Thursday, February 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Thursday, February 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall »

doihavetoreally wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:Poor Megan. That was tough to watch.

Poor Kate. That was tough to watch.
Ditto.
Tritto. Kate could really have been a formidable force if not for that Final Jeopardy and/or wager. (IANAWV so I'll defer, was that a bad wager for her? My gut says it is, but I'm a bad wagerer myself.)
doihavetoreally wrote:For Hamilton paper, I went with Bermuda. How many others?
Not a country.
doihavetoreally wrote:Muscat daily a TS? OK.
Alex really showed his age with his "Muscat and Oman" prompt (the country hasn't been called that since 1970 or 1971 to my recall.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Not me.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

It's actually nice to see that younger people are not contaminated by the theme song to Gilligan's Island and therefore have room in their brains for something useful. I like that the writers leave candy for everybody - I'm just slightly depressed that now it is my demographic that gets the nostalgia clues that once were Tommy Dorsey questions.

FJ: I guessed Rocky III. I've never seen any of them but it seems like one of them is notable for being the best of the lot, after the initial surprise of the first low budget movie's success. The trilogy never occurred to me, but I'd have missed the subtitles in any case. I think the Roman numeral in Godfather II created some negbait potential, but it should have been gettable for a J! quality contestant. Surely Kate only took the time to write LOTR out longhand while she debated which movie to name.

I was surprised at Kirsten's last DD wager which required her to run the table after getting beat to the buzzer pretty soundly earlier. I agree it is sad that a potential correct answer lost to a surrender on account of writing time.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $30,800
42 R/5 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: South Africa, Oman, The Cars, scarecrow (DD), buddy, Mycroft Holmes, ecology, San Francisco

I would have been tempted to wager as Kirstin did given my weakness with Oscars trivia, but this one came to me more or less immediately.

Dat DD wager doe.

World capitals, people. Get 'em down pat.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Gilligan = little buddy was a very obscure generational clue IMO, especially considering they got Beaver and not that one.
Generational, yes. Obscure, no. The Skipper called Gilligan (his last name, BTW) "little buddy" in virtually every episode.
Sprinkles are for winners.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm almost certain "The Return of the King" would be accepted. For example, on a clue about Star Wars Episode I they would clearly take just "The Phantom Menace" rather than requiring "Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace."

Did anyone else think Kate looked a little like Olivia Wilde?
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

dhkendall wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote:

Ditto.
Tritto. Kate could really have been a formidable force if not for that Final Jeopardy and/or wager. (IANAWV so I'll defer, was that a bad wager for her? My gut says it is, but I'm a bad wagerer myself.)
During the break, the range I gave Kate was $5,001 - $9,599. The latter protects her on the downside if Kirstin makes the lock-out bet and it's a double stumper, and the former is what allows her to cover a double-get if Kirstin does... exactly what she did.

I was fortunate that the correct FJ! response landed in the latter half of the four-plus decade range suggested by the clue, where my recall of Best Picture winners is much stronger, leading me to hit it in about two seconds. Confirmed it by remembering that The Return of the King landed a clean sweep of its eleven nominations at the 76th Academy Awards, and that neither of the other two installments were that extensively nominated.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I'm almost certain "The Return of the King" would be accepted. For example, on a clue about Star Wars Episode I they would clearly take just "The Phantom Menace" rather than requiring "Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace."

Did anyone else think Kate looked a little like Olivia Wilde?
Not even remotely. I was so surprised by this comparison that I looked at Kate's photo again, thinking perhaps I was the one recalling it wrong. But no, aside from both having shoulder-length brown hair, I don't see any resemblance.

Ethnically, Kate looks very much like a number of American Jews I knew through friends and family. Wilde has completely different facial lines and composition. I guessed some type of British ancestry with something else, which turned out to be correct.

