2017 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by MarkBarrett »

Blue Lion wrote:
Kenny wrote:Serena Williams defeated her sister Venus in the finals of the Australian Open for her 23rd major title, passing Steffi Graf for all-time major tennis championships in the open era. Margaret Court had 24 when tennis was amateur only. As mentioned earlier, it was the sisters' ninth meeting in a major finals. Lots of J! fodder there.
The same is true of the men's final. It was the record ninth time that Federer and Nadal had faced one another in a men’s Grand Slam final. Nadal is the third-oldest player to win a Grand Slam singles titles, and the first to win five singles titles in three different Grand Slam tournaments (Australian, French, and U.S. Opens).
Nadal has won the French 9 times and has 14 Grand Slam titles, so something is not adding up. I'll go with Federer being the guy for the distinctions listed above.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

OrangeSAM wrote:
Kenny wrote:Serena Williams defeated her sister Venus in the finals of the Australian Open for her 23rd major title, passing Steffi Graf for all-time major tennis championships in the open era. Margaret Court had 24 when tennis was amateur only. As mentioned earlier, it was the sisters' ninth meeting in a major finals. Lots of J! fodder there.
Not a current event, but to set the record straight, Margaret Court's career extended into the Open Era where she won several Majors.
Technically correct WRT Court, but there's a reason tennis is divided into the Non-open (Amateur) Era and Open (Modern) Era. Court's career straddled those, as did Rod Laver's, who won Grand Slams both as an amateur and a pro.

But I specified that both Serena Williams and Steffi Graf won all their titles in the Open era, and that remains true. All news reports I saw/read referred to Williams as having passed Graf for all-time GS victories in the Open Era. Court only had about 14 open titles.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Blue Lion wrote:
The same is true of the men's final. It was the record ninth time that Federer and Nadal had faced one another in a men’s Grand Slam final. Nadal is the third-oldest player to win a Grand Slam singles titles, and the first to win five singles titles in three different Grand Slam tournaments (Australian, French, and U.S. Opens).
Nadal has won the French 9 times and has 14 Grand Slam titles, so something is not adding up. I'll go with Federer being the guy for the distinctions listed above.
It's Federer and it's not the tourneys listed above (5 Australian, 5 US, 7 Wimbledon, 1 French).
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

MarkBarrett wrote:Nadal has won the French 9 times and has 14 Grand Slam titles, so something is not adding up. I'll go with Federer being the guy for the distinctions listed above.
To clarify:

Federer has won a record 18 Grand Slam events, Nadal 14.

Nadal and Federer faced each other in nine Grand Slam finals, a measure of their dominance of the sport. Thus they won a combined 23 additional titles against other finals opponents.

In women's competition, Martina Navritolova and Chris Evert were even more dominant. Each won 18 Grand Slam titles, and they met 14 times in Grand Slam finals. So they won a combined 22 additional titles against other finals opponents.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I despise Federer and adore Nadal so I had great anticipation for the match. Horribly disappointed. I didn't waste time watching the award ceremony.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Westminster dog show adds 3 new breeds: sloughi, pumi, American hairless terrier
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Jan. 31: President Trump nominates Neil McGill Gorsuch (b. Aug. 29, 1967) to be an associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. If confirmed, he would replace Antonin Scalia. Gorsuch is currently a justice on the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals (Denver), appointed by George W. Bush.

Two related factoids: Gorsuch's mother, Anne Gorsuch Burford, was Reagan's first head of the EPA; (1981-83); and one of his Harvard Law School ('91) classmates was Barack Obama.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I'm not sure how rare this is, but he would be on the court at the same time as someone he clerked for (Anthony Kennedy) if he gets confirmed.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:I'm not sure how rare this is, but he would be on the court at the same time as someone he clerked for (Anthony Kennedy) if he gets confirmed.
I can't think of a specific example, but I think it isn't unusual.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Bamaman wrote:
Cat Hammarskjold wrote:I'm not sure how rare this is, but he would be on the court at the same time as someone he clerked for (Anthony Kennedy) if he gets confirmed.
I can't think of a specific example, but I think it isn't unusual.
According to what I heard on the radio today, it may be unique.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Kenny wrote:Jan. 31: President Trump nominates Neil McGill Gorsuch (b. Aug. 29, 1967) to be an associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. If confirmed, he would replace Antonin Scalia. Gorsuch is currently a justice on the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals (Denver), appointed by George W. Bush.

Two related factoids: Gorsuch's mother, Anne Gorsuch Burford, was Reagan's first head of the EPA; (1981-83); and one of his Harvard Law School ('91) classmates was Barack Obama.

Judge Gorsuch is 6 years younger than obama. And no, there has never been a justice who served alongside another Justice for whom he clerked. Kennedy has been on the Court for almost 30 years though.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

La La Land becomes the third film to receive 14 Academy Award Nominations.

The previous two:
Spoiler
Titanic (1997)
All About Eve (1950)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Johnblue wrote:
Kenny wrote:Jan. 31: President Trump nominates Neil McGill Gorsuch (b. Aug. 29, 1967) to be an associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. If confirmed, he would replace Antonin Scalia. Gorsuch is currently a justice on the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals (Denver), appointed by George W. Bush.

Judge Gorsuch is 6 years younger than obama. And no, there has never been a justice who served alongside another Justice for whom he clerked. Kennedy has been on the Court for almost 30 years though.
Thanks for clearing that up. I think I got confused about former clerks becoming justices, not a clerk serving with a justice he clerked for.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

In a disturbing continuation of trends, evil has prevailed yet again, this time at the Super Bowl.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

The New England Patriots are #notmySuperBowlChampion by beating the Atlanta Falcons 34-28 in the first ever Super Bowl to go to overtime, despite the fact that an overwhelming majority of the popular fan polling showed that they wanted the Falcons to win.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:The New England Patriots are #notmySuperBowlChampion by beating the Atlanta Falcons 34-28 in the first ever Super Bowl to go to overtime, despite the fact that an overwhelming majority of the popular fan polling showed that they wanted the Falcons to win.
Ha ha, Tom Brady becomes the first NFL quarterback to win five Super Bowls, passing Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw, with four each.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

The Super Bowl champion team with the least amount of game time spent in the lead--Super Bowl LI, Patriots led for zero seconds.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
BobF

Post by BobF »

triviawayne wrote:The Super Bowl champion team with the least amount of game time spent in the lead--Super Bowl LI, Patriots led for zero seconds.
I believe they're also the first team to win without kicking a single extra point.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama has been approved to be the next U.S. Attorney General. Governor Robert Bentley has appointed Alabama's Attorney General, Luther Strange to take Sessions seat.

Bentley has been under investigation for using state funds to fly his mistress around on the state plane. Now he will get to appoint the person who will continue the investigation. All this happened the same day a former governor got out of prison for taking bribes.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Bamaman wrote:Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama has been approved to be the next U.S. Attorney General. Governor Robert Bentley has appointed Alabama's Attorney General, Luther Strange to take Sessions seat.

Bentley has been under investigation for using state funds to fly his mistress around on the state plane. Now he will get to appoint the person who will continue the investigation. All this happened the same day a former governor got out of prison for taking bribes.
That's impressive. And I grew up in New Jersey.