2017 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

There have been rumors that if the dam collapse is bad enough, all of Sacramento will have to be evacuated. How likely is that scenario?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:There have been rumors that if the dam collapse is bad enough, all of Sacramento will have to be evacuated. How likely is that scenario?
Seems highly unlikely. According to this article (http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-w ... 40439.html) -- scroll to the bottom -- Yuba City could be under about 10 feet of water in a catastrophic failure. Yuba is about 30 miles away. Sacramento is about 45 miles past that. Can't imagine there would be much left by that point.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:There have been rumors that if the dam collapse is bad enough, all of Sacramento will have to be evacuated. How likely is that scenario?
Very very unlikely. The dam proper is structurally sound and while another storm is expected soon, the last evacuation was rescinded and they're confident of the states of the spillway. Barring some crazy Final Destination domino effect, there won't be any more nailbiting except from the repair crews.

Also overlooked from last week:
Mike Ilitch, founder of Little Caesar's, owner of the Detroit Tigers and Red Wings, payer of Rosa Parks' rent for 11 years, died.
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1866 ... ies-age-87
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

Volante wrote:Should add this one, given the sometimes California centric nature of clues

The Oroville Dam (tallest in the US)'s normal spillway started falling apart after heavy rains, resulting in an evacuation order for 200,000 people downstream.
On February 17, 2014, it came up (sort of) in the "Non-Naughty Words" category: "Oh, this! rising 770 feet on the Feather River, Oroville is the highest one in the United States."

A. Dam.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Volante wrote:Also overlooked from last week:
Mike Ilitch, founder of Little Caesar's, owner of the Detroit Tigers and Red Wings, payer of Rosa Parks' rent for 11 years, died.
I live in Greater Detroit, and his passing was the number-one story on local news for several days. Ilitch didn't live to see the opening of Little Caesar's Arena in downtown Detroit, where the Red Wings and Pistons will play next season.

The Red Wings, by the way, have made the NHL playoffs 25 consecutive years. The longest playoff streak in all of professional sports (29) belongs to the Boston Bruins.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Blue Lion wrote:
Volante wrote:Also overlooked from last week:
I live in Greater Detroit, and his passing was the number-one story on local news for several days. Ilitch didn't live to see the opening of Little Caesar's Arena in downtown Detroit, where the Red Wings and Pistons will play next season.

The Red Wings, by the way, have made the NHL playoffs 25 consecutive years. The longest playoff streak in all of professional sports (29) belongs to the Boston Bruins.
I was surprised to see that the Wings were dead last in the east this year. Looks like it's not likely they'll make it to 26, especially with so many strong teams in the east.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Tim Hortons has now purchased Popeye's Chicken. Will the Clarity Act force the new subsidiary to be Popeyes Chicken?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:Tim Hortons has now purchased Popeye's Chicken. Will the Clarity Act force the new subsidiary to be Popeyes Chicken?
More precise: the holding company that owns both Burger King and Timmies now also owns Popeyes, it wasn't Tim's itself that purchased Popeyes.

(And, yes, I completely saw your joke, but being pedantic is more fun for me. :) )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante

Post by Volante »

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/ ... ngle-found
"The Life and Adventure of Jack Engle", a Walt Whitman novel, has been rediscovered after 160 years by Zachary Turpin.

Turpin had previously discovered another lost Whitman work, "Manly Health and Training," last year.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/30/book ... -knew.html
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Actor Bill Paxton has died, aged 61.

(Insert obligatory Bill Pullman joke here, you monster.)
Volante

Post by Volante »

9021amyers wrote:Actor Bill Paxton has died, aged 61.

(Insert obligatory Bill Pullman joke here, you monster.)
Game over, man. Game over. :cry:
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Judge Wapner also passed today
Total game show career losings = $171,522
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I was falling asleep as the show has run so long, but I wanted to make it to the last award for trivia purposes:

La La Land wins Best Picture at the 89th Academy Awards.

Spoiler
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

jeff6286 wrote:I was falling asleep as the show has run so long, but I wanted to make it to the last award for trivia purposes:

La La Land wins Best Picture at the 89th Academy Awards.
Should have stayed up a few minutes longer...

Upon presenting the award for Best Picture at the 89th Academy Awards, Warren Beatty is given an incorrect envelope containing the card for the previous award (Emma Stone of La La Land for Best Actress), and mistakenly announces La La Land as Best Picture. As La La Land's producers are giving their acceptance speeches, the actual result envelope is brought on-stage, revealing Moonlight as the true Best Picture of 2016.

EDIT: You added a spoiler to the post I quoted. I see what you did there.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Full winners list: http://ew.com/awards/2017/02/26/oscars- ... ners-list/

They're all probably fair game, but the six that are sure to come up eventually:

Picture: La La Land Moonlight
Director: Damien Chazelle, La La Land
Actor: Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea
Actress: Emma Stone, La La Land
Supp. Actor: Mahershala Ali, Moonlight (I hope to never have to pronounce this on TV, but on the bright side, it's easier than when he was on The 4400)
Supp. Actress: Viola Davis, Fences (3/4 of the EGOT now)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

FAMOUS TITLES

According to the title of an unpublished play by Tarell Alvin McCraney, it's when "Black Boys Look Blue"
Spoiler
What is (In) Moonlight?
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

A new gaming console the Nintendo Switch has become available. A release game "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" has become noteworthy because of its extremely strong reviews.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Robert Osborne, longtime host of Turner Classic Movies, has died. He was 84.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mo ... story.html
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

January 1: António Manuel de Oliveira Guterres of Portugal (where he was Prime Minister from 1995-2002) replaced Ban Ki-moon as Secretary-General of the United Nations.
Spoiler
Hey, it wasn't here already. I looked at the 2016 thread too to see if his election was mentioned in October.
EDIT: Oh, there it is.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »