Friday, February 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, February 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7465, 2017-02-10

CONTESTANTS
Brandon Beckler, a naval officer from Honolulu, Hawaii
Sara Callori, a physics professor from Redlands, California
Kirstin Cutts, a graduate student from Austin, Texas (whose 2-day cash winnings total $25,602)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. A little bit of forward-thinking news before we get into today's match: whoever wins this game today gets to relax for two weeks, because on Monday, we begin our annual college tournament. Sara, Brandon and Kirstin, welcome and good luck. Let's go to work.

And here are the categories in play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MOVIE TIME (4/5)
GOOD CAUSES (4/5)
WEIGHTS & MEASURES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LITERATURE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE (5/5)
"FEE", "FI", "FO", "FUM" (5/5)
GLOBETROTTING (2/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brandon: 10 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Kirstin: 8 R, 1 W
Sara: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Brandon found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Kirstin had $800, Sara had $1,400, and Brandon was at $600. Brandon wagered $1,000.

WEIGHTS & MEASURES $600: The torr measures atmospheric pressure & is named for Torricelli, best known for inventing this device

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Brandon: $2,600
Sara: $2,400
Kirstin: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: An alliterative name: Brandon Beckler from Honolulu, Hawaii, lieutenant in the U.S. Navy. And you lived for some time in a beautiful city--

Brandon: I did.

Alex: On the African continent.

Brandon: I did. For a year I lived in Cape Town, South Africa.

Alex: Were you in the Navy at the time?

Brandon: I was in the Navy, and I was studying in graduate school at the University of Cape Town. Absolutely loved it. Picked up rugby. Got to go cage diving with great white sharks. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Alex: Okay. Nice to have you with us today.

Alex: Sara Callori from Redlands, California. A physics professor.

Sara: I am.

Alex: When you got married--most times the young lady and her new husband take the first dance. You and your hubby didn't do that.

Sara: No. My husband Jason and I--our first kiss was after a karaoke date. So we had a very small wedding. For an afterparty, we had a karaoke party. We chose a first karaoke song.

Alex: What was the song?

Sara: It was supposed to be "Love Shack" by the B-52s, but we couldn't figure out the controls, so it was "Rock Lobster" instead.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Kirstin Cutts is a graduate student from Austin, Texas. Graduate student in what field?

Kirstin: Um, museum education.

Alex: Museum education.

Kirstin: Yes.

Alex: With a view to winding up doing what? Working at a museum?

Kirstin: Educating at a museum. Well, in an art museum specifically, but I would especially like to work with teachers and school programs and figure out how to get younger students in the museum. Once they're there, help them figure out what they think and how to talk about it.

Alex: And are you specializing in any one area of art?

Kirstin: Um, whatever's on the walls.

Alex: Oh.

[Laughter]

Alex: Sort of like my house. Whatever's on the wall, that's art. Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GOOD CAUSES $1000: This website that uses the logo seen here is your guide to intelligent giving

WEIGHTS & MEASURES $800: This standard hardware item is measured in pennys
(Kirstin: What is a hammer?)

MOVIE TIME $1000: 1987:
"____ O'Clock High"

GLOBETROTTING $200: One travel guide calls this country "a mountainous slice of Central America immediately south of Mexico"

GLOBETROTTING $400: Africa Serendipity offers a tour called "Panorama Migration" this trip & sends you from Arusha to Nairobi
(Sara: What is Kenya?)

GLOBETROTTING $1000: A trip to these lakes in County Kerry should include a visit to Ross Castle on the shores of Lough Leane

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Brandon: $6,000
Kirstin: $3,800
Sara: $3,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, February 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
KHAN MEN (3/5)
STATE SCHOOL ALUMNI (2/5)
6-LETTER WORDS (4/5)
THE "EL"EMENTS (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
FLOWER POWER (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WON'T YOU TAKE ME TO FUNKYTOWN? (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brandon: 8 R, 0 W
Kirstin: 7 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Sara: 4 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 10
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $14,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sara snagged the next Daily Double on the 20th clue. Kirstin had $7,400, Sara had $7,400, and Brandon was at $8,400. Sara wagered $1,000.

