Thursday, February 2, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, February 2, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7459, 2017-02-02

Lisa Schlitt game 5.

CONTESTANTS
Sean Dennison, a graduate student & teacher from Los Angeles, California
Warren Toland, a National Guard recruiter from Torrington, Connecticut
Lisa Schlitt, a microbiologist from Berwyn, Pennsylvania (whose 4-day cash winnings total $85,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Oh, to be young, bright and successful. Those three words definitely apply to our champion, Lisa. Warren and Sean, you guys are gonna have to be at your best to replace her as champ, but good luck to all three of you. Here we go. Jeopardy! round comes first. One Daily Double in this round of play, and here are your categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THEIR ORIGINAL NAMES (4/5)
LINES ON THE MAP (5/5)
FUNERALS (2/5)
BETWEEN THREE & TWO (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response will be a word that comes...) (Alex: In the dictionary.)
FREQUENT FLIERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
M.D.s (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sean: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Lisa: 11 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Warren: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sean: $3,800
Lisa: $2,000
Warren: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Sean Dennison, as you heard at the beginning of our program, was introduced as a graduate student and teacher. But what we didn't say is that you have a connection to one of the big hits on Broadway this year. Hamilton. The musical.

Sean: Yes.

Alex: Tell us about it.

Sean: Well, when I was home about four years ago, I worked for my local theater as a musician, and I got a call that said, "We need someone to come and replace the piano player. He got tendonitis." So I showed up, and in two weeks, learned the whole show. I replaced that piano player. He was my music director. Afterwards, my career went one way, his went another, and he became the conductor of Hamilton on Broadway.

Alex: Ah, I see. Well, there's hope for you still.

Sean: Yes.

Alex: You're very young.

Alex: Warren Toland, a National Guard recruiter. You were in the Army until the age 30.

Warren: Yes.

Alex: And after 13 years, you re-enlisted?

Warren: I did. It had been something that was gnawing at me for a while. I missed, you know, the camaraderie. I missed the fellowship and the brotherhood and all that. And my wife finally said, "You need to just get off it and go back in and make yourself happy and do what you wanna do."

Alex: Thank you for your service.

Warren: Thank you. Appreciate it.

Alex: Lisa Schlitt is our champion. We keep introducing you as a microbiologist, and yet we don't know exactly what you do. But I do know that you work with the FBI. In what capacity?

Lisa: I can't really say too much about that, honestly.

Alex: Oh?

Lisa: 'Cause it's kinda confidential. But I work for the New Jersey Department of Health, and we assist hospitals throughout the state with rare and emerging pathogens.

Alex: She couldn't tell us everything.

[Laughter]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lisa found the Daily Double on the 17th clue. Lisa had $2,200, Warren had $1,200, and Sean was at $3,800. Lisa wagered $2,000.

FREQUENT FLIERS $800: On Nov. 1, 1958 this airline began service from Amsterdam to Tokyo, flying over the North Pole

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THEIR ORIGINAL NAMES $400: Writer & director Allan Konigsberg
(Lisa: Who is Spike Jonze?)

BETWEEN THREE & TWO $600: It's the "loyal" term for those who manage the operations of a school or other institution

FUNERALS $400: The name of this funeral mass comes form a form of the Latin word for "rest"

FUNERALS $600: In Poe's "Lenore" let this "funeral song be sung... for her, the doubly dead in that she died so young"

FUNERALS $800: 4-letter word for a stand or pedestal supporting a coffin at a funeral
(Warren: What is a pall?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sean: $7,600
Lisa: $5,400
Warren: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, February 2, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
EMMY-WINNING WOMEN (5/5)
RAINFORESTS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
19th CENTURY LITERARY MARRIAGES (5/5)
HISTORIC NAMES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THIS, OR THAT (5/5)
OTHER MDs (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lisa: 19 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 0 W
Sean: 4 R, 0 W
Warren: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lisa snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Lisa had $6,200, Warren had $1,200, and Sean was at $7,600. Lisa wagered $1,500.

HISTORIC NAMES $800: What goes around, comes around-- in 1541 this conqueror was murdered at his palace in Lima

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Lisa who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. Lisa had $14,500, Warren had $2,400, and Sean was at $9,200. Lisa wagered $1,000.

RAINFORESTS $1200: The densest areas of biodiversity are found in this high layer of rainforest formed by adjacent treetops

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HISTORIC NAMES $2000: Rome's greatest orator, he was invited to join the triumvirate of Caesar, Crassus & Pompey but declined

RAINFORESTS $2000: You can visit a butterfly farm or zip line through the rainforests of Puntarenas in this Central American country

OTHER MDs $400: From November 2007 to May 2011, Dominique Strauss-Kahn served the IMF as this, M.D. for short

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Lisa: $27,500 (lock game)
Sean: $13,600
Warren: $4,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE U.S.A.

