Thursday, February 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, February 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7464, 2017-02-09

CONTESTANTS
Kate Reed Hauenstein, a high school history teacher from Cedar Park, Texas
Megan Hersman, an arts marketer from Chicago, Illinois
Kirstin Cutts, a graduate student from Austin, Texas (whose 1-day cash winnings total $11,001)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, John. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome aboard. Megan, Kate, good to have you joining us today. Kirstin, nice to see you. Let's go to work right now, shall we? First round coming up...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
COUNTRIES' NEWSPAPERS (3/5)
POTENT POTABLES (3/5)
MAN VS. BEAST (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
PLAYING TRIBUTE (4/5)
"V"OCABULARY (5/5)
SLAMILTON (5/5) (Alex: You have to name the person that the famous Alexander Hamilton was badmouthing with these quotes.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kate: 13 R, 2 W
Kirstin: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Megan: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kate: $4,000
Kirstin: $1,600
Megan: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Kate Reed Hauenstein from Cedar Park, Texas, is a high school history teacher who was also a lead singer in what kind of band?

Kate: In a country punk band called The Revolutionary Army of California. It was made up of all Yale Ph.D. students.

Alex: Yale Ph.D. students?

Kate: Yes.

Alex: Country punk.

Kate: Uh-huh.

Alex: I can't even imagine what kind of music you guys would play.

Kate: It's pretty loud.

Alex: Oh, okay. Thank you very much. Good to have you with us.

Kate: Thank you.

Alex: Megan Hersman, arts marketer from Chicago. You were knighted by the governor of West Virginia when you were a little girl.

Megan: I was.

Alex: How did that happen?

Megan: When you're in eighth grade in West Virginia, you take a massive West Virginia history test, and the top five scorers from each county get to go to the capital. You get a nice little piece of jewelry that's a golden horseshoe that says what your award is. You get a big wooden horseshoe, and then you get actually knighted by the governor, which was obviously the best part.

Alex: Okay, well said.

Alex: Kirstin Cutts is a graduate student from Austin, Texas. She, uh, lived on an island in the--

Kirstin: I did.

Alex: Where?

Kirstin: Caladesi island in the Gulf of Mexico near Tampa Bay.

Alex: When you were a little girl, but...

Kirstin: Little girl.

Alex: ...why were you living on that island?

Kirstin: So my parents both worked for the Florida State Park Service, and they were kind of overseeing this chain of barrier islands near Tampa, and they brought me home from the hospital and took me off the boat and changed the number on the sign from population 2 to 3.

[Laughter]

Alex: That sounds like fun. I like that. [Chuckles]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kirstin found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Kirstin had $3,800, Megan had $800, and Kate was at $5,600. Kirstin wagered $1,000.

MAN VS. BEAST $800: In a Hawthorne story, a witch makes one of these to protect her corn, then brings him to life
(Kirstin: What is a bull?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
POTENT POTABLES $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew demonstrates.) a snifter of this clear anise liqueur may be served con la mosca, meaning "with the fly"; each fly is really one of the three espresso beans
(Kate: What is grappa?)

POTENT POTABLES $1000: Tuborg Pilsner has been brewed in this country since 1880

COUNTRIES' NEWSPAPERS $800: The Cape Argus

COUNTRIES' NEWSPAPERS $1000: Muscat Daily

PLAYING TRIBUTE $1000: Candy-O revs up the hits from these rockers

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kate: $5,600
Kirstin: $3,800
Megan: -$200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, February 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LOVE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TV NICKNAMES (3/5)
THE OED, FROM POISE TO QUELT (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MUNICIPAL LITERATURE (2/5)
-OLOGIES (2/5)
ALPHANUMERICALLY YOURS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kirstin: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Kate: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Megan: 1 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kate snagged the next Daily Double on the 15th clue. Kirstin had $6,600, Megan was in the red with -$200, and Kate was at $9,200. Kate wagered $3,000.

LOVE $1200: From the Greek for "carry", these scents are released by some insects to attract members of the opposite sex

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kirstin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Kirstin had $11,000, Megan was in the red with -$1,000, and Kate was at $14,600. Kirstin wagered $2,500.

