Fun With Idiotest

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Fun With Idiotest

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Clearly the wordplay ones are where I do better. The visual and logical ones are what kill me.

In the first one, the letter P was clearly visible in the SEA PLANET sign. Had it been one of those cases where "none of the words on the screen has a P in them, but some obscure background graphic happens to make a P shape", then I don't think I'd have gotten it.
Whereas I didn't know that the letter had to be on the screen (nor did the instructions say it did), I came up with P and only after I checked my answer did it show there were Ps on the screen.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:Whereas I didn't know that the letter had to be on the screen (nor did the instructions say it did),
I'm pretty sure that, by design, the correct answer must be shown on the screen. Otherwise, there'd be no way you could select it. If you're playing on a computer, for instance, try to click the 'P' if it's not visible.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

And there have been a few where I've been like that. Where it's "the answer is obviously this, but for the life of me, I can't see it anywhere on the screen".

Like, "what did Jack jump over?" And there's a small candlestick buried way in the background of the pic.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

These two made me laugh.

Spoiler
The answer:
Spoiler
Touch the wallpaper itself as it's been on the wall longer than any of the items hung there that left the faded imprints.
Spoiler
The answer:
Spoiler
New York City since as soon as the plane takes off it is flying over NYC. This is Idiotest so don't even try to make some kind of antipode play on it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:28 pm #2 answer:
Spoiler
New York City since as soon as the plane takes off it is flying over NYC. This is Idiotest so don't even try to make some kind of antipode play on it.
Spoiler
Boo. I thought they were making a joke off the layout of the map, so a plane would be "over" Rio...sadly, it would take going 1500 miles due East from NYC for a plane to reach the same longitude Rio is on.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:28 pm The answer:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Granted, if you took off from JFK heading SE, by the time you turned due east, you'd already be into Nassau County
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:36 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:28 pm The answer:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Granted, if you took off from JFK heading SE, by the time you turned due east, you'd already be into Nassau County
Spoiler
Yeah, I was going to say that as well. Depending on the runway (and 13R would be the logical one to fly due east), the only part of NYC you would fly over would be the runway itself and a few dozen feet of Jamaica Bay. Pretty bogus in my book.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Puzzle #1 from May 18 show:
Spoiler
#1 correct answer in green:
Spoiler
Why that's correct for #1:
Spoiler
The list needs "dots" or periods after each number on the list to prevent multiples of each item being purchased.
Puzzle #2 :
Spoiler
#2 correct answer:
Spoiler
Why that's correct for #2:
Spoiler
The top row is Roman numerals III, IV, & V, so the VI comes next to complete the sequence.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I really like that first one.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

For the first one,
Spoiler
I would have clicked the period (next to MUCH in the instructions), I'm guessing that would count?

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 6:04 pm For the first one,
Spoiler
I would have clicked the period (next to MUCH in the instructions), I'm guessing that would count?
I hope so too
Spoiler
Not sure why 1DOTS CEREAL / 2DOTS BANANAS... is considered correct
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I figured out that
Spoiler
periods
were missing from the shopping list, but I still couldn't see anything corresponding to them in the picture. Funny how even when I get it, I still don't get it.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 2:51 am I figured out that
Spoiler
periods
were missing from the shopping list, but I still couldn't see anything corresponding to them in the picture. Funny how even when I get it, I still don't get it.
Then you'd share my concern upthread then.