Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by nlw44 »

bomtr wrote:never ask the audience about geography. americans don't know shit about geography.
Spoiler
That may be generally true, but the biggest problem with using the audience on this one is that she had already told the audience to eliminate Peru, Venezuela and, mistakenly, Colombia before using the lifeline. Who knows if they might have gotten it right if she hadn't led them in the wrong direction. Most of the adult contestants know better than to do that, but the kids...not so much.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

I was wondering if perchance some kind and gracious JBoarder might be able to record tomorrow's episode of Millionaire for me.

Because maybe I just like to have archival-quality recordings of total strangers' appearances on Millionaire, that's why! Or something. ;)
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Spoiler
No amount of screaming at the TV helped you, Julie, I'm sorry to say.

As I'm sure you know by now, The Honeymooners is well known for how few episodes were produced given the legacy it left.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

jkbrat wrote:I was wondering if perchance some kind and gracious JBoarder might be able to record tomorrow's episode of Millionaire for me.

Because maybe I just like to have archival-quality recordings of total strangers' appearances on Millionaire, that's why! Or something. ;)
I gave it my best shot: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... sp=sharing

It was my first attempt with editing by cutting the commercials and splicing it back together, so not sure how it turned out.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

MarkBarrett wrote:
jkbrat wrote:I was wondering if perchance some kind and gracious JBoarder might be able to record tomorrow's episode of Millionaire for me.

It was my first attempt with editing by cutting the commercials and splicing it back together, so not sure how it turned out.
I can't thank you enough, Mark, for doing this! I literally didn't see the show until I downloaded your file (I was flying in from out of town when it aired today in San Diego, and my DVR has been a little flaky since I moved this summer, so of course it hadn't recorded the episode for me :evil: ).

So... yeah. :?

I have a few thoughts to share about the game/experience; will try to get to them tonight (or maybe tomorrow) in another post.

But, again, Mark, I really appreciate the recording. Thank you!
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

MarkBarrett wrote:

Thanks a bunch for the upload, Mark. Really appreciate it.
Spoiler
Props to young Charles Horowitz for getting that $50k question. Countries in Africa and Shakespeare plays are known quantities for me, but I was estimating about 50-60 Vice Presidents, and had an estimate of 60-80 for the moons. He reasoned it out quite quickly.

Didn't have the foggiest clue for the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory question and have never read either book.

Didn't like jkbrat skewing the audience on the question where she later asked them. Related to this, were you aware that Bruce Willis was bald? Or simply didn't want to take any chances?

Very surprised at the missed TV show question. "4,000 episodes" was the giveaway. Some insanely long-running TV shows that are on for over a decade straight only manage 200-300 shows. Even Bonanza and Gunsmoke had about 400 and 600, respectively.

Ergo, the only one of those that could get that high is a daily/nightly show that was on for decades. Which of course leaves Johnny Carson.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

Spoiler
alietr wrote:No amount of screaming at the TV helped you, Julie, I'm sorry to say.
Well, thanks for trying anyway. :D
alietr wrote:As I'm sure you know by now, The Honeymooners is well known for how few episodes were produced given the legacy it left.
As a matter of fact, I was told that particular tidbit on my way off the stage (by my Plus One). So, yeah, I know it now. :lol:

But I had, of course, not heard it before. My only experience with "The Honeymooners" was watching it during college when it was on seven nights a week after the local news. I guess I just correlated frequency with quantity, without ever explicitly looking up or hearing about the actual number.

So, is that true of the other two incorrect answers as well (that they have few episodes relative to their cultural impact)? Or is it just obvious that >4000 could only apply to "The Tonight Show"? I had/have zero data on # of episodes = f(TV series), so I didn't really even have a calibration point to recognize 4000 as being a small, a medium, or a large number compared to the average TV series.