THE OED, FROM POISE TO QUELT $1200: "One who practices the art of boxing"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TV NICKNAMES $400: On "Gilligan's Island", the skipper often called Gilligan his "little" this

TV NICKNAMES $1200: On the BBC's "Sherlock", this character is sometimes called "Mike", though he abhors it

MUNICIPAL LITERATURE $1200: Willa Cather's 1931 novel "Shadows on the Rock" details the lives of French colonists in the "rock" that is this Canadian city

-OLOGIES $800: It's the -ology associated with the symbol seen here that was created back in the '60s

MUNICIPAL LITERATURE $1600: Herbert Asbury's "The Barbary Coast" is an informal history of the underworld of this West Coast city

MUNICIPAL LITERATURE $2000: This writer from Lowell portrayed small-town Mass. & big New York City in his first novel, 1950's "The Town and the City"

ALPHANUMERICALLY YOURS $2000: Niacin
(Kate: What is Vitamin B12?)
(Megan: What is B6?)

-OLOGIES $1200: Piscatology is the art or science of this activity

-OLOGIES $2000: It's the 11-letter name for the study of how extremely low temperatures affect living organisms

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kirstin: $17,100
Kate: $14,600
Megan: -$1,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE OSCARS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Kirstin: It's a big wager, but you might regret it if you don't cover Kate by wagering $12,101.
Kate: Risk between $5,001 (venusian) and $9,600 (martian).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Since "The Godfather Part II", this film has been the only sequel to win Best Picture

FINAL SCORES
Kate: $14,600 - $14,600 = $0 (What is Lord of the Rings: Return) (2nd place)
Kirstin: $17,100 - $2,499 = $14,601 (What is [illegible] sorry?) (11002-day champion: $14,601)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $17,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kirstin: $16,800, 18 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Kate: $12,800, 23 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Megan: -$1,000, 4 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $28,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Kate: 23/59 = .390
Kirstin: 18/60 = .300
Megan: 4/58 = .069
Team: 45/63 = .714

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SLAMILTON $1000: This first N.Y. gov., also a VP with a presidential last name, has "narrow views, a prejudiced and contracted disposition"
[Applause for Kate's running the category]

POTENT POTABLES $200: To make a sea breeze, mix 2 parts vodka, 3 parts grapefruit juice & 1 part this juice-- for the red color
(Megan: What is grenadine?)

"V"OCABULARY $400: From the Latin for "entrance", it's a large reception area at the main door of a building
(Kate: What is a veranda?)

"V"OCABULARY $600: This jazz instrument is seen & heard here

MAN VS. BEAST $1000: New South Wales' webpage on the control of these animals includes fences, as in the title of a 2002 movie
(Megan: What are kangaroos?)

TV NICKNAMES $1600: British actress Millie Bobby brown got this numeric nickname on "Stranger Things"

MUNICIPAL LITERATURE $800: The canals are frozen over as Det. Lotte Meerman tries to solve a really cold case in "A Cold Death in" this European city
(Kate: What is Venice?)

ALPHANUMERICALLY YOURS $400: Traditional, simple & safe harbor are 3 types of these retirement plans
(Megan: What is an IRA?)

THE OED, FROM POISE TO QUELT $2000: "To drink (liquor) copiously"
[Applause for Kirstin's running the category]

CORRECT RESPONSES
a scarecrow
sambuca
Denmark
South Africa
Oman
The Cars
pheromones
a pugilist
little buddy
Mycroft Holmes
Quebec City
ecology
San Francisco
Jack Kerouac
B3
fishing
cryobiology
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Clinton
cranberry juice
a vestibule
a vibraphone
rabbits
Eleven
Amsterdam
a 401(k)
quaff
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE OSCARS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Since "The Godfather Part II", this film has been the only sequel to win Best Picture

Kirstin Cutts: 17100-2499=14601 (2x = $25,602)
Megan Hersman: minus 1000
Kate Reed Hauenstein: 14600-14600=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Kirstin – [scribbling] sorry) (Kate – Lord of the Rings: Return)

