Learned League 72 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by StevenH »

I'm back in Rundle D Continental, but this time in div 1. This will be the first season in awhile that I won't have Bamaman and dhkendall as rivals (though maybe that's a good thing since I usually lost to them both). In fact, I don't recognize anyone who is in my rundle for LL 72 :o
rpryor03
Contributor

Post by rpryor03 »

What is this, exactly?
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

cbec wrote:
RandyG wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:I'll be hanging on by my fingernails in Horizon A with woof, Ryno, reddpen, and KillerTomato. Did I miss anyone?
You, of course, mean Continental A, my old stomping ground.

Well, you won't have me to stomp on anymore. I just woke up from a 2-season absence and discovered I'm in the new Prairie A.... with cbec and a whole lot of names that I don't recognize. Huge rundle with 32.
And we shall meet on MD1. I finally get to face my referrer!
Finally!

And then... after Day 1 I'll have no place to go but up!
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

MarkBarrett wrote:
RandyG wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:I'll be hanging on by my fingernails in Horizon A with woof, Ryno, reddpen, and KillerTomato. Did I miss anyone?

Well, you won't have me to stomp on anymore. I just woke up from a 2-season absence and discovered I'm in the new Prairie A.... with cbec and a whole lot of names that I don't recognize. Huge rundle with 32.
Jason Sterlacci has posted here and been on J!
Another in your group posts here not using his real name and has not been on J!
bomtr = BawdonG (now in first place, and my MD1 opponent), slam = HofingM. Can't say I'll miss cbec, who was pretty much a guaranteed loss for me each season. FleitasC did pretty well on the show too, till he ran into Joon Pahk. Which A Cont denizen is Ryno? Clearly I don't spend enough time here these days.

Good luck to all. Is anyone else a little embarrassed at how much success or failure in LL affects their psyche from day to day?
In and out of the pool four times
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

1stlvlthinker wrote:Bayou R. Here we go! I've been doing pretty poorly at the 1DS, but it's all fun anyways, and I'll learn a lot!
Most 1DS's are harder than the actual league, so you shouldn't worry too much.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

morbeedo wrote:Any advice for a rookie?
The commissioner really loves 80's pop culture, and defense in rookie leagues is a total crapshoot. Unless you know that a question is something that is a lot easier for someone in the part of the country that your opponent is from (or other country your opponent might be from), just assign the points by how likely you think people in general will get the answer, whether or not your got that question right. For example, there was once a question to name one of the Quad Cities, and my opponent was from Rock Island, IL. That was the easiest 0 to assign in my nine seasons of playing.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Answer the questions correctly.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

mrparadise wrote:
Blue Lion wrote:I've going to play in B Horizon this season. Last season I finished 4th on tie-breakers, but got promoted because of attrition and/or population of newly-created leagues.

Tomorrow, I'm off to Home Depot to buy new batteries for my thinking cap. Think I'll need them.

See you in B Horizon. I'm thinking of getting my cap relined, or refurbished, or something.
I'll be there as well. See y'all soon!
Sprinkles are for winners.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

rpryor03 wrote:What is this, exactly?
An online, invitation-only, daily trivia quiz. More information in this Washington Post article from a couple years ago.

Unfortunately, it's too late for you to be invited to participate in the season that begins next week, but keep an eye on this thread in a couple of months.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

In B Laguna I've got ZollingerJ and TuckerP from my ToC, as well as VirtelL. Another name I recognize that you guys wouldn't is PampuschP, who's an O'Brien's-goer. This is his second season; he spent literally his entire rookie season at the top of his rundle.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

morbeedo: Frequently, there are clues within the clues (if that makes sense) in a way that it took me more than a season to become attuned to. Occasionally there are quibbles about the wording of questions, but Thorsten is generally very careful to choose just the right wording.

If you're concerned about inadvertently forfeiting, you can opt to be sent a reminder if you haven't submitted by a certain time.

rpryor03: You could browse the Learned League site to get more information. In particular, there's a link to look at sample questions from past seasons, and you can look at previous days' questions from the current season. That should give you a flavor of whether you think you'd like to participate.
dklee12
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by dklee12 »

Based on his name and other profile details, I feel pretty sure that a recent Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist is one of the rookies in R Highland Division 2.

I'm back in A Highland again with most of the same names from last season (though a few have been shuffled off to Glacier), along with a handful of new faces. Good luck to all Boardies this season!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Rule 1: Don't cheat
Rule 1: Don't forfeit
Rule higher than 1: Have fun!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dnbguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by dnbguy »

I'm back in D Pacific 2 this season. It's always fun looking at the standings before the season starts if you have a last name that starts with B. Good luck everyone!
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

dklee12 wrote:Based on his name and other profile details, I feel pretty sure that a recent Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist is one of the rookies in R Highland Division 2
If so, he came up on Jeopardy on October 7, 2015. Double Jeopardy, "Books and Authors", fourth row: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5061
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

reddpen wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
RandyG wrote:

Jason Sterlacci has posted here and been on J!
Another in your group posts here not using his real name and has not been on J!
bomtr = BawdonG (now in first place, and my MD1 opponent), slam = HofingM. Can't say I'll miss cbec, who was pretty much a guaranteed loss for me each season. FleitasC did pretty well on the show too, till he ran into Joon Pahk. Which A Cont denizen is Ryno? Clearly I don't spend enough time here these days.

Good luck to all. Is anyone else a little embarrassed at how much success or failure in LL affects their psyche from day to day?
Ryno is HallR, I think.

Jason is one of my referrals, but I couldn't remember his board name. Sorry! The real identities of bomtr and slam also, apparently, slipped my mind.

I'm not going to miss cbec either. :-)

Speaking of how LL affects one's psyche, I'm still kicking myself for missing two questions on the Hamilton 1DS.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

My advice is reread all the questions fully before you submit. Make sure you are really answering the question that was asked.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
My advice is reread all the questions fully before you submit. Make sure you are really answering the question that was asked.
There is nothing worse than submitting and then seeing that you didn't RTFQ. Over the seasons, I've thankfully been able to reduce that.
JLJ
Valued Contributor

Post by JLJ »

FWIW, I think one of the biggest things that I did that helped in my rookie season (last season, BTW), was to just remember to take your time with it.

I tend to look at the questions right and early in the morning, but I also tend not to answer until much later in the day. You'll be surprised by how much info you can pull up from the recesses of your brain when there's no serious time pressure. I'll reference last season's question regarding "Thanatopsis," which I had neither read nor thought about in about 25 years. However, the response came to me at about 2 pm, while otherwise occupied with my day.

So, as for me, I'd suggest just slowing down. It's not really a race.
I'm living proof to show that a good attitude, a Southern accent, a ridiculous beard, and a middling amount of trivia knowledge can get you onto Jeopardy!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Wake up early make coffee (discovered by a 9th century Ethiopian sheepherding dude), read the clues, then go to work school or play and think on it all day. Sometimes during the course of the day something will jog your memory or you will recogitate it. Then go write it in and after the reveal wiki all the stuff you learned and even the stuff you knew to learn more! :P
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!