Wednesday, February 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7468, 2017-02-15

2017 College Tournament quarterfinal game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Clarissa Santori, a senior at Northeastern University from Ellicott City, Maryland
Mari Hanley, a junior at Stetson University from Lighthouse Point, Florida
Alex Bourzutschky, a junior at Caltech from Potomac, Maryland

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Ladies and gentlemen. The good news is if you keep winning in this tournament, you have a shot at picking up $100,000 in cash. The bad news is if you lose in the quarterfinal matches and don't make it to the semifinals, you go home with $5,000. If you do make it to the semifinals and lose, you go home with $10,000. Not too bad when you think about it. Clarissa, Mari, and Alex, welcome. Good luck. Here we go.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SHAKESPEAREAN YARD SALE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
AMERICAN HISTORY (5/5)
POLICE GLOSSARY (4/5)
SINGLE-NAMED SINGERS (4/5)
WHAT ARE YOU AFRAID OF? (5/5)
"EV"ERYTHING (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Clarissa: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Mari: 9 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Alex: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mari found the Daily Double on the 7th clue. Alex had $600, Mari had $1,600, and Clarissa was at $200. Mari made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,600.

SHAKESPEAREAN YARD SALE $800: Amphibian and canine ingredients are included with the item from this play

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Mari: $3,600
Clarissa: $2,200
Alex: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Clarissa Santori is a senior at Northeastern University, and her major is chemistry. And you have a collection that is chemistry-related. Tell us about that.

Clarissa: Yeah, so all of my friends and family know that of course I love chemistry, and I also love baking and cooking as hobbies. So for every holiday, people think it'd be a great idea to get me a gift that combines the two. So I've kind of started accidentally a collection of chemistry-themed cooking gadgets.

Alex: Give me an example of one of those gadgets.

Clarissa: I've got test-tube spice racks, beaker measuring cup, stuff like that. I have quite a few things. I love it. It's great.

Alex: Okay. Good for you, yes.

Alex: Mari Hanley, a junior at Stetson University whose major is history. Where exactly is Stetson?

Mari: Stetson University is in DeLand, Florida. So we're about a half-hour out of Daytona.

Alex: Okay. Now you did something kind of neat at your high school graduation. I wanna hear about it.

Mari: Yes, I did. I released butterflies. There was no planned butterfly release that day.

Alex: Well, wait a minute. You release butterflies. Where did you get all these butterflies?

Mari: Um, I--there's a company that puts them out for weddings and other things like that, so I got the butterflies, and uh, got them--

Alex: Was it a big surprise for everybody?

Mari: Oh, gosh, they didn't know what to do.

[Laughter]

Alex: Really?

Mari: Yep.

Alex: You were Big Girl On Campus for a while, weren't you? Yes.

Alex Trebek: Alex Bourzutschky from Potomac, Maryland, whose major is physics. And you won a silver medal for Team USA in what competition?

Alex Bourzutschky: The International Physics Olympiad.

Alex Trebek: Where was it held?

Alex Bourzutschky: It was in Astana, Kazakhstan.

Alex Trebek: Now, wait a minute. It's a physics competition. Is it held in English, or is physics a universal language, because of all of the formulae that come up?

Alex Bourzutschky: We like to think that it's universal, but the competition was indeed in English.

Alex Trebek: In English.

Alex Bourzutschky: For the most part.

Alex Trebek: All right. Silver medalist, way to go.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SHAKESPEAREAN YARD SALE $1000: It's up, up and away for bliss with a prop seen here from this tragedy

POLICE GLOSSARY $400: As a verb, it's to steal a small item; as a noun, it's slang for a police informant
(Alex Bourzutschky: What is pinch?)
(Mari: What is sneak?)

SINGLE-NAMED SINGERS $800: He collaborated with Pitbull on "DJ Got Us Fallin' In Love"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Clarissa: $7,600
Mari: $4,600
Alex: $2,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
EASTERN RELIGION & PHILOSOPHY (5/5)
WHAT A CHARACTER! (4/5)
BIG ISLANDS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SCIENCE (5/5)
WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY? (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alex: 13 R (including 2 rebounds and 2 DDs), 1 W
Clarissa: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Mari: 6 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alex snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Alex had $4,400, Mari had $3,000, and Clarissa was at $8,000. Alex made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,400.

BIG ISLANDS $1600: This "fiery" island divided between Chile & Argentina is the largest in South America

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Alex who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Alex had $16,800, Mari had $8,600, and Clarissa was at $13,600. Alex wagered $2,000.

ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS $1200: It's the acronym for the organization that runs soccer's World Cup

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WHAT A CHARACTER! $2000: This Union Secretary of State is a character in "Lincoln"

WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY? $2000: In 1813: "We have met the enemy and they are ours"
(Mari: Who is Andrew Jackson?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Alex: $20,000
Clarissa: $18,000
Mari: $8,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. POLITICAL PARTIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Alex: Wager $16,001 to cover Clarissa.
Clarissa: Try wagering $1,599, which is as much as you can put up against Alex without being usurped by a doubled score on the part of Mari.
Mari: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Clarissa, but if Clarissa decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $4,200.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Shortly before its demise, it had split into "Conscience" & "Cotton" factions

FINAL SCORES
Mari: $8,200 + $8,001 = $16,201 (What is the Whig Party?) (2nd place)
Clarissa: $18,000 - $4,000 = $14,000 (What is the free soil party) (3rd place)
Alex: $20,000 + $3,599 = $23,599 (What is the Whig Party?) (Automatic semifinalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Clarissa: $18,000, 21 R, 0 W
Alex: $16,400, 20 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Mari: $7,400, 15 R (including 1 DD), 6 W
Combined Coryat: $41,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Clarissa: 21/58 = .362
Alex: 21/60 = .350
Mari: 16/59 = .271
Team: 58/63 = .921

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SHAKESPEAREAN YARD SALE $200: Calendars can always be reused; here's one with a momentous date for this title Roman

SHAKESPEAREAN YARD SALE $400: Here's an old friend from Act V of this play

SHAKESPEAREAN YARD SALE $600: This comedy makes use of the mask seen here

POLICE GLOSSARY $600: This British word for a cop comes from the name of the man who founded London's police force
(Alex Trebek: Sir Robert Peel.)

"EV"ERYTHING $200: YouTube has several clips of professors reading mean these written by students
(Alex Bourzutschky: What are reviews?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; ruled correct before Double Jeopardy!]

POLICE GLOSSARY $1000: You can listen as dispatchers talk to patrol cars with the radio receiver called a police type of this
(Mari: What is dispatch?)

BIG ISLANDS $400: This is New Zealand's largest island
(Mari: What is Tasmania?)
(Alex Bourzutschky: What is North Island?)

BIG ISLANDS $800: Part of the Malay archipelago, this island is exceeded in size only by Greenland

BIG ISLANDS $1200: It's the largest island in the Mediterranean Sea that's also an independent nation
(Mari: What is Crete?)

SCIENCE $800: (Sarah presents three isotopes of hydrogen on the monitor.) Hydrogen has three isotopes: protium with its nucleus made up of one proton, deuterium with one proton and one neutron, and a third radioactive isotope with an additional neutron giving it a mass number of 3; hence, this name

EASTERN RELIGION & PHILOSOPHY $800: Throughout China, there are temples honoring this great sage and philosopher, who was born in 551 B.C.

ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS $800: Metro San Francisco's rapid transit system is known by this 4-letter acronym
(Alex Trebek: Bay Area Rapid Transit.)

WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY? $400: March 30, 1942: "I shall return"
(Mari: Who is Patton?)

ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS $2000: Australia's most populous state is the one with this 3-letter abbreviation
(Alex Trebek: New South Wales.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Macbeth
Romeo and Juliet
snitch
Usher
Tierra del Fuego
FIFA
William Seward
Oliver Hazard Perry
the Whig party
Julius Caesar
Hamlet
Midsummer Night's Dream
bobby
evaluations (or reviews)
scanner
the South Island
New Guinea
Cyprus
tritium
Confucius
BART
MacArthur
NSW
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. POLITICAL PARTIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Shortly before its demise, it had split into “Conscience” & “Cotton” factions

Alex Bourzutschky: 20000+3599=23599 (Semi-finalist)
Mari Hanley: 8200+8001=16201
Clarissa Santori: 18000-4000=14000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Whig Party (Clarissa – Free Soil Party)

Daily Doubles
Mari: 1600+1600
Alex: 4400+4400
Alex: 16800+2000

Coryats
Alex: 16400
Mari: 7400
Clarissa: 18000

Combined: 41,800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The button Mari had on her collar looked like it said, "NOXIN" and I wondered if there is any significance to it? I see it could be Nixon spelled backwards. Just a student's name at Stetson running for something?

A clue for morbeedo with coulrophobia appearing made me laugh.

Alex gave me a moment of doubt in the FJ! round when he said "way, way back" as I thought, "Uh oh, it could be Federalist?" Nope, all was well in going 3/3 for the week so far.

The combined Coryats have been 40,800, 41,200 and 41,800 so the contestant coordinators and the writers have done well in match-ups of players combined with the material.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Bummer for Clarissa, who obviously knew the references but it's probably the curse of a little too much knowledge. I don't think I've ever heard of the Free Soil Party but looking it up, I can see why it might have caused some doubt about the correct response.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

"How much did you lose -- oh, only 4000".
If you heard some screaming "ONLY????", that was me. I mean, she might still get a WC, but why bet anything? grumblegrumble wildcard cutoffs quarterfinal wagering grumblegrumble

Instaget FJ.

Why was 'review' reversed? Did I misunderstand the category (I thought they all had to start with EV), or did Alex not explain it properly?
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

This was a correct WAG for me, as I just picked an old party that isn't around any more.

Was not surprised that "review" was accepted, though I said evaluation. I guess they had to check the tape if Alex said the phrases had to begin with ev.

Winners so far are from Caltech, MIT, and Stanford - the liberal arts colleges need to step up their game this year.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

xxaaaxx wrote:Why was 'review' reversed? Did I misunderstand the category (I thought they all had to start with EV), or did Alex not explain it properly?
I checked Alex's explanation during the commercial break, because I didn't remember him specifying that the responses had to begin with "ev" (and it usually seems like they don't when it's more than one letter). Alex didn't specify it had to start with "ev," so the reversal was right.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

All but smallpox in History, surprisingly.

"Ev"erything for $200 went miles over my head. NHO "evaluations" in that context. I ended up bombing the category.

T in ROTC was my only miss in Abbreviations.

"New Zealand's largest island". Wait, New Zealand HAS islands?! I thought it was just one big island. That said, I see no way to narrow it down. Looking at it on the map, both North and South look equally large to me. And looking at their actual square mileage, it's by no means a slam dunk. Especially since the smaller of the two has more population.

Lach Trash: snitch.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:The button Mari had on her collar looked like it said, "NOXIN" and I wondered if there is any significance to it? I see it could be Nixon spelled backwards. Just a student's name at Stetson running for something?
I'm thinking it was a NIXON button turned upside down.

Romeo & Juliet was the easiest clue in the category, being all the other usual suspects were uncovered before it. How in the world was that a TS?

And the writers thought they were going to challenge the players with a clue about the Whig party, when spotted them the bit about it being extinct? C'mon
I suspect Clarissa didn't get it because she thought 'Whigs' would be just too obvious.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Category 13 wrote:Romeo & Juliet was the easiest clue in the category, being all the other usual suspects were uncovered before it. How in the world was that a TS?
I didn't get it because I didn't know what the "bliss" was referring to, nor was I expecting R&J to be the bottom box.

Then again, we've had Coriolanus in the TOP box more than once...
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

xxxaaxxx wrote:"How much did you lose -- oh, only 4000".
If you heard some screaming "ONLY????", that was me. I mean, she might still get a WC, but why bet anything? grumblegrumble wildcard cutoffs quarterfinal wagering grumblegrumble
I would have been OK with her betting 1599. At least then she would lock out Mari from beating her in the wildcard.
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Category 13 wrote:Romeo & Juliet was the easiest clue in the category, being all the other usual suspects were uncovered before it. How in the world was that a TS?
nor was I expecting R&J to be the bottom box.
Neither was Mari, evidently...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Although all the responses did start with "ev", Alex did not specify that during the category introductions, so review had to be accepted since it fit the wording of the clue. Had he said it had to start with those two letters, Alex (the player) would have been out of luck.

Whig was my precall. There aren't a lot of parties to choose from they'd use on the show and I suspected it would be a defunct party. I had never heard of the splitting factions, but the names implied the antebellum era and that was when the Whigs existed.

Free Soil wasn't a horrible guess as they were an anti-slavery party from that period. But the cotton branch implied a southern group and thus would not be opposed to slavery. I wrote down Whig quickly and never looked back.

With third locked out and a solid score, Clarissa should have stayed pat or at least capped her bet to drop to $16,401 as Alex did.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $43,200
51 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: snitch, William Seward

Another really solid game from the collegians. I wouldn't have wagered anything from second place, but we shall see whether it makes any difference.
Sprinkles are for winners.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Free Soil was a fair guess, it was in my differential as well as American (Know-Nothings). Conscience clicked for Whig. Must've read it somewhere idk. Read moar! :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

FJ was a coin flip between Whig and Free Soil, and I was glad I picked the right one. Really, though, how many American political parties have there been?
Agree that $40k+ combined Coryats three nights in a row mean the contestant coordinators avoided picking Subarus did a great job. IIRC, the most recent college test was harder than usual.
Hoping for a third lap
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Easy rooting favorite here (and throughout the rest of the tournament), considering Caltech is my alma mater.

We actually didn't have a great Quiz Bowl team during my time there, and one of my friends that was on College Jeopardy lost in the quarterfinals, so I didn't have any particular expectations for Alex.

Furthermore, of the dozen or so people I personally knew that competed at the IPO (International Physics Olympiad), whether they won silver or gold, or were students at Caltech or elsewhere, only one had even the slightest interest in trivia.

So very nice to see him win. Oh, and he bet optimally. I even yelled out "good bet!" on him going all-in on his first DD wager.

LT- snitch, Seward

FJ- Instaget

Clarissa's FJ wager was questionable and might end up haunting her.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

With the fast play the past few nights there has been time to fun the full crawl of credits. I noticed that Aimee Seligstein was no longer listed as a contestant coordinator where now it's Lauri Janover and Ryan Keller.

My Google-fu turned up that Aimee Seligstein is now a Campaign Representative for United Way of the Mid South: https://www.linkedin.com/in/aimeeseligstein
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

MarkBarrett wrote:The button Mari had on her collar looked like it said, "NOXIN" and I wondered if there is any significance to it? I see it could be Nixon spelled backwards.
Could also be that the button was upside-down.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Obviously not a good wager from Clarissa letting another player ahead of her in the WC standing.

When will quarterfinalists learn not to hold anything back when wagering when not already having enough for a WC spot? I seem to remember a recent tournament where the last WC was decided by some ridiculously small amount.