Daily Doubles
Kirstin: 3800-1000
Kate: 9200+3000
Kirstin: 11000+2500

Coryats
Kirstin: 16800
Megan: minus 1000
Kate: 12800

Combined: 28,600
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JLJ
Valued Contributor

Post by JLJ »

Comments relative to today's show contained under spoilers below. You've been satisfactorily warned.
Spoiler
Ugh. Not again.
Spoiler
So, really quite a good match today between challenger Kate and returning champ Kirstin. I feel genuinely bad for Megan who could just never get in on the buzzer at all. Kate and Kirstin were just so good at the signaling device that Megan had no chance.

Kate had been in charge of most of the game from a score standpoint,but Kirstin made a pretty furious charge toward the end, taking Clues 24-30, less a TS on Clue 25, to finish in the lead for the game.

The FJ clue was a perfectly reasonable piece of knowable trivia. It's Oscar related, recent, non-obscure stuff. The clue given wasn't weirdly phrased at all. The response called for was exceedingly long, though. Expecting a ten word title to a movie as the correct FJ response is just absurd. I think that for anyone to actually write out the entire response on the screen, within time allowed, would have to instaget the response and start writing right away.

Tough for Kate, who was into the second half of the movie title when time ran out, lost her entire total with a double-up effort wager, to finish on 0 for the game. Kirstin just wrote "What is sorry?" but only made a zero cover wager against Kate, and held on for the win.

Disappointing to see a contestant who clearly knows the correct response lose a game in that way. Kate was a very strong player. Very good at the buzzer and had a strong base of knowledge, too.
Ok. Soapbox over. Enjoy Potent Potables today, folks.
16709705_10154875343291855_1072868417_o.jpg
16709705_10154875343291855_1072868417_o.jpg (80.24 KiB) Viewed 8235 times
I'm living proof to show that a good attitude, a Southern accent, a ridiculous beard, and a middling amount of trivia knowledge can get you onto Jeopardy!
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

JLJ wrote:Comments relative to today's show contained under spoilers below. You've been satisfactorily warned.
Spoiler
The response called for was exceedingly long, though. Expecting a ten word title to a movie as the correct FJ response is just absurd. I think that for anyone to actually write out the entire response on the screen, within time allowed, would have to instaget the response and start writing right away.
Spoiler
I just tried it on a pad of paper knowing the answer instantly and it took me 15 seconds with a decent pen. Definitely not an easy task.
JLJ
Valued Contributor

Post by JLJ »

acthomas wrote:
JLJ wrote:Comments relative to today's show contained under spoilers below. You've been satisfactorily warned.
Spoiler
The response called for was exceedingly long, though. Expecting a ten word title to a movie as the correct FJ response is just absurd. I think that for anyone to actually write out the entire response on the screen, within time allowed, would have to instaget the response and start writing right away.
Spoiler
I just tried it on a pad of paper knowing the answer instantly and it took me 15 seconds with a decent pen. Definitely not an easy task.
Spoiler
Similar for me. Already knowing the answer, writing everything out in a way that was reasonably legible, sitting at a desk, with a pen on legal pad, took me 16 seconds (not including the "What is" which I don't count due to being written down before FJ clue is revealed). To get the entire response in really would require basically an immediate get on the response and fast legible handwriting.
I'm living proof to show that a good attitude, a Southern accent, a ridiculous beard, and a middling amount of trivia knowledge can get you onto Jeopardy!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nice start by Kate with the run in SLAMILTON and nice close by Kirstin to have the lead for the FJ! round.

In between it saddened me that no one knew Gilligan = Little Buddy while I avoided having to spring the triple trap door when at least Theodore Cleaver = Beaver was hit.

I had $50 bet in my head that no way those contestants were going to get The Cars off Candy-O and my money was secure.

Barbary Coast = San Francisco is the kind I'll gladly collect the trash on.

