz. My guess on why this happened is that AM radio had two choices of single versions to play of this song when it was released in late 1974. One version includes the lyrics in the quiz, which open the song. The other version omits the introductory lyrics, starting cold with the few notes before the opening chorus ("You're the first, you're the last, my everything.") If you only heard the second version, you didn't have a prayer of getting the clue correct because you never heard the lyrics in the song. If, like on the AM station I listened to it on, they always played the version with the introductory lyrics, it actually is quite simple.

We'll see if I can keep my lyrics winning streak alive in the 1983 quiz.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

georgespelvin wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 9:36 pm I practically only listen to internet oldies stations that "go deep" and are not limited to the stale, narrow playlists of burnouts foisted on Terrestrial and Satellite radio by consultants and focus groups.
Such as ... ?
georgespelvin

Post by georgespelvin »

My favorite is Bobby Magic Radio, which plays every top 40 hit from a particular year during a weekday and every top 100 song from a particular year during a weekend. He also does themed specials, like the one this weekend of summer songs. Here is the link: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/bobbymagicradio Unfortunately, the site will interrupt midsong for commercials every now and then unless you pay an annual nominal fee. I paid it (it costs less than satellite) and never get interrupted. It's well worth it.

If you want a mix of years for your hits while listening, here's a thread on the Sirius FM fan website that gives a lot of suggestions. I suggest going to the end and scrolling backwards to ensure that the radio sites still exist. http://www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t=103446

Meantime, this weekend "I Heart Radio"'s Classic American Top 40 channel is playing all of Casey's end of the year countdowns uncut. As I type this, they are almost three quarters of the way through 1976. The countdowns are in order, running until the end of the 1987 countdown early Tuesday morning.
https://www.iheart.com/live/Classic-Ame ... p-40-6545/

Oddly, Sirius FM's 70s channel is going deep this weekend with a "Lost Hits" weekend. This is strange for a service that programs channels like terrestrial stations and has a free preview this weekend. Also, if you have a Sirius subscription that covers online service, you actually can customize certain channels (especially the Decade Channels) to go a lot deeper than what is being broadcast at the time.