On an amusing note, I've noticed white Americans are poor at telling various white ethnic groups apart. Understandable, given that most have descendants from several different European nations.
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

Ok, in the words of Yosemite Sam, when you go after quality TV shows like Gilligan's Island, Green Acres, & The Beverly Hillbillies, "Them there's fightin words!" I'll watch those (real humor, no dialogue where every other word is a swear/curse word!) over mind-numbing shows like Game of Thrones anyday! (let's see how many characters bite the dust in this episode!) Game On!! 8-)
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

dhkendall wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote:

Ditto.
Not a country.
doihavetoreally wrote:Muscat daily a TS? OK.
Alex really showed his age with his "Muscat and Oman" prompt (the country hasn't been called that since 1970 or 1971 to my recall.)
Oh.. That makes sense in Hamilton.

What do you mean on Oman?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

theamazingchong wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote:

Ditto.

Instaget on FJ. Haven't considered how long it would take to write it though. They probably would have accepted just the return of the king.

For Hamilton paper, I went with Bermuda. How many others? Muscat daily a TS? OK.
+1 for Bermuda. When Kate (?) got negged, I thought that I misremembered and that it must be The Bahamas--Canada didn't occur to me at all.
For Hamilton paper, I went straight to Bahamas, knowing that Bermuda isn't independent, and forgetting that Hamilton isn't in the Bahamas!
Canada didn't occur to me at all, either.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

IronNeck wrote:On an amusing note, I've noticed white Americans are poor at telling various white ethnic groups apart. Understandable, given that most have descendants from several different European nations.
Us people all look alike to us.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

mfc248 wrote:I was fortunate that the correct FJ! response landed in the latter half of the four-plus decade range suggested by the clue, where my recall of Best Picture winners is much stronger, leading me to hit it in about two seconds. Confirmed it by remembering that The Return of the King landed a clean sweep of its eleven nominations at the 76th Academy Awards, and that neither of the other two installments were that extensively nominated.
Fellowship was more nominated (13), but only won four of them.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Maven wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I think they'd have taken just The Return of the King, but that's just a guess. I wrote down The Two Towers. Recent Oscar winners is something I'd need to study if I got the call.
JayK33 wrote:I was so confident with this one. I knew it was Lord of the Rings, but I picked the wrong sequel. I went with the second one instead.
I had The Two Towers for FJ too, and thus my overall slump continues. Despite how 'wonderful' my Oscar knowledge is, something I do remember is how remarkably well the Lord Of The Rings trilogy did at the Oscars*...if only I'd picked the right sequel. *gently smacks her head*

* - That and $$$$ (of course) are why Peter Jackson freakin' expanded The Hobbit from a standalone into a ridiculous (at least IMO given the amount of source material) trilogy. Any desire I had to see The Hobbit (easily my favorite Tolkien book) instantly went out the window with the news of that...grr, argh to this day and forever.
Arguably, the first two LOTR films didn't do that well at the Oscars, picking up 6 between them in technical categories - which is nothing to sneeze at, but Fellowship had been expected to do a little better in the more prestigious categories. On the flip side, The Return of the King probably won more than it should have, maybe to make up for the earlier misses.

As for the Hobbit movies, I would agree that the idea of a trilogy was a bad one and pretty obviously aimed at trying to recapture the LOTR financial success. The first and third were decent enough, but I couldn't even really tell you what happened in the second one. But, this is the new Hollywood model - find material that will support at least three movies and maybe more. The fact that there is a Fast & Furious 8 says that this model will be around a while.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I hate to be the curmudgeonly one, but I found this game somewhat painful to watch with so much left on the boards. Plenty of Lach trash to be sure, but -- despite the three contestants all being quite engaging -- not the most fun episode to watch. FJ whipsawed me. I first put down LOTR TROK, then waffled about whether it would be considered a sequel. Spent the next 10-15 sec running through all of the high profile sequels that were more famous than the original (Rambo, The Road Warrior, SoTL, etc.) but couldn't find a Best Picture winner among them. When the reveal came, I was actually quite surprised.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote:I first put down LOTR TROK, then waffled about whether it would be considered a sequel.
Why are people questioning whether or not it is a sequel?
JLJ
Valued Contributor

Post by JLJ »

Volante wrote:
OntarioQuizzer wrote: The original "Manhunter", in a cinematic sense, bears no thematic, acting, directing, or production ties to the film "The Silence of the Lambs". Thus, in a cinematic sense, I would say one is not a sequel to the other.
Silence of the Lambs is effectively a Lecterverse reboot. It's as much a sequel as Batman Begins is to Batman and Robin.