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

jkbrat wrote:
Spoiler
Or is it just obvious that >4000 could only apply to "The Tonight Show"?
Yes, this.
jkbrat wrote:
Spoiler
I had/have zero data on # of episodes = f(TV series), so I didn't really even have a calibration point to recognize 4000 as being a small, a medium, or a large number compared to the average TV series.
Interesting.
Spoiler
I guess you simply didn't pay much attention on the number, and after second-guessing yourself about Bruce Willis, thought it was relatively easy and went quickly with your first instinct?

That makes sense, although it wouldn't be too difficult to reason out what a gargantuan amount 4,000 would be, and the type of filming schedule that could rack up so many episodes, without prior knowledge.

Oh well. Props on being stoic after that reveal.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jkbrat wrote:
Spoiler
So, is that true of the other two incorrect answers as well (that they have few episodes relative to their cultural impact)? Or is it just obvious that >4000 could only apply to "The Tonight Show"? I had/have zero data on # of episodes = f(TV series), so I didn't really even have a calibration point to recognize 4000 as being a small, a medium, or a large number compared to the average TV series.
Spoiler
The other shows were weekly shows, like any sitcom, which was the key, since 4000/52 = about 80. None of them ran 80 years, so it must have been a daily show. Hence The Tonight Show.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Spoiler
I knew Carson hosted for about 30 years. I don't know how many new episodes they did every year, but it did air on a nightly basis, so at even just 150 a year, that's over 4,000.
But congrats on getting on the show and winning some money.

On the Kids Week player....
Spoiler
I read both books but could not remember how it ended. I recalled the president being in the book, but probably would have guessed something else (probably the balloon meal) since they had met the president earlier in the book. I knew the other question. Shakespeare's plays were in the upper 30s and Africa has around 45 or so countries. Trump is the 45th president, so we have probably had close to that many VPs, probably a few more since some had more than one. So that left the moons.
Golf

Post by Golf »

jkbrat wrote:As a matter of fact, I was told that particular tidbit on my way off the stage (by my Plus One). So, yeah, I know it now. :lol:
Ack. Hopefully you kicked your Plus One in a tender area.... :o :D
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Bamaman wrote:
Spoiler
I knew Carson hosted for about 30 years. I don't know how many new episodes they did every year, but it did air on a nightly basis, so at even just 150 a year, that's over 4,000.
But congrats on getting on the show and winning some money.

On the Kids Week player....
Spoiler
I read both books but could not remember how it ended. I recalled the president being in the book, but probably would have guessed something else (probably the balloon meal) since they had met the president earlier in the book. I knew the other question. Shakespeare's plays were in the upper 30s and Africa has around 45 or so countries. Trump is the 45th president, so we have probably had close to that many VPs, probably a few more since some had more than one. So that left the moons.
Congratulations, Julie!

Banaman, my reasoning was similar to yours on the Kids Week player's $50K question. I knew the $100K question from reading the book to my kids.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'm glad the upload of the 2/20 game worked and was helpful.

Julie: I've added a line on your Archive page to reflect your appearance on the show: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=7936

Like young Charles and others here I read the Dahl book years ago with my definition of "years ago" stretching even more than the contestant. I could not recall the detail, but I thought that was a great and fair $100,000 question.

The Carson shows in the vault was an unfortunate pairing of question to contestant as more often than not the $10K Q gets played. Host Chris could take away the dream of the Million, but the J! title remains in place.

The Audience contestant not knowing the song "I'm a Believer" was a capper to the episode. Even if she's too young for the Monkees, come on now, everyone has seen Shrek. :)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote:I'm glad the upload of the 2/20 game worked and was helpful.

Julie: I've added a line on your Archive page to reflect your appearance on the show: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=7936

Like young Charles and others here I read the Dahl book years ago with my definition of "years ago" stretching even more than the contestant. I could not recall the detail, but I thought that was a great and fair $100,000 question.

The Carson shows in the vault was an unfortunate pairing of question to contestant as more often than not the $10K Q gets played. Host Chris could take away the dream of the Million, but the J! title remains in place.