THE "EL"EMENTS $1600: It was created in 1957 at a Stockholm institute named for the same man
(Sara: What is mendelevium?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kirstin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Kirstin had $8,200, Sara had $6,400, and Brandon was at $8,400. Kirstin wagered $2,000.

FLOWER POWER $1200: Vanilla is a type of this flowering plant

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WON'T YOU TAKE ME TO FUNKYTOWN? $1600: 1973's "Funky Stuff" was the first Top 40 hit of this funk-tastic band; "Jungle Boogie" was next

WON'T YOU TAKE ME TO FUNKYTOWN? $2000: The queen of funk, Chaka Khan...Chaka Khan...let me rock you, Chaka Khan, with this 1984 hit; that's all I wanna do

6-LETTER WORDS $1200: This part of speech tells place, time, manner & degree

THE "EL"EMENTS $800: It's named for the Pac-12 city where it was discovered

STATE SCHOOL ALUMNI $1200: Arthur Miller, Madonna

STATE SCHOOL ALUMNI $1600: Ashley Judd, Mitch McConnell

STATE SCHOOL ALUMNI $2000: Raul Castro (not that one, but a governor of the state), Annika Sorenstam, Barry Goldwater

THE "EL"EMENTS $2000: Alphabetically just before terbium, it gets its name from Latin for "earth"

KHAN MEN $400: Pashtun leader & nonviolence advocated Abdul Ghaffar Khan was known as the "frontier" this man whom he'd advised

KHAN MEN $1600: Xanadu you know that Shizu was the temple name of this man born in 1215?
(Kirstin: Who is Marco Polo?)
(Sara: Who is the Buddha?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Brandon: $14,000
Kirstin: $10,600
Sara: $4,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY CHARACTERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place.
Brandon: Wager $7,201 to cover Kirstin.
Kirstin: You'll want to wager $3,401, and you'll win the game if Brandon wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Sara: You can't really win on a Triple Stumper, so your best hope is if you're the only one to get Final right. Wager everything but a few dollars.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
When we first meet her in the novel, she's wearing a green dress with 12 yards of fabric & matching slippers from Atlanta

FINAL SCORES
Sara: $4,800 + $4,799 = $9,599 (Who is Scarlet O'hara?) (2nd place)
Kirstin: $10,600 + $5,000 = $15,600 (Who is Scarlett O'Hara?) (25603-day champion: $15,600)
Brandon: $14,000 - $7,201 = $6,799 (Who is the Good witch?) (3rd place)
(Alex: In the movie, she's wearing a different dress when we first meet her.)
(Alex: [To Sara] The character is [*] from Gone With the Wind/)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $18,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Brandon: $13,600, 18 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Kirstin: $9,800, 15 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Sara: $5,800, 10 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $29,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Brandon: 18/59 = .305
Kirstin: 16/59 = .271
Sara: 11/59 = .186
Team: 45/63 = .714

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
LITERATURE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE $600: Before the euro, this royal children's book character appeared on the French 50-franc note

6-LETTER WORDS $400: Airships also find shelter in this type of building; the one seen here is at Wingfoot Lake in Ohio

FLOWER POWER $800: You may be familiar with this plant in a baked potato sense, but its purple flowers are quite appetizing in their own way

FLOWER POWER $1600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows an animation of sunflowers on the monitor.) Sunflower buds follow the course of the sun as it tracks through the sky, thanks to an internal clock giving them this kind of rhythm, just like humans