15 seconds here too, to write out the whole thing cleanly, but I believe you can start as soon as the clue's revealed?
Can't start writing until Alex finishes reading the clue and the screen opens up for writing. You can, of course, start considering your response as quickly as you're able to read and parse the clue (minus the "What is" or "Who is" part of the response-which contestants are instructed to write down between the end of DJ and FJ, while preparing your FJ wager).
I'm living proof to show that a good attitude, a Southern accent, a ridiculous beard, and a middling amount of trivia knowledge can get you onto Jeopardy!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

econgator wrote:
Woof wrote:I first put down LOTR TROK, then waffled about whether it would be considered a sequel.
Why are people questioning whether or not it is a sequel?
AT: "Don't overthink these clues!" Ergo; Instaget. The wife also instaget. Super easy FJ. Overthink > 2nd guess > Doubt urself > change correct response to wrongs.

45R; LT: The Cars, Willa Cather > Quebec City, Ecology symbol (!wow- am I so old?!), San Franciso, Jack Kerouac > Lowell, MA, Gilligan > LIttle Buddy, piscatology = study fish/fishing, Niacin = B3, cryobiology & FJ (admittedly a long write-out, Kate just ran outtatime, so not really a DS FJ, eh). In spite of above speculation Kirsten's bet on a very flakey category that usually spawns impossible clues made good sense, she expected a TS for FJ and got it. WTG! Good play and tough competition from Kate. Hard game to win! :P
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

rmfromfla wrote:Ok, in the words of Yosemite Sam, when you go after quality TV shows like Gilligan's Island, Green Acres, & The Beverly Hillbillies, "Them there's fightin words!" I'll watch those (real humor, no dialogue where every other word is a swear/curse word!) over mind-numbing shows like Game of Thrones anyday! (let's see how many characters bite the dust in this episode!) Game On!! 8-)
Well said. There's practically nothing new worth watching on the tube these days... Jeopardy! of course, some other game/quiz shows, and Big Bang Theory. That's about it, other than live sports.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

JLJ wrote:
Volante wrote:
OntarioQuizzer wrote: The original "Manhunter", in a cinematic sense, bears no thematic, acting, directing, or production ties to the film "The Silence of the Lambs". Thus, in a cinematic sense, I would say one is not a sequel to the other.
Silence of the Lambs is effectively a Lecterverse reboot. It's as much a sequel as Batman Begins is to Batman and Robin.

15 seconds here too, to write out the whole thing cleanly, but I believe you can start as soon as the clue's revealed?
Can't start writing until Alex finishes reading the clue and the screen opens up for writing. You can, of course, start considering your response as quickly as you're able to read and parse the clue (minus the "What is" or "Who is" part of the response-which contestants are instructed to write down between the end of DJ and FJ, while preparing your FJ wager).
I did not know that. I'll have to change my FJ behavior when I play along.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Elijah Baley wrote: As for the Hobbit movies, I would agree that the idea of a trilogy was a bad one and pretty obviously aimed at trying to recapture the LOTR financial success. The first and third were decent enough, but I couldn't even really tell you what happened in the second one. But, this is the new Hollywood model - find material that will support at least three movies and maybe more. The fact that there is a Fast & Furious 8 says that this model will be around a while.
So much fell apart for the Hobbit movies, but there was already so much sunk cost. The extras are everyone (including Peter Jackson) saying Peter Jackson really really didn't want to come back.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)