Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bpmod »

There was a request in another thread for today's episode.

It is currently uploading to here in HD (about 300MB), and here in SD (about 80MB).

It should be finished within about ten minutes if nothing goes wrong.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Wow, what a gift, Brian. Thank you so much for doing sharing the game. I updated returning contestant, Devin's player page: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=1988

and for Dan Pawson I put in a $X for his winnings on his most recent J! page.

Reaction to one of Dan's comments:
Spoiler
He's never seen Back to the Future! :o
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Knew the answer to Devin's final question, but a forgivable error. Going for it in a 50/50 situation is reasonable, too.

And there are plenty of famous movies hardcore film fans, myself included, haven't seen. Still, the inability to get that question by process of elimination surprised me. Guess movies were a relative weak area for Dan during his Jeopardy run.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

bpmod wrote:There was a request in another thread for today's episode.

It is currently uploading to here in HD (about 300MB), and here in SD (about 80MB).

It should be finished within about ten minutes if nothing goes wrong.

Brian
My apologies. The files I uploaded last night were missing a segment. I didn't realize it until I watched it today. I have uploaded replacements in case you need them.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Thank you, Brian.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Spoiler
It just can't be said enough -- they don't want to give away real money anymore. These middle dollar clues have been pretty much unknowable. I guessed tiger, but with no certainty. I think you did what you had to do, Dan. While the money was good, it certainly wasn't commensurate with what we know you're capable of. Good to see Larissa again!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

alietr wrote:
Spoiler
It just can't be said enough -- they don't want to give away real money anymore. These middle dollar clues have been pretty much unknowable. I guessed tiger, but with no certainty. I think you did what you had to do, Dan. While the money was good, it certainly wasn't commensurate with what we know you're capable of. Good to see Larissa again!
Was that who his Plus One was? That's cool.

The question, from another internet source.
Spoiler
$50,000 - In a New Yorker article, Ernest Hemingway revealed to the writer that he once “lived with”, “slept with”, and “got drunk with” “a close friend”, who was a what?
A: Moose
B: Cobra
C: Bear
D: Tiger
I guessed correctly from my couch, rationalizing that
Spoiler
tigers and cobras were Asian, and I don't associate Hemingway with Asia, just Africa. Bear then made more sense than moose.

Here's the story, if anyone wants to read it.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1950/ ... -gentlemen
pdano
Valued Contributor

Post by pdano »

Thanks guys.
Spoiler
I think the big mistake was using Larissa on the 30k. It helped that she thought the same thing, but it was a great example of a question you could reason out, and I managed to do that shortly after bringing her up.

And as it turned out, she knew the 50k one. I clearly was in my own head there - couldn't start reasoning it out. It turns out this is a hunting story from Montana. Chris is apparently a big Hemingway fan and knew he was a hunter, but was gracious enough to say he thought it was moose.

Still, 30k is 30k!
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Congratulations, Dan! You definitely made the right choice by walking with your $30K.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

I agree with the previous comments, and also wish to congratulate Dan on a fine $30k haul.
Spoiler
Yikes, what a brutal question. Literature is one of my absolute strongest areas, I have read a lot of Hemingway's novels and short stories and know much about his life.

Still didn't know the answer to that question and would have felt no confidence in guessing.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I'm sure it will come as a surprise to no one that I knew
Spoiler
Betty and Veronica before the options were shown and am looking forward to the premiere of Riverdale.
Continuing...
Spoiler
And how about that cities-with-the-same-name question the next contestant had? Am I wrong, or were the second cities in all the incorrect options significantly larger than the first cities? I was complaining that they made it way too easy by doing that, then she went and blew two lifelines on it. The last question seemed very easy too, but I've already forgotten it.
dhall60

Post by dhall60 »

Thank you for doing this, bpmod. Dan Paawson was one of my Jeopardy favorites!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

dinghammer wrote:
Spoiler
And how about that cities-with-the-same-name question the next contestant had? Am I wrong, or were the second cities in all the incorrect options significantly larger than the first cities? I was complaining that they made it way too easy by doing that, then she went and blew two lifelines on it. The last question seemed very easy too, but I've already forgotten it.
Spoiler
Only the two Charlestons were relatively close, and they are about 1:2. KCs are 1:4 and Portlands are 1:10. I do believe those three choices had the smaller ones first. I only paused on Charleston, but there was no way WV was bigger than SC.