CORRECT RESPONSES
a barometer
Charity Navigator
a nail
Three O'Clock High
Guatemala
safari
the Lakes of Killarney
nobelium
an orchid
Kool & the Gang
"I Feel For You"
an adverb
berkelium
University of Michigan at Ann Arbor
University of Kentucky
the University of Arizona
tellurium
Mahatma Gandhi
Kublai Khan
Scarlett O'Hara
the Little Prince
a hangar
chives
circadian
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY CHARACTERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
When we first meet her in the novel, she’s wearing a green dress with 12 yards of fabric & matching slippers from Atlanta

Kirstin Cutts: 10600+5000=15600 (3x = $41,202)
Sara Callori: 4800+4799=9599
Brandon Beckler: 14000-7201=6799

Correct response:
Spoiler
Scarlett O’Hara (Sara – Scarlet O’Hara) (Brandon – The Good Witch)

Daily Doubles
Brandon: 600+1000
Sara: 7400-1000
Kirstin: 8200+2000

Coryats
Kirstin: 9800
Sara: 5800
Brandon: 13600

Combined: 29,200
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Nobody knew where Barry Goldwater was from? Guess I'm getting old.

Near instaget FJ for me. I guess Brandon got hung up on slippers and didn't see Atlanta.
forzagiersy
Contributor

Post by forzagiersy »

Bamaman wrote:Nobody knew where Barry Goldwater was from? Guess I'm getting old.

Near instaget FJ for me. I guess Brandon got hung up on slippers and didn't see Atlanta.
Everyone else whiffing on Michigan and Kentucky was even more surprising to me.

Also I got "I Feel For You" instantly because when I was in college (at a state school, yes--Mizzou) Sasha Kaun played for Kansas, and I taunted him by saying his name like Chaka Khan's name at the start of that song.

FJ, too, for me was an insta-get.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Michigan was my only my miss in state schools, said Minnesota.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Here's a fortuitous FJ clue related to today's episode:

COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES

The green "curtain dress" that Vivien Leigh wore as Scarlett O'Hara in the film "Gone With The Wind" is in the permanent collection of the Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center on the campus of this university (where the defending champion is currently a grad student)."
Spoiler
The University of Texas at Austin
(Yeah, I know, too wordy. I just thought it was a funny coincidence.)
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget. For both Goatman & Wife. I am astounded that a physics professor would not instantly repond; "Nobelium" to a clue about an element discovered in Stockholm, 1959. Really?!
Retrowiki on this interesting factoma reveals the Russian Dubna team got discovery credit since the Swedes could not validate their claim, but deferred the naming to Sweden, hence 'Nobel-ium.'

50R! 9 LT: Guatemala > South of Mexico, Lake Killarney, Ireland, Kerry County; 1973 Kool & the Gang (MY ONLY get in Funky!), Berkelium, adverb (6), Ashley Judd & Mitch McConnell > KY U, Barry Goldwater (Mr Conservative, 1964 R-nominee vs LBJ) > AZ; Tellurium alphabetically ante Terbium (one of four elements found in a Swedish mine near Ytterby, also Erbium, Ytterbium, Yttrium, precall!) ex Latin; "Earth" = Tellus; Kublai Khan b 1215 (same year John signed Magna Carta, eh?!). A powerhouse game for goats to be sure. Ahhh, the Call will never come! :evil:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I will bet this FJ polls very high. Atlanta + book = instaget.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Kenny wrote:Here's a fortuitous FJ clue related to today's episode:

COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES

The green "curtain dress" that Vivien Leigh wore as Scarlett O'Hara in the film "Gone With The Wind" is in the permanent collection of the Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center on the campus of this university (where the defending champion is currently a grad student)."
Spoiler
The University of Texas at Austin
(Yeah, I know, too wordy. I just thought it was a funny coincidence.)
The opening of GWTW refers to a different green dress, *not* the curtain dress from later in the work.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Did Sara think she had won? When they pulled out after Brandon's response was revealed, it seemed like she had that "Oh my God, I won!" look about her.

Maybe she just realized she had won and extra grand, though,
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

econgator wrote:Did Sara think she had won? When they pulled out after Brandon's response was revealed, it seemed like she had that "Oh my God, I won!" look about her.

Maybe she just realized she had won and extra grand, though,
Yes, I noticed that too. Maybe, she and Kirstin bonded over the course of tapings. It must be nice to be happy irrespective of the outcome.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

forzagiersy wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Nobody knew where Barry Goldwater was from? Guess I'm getting old.

Everyone else whiffing on Michigan and Kentucky was even more surprising to me.
The Kentucky one was, but I thought Michigan was challenging.

Anywho, Kirstin once again bet timidly on a DD, and it hurt her badly, as she would have otherwise had a lead going into FJ. Luckily, she was bailed out by Brandon missing one of the easier FJs we have seen in the past month. Good play by him otherwise, but one has to get FJs of that caliber to be a champion.

LT: Guatemala, adverb, Berkelium, Kentucky, Kublai Khan

FJ: Instaget
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I ran "El"ements and Khans, but I couldn't remember Pharrell's name or Scarlett. Would "Who Is O'Hara?" have been enough?

I also only got the first and last clues in State Schools, but I thought those were the two easiest ones (Madonna being from Michigan comes up in one question in the Pointless app, but I have a hard time remembering it there, too).
Last edited by dinghammer on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

When the FJ situation finally dictates that Kirstin wager small, she bets $5,000. Okay.

Instead of what we got, I would have liked to see a clue like this for tellurium: "A film festival–hosting Colorado city is named for this element, albeit with a different suffix"
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

Well, if I didn't instaget that FJ, there truly wouldn't have been any hope. And while I'm normally not one to grouse about certain FJs' difficulty/lack there of, I must say that if any FJ this week had the feel of prepping for the upcoming college tourney, it was most definitely this one over Monday's.

Ran Funkytown...'cause I'm groovy like that. :ugeek:
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

dinghammer wrote:I ran "El"ements and Khans, but I couldn't remember Pharrell's name or Scarlett. Would "Who Is O'Hara?" have been enough?
I would be inclined to say no, since there are 5 characters in the novel with that surname, 3 of them very significant.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

goatman wrote:Instaget. For both Goatman & Wife. I am astounded that a physics professor would not instantly repond; "Nobelium" to a clue about an element discovered in Stockholm, 1959. Really?!
:
In her defense, as a practicing scientist, after you learn about these pointless novelty elements (Berkelium and Nobelium, and all the trans-uranics) in high school chemistry, you never care about them again. They have little to do with actual science. Sort of like the manned space program, imho.

The category was harder than I expected and I was forced to pause because I wasn't going to be told the answer. The TOM for Tellurium didn't work for me and I had to just back up the alphabet. Got them all, but no way to do it in real time.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Three O'Clock High was very worthy of last box and I have no recognition of it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094138/

"Jungle Boogie" is heard in Pulp Fiction, so I can't believe the song is unknown to three J! players. The problem had to be naming the group.

Another well-known song from the '80s is unknown on J! in the 2010s with the Chaka Khan song a stumper. :twisted:

STATE SCHOOL ALUMNI should have played better than it went tonight as those were not obscure names.

The FJ! clue was a lock for Scarlett O'Hara with the big doubt being whether Brandon would get it or not as I figured the clue was going to be at worst 2/3 correct.

College Championship for February sweeps to add another person to the TOC pool and perhaps one more to close out the month depending on how it goes for Kirstin's return on the 27th.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

IronNeck wrote:
dinghammer wrote:I ran "El"ements and Khans, but I couldn't remember Pharrell's name or Scarlett. Would "Who Is O'Hara?" have been enough?
I would be inclined to say no, since there are 5 characters in the novel with that surname, 3 of them very significant.
Of course, thanks.

These days when I can't recall names like this are just one of the reasons I've never even taken the online test.