A neg of an Australian animal was predictable on the Rabbit clue as I expected kangaroo and/or even dingo. Rabbit-Proof Fence is a good movie and the kind you can recommend to others who aren't likely to hate your suggestion.

An FJ! clue about Best Picture winners and a range of years that is clearly defined is very good for me. I wrote out completely The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King to have a no doubt complete response.

If Kate had done "LOTR: Return of the King" she could have been ruled correct and completed it on time? Perhaps "Return of the King" would have sufficed? With only two players for the round and no variety of accepted responses it's hard to know where the judging line lies.

For the weekly poll I would say check the box for getting the clue right making your best judgment for what your wrote or thought and whether it would have been enough.

Certainly, missing a "The" before "Lord" and/or "Return" would not cause a neg. No "the" before "King?" That's a problem.

The response was a lot to write and that cost Kate the title leaving Alex and the judges no option to accept her partial response. Yes, about 15-16 seconds for me with pen on paper as well. With the light pen it definitely would take longer.

This daily game threads are marked for spoilers and anyone venturing in here early knows what to expect. Even when posts are made in the early morning or early afternoon it is not necessary to use the spoiler box. J! airs at 9:30 central in some cities and comments are fair game from that point.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think they'd have taken just The Return of the King, but that's just a guess. I wrote down The Two Towers. Recent Oscar winners is something I'd need to study if I got the call.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Poor Megan. That was tough to watch.

Poor Kate. That was tough to watch.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

opusthepenguin wrote:Poor Megan. That was tough to watch.

Ditto.

Instaget on FJ. Haven't considered how long it would take to write it though. They probably would have accepted just the return of the king.

For Hamilton paper, I went with Bermuda. How many others? Muscat daily a TS? OK.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I insta-said "The Return of the King" I hope you didn't need the Lord of the Rings part, which I agree is too much to write down. Tough break.

Those two were great contestants, and I thought for sure we were going to get a new champ after the Slamilton category.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

I can't believe they wouldn't accept The Return Of The King and there's probably a good case for just Retun Of The King.

Then again, would they accept Singing In The Rain (with the appropriate clue, of course)?
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

I wonder how they would have felt about "LOTR Return of the King". It's a pretty common way to refer to both the series and that specific movie, at least on Sporcle.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Return of the King - part of a trilogy...not a sequel.
Mad Max Fury Road- not a sequel?
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Someone on reddit pointed out that you could possibly argue that The Silence of the Lambs is a sequel to Manhunter.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MDaunt wrote:Return of the King - part of a trilogy...not a sequel.
Mad Max didn't win Best Picture.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Elijah Baley wrote:
MDaunt wrote:Return of the King - part of a trilogy...not a sequel.
Mad Max didn't win Best Picture.
Never mind...

Emily Litella
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

We've gone this long without an overanalysis of a bad wager? It must be a Jboard record.
Why weren't the writers warned not to have six clues about "Hamilton" (one for the Canadian city and five for the orphan immigrant decorated war vet)? Surprised no one got "Oman" when spotted "Muscat," but then, nobody studies world capitals anymore.
Wouldn't have gotten FJ in a million years, despite having seen the film. 1/4 this week.
Hoping for a third lap
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

There are lots of red fruits. How should I know that drink is made with cranberry and not, say, cherry? That whole category was YEKIOYD again.

I knew "vulpine" because I'm a furry. Wasn't quite as helpful in the Man vs. Beast category. :P

Gilligan = little buddy was a very obscure generational clue IMO, especially considering they got Beaver and not that one.

Lach Trash: fishing.

I never would've considered the LotR films. Best guess I had was Toy Story 2.
theamazingchong
Valued Contributor

Post by theamazingchong »

doihavetoreally wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:Poor Megan. That was tough to watch.

Ditto.

Instaget on FJ. Haven't considered how long it would take to write it though. They probably would have accepted just the return of the king.

For Hamilton paper, I went with Bermuda. How many others? Muscat daily a TS? OK.
+1 for Bermuda. When Kate (?) got negged, I thought that I misremembered and that it must be The Bahamas--Canada didn't occur to me at all.