The Audience contestant not knowing the song "I'm a Believer" was a capper to the episode. Even if she's too young for the Monkees, come on now, everyone has seen Shrek. :)
I haven't seen Shrek
Total game show career losings = $171,522
RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RichmondJ »

Golf wrote:
jkbrat wrote:As a matter of fact, I was told that particular tidbit on my way off the stage (by my Plus One). So, yeah, I know it now. :lol:
Ack. Hopefully you kicked your Plus One in a tender area.... :o :D
Right? Usually honesty is the best policy, and I understand the impulse to share/brag on your own knowledge. But if you are a Plus One in this situation, I think the gallant thing to say is "yeah, that was a tough one, I wouldn't have been able to help you." And then you take your little secret To. The. Grave.

P.S. I have not seen Shrek either. But I'm plenty old enough for the Monkees.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I used the Feb. 22 episode to work on editing practice for an upload since it had multiple contestants and and some questions that the board members might enjoy. It's not the complete episode and only selected portions.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... sp=sharing
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

MarkBarrett wrote:I used the Feb. 22 episode to work on editing practice for an upload since it had multiple contestants and and some questions that the board members might enjoy. It's not the complete episode and only selected portions.

Thanks a bunch, Mark!
Spoiler
I'm excellent at movies overall, but average when it comes to Oscar trivia, as I've never bothered learning or memorizing any of it. Nevertheless, I found the $20k question very easy. I was able to name specific winners for Original Song, Actress, and Supporting Actor, but even if I couldn't, there has clearly been no winner for Director.

Also, how do you narrow it down to 2 choices, mention feeling more confident with one, and then proclaim it's "40%"?!

As for the population question, how did that guy pass the written test? I'm horrible at geography myself, but that was easier than many top-row Jeopardy geography clues.

And was the host Chris being sarcastically insulting by saying "Believe it or not!" in a shocked voice?

And I feel for KB; that was a much tougher $10k question than the $20k question earlier on. I wasn't certain between steakhouses and tailors myself. Props to him for pulling the trigger on the right one.
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

MarkBarrett wrote: Julie: I've added a line on your Archive page to reflect your appearance on the show: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=7936
I hate to be the one screaming for attention, Mark, but...could I get one too? :P http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=6740
I'm not sure which airdate you typically use, but they're both listed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qjHOXFBQEs

While I'm at it, this guy needs one too: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=9242
アタックチャンス!
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote:I used the Feb. 22 episode to work on editing practice for an upload since it had multiple contestants and and some questions that the board members might enjoy. It's not the complete episode and only selected portions.

Nice! Thanks MB.
Spoiler
The Oscar question was easy, but I have memorized the lists (mostly...), so I could name actress/supp. actor/song right off the bat.

'Peter Luger' meant nothing to me, 'cut' was ambiguous, but 'prime' had me leaning towards steakhouse immediately.

"I was leaning towards Japan and that cleared it up!" Japan jumped out at him, as having a population of 8M. If I was eating, I might've choked :shock:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Spoiler
Oscars are my weak spot but I got this one. I figures one had got one for song and Halle Berry was a Best Actress. Wasn't sure about supporting actor, but figured a black winning director would have big news. I think a woman recently won that for the first time. They seemed to know it, but if you aren't sure, just bank the money and leave. He is a school teacher and looked young, so he probably could use the money and felt it wasn't worth the risk.

I think he just ignored the bit about the population and thought of a country that would be likely to have bomb shelters and was in a war. Using that logic, Japan makes sense, but the population is way too high. The 2017 census for them was almost 127 million people.

It was Curly Joe, not Curly, who was i9n that film. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059558/

He was pumped about the flag question. Probably the same reaction someone on here would have had.

I would have had to 50/50 the steak question as well, but got it right.
Thanks for sharing this, Mark. Nice job on the edits.