Tuesday, January 31, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by nlw44 »

Katharine Hepburn makes a lot more sense than Audrey Hepburn for the same reason another poster gave for not going with Elizabeth Taylor - Audrey was younger than Katharine and might have been expected to have made more movies in that time period. In fact, eleven, according to Wikipedia. It's not a guarantee of the correct answer, but having won two Best Actress Oscars in those years, I'd think one's mind would jump to Katharine over Audrey (one Oscar) first anyway. Mine did, anyway, then the age thing put me on the right track.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Well at least I finally got a DD right (Phobos).

FJ, I should have gotten right, but I didn't, once again. How bad of a guess is Julie Andrews?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dinghammer wrote:Precalled "mule" in the POOL category (or was it COOL?), but it wasn't there. Weird.
It was COOL
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

JayK33 wrote:How bad of a guess is Julie Andrews?
It's not bad.
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

JayK33 wrote:Well at least I finally got a DD right (Phobos).

FJ, I should have gotten right, but I didn't, once again. How bad of a guess is Julie Andrews?
Not awful, but not great. Her first movie was in 1964 and after 1965, she didn't really make anything critically acclaimed until 1979 (although she did snag a couple Golden Globe nominations, back when the Golden Globes weren't considered that significant).

And how in the name of everything holy was "For Whom The Bell Tolls" a stand and stare?? Fear of an easy $2000??
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

So am I the only one who thought Bette Davis? I got stuck thinking about What Happened to Baby Jane (which I don't think she was nominated for) and couldn't get any further. I didn't feel good when I saw Doug taking a long time to write anything.

But, proud of his showing -- he made good bets and got several gets I would've missed (like Phobos). AND, he had a snappy outfit on. :D
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

Was pleased with myself for knowing FJ and was surprised two players got it, as it seemed kind of tricky. Audrey Hepburn never occurred to me. Katharine Hepburn, at least according to the biography I read, didn't act much during that period because she was busy taking care of Spencer Tracy, who was very ill. When they made Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? K. Hepburn had to put up the money to hire Tracy because the studio couldn't get insurance on him.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

dinghammer wrote:Precalled "mule" in the POOL category (or was it COOL?), but it wasn't there. Weird.
Good thing it wasn't there. We just went through a food fight about the rhyming of CUBE and LUBE a few weeks ago (Jan 17). I think they TS'd on Golden Rule because to paraphrase Anderson Cooper: they didn't understand the category.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

econgator wrote:
JayK33 wrote:How bad of a guess is Julie Andrews?
It's not bad.
I went with Julie Andrews because I was aware that the late 1960s was her big breakthrough period - but as it turns out, she had one win and one nom during that period, for Mary Poppins and Sound of Music.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I'd quote Vowela, but I haven't figured out how to trim the original post.

I'm glad at least someone else thought of Liz Taylor. I instagetted to Kate, and then outfoxed myself for the fourth time in 7 games and changed my first instinct and went with Liz.
I think half the battle is deciding if an answer is too easy. If they'd set it in the 70's (or 80's), I'd have just said Meryl Streep as another Hollywood favorite who just has to show up.

I thought sure Lisa would guess at the last clue for any chance to get the lead. But she got burned early with wild guesses. I assume the stats are someplace, but I consider 2nd place to be the least desirable position to win from. Her short run reminds me of Cindy Stowell's incredible clutch play.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

I went with Natalie Wood for this FJ, and quite confidently (and now embarassingly) so too...I fell into the apparent trap of thinking the actress they wanted was one who passed on after sometime, if not immediately after 1969. Between Wood's very famous death in 1981 and her semi-retirement in 1970, it really wasn't a bad stab IMO. While I pride myself on entertainment trivia and consider it an overall wheelhouse, I will admit that the Oscars have never been my strongest branch...

Speaking of traps...if it hadn't been for another constant trip-up I occasionally have in confusing Sheila E. for Sheena Easton, I would AND should have run the singing drummer category.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
davey

Post by davey »

twelvefootboy wrote:
Good thing it wasn't there. We just went through a food fight about the rhyming of CUBE and LUBE a few weeks ago (Jan 17). I think they TS'd on Golden Rule because to paraphrase Anderson Cooper: they didn't understand the category.
It was the 16th, and dinghammer knows all about it... :lol:
Knew FJ was KH, then in the last few seconds started to fret about AH, but stuck with my first instinct.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Dr. J wrote:So am I the only one who thought Bette Davis?
That was my wife's guess, too, so you're in good company :)

Nice to see you here again. Stick around!
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

33/59 right.

American (3), Theater (1), Sports (3), Travel (2), Cool (2), Systems (3)
Future (3), 14-Letter (4), Drummer (4), Donne (2), Man (2), "I"land (4)

Lach Trash: baseball, Golden Rule, System of a Down, Ireland; DD: James I

I went with Audrey Hepburn; I was thinking of changing it to Katharine Hepburn towards the end of the music, but decided not to.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Maven wrote:
Speaking of traps...if it hadn't been for another constant trip-up I occasionally have in confusing Sheila E. for Sheena Easton, I would AND should have run the singing drummer category.
Same here. Seventies rock is in my wheelhouse, so I precalled both Henley and Genesis (Phil Collins) as most people remember those two as solo artists/lead singers rather than drummers. We've had drummers-that'-sing as both a category and a FJ this month (with Ringo Starr/Yellow Submarine).

Did anyone else precall Karen Carpenter for a singing drummer? Felt like she'd show up in the bottom box.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Kenny wrote:
Maven wrote:
Same here. Seventies rock is in my wheelhouse, so I precalled both Henley and Genesis (Phil Collins) as most people remember those two as solo artists/lead singers rather than drummers. We've had drummers-that'-sing as both a category and a FJ this month (with Ringo Starr/Yellow Submarine).

Did anyone else precall Karen Carpenter for a singing drummer? Felt like she'd show up in the bottom box.
I didn't, but I like it.

I figured it was a little too soon for another Ringo Starr clue.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Dr. J wrote:So am I the only one who thought Bette Davis? I got stuck thinking about Whatever Happened to Baby Jane (which I don't think she was nominated for) and couldn't get any further.
She was the first actress that popped into my head and for the same movie. Then like you, I got stuck on her and Joan Crawford and couldn't get anything else to come up.
And I knew it couldn't be correct.
Maven wrote:Speaking of traps...if it hadn't been for another constant trip-up I occasionally have in confusing Sheila E. for Sheena Easton, I would AND should have run the singing drummer category.
At least you didn't answer Chaka Khan like I did. I was on a 4 for 4 roll until that clue came up.
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Kenny wrote: Did anyone else precall Karen Carpenter for a singing drummer? Felt like she'd show up in the bottom box.
I didn't, but I like it.
Another good alternate clue would have been Mickey Dolenz. They'd have to give a few easy hints for the average J! contestant to connect Karen Carpenter with having played drums.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Vowela wrote:Not to sound too much like TPH, but I'm missing something apparently. I have no idea how this was almost a triple get. I couldn't figure it out any closer than "name a famous actress from the 60s" and took a very random stab at Elizabeth Taylor, aware that my chances of being right were minimal.
I ruled out Elizabeth Taylor for her 1963 appearance in the poorly received Cleopatra.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Category 13 wrote: Another good alternate clue would have been Mickey Dolenz. They'd have to give a few easy hints for the average J! contestant to connect Karen Carpenter with having played drums.
Yeah, maybe a clue with "We've Only Just Begun" or "I'm a Believer" would work.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I thought something very unique was going to happen when Lisa kept getting the singing drummers clues then going to different categories. She had a chance to run the category without selecting any of the clues herself. She had the first four knocked off but then decided to select the last clue. Then Doug got Sheila E to stop to stop her. I was wondering if the audience would have known to applaud if Lisa had had gotten it.
It made it evident that Lisa had the edge over Ben with buzzer speed.