I would have gotten through to the $50K with all lifelines, but I did hesitate a little on Eiffel Tower as opposed to Big Ben, but I could definitely envision an apartment on the Eiffel Tower (and Eiffel was famous by himself).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Jan. 26 episode had a fun question for Lorena Korbel.
Spoiler
$50,000
What happened and the correct answer:
Spoiler
She had no lifelines left and walked with $30,000. The correct answer was D: Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger."
My thinking on guessing it right.
Spoiler
I knew Joan Jett covered "Crimson and Clover", so I figured her big hit was a cover as well. The song by Soft Cell partly used a song by The Supremes, so not that one. The Lauper song seemed simple enough and the kind that easily could have been done previously, so that left me to go with the song by Survivor that struck me as more 80s original and probably specifically written for Rocky III.

It's easy at home to say D, final answer. On stage I can't imagine the pressure in such situations. Curious about the original songs I did research and found:

"Tainted Love" composed by Ed Cobb and performed by Gloria Jones
"I Love Rock 'n' Roll" by The Arrows
"Girls Just Want to Have Fun" by Robert Hazard

I visited YouTube to listen to the originals and none of them sounded a bit familiar to go along with my zero recognition of the original artists. What also struck me as odd about the question is I had no recollection of Casey Kasem talking about the 80s hits in the question being cover songs as that is the kind of thing that often came up in the countdown. At least I have some memories remaining from the weekly show as I recalled Kasem playing a bit of "Bette Davis Eyes" originally by Jackie DeShannon.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote:The Jan. 26 episode had a fun question for Lorena Korbel.
Spoiler
$50,000
What happened and the correct answer:
Spoiler
She had no lifelines left and walked with $30,000. The correct answer was D: Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger."
My thinking on guessing it right.
Spoiler
I knew Joan Jett covered "Crimson and Clover", so I figured her big hit was a cover as well. The song by Soft Cell partly used a song by The Supremes, so not that one. The Lauper song seemed simple enough and the kind that easily could have been done previously, so that left me to go with the song by Survivor that struck me as more 80s original and probably specifically written for Rocky III.

It's easy at home to say D, final answer. On stage I can't imagine the pressure in such situations. Curious about the original songs I did research and found:

"Tainted Love" composed by Ed Cobb and performed by Gloria Jones
"I Love Rock 'n' Roll" by The Arrows
"Girls Just Want to Have Fun" by Robert Hazard

I visited YouTube to listen to the originals and none of them sounded a bit familiar to go along with my zero recognition of the original artists. What also struck me as odd about the question is I had no recollection of Casey Kasem talking about the 80s hits in the question being cover songs as that is the kind of thing that often came up in the countdown. At least I have some memories remaining from the weekly show as I recalled Kasem playing a bit of "Bette Davis Eyes" originally by Jackie DeShannon.
Grew up in the 80s, easy one for me.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Spoiler
The correct answer was nominated for Best Original Song at the Oscars in 1982 (it lost to "Up Where We Belong"), so there was no way it was a cover.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

It's definitely an interesting question, probably the most interesting $50,000 question I've seen this season. While having no idea, I definitely come away saying "I'm glad I know that now."

Another big 80s hit that was a cover: Video Killed the Radio Star.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Spoiler
That's a $50,000 question I would have gotten right, being a knowledgeable fan of '80's music. Seeing those four options, I knew right away that it wasn't A or B. Cyndi Lauper's version of "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" not being the original rung a bit of a bell, while there were no bells ringing for "Eye of the Tiger". So I would have gotten it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's Second Chance Week and the 2/1 episode brought back Jerry Ellis:
Spoiler
$7000
What happened:
Spoiler
He locked in C: The Love Boat and once again left with $5,000
Jerry left his ATA and +1 on the table.
How the week overall has gone so far:
Spoiler
The returning players have left with:
$5,000 (ATA unused)
$1,000 (missed the $1K Q and had the ATA remaining)
$1,000 (missed the $5K Q and had the +1 remaining)
$5,000 (missed the 10K Q having used all the lifelines)
Jerry Ellis see above
$5,000 (missed the 10K Q and had the +1 remaining)
The good news about the week:
Spoiler
The audience members chosen to play one question worth $1,000 are 3/3. :)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote:It's Second Chance Week and the 2/1 episode brought back Jerry Ellis:
They passed me over for this? Sobbing gently into my elbow.