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Lisa: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $299 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Sean: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $4,799 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Warren: You've no hope of catching up... unless Sean does something stupid. So risk $4,399.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The Empire State Building says that on a clear day you can see 5 states from the top: New York, New Jersey, Connecticut & these 2

FINAL SCORES
Warren: $4,400 - $0 = $4,400 (What are Pennsylvania and Delaware?) (2nd place)
Sean: $13,600 - $13,600 = $0 (What are Rhode Island and Delaware?) (3rd place)
Lisa: $27,500 - $200 = $27,300 (What are Pennsylvania & Massachuset) (85001-day champion: $27,300)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Lisa: $25,800, 30 R (including 3 DDs), 2 W
Sean: $13,600, 14 R, 0 W
Warren: $4,400, 8 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $43,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Lisa: 30/61 = .492
Sean: 14/58 = .241
Warren: 8/58 = .138
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
LINES ON THE MAP $200: Important in pre-Civil War America, it bears the name of two guys from England

LINES ON THE MAP $400: With this ring, I thee wed to frigid temperatures and 24-hour sun on the solstice

LINES ON THE MAP $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) China claims as its territorial waters everything within the Nine-Dash line; it used to have eleven dashes, but when Communist Vietnam was a closer ally, two in this gulf were dropped

LINES ON THE MAP $800: Almost precisely straight lines mark the borders of these two states that joined the Union in 1876 and 1890

LINES ON THE MAP $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) The way cities around the world line up on lines of latitude can be surprising; for instance, Los Angeles, California lies only about two minutes north of of this 3-letter Moroccan city

M.D.s $200: In 2014, Vice Admiral Vivek Murthy became America's doctor as the holder of this government post

M.D.s $600: Dr. Bennet Omalu discovered chronic traumatic encephalopathy in football players, as depicted in this 2015 film
(Alex: With less than a minute to go.)

M.D.s $1000: Ophthalmologist Patricia Bath invented a probe for treatment of this eye condition in which the lens becomes opaque
(Lisa: What is glaucoma?)

HISTORIC NAMES $1600: He was born July 6, 1832 in Vienna and was executed June 19, 1867 in Mexico

EMMY-WINNING WOMEN $800: In 2015 she became the first African-American woman to win for Lead Actress in a Drama Series

RAINFORESTS $800: The 2 main varieties of rainforest are temperate & this other type, named for its location near the Equator
(Warren: What is equatorial?)

RAINFORESTS $1600: Seen here is this rainforest primate that has another animal in its name

OTHER MDs $1200: MD is short for Maryland, whose state seal features the motto & arms of this family
(Lisa: Who is Lord Baltimore's family... of [*]?)
(Alex: That's it, [*].)

CORRECT RESPONSES
KLM
Woody Allen
trustees
requiem
a dirge
a bier
(Francisco) Pizarro
the canopy
Cicero
Costa Rica
managing director
Pennsylvania and Massachusetts
the Mason-Dixon line
the Arctic Circle
the Gulf of Tonkin
Wyoming and Colorado
Fez
Surgeon General
Concussion
a cataract
Maximilian
Viola Davis
tropical
a spider monkey
the Calverts
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE U.S.A.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE

The Empire State Building says that on a clear day you can see 5 states from the top: New York, New Jersey, Conn. & these 2

Lisa Schlitt: 27,500-200=27,300 (5x=$112,300)
Warren Toland: 4,400-0=4,400
Sean Dennison: 13,600-13,600=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Pennsylvania and Massachusetts (Warren-Pennsylvania and Delaware, Sean-Rhode Island and Delaware, Lisa-Pennsylvania and Massachuset. Her response was not accepted.)

Daily Doubles

Lisa: 2200+2000
Lisa: 6200+1500
Lisa:14500+1000

Coryats

Lisa: 25800
Warren: 4400
Sean: 13600

Combined: 43,800
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Wow. What a performance by Lisa. One of the most dominant of the season. Poor Sean couldn't ring-in.

Another bogus FJ...I had PA, MA, DE. Chose the wrong two.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Lisa gets a lock on the last clue of the game. A strong showing by Sean. Had he hit the DDs and wagered big, we might have had a different outcome. A nice gesture by Sean to let Warren have the extra $1,000.

I had PA and DE for FJ.

I am going to make some popcorn to get ready for the discussion over her FJ response.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The way the FJ! round played out made earlier things in the game not matter as much as potential spots to revisit.

During the game I thought the neg/rebound by Lisa to Sean with glaucoma to cataracts could matter later.

A person on day 5 can have an advantage with Alex if he likes you such as Lisa being given just enough time with the helpful host pause to take Lord Baltimore to Calvert. On a different day I could imagine Trebek being quicker on the trigger.

Lisa's $1000 bet on the RAINFORESTS Daily Double screamed too low with the game situation and her knowledge of the subject, yet it worked out just fine in the end for her.

Lisa played like Sean was the one from the day's pool that she thought could be her toughest competition and it seemed like she came loaded for bear with her game play stepping up a level or two. The champ found and converted all three DDs to allow herself the luxury of just missing on the FJ! clue thanks to her highest Coryat by far.

As Massachusetts was not completely written it was correct to neg the partial response. I do think "MA" or "Mass." would have sufficed even with Pennsylvania having been written in full.

I'll be checking the Pennsylvania box on the poll, but not the Massachusetts one as I went for Vermont over Rhode Island while somehow failing to have Massachusetts in my thoughts for the 30 seconds. If Massachusetts had been in the clue's wording I would have had NJ and CT without a doubt.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I agree it should have been negged, but I expect a social media firestorm like we had over Thomas and the Emanciptation Proclamation. And this time, it actually cost the player money.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Rome's greatest orator was a triple stumper, hmmm? I'd like to see that on the weekly poll, if there's room.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CO and WY on the map for $800? That's too easy for Kids' Week. Certainly easier than Gulf of Tonkin.

Airlines, as usual, struck me as a "who cares?" category. How do you know any of this crap?

I knew "lie in state" entirely because of this FJ!.

I've never seen "MD" in piano music.

Let's sketch it out on the map. NY. To the south is NJ. To the east is CT. To the west is PA. But wait, that's all the states that border NY there, isn't it? I can't picture any of the other nearby states fitting. What a BS clue.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Lisa should've stopped writing sooner or started a couple of seconds later. :)

I think the clue would've been funnier if they'd specified four states--New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania--and asked for the fifth.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:Rome's greatest orator was a triple stumper, hmmm? I'd like to see that on the weekly poll, if there's room.
At first I was more shocked that it was in the 2k box, but yeah, no idea how that was a stand-and-stare. 'Requiem' and 'dirge' weren't the greatest TSes either. But she turned on the afterburners, so no sweat. Great game, and welcome to the TOC, Lisa (you were probably safe after 4 wins, but now it's really official).

I would've been kicked out of the state if I missed this one, but yes, instaget FJ. I gotta say though, even the SW corner of Massachusetts has to be at least 100 miles away. I'm not sure I buy that claim.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I recently did a NYC --> DC road trip and Pennsylvania and Delaware didn't seem that far away, so I also went with those two.

I was also surprised at the Cicero stumper.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Wow, just wow. Lisa made it a runaway on the last clue.

I agree that what Lisa wrote should not have been counted, but I also posit that MA by itself should not have counted. The two-letter postal abbreviation for MAssachusetts is too close to MAryland.

How interesting that PA & MASS is OK but PA & Massusetts gets negged.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I have been to the top of the Empire State Building and still had no idea.
Leander

Post by Leander »

TenPoundHammer wrote:CO and WY on the map for $800? That's too easy for Kids' Week. Certainly easier than Gulf of Tonkin.

Airlines, as usual, struck me as a "who cares?" category. How do you know any of this crap?

I knew "lie in state" entirely because of this FJ!.

I've never seen "MD" in piano music.

Let's sketch it out on the map. NY. To the south is NJ. To the east is CT. To the west is PA. But wait, that's all the states that border NY there, isn't it? I can't picture any of the other nearby states fitting. What a BS clue.
Relative to New York City, NJ is west, and PA is further west. CT doesn't border NY City, and starts northeast of Westchester county NY.

PA was automatic, and my only doubt about MA was whether some quirk of geographical elevation would make somewhere like Block Island more visible. Still, I went with MA.
Golf

Post by Golf »

floridagator wrote:but I also posit that MA by itself should not have counted. The two-letter postal abbreviation for MAssachusetts is too close to MAryland.
Doesn't matter, the postal abbreviation is MA which makes it correct no matter how close it is to MD. And they have accepted postal abbreviations in the past.

Personally, wasn't real fond of FJ because it's extremely difficult to believe one can see CT and MA without seeing RI. PA certainly makes sense but choosing the other seemed awkward. And I've been to the top of the Empire State Building as well as all the other states mentioned. Maybe it's just sour grapes, no big deal.

The champ plays very well in spite of sub-optimal DD wagering. Sean cost himself $1k in the hopes the champ can't add, although in his position I might take the risk for the very small chance of a mis-wagering miracle.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Had to think about this and waffled over MA/RI for 27s then imagined RI was too far out past LonggISland to see on the best of days, so another lucky get. Pure guesswork. PA was an easy get, not so far across the skinny neck of NJ. Retrowiki shows this up on the ESB info page, who knew?!?

Dem fine game for goats, 50R, LT: Allen Konigsberg > Woody Allen; Bier, dirge >Lenore; Roman orator > Cicero; Cosat Rico. :)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

For FJ I went with Rhode Island and Massachusetts, figuring that Pennsylvania was the other state in the mix, and that if you can see Massachusetts then you can also see Rhode Island... I guess I didn't figure in western Mass.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Distance from ESB to states:

Massachusetts 92.65 miles
Rhode Island mainland 115.6 miles
Block Island 127.03 miles
Pennsylvania 55.1 miles
Delaware 100.2 miles
Maryland 119.3 miles
Vermont 142 miles

Keep in mind the SW corner of Mass and the easternmost part of PA near NYC are mountainous. The RI mainland is flat, flat, flat.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

floridagator wrote:Distance from ESB to states:
Massachusetts 92.65 miles
Delaware 100.2 miles
This makes me feel pretty good about saying Delaware then.

Also, I was wondering if they were going to penalize Grays for Gray since they were asking for the name of the guy... but I guess not.